Tom Cruise
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Tom Cruise

Just watched "The Last Samurai" again. Say what you want about the man, he's the biggest movie star in the World and has been in more epic, compelling, near great or great films than anyone in his era.
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Cruise

edge of tomorrow surprised me and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject:

Never understood all the (bleep) talking on him. He seems like a cool dude. Not as cool Goose though.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

Paul Mooney on The Last Samurai
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Cruise

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Just watched "The Last Samurai" again. Say what you want about the man, he's the biggest movie star in the World and has been in more epic, compelling, near great or great films than anyone in his era.

Tomcat sorely lacked praise for his performance in Rain Man. He did the bulk of the work like Liotta in GoodFellas. That was one of those roles that was perfectly suited for that particular actor even if the viewer hates said actor. Tomcat played it well, wasn't distracting that he was in an Oscar winning/level flick.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
Never understood all the (bleep) talking on him. He seems like a cool dude. Not as cool Goose though.

I don't like him because he's UN-SAFE. (clashes teeth)
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

I don't like him because he's UN-SAFE. (clashes teeth)

I was just talking about Maverick/Ice Man while practicing MMA. We were engaged in a discussion about how once the fight has come to a clinch or grappling, position trumps everything, even getting off a good shot at your opponent if that shot compromises your position. I used Ice Man as an example of someone who understood this. But hey NPZ, you can be my wing man any day.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

People don't like him because he's weird in his personal life. Starting with his Scientology, continuing with his couch jumpingn on Oprah. Plus he seems to be running from something, both onscreen and off.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Cruise

Great One wrote:
edge of tomorrow surprised me and thoroughly enjoyed it.

That movie was shockingly good. Tom Cruise has been in many of my all-time favorites. Such as A Few Good Men and Interview with the Vampire. His Mission Impossible movies are always fun, interesting and clever as well.

There is just something about him I can't understand as to why he isn't one of my favorite actors. It has nothing to do with Scientology. It's just something elusive I can't quite grasp.

Talented man that Tom Cruise is though.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

Good actor=definitely.
Most likely nuts=of course.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
People don't like him because he's weird in his personal life. Starting with his Scientology, continuing with his couch jumpingn on Oprah. Plus he seems to be running from something, both onscreen and off.

I don't really care about his personal life.

He makes damn fine entertaining movies.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

I don't really care about his personal life.

He makes damn fine entertaining movies.

Most of them are, I agree. I enjoyed Jack Reacher and the last Mission movie. He doesn't really make stinkers, aside form maybe Rock of Ages and War of the Worlds.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

Your obligatory running montage with the "You can't catch me gay thoughts" comments:

Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject:

His best role is in Tropic Thunder.

It also had Robert Downeys best line "what kind of farmer are you?" "I'm a lead farmer mother f ers!"
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Cruise

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:

KBCB you know you my man so don't take what I'm about to ink in the wrong way.

You're either intentionally being over zealous and facetious purposely or you took one to many to the cranial area while doing your MMA workout.

I like Tom Cruise's movies but saying " he's biggest movie star in the World and has been in more epic, compelling, near great or great films than anyone in his era" is off the charts.

Doing my best Denzel imitation "My Man" you forgetting about me, Brad Pit, Jack Nicholson. There are more but I don't want to rack my brain.

I'm going out on a limb and say you liked the movie because you're a martial arts buff.

Mua Brutha, don't mix acting with martial arts.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject:

IMO Tom Cruise has the best overall action movie library. I don't think he has the best single action movie, but his resume has more quality than anyone else. Btw have you guys seen the trailer for the new MI? Looks badass.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:

I love the creative ideas the filming crew has to come up with in all the movies he's in because he's so small. They'll usually have the camera pointing up at him, for instance.

Don't mean this as a negative thing though. Nothing wrong with being small. Just means he probably won't be a good basketball player.

I've definitely gone full circle on Cruise. Used to like him, then for a long while didn't, but lately do again.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
IMO Tom Cruise has the best overall action movie library. I don't think he has the best single action movie, but his resume has more quality than anyone else. Btw have you guys seen the trailer for the new MI? Looks badass.

You like him better in ovaeralll action than Bruce Willis Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Statham and Matt Damon?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

^Perhaps not so coincidentally those actors are also known for playing the bad guy in many movies (maybe not Damon).
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Some people might not say this, but Cruise is a really damn good actor.

He's done some cameos on other movies and seriously, he nails it. Tropic Thunder is epic. Likely no one else could have pulled that off like he did.

His films are good, but due to his Scientology and criticism of Brooke Shields, people started hating on him.

It's undeniable that he's a good actor and the films he makes are usually pretty darn good.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
^Perhaps not so coincidentally those actors are also known for playing the bad guy in many movies (maybe not Damon).

Bourne was the coolest of the bad guys. His walk was not bad ass, not gangsta, not hip. I don't know how to describe it. Urgent?

His choreography was Seagal like. Only he didn't break bones with the gusto Steven did, left limbs at angles.

Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I love Bourne but I don't see him as a bad guy
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Yeah I love Bourne but I don't see him as a bad guy

When I say "bad guy" I mean kick ass guy.

CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

You like him better in ovaeralll action than Bruce Willis Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Statham and Matt Damon?

Yes

For starters he is a more talented actor than any of those guys. Again, he has more quality action flicks than anyone. However, one could argue those other guys have at least a single movie that would rank higher than what Cruise has put out. For example, you could say T2 is better than any Cruise action movie. But, Arnold has way more flops than Tom.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I love the creative ideas the filming crew has to come up with in all the movies he's in because he's so small. They'll usually have the camera pointing up at him, for instance.

Don't mean this as a negative thing though. Nothing wrong with being small. Just means he probably won't be a good basketball player.

I've definitely gone full circle on Cruise. Used to like him, then for a long while didn't, but lately do again.

Some people I've talked to hate on Cruise and can't take him seriously in action movies because he really is a tiny man.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: