Utah Governor Approves Firing Squads
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Utah Governor Approves Firing Squads

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/23/394957508/utah-brings-back-firing-squads-as-lethal-injection-drugs-remain-scarce

Quote:
Utah became the only state that allows firing squads for executions when Gov. Gary Herbert signed a law Monday approving the method for use when no lethal injection drugs are available, even though he has called it "a little bit gruesome."

The Republican governor has said Utah is a capital punishment state and needs a backup execution method in case a shortage of the drugs persists.

"We regret anyone ever commits the heinous crime of aggravated murder to merit the death penalty, and we prefer to use our primary method of lethal injection when such a sentence is issued," Herbert spokesman Marty Carpenter said. However, enforcing death sentences is "the obligation of the executive branch."

...Opponents of the measure say firing squads are barbaric, with the American Civil Liberties Union of Utah saying the bill makes the state "look backward and backwoods."

Utah lawmakers stopped offering inmates the choice of firing squad in 2004, saying the method attracted intense media interest and took attention away from victims.

Utah is the only state in the past 40 years to carry out such a death sentence, with three executions by firing squad since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976.

The last was in 2010, when Ronnie Lee Gardner — convicted prior to 2004 — was put to death by five police officers with .30-caliber Winchester rifles in an event that generated international interest and elicited condemnation from many...

One Utah death row inmate who could be next up for execution, Doug Carter, has chosen lethal injection. Under this new law, Carter would get the firing squad if the state can't get their hands on lethal injection drugs 30 days before the execution date. The state doesn't currently have lethal injection drugs on hand.

Looks like there's a chance it might happen. The death penalty is barbaric no matter which way it's carried out. Quite frankly, I think the more of a spectacle it is, the better it shows the brutality.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject:

Yeah, they should pump electricity through their body until they die, much more humane.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject:

Hell yes! Next step: death row Gladiator Games.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject:

Frikn Utah man.

Why even have court hearings? Just form a posse and lynch 'em out.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

I suggest "mauling by bear" or "eaten by mountain lion" or maybe they could dump them in the freezing cold with no clothes and track them by helicopter like the wolf kills

I do wonder why religious states never seem to live by the question WWJD?

The majority of humans that are religious are weak in their followings/discipline. The Earth is a creation of their God yet they treat it like (bleep)..they are a creation of their God yet they don't eat right or exercise etc.. /rant off!
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject:

They need an option to have some ancient kung fu master punch you and tear your heart from your body and show it to you while it's still beating.

That would be painful... but man, that would be a pretty epic sight to see before you die.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

I don't have a problem with this. If you are on death row, that means that you, at minimum, have killed someone yourself. If you didn't spare the victim, why should you be spared? Also, for many murder victims, if they were stabbed, suffocated, etc., I'm sure they would have preferred a firing squad over the more drawn-out and tortuous death that they received.

From the looks of this, though, it seems as if there probably won't ever be a case were a firing squad is used. 30 days is plenty of time to get the necessary drugs shipped to them.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I don't have a problem with this. If you are on death row, that means that you, at minimum, have killed someone yourself. .
\

Oh really?

Quote:
An Arizona woman who spent more than two decades on death row in her 4-year-old son's killing saw her murder charge dismissed Monday, bringing an end to a controversial case that relied almost entirely on the work of a detective with a long history of misconduct.

Another Death Row Mistake

leor_77 wrote:

From the looks of this, though, it seems as if there probably won't ever be a case were a firing squad is used. 30 days is plenty of time to get the necessary drugs shipped to them.

Think again. Because European Firms which supply the drugs are refusing to sell them to US States which intend to use them for other than their originally intended benevolent purposes, and instead misuse those drugs to kill people - there is over a year long wait to obtain alternative drugs. This accounts for all the botched executions recently since states are now playing Dr: Jeckl and mixing their own unproven concoctions with horrifying results.

Europe Telling America to Kill on Your Own
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I don't have a problem with this. If you are on death row, that means that you, at minimum, have killed someone yourself. If you didn't spare the victim, why should you be spared? Also, for many murder victims, if they were stabbed, suffocated, etc., I'm sure they would have preferred a firing squad over the more drawn-out and tortuous death that they received.

Ummmmm, not everyone on death row is guilty. Death is very, very final and offers no recourse if a mistake was made.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject:

For murderers, rapists and terrorists I'd put Ryan Kelly in the firing squad...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
For murderers, rapists and terrorists I'd put Ryan Kelly in the firing squad...

Rofl...(bleep)...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I don't have a problem with this. If you are on death row, that means that you, at minimum, have killed someone yourself.

What rock have you been living under? It doesn't mean that at all. All it means is that a prosecutorial got a conviction. It doesn't mean that conviction was fair, legitimate or much more importantly ACCURATE.

Have you not read of the countless stories of wrongful convictions in death penalty cases and the fact that many of those WRONGFUL convictions were overturned AFTER the convicted was exonerated?

Damn. It's scary that people are still people as uninformed as yourself.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

What rock have you been living under? It doesn't mean that at all. All it means is that a prosecutorial got a conviction. It doesn't mean that conviction was fair, legitimate or much more importantly ACCURATE.

Have you not read of the countless stories of wrongful convictions in death penalty cases and the fact that many of those WRONGFUL convictions were overturned AFTER the convicted was exonerated?

You're right, of course.

But even if every single death penalty in the history of the world was correctly applied, it still doesn't mean it's right. It's still state-sanctioned murder that achieves nothing positive.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

You're right, of course.

But even if every single death penalty in the history of the world was correctly applied, it still doesn't mean it's right. It's still state-sanctioned murder that achieves nothing positive.

Couldn't agree more. I was just responding to the shockingly ignorant comment that being on death row meant you were actually guilty of a crime in the first place.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Next resurrection of the guillotine .

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:02 am; edited 1 time in total
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Ummmmm, not everyone on death row is guilty. Death is very, very final and offers no recourse if a mistake was made.

I'm sorry, but that's weak. You will always have wrongful conviction to some extent (even though it's very rare, and even more rare today with better technology). Let's just let everyone on death row out, just because of the minuscule chance that they are innocent. Someone would have to break this news to the families who's loved ones were killed, though. I guess you wouldn't mind doing this, would you?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I'm sorry, but that's weak. You will always have wrongful conviction to some extent (even though it's very rare, and even more rare today with better technology). Let's just let everyone on death row out, just because of the minuscule chance that they are innocent. Someone would have to break this news to the families who's loved ones were killed, though. I guess you wouldn't mind doing this, would you?

Yeah, because the alternatives are death or freedom. Smh.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
I don't have a problem with this. If you are on death row, that means that you, at minimum, have killed someone yourself.

I meant convicted of murder. This is an internet forum, and I don't have the time to proof-read everything I write. If you honestly think I'm that unaware, then you are probably the one living under a rock.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I am not necessarily a forgiving person and I am not devoid of the need for revenge. And when I was 11, my 18 year old brother was murdered, execution style. And I am against the death penalty because it is at worst state sanctioned murder as when it is declared and carried out to an innocent, and at best it is the state killing it's citizens, something I do not believe in period. And let's not even begin to go into the disparate use of the penalty based on race and social economic status. Add in what seems rampant prosecutorial misconduct, shady police and the like....well, I don't know how anyone can hold to your position. And you seem so cavalier about innocent people being murdered by the state in order to preserve a system that doesn't even do what it's raison d'etre says it does.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Yeah, because the alternatives are death or freedom. Smh.

I meant out of death row, not out of prison.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Even though you've probably been excoriated enough already, I feel compelled to weigh-in on this one with one more wag of the finger ...

This apparent perception of absolute fairness in the criminal justice system that I see in your comment above would be truly and uproariously laughable if it wasn't a view shared by so many others who are equally uninformed. The U.S. is comprised of less than 5% of the world's overall population. But our jails, detention centers and prisons are overflowing with over 25% of the world's incarcerated souls. By way of comparison, China has over 4x our overall population, but barely 70% of our incarcerated population. Indeed, our expanding prison-industrial complex in the U.S. is alive and well in 2015. And we're supposedly the shining beacon on the hill, mind you.

However, it is really beyond dispute at this point that our system has been perverted for a very long time by a monochromatic narrative mechanism that unambiguously values vengeful prosecutorial "wins" over justice. Most ambitious prosecutors (and very few are not ambitious) value a conviction at any cost over "justice", trust and believe that. And naturally, the investigating agencies underlying those prosecutions are enthusiastically complicit in this process. There may not even be many on death row who are factually innocent of their charged crimes, but even if there is one such person, that should be enough of an argument against capital punishment. It's really that simple. Otherwise, we must abandon any claim to be a civilized nation.

State-sanctioned killing is an abomination. Period, full stop. Arguing anything else is simply tragic, naive and (most egregiously) ignorant all at once.

Nevertheless, I suppose you still have time to walk this one back ...
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject:

humans rights attorneys que 8th amendment. no way this will last.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

I meant convicted of murder. This is an internet forum, and I don't have the time to proof-read everything I write. If you honestly think I'm that unaware, then you are probably the one living under a rock.

You're unaware if you think everyone convicted of murder is guilty.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm not impressed. A firing squad means nothing without bayonets.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I'm not impressed. A firing squad means nothing without bayonets.

Not to mention that a firing squad is so 18th century. That governor needs to recognise the times he's in and authorise some Hunger Games.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: