hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Plane Crash

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
So the co-pilot deliberately dropped the plane out of the sky. Wow, that's happened several times now. Airlines better get their (bleep) together. Terrible, just terrible.

I had read that there was an Egyptian flight where American investigators came to the same conclusion. What other ones do you recall?

Seriously, that is about as nightmarish a scenario as you can think of. Putting your life in someone's hands and having them proverbially driving right off a cliff.

I saw a list today of 5 that have taken place. Though, like the Egyptian Air flight they were all in Africa and Asia (If I am remembering correctly).

There was also a PSA flight in California many years ago where a fired PSA employee boarded a flight with a gun and shot the guy who fired him and then went to the cockpit and shot the pilot and co-pilot, thus sending the plane into a crash.

Wow PSA airlines. I haven't heard that name in years. Are they still around? I haven't seen a commercial from them since the 80s.

It was in the late 80s that PSA was acquired by USAir, which became US Airways, and is now all under American Airlines.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject:

So many major passenger jet disasters within a span of a year.
MH370 goes missing, never to be found, presumably all lives are lost.
Another Malaysian Airliner gets shot down over Ukraine, all lives lost
Air Asia crashes in bad weather, all lives lost.
Germanwings crashes, pilot speculated to have intentionally crashed the plane into the Alps, all lives lost.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject:

They are no saying that the co-pilot was hiding an illness from the airline company. They found a sick note from his doctor excusing him from work the day he crashed the plane. No one saying what the illness is at this point, but clearly it must involve some mental imbalance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/27/andreas-lubitz-suicide_n_6954098.html
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
They are no saying that the co-pilot was hiding an illness from the airline company. They found a sick note from his doctor excusing him from work the day he crashed the plane. No one saying what the illness is at this point, but clearly it must involve some mental imbalance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/27/andreas-lubitz-suicide_n_6954098.html

Looks like a lot of the pilots for Euro "cheap" airlines are freelancers who only get paid when they fly. So calling in sick, and certainly long-term illness, can mean substantial loss of income.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Concern: Trey are you OK?

wait what? Thats Trey? Hey man how you been buddy?

I'm doing great! Everyday of life just adds to the gratitude of living.

No alcohol for 19 months! No drugs for 14 months.

Man, if you could see my smile. There are actually tears of joy mixed with it.

Absolutely man! So happy to hear that.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:

This is definitely not good for public relations between the airlines and the public. Even though there is a miniscule chance of this happening again, the fact is people rely on public trust between the pilots to fly you safely to your destination. I remember when they were going thru all the steps to prevent terrorism in the future, most of the agencies tried to downplay scenarios where the pilot was the cause.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
This is definitely not good for public relations between the airlines and the public. Even though there is a miniscule chance of this happening again, the fact is people rely on public trust between the pilots to fly you safely to your destination. I remember when they were going thru all the steps to prevent terrorism in the future, most of the agencies tried to downplay scenarios where the pilot was the cause.

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject:

I don't get the people who are taking this news as being so terrifying. It's actually good news. There was no mechanical failure. There were no system failures that the pilots couldn't overcome. It was just an extremely unlikely event where a pilot with serious mental illness issues went off the rails and managed to hide his medical history.

That's very easy to compensate for and crack down on. It's miles better than a Malaysian Air flight completely disappearing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

LINK

Air travel is definitely safer than driving.....
But fear is based on the irrational.
Unfortunately, this will do wonders for the perception of flying.
Remember after 9/11 air travel went down despite the numerous upgrades they did on the safety front.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

LINK

Remember after 9/11 air travel went down despite the numerous upgrades they did on the safety front.

Yeah, but part of that was people re-evaluating whether all the extra security was worth the hassle. For a long time people were traveling close to home, not because they were afraid of flying, but because the hassle of simply getting on a plane wasn't worth it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

LINK

Natural reaction and only tempory.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
'I'm planning a heinous act that will be remembered forever': Killer pilot's ex-girlfriend says he shared chilling prophecy before Alps crash and woke up from nightmares shouting 'we're going down'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3015504/I-m-planning-heinous-act-remembered-forever-Killer-pilot-s-ex-girlfriend-says-shared-chilling-prophecy-Alps-crash-woke-nightmares-shouting-going-down.html
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject:

From experience working with A320's they do have a keypad on the outside that would allow access to the cabin.
I never knew it still required permission from inside the cabin though.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Quote:
'I'm planning a heinous act that will be remembered forever': Killer pilot's ex-girlfriend says he shared chilling prophecy before Alps crash and woke up from nightmares shouting 'we're going down'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3015504/I-m-planning-heinous-act-remembered-forever-Killer-pilot-s-ex-girlfriend-says-shared-chilling-prophecy-Alps-crash-woke-nightmares-shouting-going-down.html

WTF is wrong with her? She didn't tell anyone?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Quote:

what the heck is wrong with her? She didn't tell anyone?

Exactly what I was going to post.I don't see how you can just let that pass as if it's nothing. I hope she is having a hard timing living with herself.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Quote:

Exactly what I was going to post.I don't see how you can just let that pass as if it's nothing. I hope she is having a hard timing living with herself.

Pretty scummy move for her not to inform authorities. Most potential heinous acts are stopped due to people sending in tips; she could have saved 200 lives. Oh well. Perhaps she was a bit crazy herself to have gotten into a relationship with such a mentally unstable person.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Quote:

Pretty scummy move for her not to inform authorities. Most potential heinous acts are stopped due to people sending in tips; she could have saved 200 lives. Oh well. Perhaps she was a bit crazy herself to have gotten into a relationship with such a mentally unstable person.

Quote:
The 26-year-old Germanwings stewardess, known only as Maria W, revealed to a German newspaper how Lubitz ominously told her last year: ‘One day I will do something that will change the whole system, and then all will know my name and remember it.’

Quote:
‘I did not know what he meant by that at the time, but now it’s clear.’

If that's the actual quote that they got from the woman then that headline they used is a damn shame

Last edited by anpherknee on Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Quote:
The 26-year-old Germanwings stewardess, known only as Maria W, revealed to a German newspaper how Lubitz ominously told her last year: ‘One day I will do something that will change the whole system, and then all will know my name and remember it.’

Quote:
Quote:
Can any honestly say with any surety that statement indicated "He going to crash a plane?"

His records show more reason to lay blame. Airlines, for safety of passengers, have to put their safety before the bottom line.

That RF more fits In reality, not possible. It's all about the Benjamin's.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:

I was reading more about this whole mess and came across this:

Swedish flight tracking service FlightRadar24 detected through satellite data that the plane's autopilot was manually switched to a cruising altitude of 100 feet, the lowest possible setting.

Why the hell would that setting even be an option? In what bizarre world would a commercial airliner even be cruising at 1,000 feet, much less 100?
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Plane Crash

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
So the co-pilot deliberately dropped the plane out of the sky. Wow, that's happened several times now. Airlines better get their (bleep) together. Terrible, just terrible.

I had read that there was an Egyptian flight where American investigators came to the same conclusion. What other ones do you recall?

Seriously, that is about as nightmarish a scenario as you can think of. Putting your life in someone's hands and having them proverbially driving right off a cliff.

I saw a list today of 5 that have taken place. Though, like the Egyptian Air flight they were all in Africa and Asia (If I am remembering correctly).

There was also a PSA flight in California many years ago where a fired PSA employee boarded a flight with a gun and shot the guy who fired him and then went to the cockpit and shot the pilot and co-pilot, thus sending the plane into a crash.

Funny. I remember that one well and was talking to someone about it a couple of months ago.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If that's the actual quote that they got from the woman then that headline they used is a damn shame

Well, she also said....

"He would suddenly freak out in conversations and yell at me," she recalled. "At night he would wake up screaming 'we are crashing' because he had nightmares.

So, show of hands on how many people would board themselves or their loved ones on a flight piloted by someone with this behavior. She is a flight attendant for God's sake. She damn sure had an obligation to notify someone of this behavior.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, she also said....

"He would suddenly freak out in conversations and yell at me," she recalled. "At night he would wake up screaming 'we are crashing' because he had nightmares.

So, show of hands on how many people would board themselves or their loved ones on a flight piloted by someone with this behavior. She is a flight attendant for God's sake. She damn sure had an obligation to notify someone of this behavior.

Its easy to say that after the fact, because you know he purposely crashed a plane and killed hundreds of people, but in reality at the time, what would it have done? He screams we are crashing when he sleeps, so what? That's easy to explain away. He is simply a pilot having a nightmare about a worst case scenario at his job, I would venture to guess that he's probably not the only one who has had such dreams before. The other statement was so vague that you could actually view it as a positive statement in the moment. From her vantage point, at worst, he's a dude that sometimes becomes a verbally abusive a-hole because he's stressed out from work. Also, the dude reportedly already had episodes where he was suspended from flying during flight school for 18-months for psychological issues, why did they let him finish school after that? He should have been shut down right then and there.

The headline made it sound like he specifically told the flight attendant he was going to intentionally crash a plane at breakfast last month and she sat there and was like "okay cool". Given the "facts" in this article about how his employers handle these situations, I doubt anything she said would have made any difference. Say that she does decide to go and tell someone this extremely vague information, they call him in to see whats going on and he says "she trippin" and he's back in the cockpit in no time. The writers of that article are over there sensationalizing things and trying to make it sound like she was complicit in a mass murder, using misleading headlines to attract people who are searching for someone else to blame in addition to the pilot in order to make rational sense of how no one knew that such an unexpected and unthinkable tragedy was coming. Its a damn shame
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
leor_77 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, she also said....

Its easy to say that after the fact, because you know he purposely crashed a plane and killed hundreds of people, but in reality at the time, what would it have done? He screams we are crashing when he sleeps, so what? That's easy to explain away. He is simply a pilot having a nightmare about a worst case scenario at his job, I would venture to guess that he's probably not the only one who has had such dreams before. The other statement was so vague that you could actually view it as a positive statement in the moment. From her vantage point, at worst, he's a dude that sometimes becomes a verbally abusive a-hole because he's stressed out from work. Also, the dude reportedly already had episodes where he was suspended from flying during flight school for 18-months for psychological issues, why did they let him finish school after that? He should have been shut down right then and there.

The headline made it sound like he specifically told the flight attendant he was going to intentionally crash a plane at breakfast last month and she sat there and was like "okay cool". Given the "facts" in this article about how his employers handle these situations, I doubt anything she said would have made any difference. Say that she does decide to go and tell someone this extremely vague information, they call him in to see whats going on and he says "she trippin" and he's back in the cockpit in no time. The writers of that article are over there sensationalizing things and trying to make it sound like she was complicit in a mass murder, using misleading headlines to attract people who are searching for someone else to blame in addition to the pilot in order to make rational sense of how no one knew that such an unexpected and unthinkable tragedy was coming. Its a damn shame

You make strong points. While not conceding the point, I agree it might not be as bad as it seems from her end and that the airline might have ignored her and she knew it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

Prosecutors: Co-pilot treated for suicidal tendencies

LINK

This was a accident that could have been avoided.

I don't know who was responsible for allowing Andreas Lubitz to copilot a passenger plan but IMO whoever was should face some kind of consequences.

His medical records tell me he was unstable, unfit to fly a passenger plane. Management was aware of his condition.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject:

Friend of Germanwings pilot speaks out in his defense

LINK

As far as I know mental illness usually doesn't present it's self outwardly in most cases. In this case his medical records imply his employers should have seen something.

Reports say a breakup with his girlfriend may have led to the crashing of the flight.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: