John Oliver destroys the NCAA
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: John Oliver destroys the NCAA

Great.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/16/john-oliver-destroys-the-ncaa-and-march-madness-of-last-week-tonight-video/
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject:

I always thought that whole system was F'd up. Which is why I am not for pushing the NBA age limit higher. I think players right out of HS should be able to join the NBA if they are good enough. When you realize how much money they make off of these players every year its eye popping.

South Park had a funny episode about this as well.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

Good find. I think I will start watching this show.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Why is John Oliver so annoying
PrairieAve
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Good find. I think I will start watching this show.

I haven't watched a single episode, but I've been following the Millennial-friendly Youtube segments from the show. Informative material (the humor is just "ha").
-Avenue of the Champions- -RIP Dr Buss- #824
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject:

That was freakin' awesome! So much ammunition. So much BS on the NCAA's part. And Dabo Swinney-What a (bleep) hypocrite!

Great find!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject:

ummm.... if any athlete don't want to be "slaved" by the NCAA, they can easily go somewhere else and get paid. it's not like they are forced to play for an NCAA team. case in point, Brandon Jennings.

fact is, these athletes are given a platform to showcase their talents, giving them more chances of advancing into the NBA. but it's not mandatory.

however, I am all for giving these athletes allowances, free board and lodging, food no question. should also be given, gears and equipment as well a medical.

in addition, they should also be given courses geared towards pro athletes, like how to invest money, how to handle fame, etc.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject:

They get a scholarship. So technically they already get paid and the NCAA brakes their own rules.
Sure they get a platform to showcase their talent - but that is only important to less than 2%. Besides - they still can showcase their talent if they get fed properly. Even if they get some kind of allowance if you don't want to call it salary.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
They get a scholarship. So technically they already get paid and the NCAA brakes their own rules.
Sure they get a platform to showcase their talent - but that is only important to less than 2%. Besides - they still can showcase their talent if they get fed properly. Even if they get some kind of allowance if you don't want to call it salary.

Definitely need more food. The going hungry part was pretty sad. The cafeteria should be open for an additional late night meal, or even 2 late night meals at 10pm and midnight. Much more discretionary dollars on their ID cards. And I don't know if their per diem is decent when traveling, but it needs to be a lot higher than a group of 60 year olds think it should be. The older generation has a deflated view of what things cost these days. No clue what a D1 athlete gets for per diem when traveling but when I was playing D3, we would go to the airport and get like $6 for per diem. When we arrived in a city, we might get $10-$11 dollars to last us 18 hours of eating. Then of course the whole team wants to go out to the restaurant next to the hotel, so you basically have enough for 1 small meal to last you until you get to the pre-game meal the next day. I was still given an allowance type deal from my family so I was okay, but if you don't have that luxury, its very likely you are going hungry a lot of the time while playing as a D1 athlete.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
ummm.... if any athlete don't want to be "slaved" by the NCAA, they can easily go somewhere else and get paid. it's not like they are forced to play for an NCAA team. case in point, Brandon Jennings.

fact is, these athletes are given a platform to showcase their talents, giving them more chances of advancing into the NBA. but it's not mandatory.

however, I am all for giving these athletes allowances, free board and lodging, food no question. should also be given, gears and equipment as well a medical.

in addition, they should also be given courses geared towards pro athletes, like how to invest money, how to handle fame, etc.

If you want to disappear off the radar screen, playing overseas is a great way to do it....I guess its great if you want to remain a mystery and potentially mask your flaws to scouts and hope they draft you anyways, thats one way to do it. At the end of the day college basketball provides the most visibility to the path to the NBA. Playing in the D-League as well will get your lost in the shuffle. The NCAA has a great racket going, so they probably won't let it go without a fight.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject:

That vid was hilarious. He captured all the reasons why I don't follow college sports. Besides reforming financial assistance rules, the NCAA should put a limit on the amount of talent that can go to a school. This would spread the wealth and make for even better competition.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject:

Pretty one sided and yes the points are valid - BUT to what extent?

if you're not even a starter, heck even if you are a starter but NOT the star... why would you ever sacrifice your studies for the sport?

It's still the athletes choice to sacrifice an education (they likely wouldn't have had the opportunity to experience) to chase the 2%.

And sure those facilities make them out to look completely selfish, but those facilities are there for all athletes for decades to come. To help prevent things like injuries and give them and hundreds of other kids the best chance at the 2%.

If anything i'd like to see the $$ split up to other departments of the campus. Wouldn't the athletes agree to that moreso since 98% of them will be relying on their studies?

Momma's lights would be getting shut off if you were studying to be a lawyer or doctor too. Now imagine if you didn't get that scholarship...

and to O'Bannon.. you made 3.9mil while getting tossed out of the league. Shoulda put some of that confidence about being cheated into your chosen profession.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject:

Going after the hypocrisy of the NCAA is like shooting fish in a barrel. I agree with most if not all of it, but I thought Oliver did a lukewarm job of presenting it. The cat poster was funny. The fake video game was funny. The rest of it felt kind of manic. But then, this is a issue I've been following (and posting about here) for years. The only thing that actually surprised me was that Dabo Sweeney would actually say that in front of a camera.

The NCAA's house of cards is coming down. It won't happen in one dramatic moment. It will be an accumulation of smaller changes. The winds of change are blowing.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Going after the hypocrisy of the NCAA is like shooting fish in a barrel. I agree with most if not all of it, but I thought Oliver did a lukewarm job of presenting it. The cat poster was funny. The fake video game was funny. The rest of it felt kind of manic. But then, this is a issue I've been following (and posting about here) for years. The only thing that actually surprised me was that Dabo Sweeney would actually say that in front of a camera.

The NCAA's house of cards is coming down. It won't happen in one dramatic moment. It will be an accumulation of smaller changes. The winds of change are blowing.

That was amazing to me. There is some serious intellectual disconnect going on. And when he said, "When that happens, I'll do something else....." Really, at $3 Mil per. Please!
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

It's a racket.

Sure, the NCAA is a bigger platform. That doesn't change the fact that they are taking advantage of these young athletes.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

That was amazing to me. There is some serious intellectual disconnect going on. And when he said, "When that happens, I'll do something else....." Really, at $3 Mil per. Please!

Yeah, the amount of riches the coaches enjoy, on the backs of their "students" is really the most appalling thing. It's amazing how much praise they receive. I think coaches salary need to be tied to graduation rates. If they're saying the #1 most important thing is student education, then graduating their students is paramount.

Of course they'd just do things like Roy Williams and NC have been doing.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

Mark Emmert, Dabo Swinney and your ilk (along with anyone else here and elsewhere with the temerity to defend this system) ... paint your faces, you POS clowns.

It's bad enough that the political spectrum overflows with obtuse, bloated, (and often) pasty windbags ... but college athletics, too? Sitting through a session of Mark Emmert bloviating about fairness is almost unbearable for me. The audacity to suggest that college athletics is an economical losing proposition for the NCAA and its constituent institutions is an unmitigated farce.

Please save the false dilemma re: lower profile sports, female sports, disparities between "big" schools and "small" schools, etc. Those are all smoke screens to distract us from the fact that Emmert is making $1.7M (and likely much more), guys who have won NOTHING like Swinney are making $3M+, and athletes like Jameis Winston are almost drawn-and-quartered for possibly purloining $35 in food to eat ...

No, I'll propose the 20x rule ...

Clemson, you want to pay Dabo Swinney $3M? Fine ... but you better make it work that every player on his team is likewise earning $150K.

What's that? You can't make it work? It forces you to operate the football program at a loss? TFB ...

See if you can't maybe pay Swinney $500K (the market rate for his B.S. + M.B.A. from Alabama is about 16% of that figure) and then pay those 90 players $25K each ... oops, that works! I even saved you $250K to burn on the additional FICA or whatever.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject:

One of the many legal rackets in America
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

You don't gotta go thru all that BS to learn Swahili either. 169 bucks.

Just from looking at that link, I learned there are no X or Q in Swahili.

http://www.rosettastone.com/learn-swahili
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
cathy78 wrote:

Definitely need more food. The going hungry part was pretty sad. The cafeteria should be open for an additional late night meal, or even 2 late night meals at 10pm and midnight. Much more discretionary dollars on their ID cards. And I don't know if their per diem is decent when traveling, but it needs to be a lot higher than a group of 60 year olds think it should be. The older generation has a deflated view of what things cost these days. No clue what a D1 athlete gets for per diem when traveling but when I was playing D3, we would go to the airport and get like $6 for per diem. When we arrived in a city, we might get $10-$11 dollars to last us 18 hours of eating. Then of course the whole team wants to go out to the restaurant next to the hotel, so you basically have enough for 1 small meal to last you until you get to the pre-game meal the next day. I was still given an allowance type deal from my family so I was okay, but if you don't have that luxury, its very likely you are going hungry a lot of the time while playing as a D1 athlete.

The food these guys are talking about not getting enough of is junk food at that, which basically means they're at the point of eating whatever they can get just to feel FULL, not to be healthy athletes. You got these athletes without access to decent protein and veggies. Antithetical practice, no? If I worked my ass off in the gym, I'd wanna steak, potato, salad, etc. It would burn my arse both literally and figuratively to have to rely on a Taco Bell bag after puttin in work for the uni.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Free education. Some of those schools have kids in debt for 40 years after graduation. Free food. Free housing. Priority registration. Free parking. Perks, free clothes. Sounds like they are getting paid to me. Oh, you mean millions? So they can buy 15 cars and houses and all that horse (bleep) that they are going to lose in 10 year anyway? If you do not want to go to college and be "exploited". Then it is YOUR Choice not too. You can wait 3 years after high school to be eligible. and basketball players can go somewhere else to show their skills for a year.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Free education. Some of those schools have kids in debt for 40 years after graduation. Free food. Free housing. Priority registration. Free parking. Perks, free clothes. Sounds like they are getting paid to me. Oh, you mean millions? So they can buy 15 cars and houses and all that horse (bleep) that they are going to lose in 10 year anyway? If you do not want to go to college and be "exploited". Then it is YOUR Choice not too. You can wait 3 years after high school to be eligible. and basketball players can go somewhere else to show their skills for a year.

Those kids in debt for 40 years after graduation are invariably NOT at the epicenter of a multi-billion $ enterprise (annually) ... how is that fact lost on you (and others who are so quick to blithely dismiss reality)?

Jameis Winston bears direct responsibility for a significant portion of the tens of millions of dollars in income realized by the Athletics Department at Florida State University over the past few years. On the other hand, the random student majoring in Sociology at FSU didn't deliver a single penny other than his or her (pathetically meager in comparison) tuition to the university's bursar over that period ...

Nobody argues for millions in remuneration for athletes. But since you brought it up, how exactly do you justify the millions that are paid to most Top 25 coaches in men's basketball and football? I ask, because when I checked the statistics for the most recent season, I found that Urban Meyer had zero yards passing, zero yards rushing, zero yards receiving, and zero tackles. Same goes for Kevin Ollie ... that dude didn't score a single point, hit the boards for a single rebound, or rack a single assist last season.

Finally, the "take it or leave it" approach you seem to espouse isn't worth addressing in great detail ... there's a really unpleasant message underlying your comments, so I'll leave that alone b/c I prefer my intolerance in less overt doses.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Those kids in debt for 40 years after graduation are invariably NOT at the epicenter of a multi-billion $ enterprise (annually) ... how is that fact lost on you (and others who are so quick to blithely dismiss reality)?

Jameis Winston bears direct responsibility for a significant portion of the tens of millions of dollars in income realized by the Athletics Department at Florida State University over the past few years. On the other hand, the random student majoring in Sociology at FSU didn't deliver a single penny other than his or her (pathetically meager in comparison) tuition to the university's bursar over that period ...

Nobody argues for millions in remuneration for athletes. But since you brought it up, how exactly do you justify the millions that are paid to most Top 25 coaches in men's basketball and football? I ask, because when I checked the statistics for the most recent season, I found that Urban Meyer had zero yards passing, zero yards rushing, zero yards receiving, and zero tackles. Same goes for Kevin Ollie ... that dude didn't score a single point, hit the boards for a single rebound, or rack a single assist last season.

Finally, the "take it or leave it" approach you seem to espouse isn't worth addressing in great detail ... there's a really unpleasant message underlying your comments, so I'll leave that alone b/c I prefer my intolerance in less overt doses.

There aren't any undertones. Your mind is in the media hype world of undertones. I'm stating reality here. Go run your own business and then come talk to me. Do the athletes have to worry about benefits, academic standards, property taxes, state laws, bills, enrollment, managing staffs, making sure parking structures need to be fixed, make sure classrooms are lit. No. They don't. They sit back, get opportunities to learn without one dime coming out of their pocket or their parents pockets. The ability to educate themselves so they can better themselves for the future. And so on....

Universities have to continue to lose money in several sports because of Title IX. There are only a handful of players on a team that actually have a legit gripe about the pay structure in college sports. If you start paying even one athlete in college, you have opened a box that even Pandora would blush at. It can not happen and will not happen. I do not care how fair or unfair it is. You start paying amateurs, college sports is done. Colleges will lose money and then some other entity will have to come in and try to fix the (bleep) storm it creates. If you need an example, look what happen to the Olympics the last 20 years. Fans in Michigan come in droves to Ann Arbor. All college fans say the same thing, they love the amateur game because its kids playing for something. Pro game is watered down entitles aholes. Thats why ann arbor fills 100K+ and the Lions can only hold 60K. As well as all the other pro teams.

Imagine this for a second. Imagine college athletes getting paid, and then imagine the agents, the managers, the boosters lying back and saying, ok, we do not have to pay them anymore. OH, yah, you cant imagine. Because it wouldn't. It would get worse. It will cause one big cluster eff. because then, if the colleges or NCAA enforce agents and managers and the booster giving the player more money, they will be able to come back and use the "it's unfair that the colleges and the NCAA pay them but we cant".

There are options for both basketball players and football players. You do not want to be exploited? Play in Canada for 3 years, get paid and then get drafted. Warren Moon did it, you didnt see him crying like all these babies and he didnt get a chance because he was freakin Black. Basketball players are already playing overseas so there you go. This is America. You have choices. Life isn't (bleep) fair. We kids use to hear that a lot growing up. Now, we have to hear how it is never our fault, its THEM. Every damn corporation is corrupt in America. NCAA, GE, Microsoft, doesn't freakin matter. You wanna live where everything is fair and equal, go move to Sweden or some lousy country like that. We individuality is looked sacrilege. So I heard....
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
the association wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

There aren't any undertones. Your mind is in the media hype world of undertones. I'm stating reality here. Go run your own business and then come talk to me. Do the athletes have to worry about benefits, academic standards, property taxes, state laws, bills, enrollment, managing staffs, making sure parking structures need to be fixed, make sure classrooms are lit. No. They don't. They sit back, get opportunities to learn without one dime coming out of their pocket or their parents pockets. The ability to educate themselves so they can better themselves for the future. And so on....

Universities have to continue to lose money in several sports because of Title IX. There are only a handful of players on a team that actually have a legit gripe about the pay structure in college sports. If you start paying even one athlete in college, you have opened a box that even Pandora would blush at. It can not happen and will not happen. I do not care how fair or unfair it is. You start paying amateurs, college sports is done. Colleges will lose money and then some other entity will have to come in and try to fix the (bleep) storm it creates. If you need an example, look what happen to the Olympics the last 20 years. Fans in Michigan come in droves to Ann Arbor. All college fans say the same thing, they love the amateur game because its kids playing for something. Pro game is watered down entitles aholes. Thats why ann arbor fills 100K+ and the Lions can only hold 60K. As well as all the other pro teams.

Imagine this for a second. Imagine college athletes getting paid, and then imagine the agents, the managers, the boosters lying back and saying, ok, we do not have to pay them anymore. OH, yah, you cant imagine. Because it wouldn't. It would get worse. It will cause one big cluster eff. because then, if the colleges or NCAA enforce agents and managers and the booster giving the player more money, they will be able to come back and use the "it's unfair that the colleges and the NCAA pay them but we cant".

There are options for both basketball players and football players. You do not want to be exploited? Play in Canada for 3 years, get paid and then get drafted. Warren Moon did it, you didnt see him crying like all these babies and he didnt get a chance because he was freakin Black. Basketball players are already playing overseas so there you go. This is America. You have choices. Life isn't (bleep) fair. We kids use to hear that a lot growing up. Now, we have to hear how it is never our fault, its THEM. Every damn corporation is corrupt in America. NCAA, GE, Microsoft, doesn't freakin matter. You wanna live where everything is fair and equal, go move to Sweden or some lousy country like that. We individuality is looked sacrilege. So I heard....

You fail to explain why coaches are worth millions in compensation, yet not one of them has to spend a moment worrying about the crumbling parking structures, the lecture hall lighting, or those troublesome state laws.

You fail to address the BILLIONS in revenue EVERY YEAR that are only possible through the hard work of those athletes.

You suggest that it's true, but fail to provide any authority for your argument that athletes on the women's soccer and men's swimming teams MUST be funded / compensated the same amount as the those on the football and men's basketball teams. I don't think Title IX goes that far ...

You fail to mention that all of those insidious elements like dishonest boosters, disruptive player agents, etc. ALREADY exist and operate with impunity, out in the open and right under the noses of most major universities ...

You fail to explain what all of those Big House attendees will do with their new free time in bustling, metropolitan Ann Arbor without Big Blue to entertain them many Saturdays in the Fall?

You just fail ... over and over again.

But I'll tell you what I like A LOT: seeing someone like you appear so desperately anxious to keep things exactly as they are, and to cross your arms with the "life's not fair, take it or leave it" nonsense, my view that reform is necessary is affirmed 100x over again.

Fair is Jameis Winston making $4.1M+ this year and Jimbo Fisher making $250K ... but I'll settle for merely "still completely F'd up and unfair": Jimbo Fisher making his $4.1M+ and Jameis Winston making enough ($25K is a decent starting point, I think) via stipend to buy some crab legs every once in a while ...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
the association wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

LOL, you sound like a worried NCAA president that their money train is soon coming to an end. Fact is these guys are gonna get compensated sooner or later. They won't get millions, but certainly better than a stipend to buy a box of cup of noodles. And by the way, if you want to talk about running a business, then the NCAA is violating a bunch of labor laws already.

BTW, the amateurism excuse doesn't work anymore. Not when these guys are making billion dollar tv deals, the organizing NCAA presidents and officers get something like 1 million dollars a year to organize something like college bowl game. Then if some college athlete wants to get a free meal or sell their personal autograph, the NCAA comes down hard on them to trying to get a piece of the pie.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: