30 for 30 Christian Laetnner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: 30 for 30 Christian Laetnner

Anybody else watch this? Was pretty good. Jalen Rose always seems so butthurt lol (not that he has no reason not to be, but whether it be Laetnner, Kobe, or Skip Bayless, he just gets his buttons pushed so easily).
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Don't forget Grant Hill....
Fab Five could've been something if his buddy didn't call that ill advised time out.
Gleedaniel13
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject:

I agree that we will not also forget Grant Hill with the contribution he made.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject:

Though I'm still a little salty that he managed to deprive Shaquille of his deserved spot on the original Dream Team, I have to admit that I find Laettner significantly more likable today than I did during his Blue Devils run ...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Gleedaniel13 wrote:

Hurley even. At college level, he did matter. In the pros, eh... Lasted longer with the average man's physique than most, but was an afterthought. He almost died in a car crash outside of Arco Arena early on, lucky enough to still be with us.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Gleedaniel13 wrote:

Hurley even. At college level, he did matter. In the pros, eh... Lasted longer with the average man's physique than most, but was an afterthought. He almost died in a car crash outside of Arco Arena early on, lucky enough to still be with us.

I got to coach with Hurley's dad a bit last summer (Bob Hurley Sr), and he said that the accident took a lot out of his son, and pretty much ended any chance of him sticking in the NBA. Had a hard time sleeping and training due to the complications from the accident. I believe he's coaching at Buffalo University these days.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait to watch this on DVR. I'm not prone to nostalgia (quite the opposite), but this was right at the end of the Golden Era of College Basketball. This was still during the days when declaring prior to the completion of your junior year was nearly unheard of. Today you have teams that are led by talented youngsters or experienced veterans, but rarely both. I'm glad that kids are getting their money ASAP, but college basketball has suffered, and you'll never see teams like those again. For those of you who aren't old enough to remember these teams, imagine how good this year's Kentucky team would be if they stayed together for 3 years. That's what Duke & UNLV were like in the early 90's.

Anyway...the title of documentary is genius. Christian Laettner was the embodiment of the snobby elitist, and the disdain for him had different undertones amongst minorities, in a racially charged America that was highlighted by (but certainly not limited to) the ongoing trial of the officers in the Rodney King beating. He personified white privilege and inequity. I didn't know a single black or hispanic dude that followed basketball that didn't hate his guts. Not one.

When I heard the title of this, I laughed and thought "brilliant"! It's a really interesting topic, time, and place to explore. Can't wait to watch it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Can't wait to watch this on DVR. I'm not prone to nostalgia (quite the opposite), but this was right at the end of the Golden Era of College Basketball. This was still during the days when declaring prior to the completion of your junior year was nearly unheard of. Today you have teams that are led by talented youngsters or experienced veterans, but rarely both. I'm glad that kids are getting their money ASAP, but college basketball has suffered, and you'll never see teams like those again. For those of you who aren't old enough to remember these teams, imagine how good this year's Kentucky team would be if they stayed together for 3 years. That's what Duke & UNLV were like in the early 90's.

Anyway...the title of documentary is genius. Christian Laettner was the embodiment of the snobby elitist, and the disdain for him had different undertones amongst minorities, in a racially charged America that was highlighted by (but certainly not limited to) the ongoing trial of the officers in the Rodney King beating. He personified white privilege and inequity. I didn't know a single black or hispanic dude that followed basketball that didn't hate his guts. Not one.

When I heard the title of this, I laughed and thought "brilliant"! It's a really interesting topic, time, and place to explore. Can't wait to watch it.

Spoilers: He's still unapologetic.

Like theassociation, I've grown to like him more after watching this. Who doesn't like a guy that trolls his own teammates!?
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

This is true. I used to see that arrogant look on his smug face and just want to bash it in
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Like theassociation, I've grown to like him more after watching this. Who doesn't like a guy that trolls his own teammates!?

True. I don't have him anymore. Hell, he reminds me a lot of Kobe in some ways. The film was good stuff.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

True. I don't hate him anymore. Hell, he reminds me a lot of Kobe in some ways. The film was good stuff.

In retrospect, seeing those battles makes you kinda wax nostalgic about that era. That doc needed to be made to explain to the youger fans why they've heard about Laettner so many times. It's gotta be confusing when they look for info on him from his pro career. He did live up to the hype in college, can't deny him that. I think that only added to the hate, as he himself understood. In a weird way, it's a good thing to have guys like that which draw animosity out of you the viewer. Makes the game more interesting when there's a villain (a "sports villain" at least). He wasn't even on Laimbeer territory, but for wuss Duke ball, he was good enough. They said at the end that he was the template for future Duke stars that drew the ol' ire from the fans, but that was the only bs in the doc. Carlos Boozer was not even interesting enough to hate, the opposing fans only wished he was. Laettner almost deserves some bizarro appreciation for being a d-ck, hahaha. It was good TV. That was a badass pass and shot. That play had a Zapruder effect to it as one of the commentors basically stated. You knew where you were when you saw it.

Btw, Don D: Yeah, Obama watched it. He mentioned it on a bit where he was showing his Presidential bracket. If the LoFW watched it, how can you say no?
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

I think you'll really enjoy it. I got nostalgic watching it and I'm not even of the age group who would have really appreciated what he did.

I always knew Laettner was hated and the basic reasons why, but it was nice seeing it all from his perspective. People keep talking about how douchey he looks, but I guess I'm a little biased because he looks sort of like one of my friends from college so I can't make that particular association
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I think you'll really enjoy it. I got nostalgic watching it and I'm not even of the age group who would have really appreciated what he did.

I always knew Laettner was hated and the basic reasons why, but it was nice seeing it all from his perspective. People keep talking about how douchey he looks, but I guess I'm a little biased because he looks sort of like one of my friends from college so I can't make that particular association

Watched it last night and loved it. I thought they did a really good job of illustrating how sports reflect our value systems, and how sports heroes/villains can personify them. As the documentary pointed out, Laettner's never been arrested, never been accused of beating a woman or a child, never injured someone in a DUI, etc...yet he's one of the great sports villains of the last 25 years. The 5 Pillars of Laettner Hate did a nice job of explaining why that is.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Great title for the 30 for 30. Even as a 10 or 11 year old, there was countless times that I uttered, "I hate Christian Laettner". I haven't had time to watch it yet, but I'm pretty excited about it.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Anyway...the title of documentary is genius. Christian Laettner was the embodiment of the snobby elitist, and the disdain for him had different undertones amongst minorities, in a racially charged America that was highlighted by (but certainly not limited to) the ongoing trial of the officers in the Rodney King beating. He personified white privilege and inequity. I didn't know a single black or hispanic dude that followed basketball that ...

Funny part is that he came from a lower middle class background, and had to clean the facilities of a prep school to be a student there.
That makes him a nouveau-riche.

It leaves the idea he was the icon of Duke culture.

I never liked him, and truly hate (not his "fault") USA BB having picked him instead of Shaq to pay in Barcelona.

He was a just above average player, though the all star selection was deserved. I have my doubts on his dedication to work out and overall conditioning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Anyway...the title of documentary is genius. Christian Laettner was the embodiment of the snobby elitist, and the disdain for him had different undertones amongst minorities, in a racially charged America that was highlighted by (but certainly not limited to) the ongoing trial of the officers in the Rodney King beating. He personified white privilege and inequity. I didn't know a single black or hispanic dude that followed basketball that ...

Funny part is that he came from a lower middle class background, and had to clean the facilities of a prep school to be a student there.

I never liked him, and truly hate (not his "fault") USA BB having picked him instead of Shaq to pay in Barcelona.

He was a just above average player, though the all star selection was deserved. I have my doubts on his dedication to work out and overall conditioning.

An underemphasized point they made was that Danny Ferry being there directly before him (and they were teammates as freshman and senior), added to the effect. Ferry WAS an annoying guy. He just wasn't as good a player as Laettner was and thus incapable of pissing people off who simply wanted Duke to lose.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

An underemphasized point they made was that Danny Ferry being there directly before him (and they were teammates as freshman and senior), added to the effect. Ferry WAS an annoying guy. He just wasn't as good a player as Laettner was and thus incapable of pissing people off who simply wanted Duke to lose.

The difference is that Danny Ferry wisely kept his head and mouth low, when he proved to be a bust in his first season in Cleveland. One must recall he refused to play for the Clippers after being drafted (arrogant b @ st @ rd), and David Falk got him a fat contract in Rome. Eventually he became a good role player, as oversized outside shooter.

A memory about Laettner's arroagnce just popped.
In his second season (wolves) they beat the Bucks for tehir 1st win after 5 losses.
Laettner's was quote saying something like "Now all we need is a win against a good team."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

The difference is that Danny Ferry wisely kept his head and mouth low, when he proved to be a bust in his first season in Cleveland. One must recall he refused to play for the Clippers after being drafted (arrogant b AT st AT rd), and David Falk got him a fat contract in Rome. Eventually he became a good role player, as oversized outside shooter.

A memory about Laettner's arroagnce just popped.
In his second season (wolves) they beat the Bucks for tehir 1st win after 5 losses.
Laettner's was quote saying something like "Now all we need is a win against a good team."

......Gotta love it!
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

not sure where all the hate coming from. it's not like the guy was a known racist, or a flamboyant douche. it was all the perception people had with Duke and their squeaky clean images during the era hip hop/black culture is gaining mainstream popularity and entering white suburban homes. gosh time flies, can't believe that was more than 20 years ago.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
not sure where all the hate coming from. it's not like the guy was a known racist, or a flamboyant douche. it was all the perception people had with Duke and their squeaky clean images during the era hip hop/black culture is gaining mainstream popularity and entering white suburban homes. gosh time flies, can't believe that was more than 20 years ago.

He was most certainly a flamboyant douche.

BTW, I agree with KBCB...he has some Kobe in him. I appreciate people who can carry that "I'm not trying to please you" persona as a public figure.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

It was documented during the Fab 5 documentary about their difference in mentality.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Runs in perfectly with the UNLV special and the 30 for 30 Fab Five. Really good time of college ball.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Another great 30 for 30. The best comment was that when sports hate crosses the line into real hate, it isn't as fun anymore (that's a paraphrase). "Hating" Laettner was fun. Wanting to see him fail was fun. Seeing him get his comeuppance in the NBA was fun. But I never really, seriously hated the man. He was sort of the Bill Laimbeer of college basketball.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Gleedaniel13 wrote:

I got to coach with Hurley's dad a bit last summer (Bob Hurley Sr), and he said that the accident took a lot out of his son, and pretty much ended any chance of him sticking in the NBA. Had a hard time sleeping and training due to the complications from the accident. I believe he's coaching at Buffalo University these days.

Good to hear, they made the big dance this year. And speaking of Laettner, that commercial where Shaq says his nickname was The Big Dance is freakin hilarious. "Impressive"
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Laettner would make a good Jaime Lannister in Game of Thrones.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: