+++++ Clippers @ Lakers +++++++ 4/05/15 6:30PM PT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mykeinla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject:

PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
You guys think that game was painful to watch on TV, I just came back from watching it in person! still had a great time though

Same here. it was some game
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
So they have to lose but not by too much but they also have to be carefull to not get too close... Whatever man. Losing is losing. And btw I don't think the team is intentionally tanking. Feels like their energy and morale was pretty low getting into this game and they got destroyed by a team that competes.

Uhhhm we played Ed Davis a total of 12 minutes. (Once the game was safely out of reach) We played two Dleague PG's over Lin and Clarkson. (17 and 25 minutes respectively) we have sets featuring Ryan Kelly as the primary playmaker. Sacre is on the basketball court for more minutes than Davis and Boozer. Trust me, we're tanking lol
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:

PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
You guys think that game was painful to watch on TV, I just came back from watching it in person! still had a great time though

I went too. I actually find these Wack games a LOT more tolerable in person (atmosphere, other fans, my halftime pretzel, etc) than on TV. My work schedule hasn't been allowing me to go to games often of late and I've barely been able to make it through the games on TV.
kinein
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Watched it live as well. Left in the 4th, most of the Laker fans in my section also left before the end. We couldn't take it anymore.

I'd be surprised if more than 5 players are still on the roster after this season.

2nd: Lin has to leave now, there isn't anything to work with here for him he needs to go to the Mavs or a team that wants to get behind him.

3rd: Clarkson's going to start dealing with being regularly scouted, its all uphill from here, he is a SG without the natural instincts and ability to be a floor general at this point or make his team better. But I think the Lakers CAN build a team around him but he was invisible to me tonight.
Lakerbull
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject:

it will be whole different story once they start scouting Clarkson.he should not rest on his 'laureals'
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject:

kinein wrote:
Watched it live as well. Left in the 4th, most of the Laker fans in my section also left before the end. We couldn't take it anymore.

I'd be surprised if more than 5 players are still on the roster after this season.

2nd: Lin has to leave now, there isn't anything to work with here for him he needs to go to the Mavs or a team that wants to get behind him.

3rd: Clarkson's going to start dealing with being regularly scouted, its all uphill from here, he is a SG without the natural instincts and ability to be a floor general at this point or make his team better. But I think the Lakers CAN build a team around him but he was invisible to me tonight.

I was at the game as well. Most brutal game I've seen in person, and by far the most clippers fans I've ever seen inside Staples center. I admit I left with 5 minutes to go to avoid the rush.

The players flat out quit. There was no fight in them at all. No pride.

Lin had several moments where he had an open lane or a wide open shot and he passed it. Really frustrating. He'd catch it with space to do something, and just hold onto it while his defender caught up. The crowd would just groan. For someone with so much talent, he's just wayyyyy too passive. I get that he's a PG, but he can at least drive and kick when the lane is there. I mean even I can stand there, catch a pass, hold it, and pass it to someone else. Give me $15 million.

Tarik Black looked flat out intimidated by Deandre Jordan.

Turkoglu just launching 3's when they're already up 30 in the 4th And our guys never did anything about it. Just kept letting him catch and shoot. No pride.

My section really tried getting behind this team, but if getting embarrassed couldn't wake them up then there's nothing a crowd could do.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
kinein wrote:

I was at the game as well. Most brutal game I've seen in person, and by far the most clippers fans I've ever seen inside Staples center. I admit I left with 5 minutes to go to avoid the rush.

Lin had several moments where he had an open lane or a wide open shot and he passed it. Really frustrating. He'd catch it with space to do something, and just hold onto it while his defender caught up. The crowd would just groan. For someone with so much talent, he's just wayyyyy too passive. I get that he's a PG, but he can at least drive and kick when the lane is there. I mean even I can stand there, catch a pass, hold it, and pass it to someone else. Give me $15 million.

Turkoglu just launching 3's when they're already up 30 in the 4th And our guys never did anything about it. Just kept letting him catch and shoot. No pride.

My section really tried getting behind this team, but if getting embarrassed couldn't wake them up then there's nothing a crowd could do.

I got the impression that Byron wanted things to go through the bigs. The whole flow of the offense seemed like it was early in the season. I'm sure our guards were told that they need to do a better job of getting the others involved first and foremost.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
kinein wrote:

I got the impression that Byron wanted things to go through the bigs. The whole flow of the offense seemed like it was early in the season. I'm sure our guards were told that they need to do a better job of getting the others involved first and foremost.

Whatever he said, it was awful. Clarkson was targeted to stop, Lin hasn't been the same since back from the upper respiratory illness, Brown was OK but forcing a bit, "Bikes" is a D-leaguer, D Jordan on the Clips is a rim-protector and rebounder and caused Tariq problems, Boozer also has looked bad coming back from the flu, Hill didn't have a big game. It was ugly.
JLinfanJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
"Lin had several moments where he had an open lane or a wide open shot and he passed it. Really frustrating. He'd catch it with space to do something, and just hold onto it while his defender caught up. The crowd would just groan. For someone with so much talent, he's just wayyyyy too passive."

To me, that may or may not be a fair criticism of Lin, at least for this game, and in particular against DeAndre Jordan.

Lin can have a wide open court, beat Chris Paul off the dribble, and still get blocked by DeAndre Jordan who started play above the foul line:

If he was indecisive and thinking too much like early in the season, then I would agree with what you said above (to be fair to Lin, he was trying to learn a new offense and new teammates, and didn't even get to practice, scrimmage, or play pre-season games with the starters).

But particularly against DeAndre Jordan, he may not have the clean lane to the rim that it looks like he initially has.

I also like Lin paired with Clarkson (even if Lin is relegated to shooting guard while Clarkson plays point) throughout whole game; Lin got some nice open looks that he just missed (catch and shoot three, then pull up two pointer), but they looked like good looks in the flow of offense. Ryan Kelly also looks like he works really well with Lin (underrated team defender, pretty decent passing skills, and can slash to the basket a bit too)

Hill and Boozer look like they are anchoring offense on second unit now, so Jabari Brown and Buycks perhaps don't have as much responsibility now (may more pure Princeton where you don't really need a point guard, just good spot up shooter?)

Lakers usually start looking like this year's Knicks after Lin and Clarkson's minutes start to get staggered towards end of first quarter recent games; Lakers didn't collapse till late in third quarter this game, after Lin, then Clarkson sub'd out of game Brown and Buycks were left to try and run the team:

http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20150405&game=LACLAL

Other thing to remember is that Lin and Clarkson don't have option to run pnr with Ed Davis, since he has been benched, presumably till Lakers have locked up fourth worst record in league and it is ok to actually try and win a game.

Team seems like it would look alot more competitive if both Lin and Clarkson were both playing 35 true starter minutes, together, and Ed Davis out on floor with them, both to protect the rim and and run pnr with either guard. Ryan Kelly seems like he would work well with the others on floor; Tarik Black might clog up paint too much if on floor with Davis (?)

Lin Clarkson Davis led lineup would probably still get beat by Clippers and Blazers, but at least make Lakers look a bit more respectable on court.

I always thought because of Moreyball idealogy year 2 in Houston off the bench (three pointers, shots at rim, free throw; no midrange shots) that Lin was basically asked to attack the rim then hopping on one leg, and with one hand tied behind his back. For Lin to be as effective as he can be, he has to be allowed to shoot the ball more freely than 6 shots a game, and in particular defense has got to be forced to react to pull pull up jumper (that is key to him getting defense off balance when he attacks rim; otherwise opposing big just waits to block Lin at rim (especially when Lin is left to attack the rim solo, rather than attack as a unit with Ed Davis out of pnr and force defense to choose who to cover), and other players just wait to pick off pass to three point line they know will come from Lin when opposing big protecting the rim in front of him). It was true with Rockets year 2 in Houston, and it was true this year with Lakers when Lin looked really good against Hawks, Spurs, OKC?, Sixers.

Hopping on one leg with one hand tied behind their back; that seems like recent restriction put on all Lakers players and lineups as front office has to (understandably) make sure they hold off Orlando for fourth worst record in league and the 82.8% top 5 pick NBA Draft lottery odds that go with that ( http://www.libertyballers.com/the-liberty-beat/2014/10/20/7009899/the-new-nba-lottery-odds-and-you )

Boo the coaches and front office, not the players. Players are being put in a total no win situation on court right now (e. g. gotta hope that Buycks wasn't just brought up from D-League just to be convenient scape goat for Lakers self-inflicted struggles right now).

Lakerbull
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Lin definitely had orders to pass the ball not shoot from the Tank Commander
JLinfanJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject:

I think the Lakers players, from top of the roster to the botttom, are being put in a total no win situation recently: lineups ostensably for "player development", but perhaps also to insure Lakers maximize odds of keeping their top 5 protected pick this year (i. e. hold off Orlando for fourth worst record in the league).

I remember Mike Woodson, now assistant coach on Clippers, but previously head coach of Knicks after Mike D'Antoni resigned, would often deflect criticism from his players, warranted or not, by saying something like "I have to do a better job", or "I didn't put my players in a position to succeed."

I don't recall McHale ever saying that in Houston, and all Byron Scott wants to do is always call his players soft after an ugly loss like yesterday.

Knicks broadcasters seem to say that Knicks players are running on fumes right now, and that they have to be prodded not to quit on rest of season and already look forward to off season.

Lakers players, not one of them, looks like they have quit on team or fans; they are just being put in a position where it is impossible for them to succeed.

To me, they deserve applause rather than boos (boos should be directed at coaches and front office, not players), for continuing to fight through such a dysmal season, and even after unsurmountable obstacles are put in their way.

catman2u
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
So they have to lose but not by too much but they also have to be carefull to not get too close... Whatever man. Losing is losing. And btw I don't think the team is intentionally tanking. Feels like their energy and morale was pretty low getting into this game and they got destroyed by a team that competes.

The players are certainly not intentionally tanking. The coaching staff however has been making pathetic choices, lineups all season long. That's on BS, perhaps from above
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18
Jump to: