Shelburne answers: "Who Jim Buss would draft if we had the #1 Pick"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
I have no faith in our scouting department. They lucked out on drafting Clarkson...

"Lucked out?"

They aggresively went after Clarkson. They had a very good feeling about him.

Jabari Brown on the otherhand went undrafted. He joined the Rockets summer league in 2014. At the end of summer, he signed with the Lakers and in a month was waived. A week later he signed with our D-League team. Four months later, he got his 10-day contract with us and has done well with it. That is what is called "luck."

Yes, lucked out. I don't think the league-wide consensus was that Clarkson would be this good as a pro before he was drafted. Otherwise he would have been picked well before the 46th pick.

Who's saying other teams thought he'd be this good? We did and that's why we so aggressively fought to get someone to sell us a second round pick. Every team turned us down until we were "fleeced" with a $1.8M price tag (3X the going rate for a 2nd round pick) that we grabbed. You don't pay that kind of $$ for a 2nd round pick unless you're really high on him!! Word is West presented the FO with a very compelling scouting report on JC and so the FO aggressively went out to get him.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
If the Lakers have the #1 pick, I do not care for the upside pick. I want a stable cornerstone/foundational player like Jahlil Okafor who can average 18 pts and 10 reb for this Laker team.

18/10 doesn't matter to me if the guy is playing defense like Pau Gasol the past few years he was here. Pau was an 18/10 player too.

You and Voices got no love for Pau. Don't be like that! He was a critical piece in 2 championship teams and 3 finals appearances. He outplayed Kobe multiple times for stretches of seasons and playoff series.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
If the Lakers have the #1 pick, I do not care for the upside pick. I want a stable cornerstone/foundational player like Jahlil Okafor who can average 18 pts and 10 reb for this Laker team.

18/10 doesn't matter to me if the guy is playing defense like Pau Gasol the past few years he was here. Pau was an 18/10 player too.

You and Voices got no love for Pau. Don't be like that! He was a critical piece in 2 championship teams and 3 finals appearances. He outplayed Kobe multiple times for stretches of seasons and playoff series.

I got no love for the player Pau became. I love him when he cared, but there came a point in the 2011 season when he just stopped giving a (bleep), and it mostly showed in his defense. Our Center defense these past years has soured on me guys that can't protect the rim.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Pau doesn't have the strong base and wingspan as Okafor.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

I don't know who you were referring to in your previous statement, but i'm assuming it wasn't Jim and/or Mitch. I just hope that the 2015 draft picks are not wasted by Mitch, Jim, our scouting department, or whoever makes the final decision on who to pick.

I am not worried, as I said, this scouting group hasn't wasted a pick yet.

Did this scouting group pick Sacre, Caracter, and Ebanks? If so, I think our scouting department has "missed" on a pick or two. To be honest, it's too soon to say whether they made the right decision with Kelly and Randle as well.

Agreed. I have no faith in our scouting department. They lucked out on drafting Clarkson, and trading for his draft rights has been the only certified "great" or "wise" decision thus far in 3-4 years of drafting...Julius Randle doesn't count since he was taken in the lottery and hasn't performed on the court due to injury.

That is why your opinion means so little, you discount anything contrary to it.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:

Pretty sure Pau's wingspan is the same, plus he's 2 inches taller.

What are the chances Jahlil plays better defense than Pau did in his prime?
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

I don't know who you were referring to in your previous statement, but i'm assuming it wasn't Jim and/or Mitch. I just hope that the 2015 draft picks are not wasted by Mitch, Jim, our scouting department, or whoever makes the final decision on who to pick.

I am not worried, as I said, this scouting group hasn't wasted a pick yet.

Did this scouting group pick Sacre, Caracter, and Ebanks? If so, I think our scouting department has "missed" on a pick or two. To be honest, it's too soon to say whether they made the right decision with Kelly and Randle as well.

Agreed. I have no faith in our scouting department. They lucked out on drafting Clarkson, and trading for his draft rights has been the only certified "great" or "wise" decision thus far in 3-4 years of drafting...Julius Randle doesn't count since he was taken in the lottery and hasn't performed on the court due to injury.

That is why your opinion means so little, you discount anything contrary to it.

I didn't discount anything that Jerry West did when he was the GM....and there were plenty of times his transactions were contrary to what i would have done. No, Jim and Mitch are a special case, and I think the fact that we're finishing in futilities cage for two straight seasons is a testament to that.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject:

[quote="kobe_luver"]
CaliRyderX wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
I have no faith in our scouting department. They lucked out on drafting Clarkson...

"Lucked out?"

Jabari Brown on the otherhand went undrafted. He joined the Rockets summer league in 2014. At the end of summer, he signed with the Lakers and in a month was waived. A week later he signed with our D-League team. Four months later, he got his 10-day contract with us and has done well with it. That is what is called "luck."

Yes, lucked out. I don't think the league-wide consensus was that Clarkson would be this good as a pro before he was drafted. Otherwise he would have been picked well before the 46th pick.

Who's saying other teams thought he'd be this good? We did and that's why we so aggressively fought to get someone to sell us a second round pick. Every team turned us down until we were "fleeced" with a $1.8M price tag (3X the going rate for a 2nd round pick) that we grabbed. You don't pay that kind of $$ for a 2nd round pick unless you're really high on him!! Word is West presented the FO with a very compelling scouting report on JC and so the FO aggressively went out to get him.[/quote]

Which "West" are you referring to? And where did you receive the information pretaining to the "very compelling scouting report"?
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

Pretty sure Pau's wingspan is the same, plus he's 2 inches taller.

What are the chances Jahlil plays better defense than Pau did in his prime?
I think he will be a better defender then Pau once he gets with the right NBA trainers to work on his conditioning. His base is so strong so he won't get moved at all near the rim like Pau does. I think he will be more closer then Marc defensively then Pau. Okafor is 6'11 270 lbs, Pau is 7'0 250 lbs. Marc was overweight and was a average defender at 1st, but when he got into shape he was a great defender. I see Okafor as a 25/10 player in prime with solid defense.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject:

[quote="CaliRyderX"]
kobe_luver wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

"Lucked out?"

Who's saying other teams thought he'd be this good? We did and that's why we so aggressively fought to get someone to sell us a second round pick. Every team turned us down until we were "fleeced" with a $1.8M price tag (3X the going rate for a 2nd round pick) that we grabbed. You don't pay that kind of $$ for a 2nd round pick unless you're really high on him!! Word is West presented the FO with a very compelling scouting report on JC and so the FO aggressively went out to get him.[/quote]

Which "West" are you referring to? And where did you receive the information pretaining to the "very compelling scouting report"?

SMH
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Hector the Pup"]
CaliRyderX wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

"Lucked out?"

SMH

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject:

[quote="CaliRyderX"]
Hector the Pup wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

"Lucked out?"

SMH

You have no faith in the scouting department, yet you don't even know who is in it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

18/10 doesn't matter to me if the guy is playing defense like Pau Gasol the past few years he was here. Pau was an 18/10 player too. When's the last time a team won a championship with a Center that didn't play D?

Would it matter? With Okafor we would have a center who can play defense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:

I didn't discount anything that Jerry West did when he was the GM....and there were plenty of times his transactions were contrary to what i would have done. No, Jim and Mitch are a special case, and I think the fact that we're finishing in futilities cage for two straight seasons is a testament to that.

If you had no problem with West why are you so critical of his son?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:

I think it was obvious that he was referring to Kanye.

CaliRyderX wrote:

You just made the case of why they did such a great job at foretelling that he will be this good while others didn't. That's kind of what separates the good ones from the bad ones.
Unless it doesn't fit a certain agenda (not saying you have one), and then we can apply the luck logic.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

CaliRyderX wrote:

You just made the case of why they did such a great job at foretelling that he will be this good while others didn't. That's kind of what separates the good ones from the bad ones.
Unless it doesn't fit a certain agenda (not saying you have one), and then we can apply the luck logic.

Clarkson was a good pick...but until this is done a little more consistently..like the spurs...lets not make this a big deal, that are front office is good at it.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject:

[quote="CaliRyderX"]
kobe_luver wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

"Lucked out?"

Obviously I meant the only scout we have named West...Ryan...Jerry's son.

It was posted on page 74 of the "Clarkson" thread that JC was very high on Ryan West and Joey Buss scouting report/board.....that was reported during a game last week by Trudell (I heard him say it also).

It was then confirmed by Luca Brasi.....

Luca Brasi wrote:
FWIW, Ryan's scouting report really sold upper mgmt on taking a flyer on JC.

So, if you want to give kudos to anyone regarding the pick, please tip your cap to him.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject:

[quote="Hector the Pup"]
CaliRyderX wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

"Lucked out?"

SMH

You have no faith in the scouting department, yet you don't even know who is in it.

I have no faith in Jim Buss and Mitch Kupcake.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject:

55 wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

CaliRyderX wrote:

Nice....Yep,obviously he meant that West. The 21 time grammy winning, Taylor Swift hater, who just happens to be a Lakers scout,
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

"Lucked out?"

This makes no sense.

You're saying it would have been skill, if the league-wide consensus was that Clarkson was this good and still fell to 46? Wouldn't that be luck then? (Luck because everyone knew he'd be this good and luckily, he was STILL available at 46).

If the Lakers had paid first-round money for Clarkson, would it have been skill then?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject:

If the league misses out, it's their fault.

The Lakers used to be the pioneers of drafting.

Accept Clarkson as a steal pick in the 2nd round and move on.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
If the league misses out, it's their fault.

The Lakers used to be the pioneers of drafting.

Accept Clarkson as a steal pick in the 2nd round and move on.

This. The Lakers got a top 5 rookie with the 46th pick.
That's not luck, that's competence.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject:

Luck, IMO, would have been if the Lakers traded for the 46th pick before the draft and then selected Jordan Clarkson.

That's not what happened. They specifically traded for Jordan Clarkson.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

"Lucked out?"

This makes no sense.

You're saying it would have been skill, if the league-wide consensus was that Clarkson was this good and still fell to 46? Wouldn't that be luck then? (Luck because everyone knew he'd be this good and luckily, he was STILL available at 46).

If the Lakers had paid first-round money for Clarkson, would it have been skill then?

Ouch...
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject:

The Lakers scouting department seems to have struck gold with Clarkson. I think some doubts about the competency of the scouting department come from the fact that Chaz and Jesse are on staff. There is a perception, right or wrong, that those two are useless. We're still likely to be stuck with them due to the nepotism within a family owned organization.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: