Ryan Kelly is a victim
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject:

We're the victims. This is an epic offensively bad season, and of course his version of defense shows it's ugly head but skip that for now. Using advanced metrics, in the last 9 years only 3 other characters on the Lakers have come close to matching this mess, the Offensive Hall of Shame...

2014-2015 Ryan Kelly
2010-2011 Steve Blake
2010-2011 Luke Walton
2009-2010 Josh Powell.

Since it's a tank year we will give Kelly the team MVP though. Grats Ryan.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Perhaps he should seek out a team that needs a the stretch 4.

when Jordan Hill is out there stroking threes but Kelly can get no minutes as a stretch 4 it says something about Scott's incompetency at times.

even HE has admitted he's playing Kelly out of position and he should be playing him at the 4, but he wants to do it a "little longer". Seriously... wtf!!
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

Ryan Kelly is garbage
Anthony Peeler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

At SF, Kelly is atrociously bad. At PF, he might be just bad.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Everything Kelly does is predicated on being at 4. His range, quickness, defense, all of it is better at the 4. Asking him to play the 3 on either end is brutal. He doesn't have the reaction speed out on the front of the defense, while he is passable and sometimes even good defensively against guys his own size.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject:

The moment Popovich takes Kelly to replace Bonner (and he would in a heartbeat IMO) I'm sure a few haters will change their tune,,,
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
The moment Popovich takes Kelly to replace Bonner (and he would in a heartbeat IMO) I'm sure a few haters will change their tune,,,

Yep. When you combine a preseason injury + inconsistent playing time + playing out of position + playing for a terrible team = not exactly a recipe for success. Kelly can play a role for teams in the nba, but you won't see it ion this squad. Hopefully he can stay healthy next year and we can get some better talent. I think he and Randle could be nice together with Randle's drive and kick game.
nba_lakers_fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Ryan Kelly is garbage
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Everything Kelly does is predicated on being at 4. His range, quickness, defense, all of it is better at the 4. Asking him to play the 3 on either end is brutal. He doesn't have the reaction speed out on the front of the defense, while he is passable and sometimes even good defensively against guys his own size.

this.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject:

What do you know..Ryan Kelly plays Power Forward and has a good game. Who would have guessed!?!
cvballa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
What do you know..Ryan Kelly plays Power Forward and has a good game. Who would have guessed!?!

I agree 100%. He has a good role in the league as a stretch 4 with high bb IQ. Probably not starter material, but could be a rotation guy.

Going into the off season we should cut Sacre and replace him with Black. Kelly should be the 5th big on the roster. Try and resign Ed Davis. And the other 2 spots should be filled in the draft and free agency.

Next Seasons Roster:

PG: Clarkson/FA/Draft
SG: Kobe/Young/Ellington
SF: FA/Draft/FA
PF: Randle/Kelly/Draft
C: Draft or FA/Ed Davis/Black

Lot of work to do... damn.... I have faith in Mitch though.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject:

cvballa wrote:
MJST wrote:

I agree 100%. He has a good role in the league as a stretch 4 with high bb IQ. Probably not starter material, but could be a rotation guy.

Going into the off season we should cut Sacre and replace him with Black. Kelly should be the 5th big on the roster. Try and resign Ed Davis. And the other 2 spots should be filled in the draft and free agency.

Next Seasons Roster:

there is only 1 task. sign jordan or butler.

okafor/ed
randle/black/kelly
butler/nick
kobe/levert
clarkson/lin
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
cvballa wrote:
MJST wrote:

Next Seasons Roster:

okafor/ed
randle/black/kelly
butler/nick
kobe/levert
clarkson/lin

I'd take Draymond Green and play him alongside Julius and switch everything between them on defense to create a nightmare for the opponents offense.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject:

Victim is a bad choice of words.

A better argument to make is: Ryan Kelly hasn't been put in a position to succeed.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:
Yong wrote:
cvballa wrote:
MJST wrote:

Next Seasons Roster:

okafor/ed
randle/black/kelly
butler/nick
kobe/levert
clarkson/lin

I'd take Draymond Green and play him alongside Julius and switch everything between them on defense to create a nightmare for the opponents offense.

the number of quality SF free agents make me conclude that we must procure top 3 to get either okafor or towns

at C we very much only have a shot at jordan. but at sf we have leonard butler draymond and tobias
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Victim is a bad choice of words.

A better argument to make is: Ryan Kelly hasn't been put in a position to succeed.

pretty much, at least till tonight. He matches up much better vs Power Forwards and can actually do more offensively when guarded by them. He isn't getting away with that on Small Forwards and they are too quick for him as well as too quick to close out on him when they try to play the perimeter.

He's a stretch 4, he should never have played the 3 for 3/4ths of the season he's had.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject:

I though power forwards also had to rebound, push people out of the paint and week side defensive help. I've never seen Kelly do any of those things. Who gives a damn about a stretch 4 if u can't do any of those other things and can't really shoot either. Bottom line Kelly is pathetic, a total wuss and embarrassing to have on this roster.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
I though power forwards also had to rebound, push people out of the paint and week side defensive help. I've never seen Kelly do any of those things. Who gives a damn about a stretch 4 if u can't do any of those other things and can't really shoot either. Bottom line Kelly is pathetic, a total wuss and embarrassing to have on this roster.

So, if a 6'11 guy who has played center in college, was drafted to be a PF, but then is forced to play SF (and played miserably there) struggles, maybe the reason is that he's been playing comically out of position?

At under $2m, and if placed in his real position (PF) I think he's a good deal.
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject:

It would be nice if they play Kelly at PF for the next 4 or 5 games and he magically shows that at the 4 position he can produce and that playing at the 3 was the real cause for his sucky play.

If he can prove himself at the 4 and that he can eventually be a back up PF to eventual starter Randle, that's one more piece of the puzzle. I would think every team could use a stretch 4, especially if they can get a dominant inside post player like Okafor. Even if they don't get Okafor it couldn't hurt to have someone who could spread the court.

C/Black
Randle/Kelly
SF/Johnson
Clarkson/?
SG?/JBrown

EDavis/Boozer/JHill/Lin will probably all be gone....right?
Anthony Peeler
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Agree. Kelly is like a poor man's hobo's version of Ryan Andersen. Andersen will actually rebound a little. For Kelly to be useful, he needs to get to around 6 rebounds per 36 minutes, and shoot 38%+ on 3PT.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

Anthony Peeler wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Agree. Kelly is like a poor man's hobo's version of Ryan Andersen. Andersen will actually rebound a little. For Kelly to be useful, he needs to get to around 6 rebounds per 36 minutes, and shoot 38%+ on 3PT.

I'd agree with those numbers (maybe even a higher rebound rate). I think he deserves one more chance next year to prove he can stick as a backup PF. Not as a SF.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Amazing what being put back at your natural position can do for you...
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Exactly. While I wish he's playing PG for Tank purposes, it's hilarious how people were going off on him while he was playing SF. How would Tarik Black fare at SG?
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject:

Hi All,

I know it has only been a few games that he has been playing PF again, but has anyone gained even a glimmer of hope that Ryan Kelly could be a productive bench player next year? Has he redeemed himself even a little bit?

He has had a couple of decent games (intuitively speaking....please don't stat me to death) and it seems like he has been starting to find his shot again.

If he could live up at least partially to people's expectations he could add several useful aspects to the Lakers arsenal like: outside shooting, passing, another ball handling big and he can make free throws.

I'm wondering if there is a scenario where he could play center to create spacing for Randle to drive inside and or post up. Maybe on an occasional fastbreaking offense? Randle is supposedly a good rebounder and maybe Clarkson can crash the boards like he has been doing to make up for Kelly's rebounding weakness. They would probably need a monster rebounding SF to help out too.

I'm not expecting miracles yet but just hoping he can still become something useful for the Lakers, after all, his contract is cheap and they're stuck with him anyways.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: