Tom Cruise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:

His films are good, but due to his Scientology and criticism of Brooke Shields, people started hating on him.

Tidbit: His first role was a bit part in a stinker called Endless Love in 81, which also had young Brooke (the dripping gorgeous version). The themesong (Lionel/Diana) was a megahit, but the movie was obscure and bad. Spader's first as well. Cruise also did Taps that year with Sean Penn, which pushed both their careers.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject:

^^^Did you see Legend. I couldn't really get into it. If you saw it, was it any good?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Cruise

jodeke wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Just watched "The Last Samurai" again. Say what you want about the man, he's the biggest movie star in the World and has been in more epic, compelling, near great or great films than anyone in his era.

KBCB you know you my man so don't take what I'm about to ink in the wrong way.

You're either intentionally being over zealous and facetious purposely or you took one to many to the cranial area while doing your MMA workout.

I like Tom Cruise's movies but saying " he's biggest movie star in the World and has been in more epic, compelling, near great or great films than anyone in his era" is off the charts.

Doing my best Denzel imitation "My Man" you forgetting about me, Brad Pit, Jack Nicholson. There are more but I don't want to rack my brain.

I'm going out on a limb and say you liked the movie because you're a martial arts buff.

Mua Brutha, don't mix acting with martial arts.

No offense taken my double truth Ruth main man Jodeke. But I'm perfectly serious. I'm taking Cruise over all of those guys for overall body of work although, to be fair, Jack is of a different generation. And it's not really for his action movies. I haven't even seen any of the MI movies for example. It's just that his movies seem larger than life or darker than life or something, I don't know. I guess it comes down to this. When I see movies of those other guys of his generation, they usually leave my thoughts as soon as I leave the theater, or turn off the TV. But Cruise movies usually stay with me and leave me pondering certain things. And his love of Jazz and featuring it so prominently certainly doesn't hurt.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
IMO Tom Cruise has the best overall action movie library. I don't think he has the best single action movie, but his resume has more quality than anyone else. Btw have you guys seen the trailer for the new MI? Looks badass.

You like him better in ovaeralll action than Bruce Willis Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Statham and Matt Damon?

My second favorite action movie martial artist after Bruce Lee of course.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject:

@CBaller

I won't give him more talent than Damon. Good Will Hunting comes to mind.

Cruise has more variation in his films. His MI character are thrilling, not bravado. He doesn't beat people up. Swachnegger, Willis, Stathan, Damon beat people up. IMO Tom's works are move action movies than action characters.

Cruise also had better plots sans Damon.

Swachnegger, Stathan, Damon and Willis more fit the action character role than Damon and Cruise.

Overall Cruise has a more diverse library. The others I mentioned have pigeon holed themselves in relation to action movies, beat um up again, sans Damon.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject:

I like Cruise.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Cruise is an actor who can elevate his material. That's the mark of greatness. A lot of big stars can't do that. Costner jumps to mind. As others have said, I really don't care about the BS that surrounds him in the celebrity world. I just want to be entertained.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoL59DglK-I

I like Cruise.

That's it?!!!!!

You (bleep) about all the threads being about one topic and I start one about something completely unrelated and all I get from you is a clip and three words?!!!!

For Shame!
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
I love the creative ideas the filming crew has to come up with in all the movies he's in because he's so small. They'll usually have the camera pointing up at him, for instance.

Don't mean this as a negative thing though. Nothing wrong with being small. Just means he probably won't be a good basketball player.

I've definitely gone full circle on Cruise. Used to like him, then for a long while didn't, but lately do again.

Some people I've talked to hate on Cruise and can't take him seriously in action movies because he really is a tiny man.

Well his height shouldn't be the impossible believe to suspend in his movies. For Christ's sake, he's jumping and swinging around moving trains and jets and grabbing a hold of buildings and (bleep). So what if he's 5'?

But, he's completely believable in Jack Reacher, imo. He pulls it off.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject:

I agree that Tom Cruise is the biggest star in the world now and keeps churning out quality movies. Most people I talk to don't give his movies a chance because of how they feel about him personally.

I liked Oblivion, Jack Reacher, Edge of Tomorrow was fantastic. I liked Last Samurai, and the last couple of Mission Impossible movies. War of the Worlds wasn't bad. I enjoyed Knight and Day.

Jerry Maguire is one of my favorite movies.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
@CBaller

Cruise has more variation in his films. His MI character are thrilling, not bravado. He doesn't beat people up. Swachnegger, Willis, Stathan, Damon beat people up. IMO Tom's works are move action movies than action characters.

Swachnegger, Stathan, Damon and Willis more fit the action character role than Damon and Cruise.

Overall Cruise has a more diverse library. The others I mentioned have pigeon holed themselves in relation to action movies, beat um up again, sans Damon.

I'm strictly talking about their action movies, so I'm not counting movies like Good Will Hunting.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
I love the creative ideas the filming crew has to come up with in all the movies he's in because he's so small. They'll usually have the camera pointing up at him, for instance.

Don't mean this as a negative thing though. Nothing wrong with being small. Just means he probably won't be a good basketball player.

I've definitely gone full circle on Cruise. Used to like him, then for a long while didn't, but lately do again.

Some people I've talked to hate on Cruise and can't take him seriously in action movies because he really is a tiny man.

Well his height shouldn't be the impossible believe to suspend in his movies. For Christ's sake, he's jumping and swinging around moving trains and jets and grabbing a hold of buildings and (bleep). So what if he's 5'?

But, he's completely believable in Jack Reacher, imo. He pulls it off.

I get you, but I'm just saying that's one argument I get from some people that say Arnold > the Cruise
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Cruise is an actor who can elevate his material. That's the mark of greatness. A lot of big stars can't do that. Costner jumps to mind. As others have said, I really don't care about the BS that surrounds him in the celebrity world. I just want to be entertained.

That's a prefect way to describe him.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
^^^Did you see Legend. I couldn't really get into it. If you saw it, was it any good?

Huge fantasy/scifi fan here. Back then, I loved the wave of fantasy/Conan clones that came out. Never Ending Story/Krull/Dragonslayer/Time Bandits/Beastmaster (Tanya Roberts, holy bejesus) etc, etc.

For some reason, Legend was just boring. In retrospect, a lot of those movies were pretty bad but Legend couldn't even captivate the attention of an 8 year old at the time.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Agreed. You definitely know what you're getting with him. You won't be getting Daniel Day Lewis levels of acting. It's going to be Tom Cruise as Tom Cruise in all his movies but his screen presence is off the charts.

There are a ton of guys that have been huge at any given point, but now I could literally care less if their movie comes out (unless it's particular subject/story I care for). Tom is still relevant decades later despite any PR missteps.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
@CBaller

I'm strictly talking about their action movies, so I'm not counting movies like Good Will Hunting.

Understood. That was responding to this You wrote:
Quote:
For starters he is a more talented actor than any of those guys

dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoL59DglK-I

I like Cruise.

That's it?!!!!!

You (bleep) about all the threads being about one topic and I start one about something completely unrelated and all I get from you is a clip and three words?!!!!

For Shame!

I really like Cruise.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
I agree that Tom Cruise is the biggest star in the world now and keeps churning out quality movies. Most people I talk to don't give his movies a chance because of how they feel about him personally.

I liked Oblivion, Jack Reacher, Edge of Tomorrow was fantastic. I liked Last Samurai, and the last couple of Mission Impossible movies. War of the Worlds wasn't bad. I enjoyed Knight and Day.

Jerry Maguire is one of my favorite movies.

It gets a pass since James Mangold directed.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:

Jerry Maguire is one of my favorite movies

Agree 100%. Jack Reacher and Edge of Tomorrow were both movies I went into thinking they'd be decent-good but was blown away by how enjoyable they were. I really hope there's a JR sequel.

And Jerry Ma-bleepin-guire is da sh**! Never gets old. FREEE FALLIN!
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Agreed. You definitely know what you're getting with him. You won't be getting Daniel Day Lewis levels of acting. It's going to be Tom Cruise as Tom Cruise in all his movies but his screen presence is off the charts.

There are a ton of guys that have been huge at any given point, but now I could literally care less if their movie comes out (unless it's particular subject/story I care for). Tom is still relevant decades later despite any PR missteps.

He certainly does seem to be doubling down on his action star mystique, which is fine by me because yeah, Tommy gives 110%, Xenu or no Xenu.

!...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Cruise

Just watched "The Last Samurai" again. Say what you want about the man, he's the biggest movie star in the World and has been in more epic, compelling, near great or great films than anyone in his era.

You do realize that Tom bailed on his daughter, right? Just curious, you being so hell bent on that staying married thing and all. What's good for Derek Fisher is good for Tom Cruise - or not =)
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Tom Cruise. Good actor, but bat-(bleep) crazy and a prominent member of a bat-(bleep) cult.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject:

I ain't mad at Tom, he's Livin La Vida Loca. Far as I know you only come this way one time. Tom's fortunate enough to do it his way.

Just watched Jack Reacher. I liked it.

Keep the good movies coming. I'm hooked on Kodi and popcorntime.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I ain't mad at Tom, he's Livin La Vida Loca. Far as I know you only come this way one time. Tom's fortunate enough to do it his way.

Just watched Jack Reached. I liked it.

Keep the good movies coming. I'm hooked on Kodi and popcorntime.

Damn, just saw it? Movie was so badass. For those who havn't seen this trailer yet.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Best cruise movies in order

1.) Eyes Wide Shut
2.) Collateral
3.) Rain Man
4.) Magnolia

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: