View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
Paul Mooney on The Last Samurai

Funny but true. Tom Cruise is a terrific actor and I enjoy many of his films, but not that one. Last Samurai was just a big budget showcase for Asian typecasting in Hollywood.

Well, it was about Samurai you know. In any case, Mooney was, as usual, completely wrong about the film. Cruise wasn't the Last Samurai, Ken Watanabe was.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Collateral is easily cruise's best role to date. Michael Mann got a subdued, genuine, oddly vulnerable performance out of him instead if the patented Tom Cruise/Will Smith " let me play the cartoon of the guy i think i am in my idealized alternative reality", slick and polished, but no heat, no soul.

Yep. Although Algren in TLS is close.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

Last Samurai is an awesome movie and so is Edge of Time. I haven't seen all of Tom Cruise's movies, but I've never been disappointed with the ones I have seen.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
C M B wrote:
Best cruise movies in order

1.) Eyes Wide Shut
2.) Collateral
3.) Rain Man
4.) Magnolia

For me:

1.) A Few Good Men
2) Cocktail/Color of Money/Rainman (I consider this a trilogy lol)
3) Magnolia
4) Top Gun

Honorable mentions to movies I thoroughly enjoyed but didn't quite make the all time Tom list - The Firm, Collateral, Born on the 4th.

Have neither of you seen Edge of Tomorrow? It's phenomenal.

I would agree with Magnolia if you're talking about best Tom Cruise performances, not best Tom Cruise movies.

I saw Edge and for whatever reason did not dig it at all.

+1 I saw it as rambling.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a big fan of Edge of Tomorrow either but that wasn't Cruise's fault
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Last Samurai is an awesome movie and so is Edge of Time. I haven't seen all of Tom Cruise's movies, but I've never been disappointed with the ones I have seen.

Don't watch Jack Reacher. Having read the books, they couldn't have miscast that movie any more if they tried. Wasn't horrible but definitely a meh effort all around.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject:

http://www.counter-currents.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/vanilla-sky3-1280.jpg
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

Don't watch Jack Reacher. Having read the books, they couldn't have miscast that movie any more if they tried. Wasn't horrible but definitely a meh effort all around.

I heard about the complaints about casting Cruise for JR who is supposed to be a 6'5" intimidating figure which is basically the opposite of Tom lol. As someone who hasn't read the books, it wasn't an issue for me when I saw the movie, I really enjoyed it and he was badass. I think for people that haven't read the books, it has a lot more potential for them to enjoy the film since they're not familiar with who the character is/have an idea of what he should look like.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

I liked it. Wasn't his best movie but still entertaining nonetheless.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Closest I've seen to movie and book being same was To Kill A Mockingbird.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Cruise

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Just watched "The Last Samurai" again. Say what you want about the man, he's the biggest movie star in the World and has been in more epic, compelling, near great or great films than anyone in his era.

You do realize that Tom bailed on his daughter, right? Just curious, you being so hell bent on that staying married thing and all. What's good for Derek Fisher is good for Tom Cruise - or not =)

Wait. He didn't file, she did. But yeah, he should have definitely used all of the gazillions he has to force that shrew Katie Holmes to move Suri to Hollywood. He (bleep) up and did exactly the wrong thing as a father. And now Suri is being raised by a (bleep) crazy mother who spends more on Suri's clothes than the GDP of some small nations. I think Tom's a bit nuts and both of them are self absorbed clods, but I am talking about his body of work.

Kind of OT: Katie/Suri do live in Los Angeles(and well NYC) but Suri is barely seen and photographed these days so I don't get what exactly makes her crazy.

And unlike most ex-wives of rich men all she got was child support. He got off rather easy there.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject:

I am pretty much the movie fan many are referencing this thread.

I find Tom Cruise annoying and actually don't like him off screen at all. I also think it is funny that a midget plays so many tough guy roles.

That said, he has starred in a lot of great movies, many very good movies and very few below average movies. Not to mention he has starred in A LOT of movies, who works more in the industry than this guy?

For instance, his movie from a year or two ago, "Jack Reacher"...I saw it and I gotta say, I was entertained. In fact I liked it. He was great in Rain Man and Jerry McGuire, honestly he carried both movies in my opinion.

I find myself enjoying most of his movies unlike a lot of other actors.

I have to give him his due. As the OP said, the guy is a movie star man...big time.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I find Tom Cruise annoying and actually don't like him off screen at all. I also think it is funny that a midget plays so many tough guy roles.

That said, he has starred in a lot of great movies, many very good movies and very few below average movies. Not to mention he has starred in A LOT of movies, who works more in the industry than this guy?

For instance, his movie from a year or two ago, "Jack Reacher"...I saw it and I gotta say, I was entertained. In fact I liked it. He was great in Rain Man and Jerry McGuire, honestly he carried both movies in my opinion.

I have to give him his due. As the OP said, the guy is a movie star man...big time.

Samuel L. Jackson.

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject:

^maybe Nic Cage. I think he has been in 1 movie a year for something like 30+ years
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Cruise

Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Just watched "The Last Samurai" again. Say what you want about the man, he's the biggest movie star in the World and has been in more epic, compelling, near great or great films than anyone in his era.

You do realize that Tom bailed on his daughter, right? Just curious, you being so hell bent on that staying married thing and all. What's good for Derek Fisher is good for Tom Cruise - or not =)

Wait. He didn't file, she did. But yeah, he should have definitely used all of the gazillions he has to force that shrew Katie Holmes to move Suri to Hollywood. He (bleep) up and did exactly the wrong thing as a father. And now Suri is being raised by a (bleep) crazy mother who spends more on Suri's clothes than the GDP of some small nations. I think Tom's a bit nuts and both of them are self absorbed clods, but I am talking about his body of work.

Kind of OT: Katie/Suri do live in Los Angeles(and well NYC) but Suri is barely seen and photographed these days so I don't get what exactly makes her crazy.

And unlike most ex-wives of rich men all she got was child support. He got off rather easy there.

It sure seemed like Katie did the right thing in leaving Tom and Scientology behind. It's hard to make Christianity look sane and normal, but Scientology does it.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject:

I love Collateral... I love the part about dying on the train and no one noticing until a few days later... that was just brilliant writing.

anyway, my favorite Cruise movie is A Few Good Men... the whole trial scene, I couldn't handle that - it was so good... also, Jack eating breakfast 300 yards from 4000 Cubans who are trained to kill him... that was epic.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Samuel L. Jackson.

haha... especially after the Fury gig started... I mean, he's been all of them, I think, even for just a few seconds.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

I liked it. Wasn't his best movie but still entertaining nonetheless.

Yeah, I can see how it wouldn't bother someone who wasn't familiar with the character. It was a okay flick otherwise.

Rosamund Pike at 5' 9" could have patted him on the head like a child in that movie. They had next to no chemistry with each other. Poor Tom was probably insecure .
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Judging by what I saw in its trailer previews, Jack Reacher looks like one of the DVDs that sits in the bargain bin with Dorf on Golf and Operation Dumbo Drop, a lower price tag every week, until it finally gets donated to a public library.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Cruise

rwongega wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

It sure seemed like Katie did the right thing in leaving Tom and Scientology behind. It's hard to make Christianity look sane and normal, but Scientology does it.

Yeah, I don't get the crazy accusations either. Leaving Scientology is the sanest thing one can do and getting your child out of a manipulative and overbearing cult as soon as possible strikes me great parenting. Not to mention Tom is the absent parent who apparently rarely sees Suri and doesn't seem to have much of a relationship with his prior children.

I don't get KBCB's desire to paint Holmes as the errant one here at all.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Cruise

DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, I don't get the crazy accusations either. Leaving Scientology is the sanest thing one can do and getting your child out of a manipulative and overbearing cult as soon as possible strikes me great parenting. Not to mention Tom is the absent parent who apparently rarely sees Suri and doesn't seem to have much of a relationship with his prior children.

I don't get KBCB's desire to paint Holmes as the errant one here at all.

I remember reading he explicitly admitted in open court that Katie left primarily to protect Suri from the cult. Scientology is an organization (notice I don't consider them a religion) that will send people out to hunt you down if you leave. You will be dragged into a vehicle, "re-educated", and put to forced labor, where you will be considered a form of sub-human and given no rights. Though I don't consider Cruise a bad parent in the least. Certainly he isn't around and a big part of that is his brainwashing by Scientology. If he could ever split from them, he'd be a bigger part in Suri's life and I know he wants that. I do know that Tom is close with his other children, who are sadly Scientologists.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Michael Douglass is my favorite actor of all time. Kevin Spacey and Matt Damon are my favorite two actors from this era, but Cruise is in my top 10 from this era. Vanilla sky was my favorite movie from him, great movie and ending.

Best movies from each actor

Michael Douglass - The Game
Kevin Spacey - LA Confidential
Matt Damon - The Talented Mr. Ripley
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: