Ed Davis not happy with Byron Scott
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:

If I'm Ed Davis (or his agent), I wouldn't worry too much about not playing. I think he has shown enough to dictate his worth in the free agent market. I don't think he can do anymore to improve on that.

On the other hand, he is risking injury (Wes Matthews say hi) playing hard for a team going nowhere...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
If I'm Ed Davis (or his agent), I wouldn't worry too much about not playing. I think he has shown enough to dictate his worth in the free agent market. I don't think he can do anymore to improve on that.

On the other hand, he is risking injury (Wes Matthews say hi) playing hard for a team going nowhere...

Very logical and true, but Ed Davis is a competitor and has a lot of heart. He's like Kobe, he wants to play and he wants to win no matter what. Bad for the tank.

But we'll like next year when we're trying to win
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Rugbar wrote:
Just venting...but...what a huge albatross Kobe's contract is around the team's neck. There, I said it.

Your feelings are understandable. But the new NBA system doesn't allow the overnight rebuild. If you factor in the championship roster hangover and deficit caused by the last ditch effort to win one for an ailing Dr. Buss, it's no surprise the recovery has been so rough.

The duration of Kobe's contract coincides with the time period LA needs to build a roster good enough to draw the attention of difference making free agents. Once that happens, there will be no shortage of players willing to step into that leading role. In the mean time, Bryant keeps LA business-relevant if only for nostalgia.

Being this bad hurt tremendously, yes. But in the big picture if you are going to miss the playoffs anyway it's better to be in a race to the bottom. Most Laker fans are still scared of losing the pick but you could even contend that the limited protection on the pick has improved the chances it lands high in the draft given the choices management has had to make.

It starts getting better next year and will be much better the year after.
ice_cold
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Triple Double wrote:
What his problem? He'll play again. First game of next season he'll play again.

I'm getting a kind of grim humor out of seeing the way the Lakers beat writers are talking about tanking without actually saying the word.

In this article:
"A side note: The Lakers (19-53) hold the NBA's fourth-worst record and could lose their first-round draft pick if they fall below the fifth spot on lottery night."
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ed Davis not happy with Byron Scott

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
LINK

As expected, Ed Davis did not like getting benched for no reason against the Nets and with him not participating most of the 4th through out the season.... Scott benching Davis will likely add another tension to this train-wreck season...

when is Scott gonna get fired? he really wants to lose the respect of the players only because of his dumb pre-game rotation strategy.... what a horrible hire...

Scott doesn't deserve to be fired. He's done a terrific job. This team can't win because it simply lacks high-end talent, but the young players have improved, are forced to focus on defense and fundamentals and play hard every game no matter what.

What is it with everyone always crying out for people to lose their jobs?

Just because Ed Davis is not happy about getting benched doesn't mean the coach needs to be fired. Ed SHOULD be upset by it, just as the players SHOULD try to win every game and SHOULD play hard regardless of lottery status. You want players who play hard and care about being on the court.
Iandrewd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject:

Well, there's a reason ESPN ranked the Lakers coach so low. Ed Davis has been one of the best players for the Lakers this year. Front office better not let the guy leave. He'll be a terrific value for the team that signs him. The kind of guy that can be a very good starter on a championship team and cost as much as some backups.
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:

Didn't Davis pass up $$ for PT to sign with us? If history is a predictor of the future...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

jlinfan wrote:
Didn't Davis pass up $$ for PT to sign with us? If history is a predictor of the future...

Not quite. It was reported he turned down a $20 million contract extension from Memphis. A year later or so, he hit the free agent market, but didn't get the offers he expected, so he signed with us. Basically, he didn't so much take less to play for us, as he gambled and lost on free agency.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject:

Iandrewd wrote:
Well, there's a reason ESPN ranked the Lakers coach so low. Ed Davis has been one of the best players for the Lakers this year. Front office better not let the guy leave. He'll be a terrific value for the team that signs him. The kind of guy that can be a very good starter on a championship team and cost as much as some backups.

Not sure if he can start on a championship team. I think he's more of a great backup on a ring team. As far as value, that depends on the offers he gets. He was a steal this year, but that's not happening again. His salary will go up to market value, so I wouldn't count on his being a bargain for anyone next year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:

Not sure if he can start on a championship team. I think he's more of a great backup on a ring team. As far as value, that depends on the offers he gets. He was a steal this year, but that's not happening again. His salary will go up to market value, so I wouldn't count on his being a bargain for anyone next year.

This is the fallout from trying to tank, we lose players who can help us in the future. Notice that in recent history no tanking team has signed a big time FA. Yet Lakers fans expect both.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:

This is the fallout from trying to tank, we lose players who can help us in the future. Notice that in recent history no tanking team has signed a big time FA. Yet Lakers fans expect both.

Well, players use teams like the Lakers to parlay more PT and padded stats to get lucrative contracts elsewhere. Not sure why you think it's a one way street.

Not that it matters, but Kobe's contract doesn't exactly help us keep guys either.
Lakerbull
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject:

get in line Ed
laserboy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

Scott is caught between a rock and a hard place, doing the best he can to maximize our lottery odds while keeping players motivated and hungry to win.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Ed wants to play with better teammates next year. Drafting a quality young guy would make him happy, so he doesn't approve of all this winning.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:

Star FAs rarely go to a team without a star. Tanking really has nothing to do with it. Also, star FAs rarely switch teams in FA anyways. That occurrence isn't large enough to see any reasonable patterns.
ODotSoHot
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:

Cleveland?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject:

ODotSoHot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:

Cleveland?

You beat me to it Odot
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject:

ODotSoHot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Iandrewd wrote:

Cleveland?

That's true, but obviously an extremely unique situation with a particular FA having particularly loyal ties to a particular city. If it wasn't LeBron or LeBron wasn't from Cleveland, a top FA never would have picked that Cleveland team.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ed Davis not happy with Byron Scott

LakerJam wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
LINK

As expected, Ed Davis did not like getting benched for no reason against the Nets and with him not participating most of the 4th through out the season.... Scott benching Davis will likely add another tension to this train-wreck season...

when is Scott gonna get fired? he really wants to lose the respect of the players only because of his dumb pre-game rotation strategy.... what a horrible hire...

Scott doesn't deserve to be fired. He's done a terrific job. This team can't win because it simply lacks high-end talent, but the young players have improved, are forced to focus on defense and fundamentals and play hard every game no matter what.

Just because Ed Davis is not happy about getting benched doesn't mean the coach needs to be fired. Ed SHOULD be upset by it, just as the players SHOULD try to win every game and SHOULD play hard regardless of lottery status. You want players who play hard and care about being on the court.

Thank you. When I watch this team play, my instincts keep telling me Byron has been doing a pretty good job this year, but the over-the-top criticism of him has made me question my position all season.

I just can't watch this team and say with a straight face the coach has held them back. He tried to find a lineup that works, he gave everyone a fair amount of time to show what they could do, he put guys at different positions, he never wavered from his emphasis on defense, he gave young guys an opportunity, and has them all playing hard, and for the most part he's held the locker room together. After a certain point you just have to concede the talent simply isn't there.
Rugbar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ed Davis not happy with Byron Scott

Ziggy wrote:
LakerJam wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
LINK

Thank you. When I watch this team play, my instincts keep telling me Byron has been doing a pretty good job this year, but the over-the-top criticism of him has made me question my position all season.

I just can't watch this team and say with a straight face the coach has held them back. He tried to find a lineup that works, he gave everyone a fair amount of time to show what they could do, he put guys at different positions, he never wavered from his emphasis on defense, he gave young guys an opportunity, and has them all playing hard, and for the most part he's held the locker room together. After a certain point you just have to concede the talent simply isn't there.

Major problems with BS as coach:

1) Gave way too many minutes to Kobe (an old man by NBA standards who was coming off an injury) early in the season. Let Kobe shoot so much that he led the league in usage rate by a wide margin early in the season--despite having an absolutely horrible TS% (below the average for every NBA team).

2) Didn't highlight the Lin-Davis connection (especially the pick and roll) early in the season even though it was clear from the preseason that it should be the offensive focus when Kobe was off the floor. (The extremely high PERs that Davis and Lin have attained in the second half demonstrate this clearly.)

3) Repeatedly shown an embarrassing disdain for advanced metrics in a manner completely out of synch with league trends.

And so on and so forth....
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject:

We should start taking bets on when will Davis see the light again? And if it is with Lakers at all?

Could Scott's behaviour drive him away from Lakers? He has promised to opt out after this season.
I'd rather keep Davis than Sacre or Boozer. Probably even over Hill.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: