Shelburne answers: "Who Jim Buss would draft if we had the #1 Pick"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject:

I do not think we're getting the 1st pick. I feel us landing #3. I would want Okafor with the first pick but WCS or Muiday are my alternatives... Muiday over WCS.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Hard to say who Jimmie will draft. We might have two first rounders and a second. Does anyone know how Jimmie does when he bets on a trifecta?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Hard to say who Jimmie will draft. We might have two first rounders and a second. Does anyone know how Jimmie does when he bets on a trifecta?

Split the tens? Oh damn, wrong game. chazz, stop bringing me the drinks so fast...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Ramona could be hinting that the Lakers don't really think any player in this draft can make a great Impact down the road and won't might exploring a trade if there fortunate enough.

I'll be honest with you, I'd trade that pick for a proven player. Building through the draft is risky business, especially when we don't have a Jerry West scouting these guys. Also, do we want to be the 76'ers who get draft picks every year yet continually suck?!?! We need a marquee player here in order to show everyone that we're serious about getting back to the top.

For the right player, sure. Though I have no idea who might be available. And don't be so negative, we have Jerry West Jr scouting for us, and he has done pretty well in a short amount of time.

Was it him that spotted JC?

That is what they say.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
I talk a lot of stuff about Jim Buss and Mitch but one thing they're amazing at is drafting. I have absolute faith in them drafting the best prospect.

I don't see how either of those two(Mitch/Jim) have been "amazing" at drafting. Other than Randle(a lottery pick who has not played more than 2 minutes all season), Clarkson(a steal) and maybe Bynum(2005), what other noteworthy draft picks have either of them made? For that matter, outside of Clarkson and Randle, what noteworthy Jim/Mitch draft picks are still with the team?

Since the new scouting regime took over in 2011 every draft pick they have had is still on the team and contributing. A couple will be 2nd/3rd on the depth charts at their positions (Kelly and Sacre), but they still have NBA value.

Yep, you're right about every draft pick still being on the team. Contibuting what exactly? I suppose Kelly and Sacre are contributing to everyone's sense of humor, as we all continue to laugh at them for sucking. Julius hasn't played enough for anyone to evaluate his contribution, and Jordan has been the only objective evidence that Jim/Mitch have any intelligent thoughts flowing inside their heads.

Obviously their acumen at spotting talent, far exceeds yours and mine.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Listens to Mitch?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Ramona could be hinting that the Lakers don't really think any player in this draft can make a great Impact down the road and won't might exploring a trade if there fortunate enough.

I'll be honest with you, I'd trade that pick for a proven player. Building through the draft is risky business, especially when we don't have a Jerry West scouting these guys. Also, do we want to be the 76'ers who get draft picks every year yet continually suck?!?! We need a marquee player here in order to show everyone that we're serious about getting back to the top.

For the right player, sure. Though I have no idea who might be available. And don't be so negative, we have Jerry West Jr scouting for us, and he has done pretty well in a short amount of time.

That is what they say.
both he and jesse are said to have oersonally scouted and absolutely loved him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kwase wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:

That is what they say.
both he and jesse are said to have oersonally scouted and absolutely loved him.

I think that scouting, the draft, and pursuing FAs are more FO team-oriented than most think. I know some like to assign credit and blame, but sometimes it is a group effort.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Btw, i meant joey, not jesse. Pick another letter jerry!
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

I believe it's Jub-Jub Buss you're thinking off.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

That sounds really funny with a country accent
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Towns is a respectable no.1 pick, especially for us.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
"likely be 4th?" Doubtful, it'll either be top 3, or we're ousted IMO. With her great relationship with Jimbo, MoeMoe should tell him to ground Lin for the rest of the season.

Lin plays and didn't stop us from going 1-9 in our last 10 games.

The Lakers don't need to do anything to 'ensure' losses aside from what they're already doing.

Nothing.
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
I talk a lot of stuff about Jim Buss and Mitch but one thing they're amazing at is drafting. I have absolute faith in them drafting the best prospect.

I don't see how either of those two(Mitch/Jim) have been "amazing" at drafting. Other than Randle(a lottery pick who has not played more than 2 minutes all season), Clarkson(a steal) and maybe Bynum(2005), what other noteworthy draft picks have either of them made? For that matter, outside of Clarkson and Randle, what noteworthy Jim/Mitch draft picks are still with the team?

Since the new scouting regime took over in 2011 every draft pick they have had is still on the team and contributing. A couple will be 2nd/3rd on the depth charts at their positions (Kelly and Sacre), but they still have NBA value.

Yep, you're right about every draft pick still being on the team. Contibuting what exactly? I suppose Kelly and Sacre are contributing to everyone's sense of humor, as we all continue to laugh at them for sucking. Julius hasn't played enough for anyone to evaluate his contribution, and Jordan has been the only objective evidence that Jim/Mitch have any intelligent thoughts flowing inside their heads.

Obviously their acumen at spotting talent, far exceeds yours and mine.

I don't know who you were referring to in your previous statement, but i'm assuming it wasn't Jim and/or Mitch. I just hope that the 2015 draft picks are not wasted by Mitch, Jim, our scouting department, or whoever makes the final decision on who to pick.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

And we don't even know about Jesus and Joseph. Why have the Lakers been so bent on getting Lin over the years? Jeremy Lin?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:

I don't know who you were referring to in your previous statement, but i'm assuming it wasn't Jim and/or Mitch. I just hope that the 2015 draft picks are not wasted by Mitch, Jim, our scouting department, or whoever makes the final decision on who to pick.

I am not worried, as I said, this scouting group hasn't wasted a pick yet.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

Did this scouting group pick Sacre, Caracter, and Ebanks? If so, I think our scouting department has "missed" on a pick or two. To be honest, it's too soon to say whether they made the right decision with Kelly and Randle as well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject:

Out of those just Sacre. Who is the only last pick in the draft that has stuck in the league. The Spurs, famous for great drafting, had the last pick of last year's draft and that dude is already out of the league.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers have the #1 pick, I do not care for the upside pick. I want a stable cornerstone/foundational player like Jahlil Okafor who can average 18 pts and 10 reb for this Laker team.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Out of those just Sacre. Who is the only last pick in the draft that has stuck in the league. The Spurs, famous for great drafting, had the last pick of last year's draft and that dude is already out of the league.

You still have slightly over thirty minutes for an Edit.

Edit:

Isaiah Thomas

Quote:
CAREER TRANSACTIONS:
Selected by Sacramento as a junior out of Washington with the 60th overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft ... Signed a multi-year contract with Sacramento (12/9/11).... Traded from Sacramento to Phoenix in exchange for the rights to Alex Oriakhi on July 12, 2014.

Isaiah Thomas (born 1989)

Quote:
Sacramento Kings[edit]
Before the 2011 NBA Draft, Thomas participated in his own pre draft documentary entitled "Road To The NBA-The Isaiah Thomas Story". Thomas was drafted as the 60th pick by the Sacramento Kings in the second round of the 2011 NBA draft. He was the final pick in the draft
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:

Did this scouting group pick Sacre, Caracter, and Ebanks? If so, I think our scouting department has "missed" on a pick or two. To be honest, it's too soon to say whether they made the right decision with Kelly and Randle as well.

Agreed. I have no faith in our scouting department. They lucked out on drafting Clarkson, and trading for his draft rights has been the only certified "great" or "wise" decision thus far in 3-4 years of drafting...Julius Randle doesn't count since he was taken in the lottery and hasn't performed on the court due to injury.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject:

CaliRyderX wrote:
I have no faith in our scouting department. They lucked out on drafting Clarkson...

"Lucked out?"

They aggresively went after Clarkson. They had a very good feeling about him.

Jabari Brown on the otherhand went undrafted. He joined the Rockets summer league in 2014. At the end of summer, he signed with the Lakers and in a month was waived. A week later he signed with our D-League team. Four months later, he got his 10-day contract with us and has done well with it. That is what is called "luck."
CaliRyderX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
CaliRyderX wrote:
I have no faith in our scouting department. They lucked out on drafting Clarkson...

"Lucked out?"

They aggresively went after Clarkson. They had a very good feeling about him.

Jabari Brown on the otherhand went undrafted. He joined the Rockets summer league in 2014. At the end of summer, he signed with the Lakers and in a month was waived. A week later he signed with our D-League team. Four months later, he got his 10-day contract with us and has done well with it. That is what is called "luck."

Yes, lucked out. I don't think the league-wide consensus was that Clarkson would be this good as a pro before he was drafted. Otherwise he would have been picked well before the 46th pick.
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject:

If we get first or second I would assume they either get Okafor or Towns. Size is just more valuable alah the 1984 draft.

If we end up 3rd or 4th I hope we end up with Russell either way at 3 or 4.

I totally understand Towns/Okafor at 1 and 2. I have made my compromise on this.

Honestly though, I do hope we draft 3rd or 4th and end up with Russell, but who could be mad at the number one overall pick?
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
If the Lakers have the #1 pick, I do not care for the upside pick. I want a stable cornerstone/foundational player like Jahlil Okafor who can average 18 pts and 10 reb for this Laker team.

18/10 doesn't matter to me if the guy is playing defense like Pau Gasol the past few years he was here. Pau was an 18/10 player too. When's the last time a team won a championship with a Center that didn't play D?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: