Love/Westbrook Reunion with Lakers Rumor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
By the time Westbrook got here he'd be 29 and about to exit his prime on top of the fact that the majority of his game is based upon his athleticism and already has had multiple knee surgeries.

Pass. What he's doing for OKC now or for the next year could likely be his swan song. We've seen it before, and it isn't exactly leading them to many wins.

You want to see someone doing it on EVERY level on BOTH sides of the floor while leading his team to wins watch Anthony Davis.

The word is in his prime, not exiting his prime. At 29 he should have another good 4-5 years in him.

Given the way he plays, not likely. Unless he does what Kobe did and start angling his game around fundamentals, and things he can depend on once his athleticism wanes. I don't see that happening.

Kobe was able to adapt his game because he's 6'6. He turned more into a post up player.. fade aways. Russell can't really do that.. he's 6'3. his athleticism leaving him will leave him like Deron Williams.. who today was 1-11..
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject:

The difference is Westbrook is arguably the most athletic player in NBA history. Kobe was athletic but he didn't have Westbrooks speed and agility, he's faster then some NFL DB's. So even if he loses some athleticism at age 32, he's still going to be athletic. Barring a major injury, I don't think we'll see a significant decline in his athleticism until he's about 34. I put Westbrook in the same class of great athletes like Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Jordan, and Lebron.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject:

i think Lebron is the most athletic player in NBA history.

RWB is a close 2nd.

what I do love about him is his tenacity.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
If the Thunder are willing to do #4 or #5 pick + Clarkson or Randle for Westbrook then you do it.

You want a megastar ... Westbrook is on the cusp. He does his 25+ pts 7+ reb 7+ ast in LA and he's going to be HUGE.

it would be pointless. Because you're doing nothing for two straight years but having the name "Russell Westbrook" on your flyers. The team doesn't go anywhere. And by the time you built something to go somewhere 3-4 years down the line Westbrook is pushing 30, and isn't the same guy you wanted. Or the Westbrook you wanted him to be by the time you built something.

IF it's gonna take 3-4 years to rebuild something (Westbrook or no Westbrook) then why not just develop Clarkson, Randle and the Top 5 pick for those 3 years and then land Westbrook in free agency. That's your better chance of "instant gratification" after landing Westbrook.

This is he mentality that's present on LG and needs to change IMO.

There are no quick fixes people. We have to develop Clarkson/Randle/and top 5 and add pieces/superstars to them. Not trade them for pieces and leave our cupboard bare.

People should be happy with this because it gives you the longest title window.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kobe209
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
The difference is Westbrook is arguably the most athletic player in NBA history. Kobe was athletic but he didn't have Westbrooks speed and agility, he's faster then some NFL DB's. So even if he loses some athleticism at age 32, he's still going to be athletic. Barring a major injury, I don't think we'll see a significant decline in his athleticism until he's about 34. I put Westbrook in the same class of great athletes like Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Jordan, and Lebron.

Vince Carter was jumping over 7 footers heads.... he completely fell off a cliff around 29 years old. A game based on athleticism always flames out way before fundamentals

IG: wywsabaywb
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
The difference is Westbrook is arguably the most athletic player in NBA history.

So was Rose..

So was Vince Carter...

So was Tracy McGrady ...

They all start falling off around their late 20s or due to injury, late 20s mostly if they fail to adapt their game if the majority of it is based upon athleticism.

Vince Carters game was based around his athleticism due to his lack of ability to change direction. He jumped over people's heads so he compensated. Once that was gone.. he was nowhere near. Not even in Orlando.

The best players later in their careers learn to start adapting their game, those that don't fade away.

Westbrook doesn't seem like he's really done that as he hasn't had to. But he really should, because given his knee problems, and his break pace style, if he continues to do this for 2 more seasons he won't be anything near what we're seeing now by the time the Lakers got him.

And it would be pointless to get him now as he isn't taking us anywhere with just him Kobe and no one else but a bunch of C+ talent to surround them with.

IF you want to get Westbrook you do it when you have a complete team, if you want Westbrook by 2017 then we should spend the next 2 seasons building one so that when he's a free agent we seem like a viable option for him.

Like I said.. imagine this scenario

2015:
Lakers Draft: Justise Winslow and Tyus Jones/Caris LeVert
Lakers sign: Deandre Jordan to 4 year max deal
Lakers sign: Gerald Green to small 3 year deal

They develop, Clarkson, Randle, Winslow throughout the 2016 and the 2017 season and the other pieces.

in 2017 free agency, Westbrook is a free agent.

The Lakers make their pitch.

The Lakers team if Westbrook signs on.

Jordan Clarkson(hitting his prime)
Russell Westbrook(near the end of it)
Justise Winslow(hitting his prime)
Julius Randle(hitting his prime)
Deandre Jordan(in his prime for another season or two)

Bench:
Tyus Jones
Nick Young
Gerald Green
Ryan Kelly
Tarik Black/ Ed Davis

or some other pieces.

That starting lineup if Randle, Clarkson and Winslow all panned out is probably an instant favorite in the west due to the young core of talent and the addition of Westbrook is potentially enough to put them over the top while ALSO loosening the workload on Westbrook a bit because of what Clarkson, Randle and Winslow can handle, and they have a defensive 3 in Winslow and a defensive 5 in Jordan. And they have scoring off the bench from Young and Green as well as defense from Black and/or Davis and the facilitator in Jones OR if they landed LeVert, another scorer.

So.. when it comes down it the plan should be

to have a complete team or near complete team by 2017 that Westbrook wants to come to with the young talent we've developed, and then try to ADD Westbrook to that team instead of breaking apart that team before you've even developed it.

If Randle, Clarkson, Winslow all panned out the way we hope they will, then adding Westbrook and Deandre to that team could be special.

So why not aim for that. And that way even if you don't land Westbrook your team is STILL going to be around and doing damage in the West based upon Winslow, Clarkson and Randle's ability if they've panned out by then.
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject:

I miss DJ Mbenga
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject:

KobeMania wrote:
I miss DJ Mbenga

I miss you
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject:

Westbrook + Love will get you to the playoffs out West. But that's about it. Not gonna sniff a championship if that our big 2.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
The difference is Westbrook is arguably the most athletic player in NBA history.

So was Rose..

So was Vince Carter...

So was Tracy McGrady ...

The difference, Westbrook's killer instinct .. F-U attitude is what none of those guys had. Westbrook is the CLOSEST thing to Kobe!
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
44-25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
MJST wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

So was Rose..

So was Vince Carter...

So was Tracy McGrady ...

The difference, Westbrook's killer instinct .. F-U attitude is what none of those guys had. Westbrook is the CLOSEST thing to Kobe!

Lot of greatness until you break a leg...

Wait until free agency 2017. We give up nothing for westbrook.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
MJST wrote:
By the time Westbrook got here he'd be 29 and about to exit his prime on top of the fact that the majority of his game is based upon his athleticism and already has had multiple knee surgeries.

Pass. What he's doing for OKC now or for the next year could likely be his swan song. We've seen it before, and it isn't exactly leading them to many wins.

You want to see someone doing it on EVERY level on BOTH sides of the floor while leading his team to wins watch Anthony Davis.

The word is in his prime, not exiting his prime. At 29 he should have another good 4-5 years in him.

Given the way he plays, not likely. Unless he does what Kobe did and start angling his game around fundamentals, and things he can depend on once his athleticism wanes. I don't see that happening.

The point is, you have no idea when his athleticism will wane. To assume that it will at a certain age is just throwing stuff on the wall and seeing what sticks. When the time comes, if the FO believes he can give them a good 4 seasons, they will try to sign him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject:

Thugnomoe wrote:
i think Lebron is the most athletic player in NBA history.

RWB is a close 2nd.

what I do love about him is his tenacity.

I love discussions like this because we are all right and we are all wrong. I say Wilt.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
MJST wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
If the Thunder are willing to do #4 or #5 pick + Clarkson or Randle for Westbrook then you do it.

You want a megastar ... Westbrook is on the cusp. He does his 25+ pts 7+ reb 7+ ast in LA and he's going to be HUGE.

it would be pointless. Because you're doing nothing for two straight years but having the name "Russell Westbrook" on your flyers. The team doesn't go anywhere. And by the time you built something to go somewhere 3-4 years down the line Westbrook is pushing 30, and isn't the same guy you wanted. Or the Westbrook you wanted him to be by the time you built something.

IF it's gonna take 3-4 years to rebuild something (Westbrook or no Westbrook) then why not just develop Clarkson, Randle and the Top 5 pick for those 3 years and then land Westbrook in free agency. That's your better chance of "instant gratification" after landing Westbrook.

There are no quick fixes people. We have to develop Clarkson/Randle/and top 5 and add pieces/superstars to them. Not trade them for pieces and leave our cupboard bare.

If we trade young players for pieces, our cupboard would be no more bare than if we had kept the young players. It is easy to say we just need to add superstars, doing so is an entirely different beast. That is where trading a top young talent come in, that is the more likely way to add a superstar.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:
MJST wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

If we trade young players for pieces, our cupboard would be no more bare than if we had kept the young players. It is easy to say we just need to add superstars, doing so is an entirely different beast. That is where trading a top young talent come in, that is the more likely way to add a superstar.

Not when you look at the current climate in the NBA. Who are the guys the Lakers want? Durant. Westbrook.

When will those guys be available? The next 1-2 seasons. Why trade for them? Just develop the guys we have and sign those superstars outright.

The alternative is trading our young guys for superstars and risking the superstars leaving us when their FA hits. We're not going to get a Durant, Cousins, Westbrook level player unless we give up two or Clarkson, Randle, Top 5, etc. I'd rather be in the position of trying to convince a superstar to come than convincing them to stay. The difference is even if they don't come we still have all these promising players to fall back on. If they leave and we've already traded pieces for them we're back in tankville. Much higher risk by trading, and the payoff is the same in both scenarios
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:

Most of the upcoming superstars won't be available as FAs for another 4-5 years due to RFA and the new CBA. That is why if you get the opportunity to turn a young player into one of them you do it. I am not sure where the idea that the Lakers will sit back for 2-3 years, let young guys develop, and then hope to sign some FAs and compete comes from. They will be shooting to make the playoffs next season. I don't think they can, but if a proven player with a lot of potential is available, the FO will consider them. They will spend cap money this offseason on some vets who will help hit that 35-40 win plateau next season, and then spend again in 2016.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Most of the upcoming superstars won't be available as FAs for another 4-5 years due to RFA and the new CBA. That is why if you get the opportunity to turn a young player into one of them you do it. I am not sure where the idea that the Lakers will sit back for 2-3 years, let young guys develop, and then hope to sign some FAs and compete comes from. They will be shooting to make the playoffs next season. I don't think they can, but if a proven player with a lot of potential is available, the FO will consider them. They will spend cap money this offseason on some vets who will help hit that 35-40 win plateau next season, and then spend again in 2016.

We're arguing the same thing

The bolded is key, and I predict none of those types will be available for anything reasonable.

And the italicized I agree with as well.

Here's where we probably have a slight disconnect it semantics. I don't count not signing overrated players who don't fit our needs as "sitting back". If there are no star players available this offseason who fit to help us now and the future I am completely fin with getting the Greens, Carrolls, and Middletons of the world. To me that's not sitting back. That's being smart and waiting for the right signing/trade to make. And developing the young guys is not a waste of time either. It's something that will pay off tremendously if they do it right (which they have been). Look at GSW. They were able to develop their young guys AND add solid vets and it's paid off. That's all I ask for
Kingpin2010
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

I like how it's just a forgone conclusion that Randle/Clarkson/top 5 are future all-stars in 2 years that are going to draw in free agents. Odds are there is a much better chance none become all-stars compared to 3, heck even probably 2 becoming all-stars.

Everyone wants to compare to OKC and that's just not realistic. Cleveland is realistic and look how well they did before Lebron came back. Irving was an all-star, Thompson was a solid pick and they couldn't win jack in the weak east. it took free agency and trades to get them to title contention. Okc is the exception, not the rule.

I'll take my chances with a top 5 player in westbrook attracting FA over the next few off-seasons than 1st and 2nd year players.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject:

Kingpin2010 wrote:
I like how it's just a forgone conclusion that Randle/Clarkson/top 5 are future all-stars in 2 years that are going to draw in free agents. Odds are there is a much better chance none become all-stars compared to 3, heck even probably 2 becoming all-stars.

Everyone wants to compare to OKC and that's just not realistic. Cleveland is realistic and look how well they did before Lebron came back. Irving was an all-star, Thompson was a solid pick and they couldn't win jack in the weak east. it took free agency and trades to get them to title contention. Okc is the exception, not the rule.

I'll take my chances with a top 5 player in westbrook attracting FA over the next few off-seasons than 1st and 2nd year players.

No need to compare to either one when you can look at our actual players LOL.

Look at Clarkson's play and skillset. Look at Randle's.

Now look at when Westbrook will be available. You can have all of them if you just wait 2 seasons. Much less risky than trading for Westbrook and hoping he stays. What if we're not a contender by the end of his contract? Will he leave for better hopes at a title? That should be heavily considered.

BTW if Clarkson and Randle didn't have significant potential, there's no way OKC would trade Westbrook for them anyway. So which is it? Are they promising young players who can net you Westbrook in a trade? Or are they overly hyped who won't amount to anything and we should dump them now
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

do not want Love. his game does not suit for today's NBA. for a big man who likes to shoot threes, he's not athletic enough to drive by defenders if they play up too close to him. plus his defensive flaws have been well documented.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

We're arguing the same thing

The bolded is key, and I predict none of those types will be available for anything reasonable.

And the italicized I agree with as well.

Here's where we probably have a slight disconnect it semantics. I don't count not signing overrated players who don't fit our needs as "sitting back". If there are no star players available this offseason who fit to help us now and the future I am completely fin with getting the Greens, Carrolls, and Middletons of the world. To me that's not sitting back. That's being smart and waiting for the right signing/trade to make. And developing the young guys is not a waste of time either. It's something that will pay off tremendously if they do it right (which they have been). Look at GSW. They were able to develop their young guys AND add solid vets and it's paid off. That's all I ask for

I agree, we are on the same page.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

Kingpin2010 wrote:

Not really, there are more Laker fans than any other team, so if they consolidate their all star votes on the 3, chances are they will get the nod.
Kingpin2010
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Kingpin2010 wrote:

No need to compare to either one when you can look at our actual players LOL.

Look at Clarkson's play and skillset. Look at Randle's.

Now look at when Westbrook will be available. You can have all of them if you just wait 2 seasons. Much less risky than trading for Westbrook and hoping he stays. What if we're not a contender by the end of his contract? Will he leave for better hopes at a title? That should be heavily considered.

BTW if Clarkson and Randle didn't have significant potential, there's no way OKC would trade Westbrook for them anyway. So which is it? Are they promising young players who can net you Westbrook in a trade? Or are they overly hyped who won't amount to anything and we should dump them now

Odds are Westbrook will be traded and never reach free agency. It's not risky trading for Westbrook now, he'll have multiple summers to recruit FA's to come here. Next summer with the huge cap jump, I'd rather have WB recruiting than 1st and 2nd year guys.

There's a huge difference between having potential and realizing that potential. Wes Johnson (or insert any high draft pick really) had high potential too. Who's to say Clarkson isn't the next Marshon Brooks. I'm high on both Randle and Clarkson, but I also realize there's just as good of a chance they aren't all-stars compared to them becoming all-stars, same with the top-5. Instead of hoping all these guys reach their potential, if a trade is available for a legit superstar like Westbrook you got to do it.
Kingpin2010
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Kingpin2010 wrote:

Not really, there are more Laker fans than any other team, so if they consolidate their all star votes on the 3, chances are they will get the nod.

Touché. Ok All-star caliber players
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
MJST wrote:
KobeRe-Loaded wrote:

My mentality is the one the front office needs.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: