Clarkson's ceiling?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is Clarkson's most likely ceiling?
Journeyman
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Solid backup
8%
 8%  [ 11 ]
Solid starter
39%
 39%  [ 52 ]
Makes the all-star team once or twice
33%
 33%  [ 44 ]
Multiple time all-star
15%
 15%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 131

Purp&Gold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:

laker fans aint happy with any player, calling a 46th pick overrated smh.

daruis morris couldnt put up clarksons numbers in his dreams.
Plaza234
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:

I think Clarkson's ceiling is George Hill of the Pacers. Its easy to put up numbers on bad teams though. Hard to tell how he would translate to a good team, but just look at how he plays he reminds of Hill. He's more of a hybrid 1/2. Not a natural PG. Wiry lean frame. Not overly quick but good enough.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Key word to me is "ceiling". His ceiling is multiple all-star appearances.
scott12199
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject:

ronnyjeremy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
Mitch needs to send this dude to hawaii starting now till until the season over with. The future is bright for him but if he keeps playing the way he is playing and winds up costing us a top 5 pick he will play the majority of his career with really crappy teams. So think longterm clarkson and slow it down or suffer the consequences.

You really, really over value that draft pick. Way, way over value.

Losing that draft pick would put us back for years. Don't know how you can say that draft pick isn't important.

If we lose the pick this year, we will be fine because clarkson is a lotto pick we lucked into. we would be a year ahead if we kept this years pick.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject:

his ceiling is the ability to singlehandedly destroy our tank machine
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject:

ronnyjeremy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ronnyjeremy wrote:
Mitch needs to send this dude to hawaii starting now till until the season over with. The future is bright for him but if he keeps playing the way he is playing and winds up costing us a top 5 pick he will play the majority of his career with really crappy teams. So think longterm clarkson and slow it down or suffer the consequences.

You really, really over value that draft pick. Way, way over value.

Losing that draft pick would put us back for years. Don't know how you can say that draft pick isn't important.

Getting that draft pick could put us back for years too.

It's funny. No one was saying these silly things when the season started and Kobe was supposed to lead us to an 8th-ish seed. Don't forget -- we weren't supposed to be in contention for this pick.

Last edited by ringfinger on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Explain please
bum2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject:

Hard to say because on a team this bad, someone will always do things which makes them look better then what they actually are.
Nick Young last year was a decent example of that...not that Clarkson will be that kind of player.

At the moment, he looks like he could be a top 7 player on a good good team.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject:

Jordan Clutchson doin werrrrk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject:

Purp&Gold wrote:
laker fans aint happy with any player, calling a 46th pick overrated smh.

daruis morris couldnt put up clarksons numbers in his dreams.

That a low bar to judge players by.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Explain please

Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject:

Plaza234 wrote:
I think Clarkson's ceiling is George Hill of the Pacers. Its easy to put up numbers on bad teams though. Hard to tell how he would translate to a good team, but just look at how he plays he reminds of Hill. He's more of a hybrid 1/2. Not a natural PG. Wiry lean frame. Not overly quick but good enough.

I wish people would stop saying that, because it's simply not true. SOME players put up numbers on bad teams only to be exposed later on, but the overwhelming majority don't. It is by no means "EASY" to put up numbers on bad teams.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject:

Clarkson isn't just doing this by luck. It's not like he is throwing the ball up 20 times a game. He's efficient in what he does and has the skills to keep improving. He may not average these numbers with real starters but I think his ceiling will be a #3 option on a playoff team. People are too obsessed with "Scoring" and "Point" guard. Clarkson is a guy who can do both. If he needs to distribute he can and if he needs to score he has that option. He will be able to blend with a ball dominant guard because he doesn't need to have the ball in his hands but he can also keep the load off other players. Him and Randle will be deadly in a few years, pair him with a Center this off season and we have a great foundation.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
Plaza234 wrote:

I wish people would stop saying that, because it's simply not true. SOME players put up numbers on bad teams only to be exposed later on, but the overwhelming majority don't. It is by no means "EASY" to put up numbers on bad teams.

Also, a pair of eyes will tell you his toolbox has WAY more in it than George Hill. Awful comparison all-around.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject:

I thought scoring and assist would go up for some players if they have a good team?
don't have to pass to the likes of kelly or ellington hoping they will make the bucket. or defenses don't really have to guard scrubs and just concentrate on jordan.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:30 am    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
LakerEric wrote:
Solid backup or journeyman. He looks decent because of the minutes and no pressure of winning games. Get him there under the bright, bright lights...he's Darius Morris.

That's bull. If that were true a lot more scrubs and rookies would be putting up numbers similar to him. Most lottery picks go to bad teams also, should we discount their numbers because they are on a bad team?

Currently overrated. He can be solid off the bench eventually. Get your blinders off.

I can see why your saying he's 'currently overrated', and a reason why I said in a previous thread that if the price is right, I would sell high on Clarkson. In the middle of the season where it was obvious that we were trying to win games, and teams somewhat respected us, he didn't look very good. I remember the game against Houston where Patrick Beverly pretty much took him to the back shed. Yes, people will say he's just a rookie...46th pick, he's been steadily improving blah blah blah. I get it. He's obviously producing big numbers right now. And by no means will I be surprised if he does turn out to be a stud. But some of you are acting as if he's ready to dethrone Steph Curry as the best PG in the game. What he has proven is that he can put the ball in the hole. He has a very solid midrange game, and is extremely efficient around the basket. This is why I think his game is more suited to be a SG. He moves great off the ball (obvious in todays game). When he attacks the rim, he gets tunnel vision, and rarely kicks it out to the open shooters. Are you guys ok with having a score first PG? Serious question, because that is what Jordan Clarkson will be.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject:

Solid starter, but I almost voted for "All-Star once or twice".
18/6/6 averages for a good numbers of seasons.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject:

dvdrdiscs wrote:
Ceiling: Shaq

Floor: Filipino dad at the park.

Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject:

As a ceiling I would have to go with fringe All-Star. He has too many peers that that will always keep him on the outside. PG is a stacked position in the West. I would predict he has a few peak years to get the invite though.

But from what I have seen so far the second half of the season I am impressed with how he has grown. Going to be interesting to see how he develops with an off-season of training. Skills and athleticism are there. The attitude is there. Now it is about how he fine tunes becoming a solid professional.

Finally I have to say I am disappointed but not surprised to see so many negative comments from the tank disciples. Young man shows a competitive attitude and finds a way to win a game and many want to criticize him for it.

Really sad how the tank disease has infected the league. They have to find a way to fix this. Too many are upset about a young player developing in front of eyes. IMO it is a good thing that the Lakers found a talented player with a will to win this late in a horrible season.

For those that did not watch the game. Scott ran a lineup of Clarkson, Brown, Ellington, Johnson and Kelly down the the stretch and in overtime. Kelly outplayed Norlens and Johnson had a key block against a PF. Clarkson drove to the basket and hit key FTs.

I know it jeopardizes the tank, but those young men did not quit. Good for them.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject:

1. Clarkson is the brightest light in this otherwise terrible season.

2. He was a 46th pick so we should be elated at what's he giving us.

3. However, still need to see how he performs on a winning team. Can he play this well on a team with better players (likely)?
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject:

They have been eliminated from playoff contention and the next possible way to improve the team is through the draft. We lose the pick if we are not bottom 5. Clarkson can play and gain valuable experience during this stretch. Clarkson can can have a full offseason to work even more on his game. It's sad that a ton of you can not and will not see that losing is imperative in improving the franchise adding another stud along with Randle and maybe Clarkson (if he has it in him to be productive in games that count in a winning atmosphere). If we had no worries about top 5 protection (Mitch's fault on trusting the health of a late 30s PG) then you still get a top 10 young player who could be a star or a productive, young role player over time. This is what the tankers are livid about and any of you arguing this are beyond reason.

Peace.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
They have been eliminated from playoff contention and the next possible way to improve the team is through the draft. We lose the pick if we are not bottom 5. Clarkson can play and gain valuable experience during this stretch. Clarkson can can have a full offseason to work even more on his game. It's sad that a ton of you can not and will not see that losing is imperative in improving the franchise adding another stud along with Randle and maybe Clarkson (if he has it in him to be productive in games that count in a winning atmosphere). If we had no worries about top 5 protection (Mitch's fault on trusting the health of a late 30s PG) then you still get a top 10 young player who could be a star or a productive, young role player over time. This is what the tankers are livid about and any of you arguing this are beyond reason.

Peace.

I want that top 5 pick as badly as any of team tank!

But I will let the players play ball. Think about that lineup last night. Kelly at C, Johnson at PF and Ellington, Brown (10 day contract player) and Clarkson. What should they have done to work harder to lose?

Perhaps the Lakers should embrace the tank for next year and just forfeit the entire season now. 0-82 will get you no higher then third pick next year. Go Lakers!

Clarkson has shown the attitude to want the ball in critical moments. He wants the shot at the end of games. He has stood at the FT line and drilled critical shots with games on the line. I see that as a positive for the future.

Being pissed he did not find a way to lose is sad.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject:

I think the disappointment from Team Tank is that this should have happened about 3 months ago. Like the college student that misses classes all year and crams the week before final exams, this is what the Lakers "tank" job is. Too little too late.
jlinfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject:

I voted: Multiple time all-star - for a few reasons, age, mentality and hops. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and I haven't seen him back down from any situation. And we have already seen him improve over the course of the year, so it wouldn't be too far of a leap that he improves his game over the next few years - maybe all star by 26 or 27. This of course is only if he gets a chance to play - I don't think it happens if he isn't ball dominant in the right system.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
Clarkson isn't just doing this by luck. It's not like he is throwing the ball up 20 times a game. He's efficient in what he does and has the skills to keep improving. He may not average these numbers with real starters but I think his ceiling will be a #3 option on a playoff team. People are too obsessed with "Scoring" and "Point" guard. Clarkson is a guy who can do both. If he needs to distribute he can and if he needs to score he has that option. He will be able to blend with a ball dominant guard because he doesn't need to have the ball in his hands but he can also keep the load off other players. Him and Randle will be deadly in a few years, pair him with a Center this off season and we have a great foundation.

That's the biggest thing for me. When people mention anyone can put up numbers on a bad team, that usually means that a player is doing it inefficiently if they are doing it all. But Clarkson has been very efficient all around. There is nothing really to complain about his game other than people wanting to see him do it with better players around him.

Last edited by Rivershow on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: