I don't want this to end
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
I don't want this to end

This season has been amazing.

Anybody notice, Jax's kid from Sons of Anarchy is the same actor as Betty's youngest kid (she had with the politician).
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject:

The funny thing is that the show has felt completely different these past couple episodes in terms of setting/focus from what it was for 7 and a half seasons. I've almost forgotten that Don was an ad man...(which I guess is the point). Honestly wouldn't have been surprised if he was murdered at the end there.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Yesterday's episode. (bleep).

Can't believe we're one episode away from the end.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Betts letter to Sally was pretty sad. That girl grew up fast in that environment.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
I don't want this to end

Anybody notice, Jax's kid from Sons of Anarchy is the same actor as Betty's youngest kid (she had with the politician).

Betty never had a kid with Henry Franci . Eugene is Don's kid.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject:

I feel like there's a good chance the only character we're going to see in next week's finale is Don.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
I don't want this to end

Betty never had a kid with Henry Franci . Eugene is Don's kid.

Didn't know that. To me honest, the boys have been confusing me for a while. I think 2-3 different kid actors played Bobby through the years.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I feel like there's a good chance the only character we're going to see in next week's finale is Don.

Roger hasn't had an appropriate send off. And (bleep) it we haven't reconnected with Salvatore. Maybe Don bumps into him on Venice Beach.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

Roger hasn't had an appropriate send off. And (bleep) it we haven't reconnected with Salvatore. Maybe Don bumps into him on Venice Beach.

You aren't going to do better than the scene with Peggy in the empty office.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

That was about Peggy. Roger deserves more than the last night of SCD & Associates. I can see him outside of Joan's apartment, about to go up to see his child, but seeing that dude from California has already assumed his place.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

That was about Peggy. Roger deserves more than the last night of SCD & Associates. I can see him outside of Joan's apartment, about to go up to see his child, but seeing that dude from California has already assumed his place.

That scene was about both of them. Ill be a little disappointed if that isn't the last we see of him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

That scene was about both of them. Ill be a little disappointed if that isn't the last we see of him.

That was a great scene. I just caught Sunday's episode last night and it was one of the best that I can remember. One thing they had gotten away with was ending the show with some type of pop song, I am glad to see them getting back to that. I remember one episode seasons ago where they ended the show with The End of the World by Skeeter Davis. I always liked that song, so the next day I went to ITunes to download it, and it was #1. That is when I realized how popular that show has been.

I have really enjoyed Don's walkabout the past couple of episodes, it seems he has changed alot since the first season. I am anxious to see how they end this. I honestly wouldn't be upset if the last we see of Don was him sitting on the bus bench.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

That was a great scene. I just caught Sunday's episode last night and it was one of the best that I can remember. One thing they had gotten away with was ending the show with some type of pop song, I am glad to see them getting back to that. I remember one episode seasons ago where they ended the show with The End of the World by Skeeter Davis. I always liked that song, so the next day I went to ITunes to download it, and it was #1. That is when I realized how popular that show has been.

I have really enjoyed Don's walkabout the past couple of episodes, it seems he has changed alot since the first season. I am anxious to see how they end this. I honestly wouldn't be upset if the last we see of Don was him sitting on the bus bench.

Full redemption would be Don returning home to take custody of his kids and raise them. Maybe he'll end up in real estate, taking advantage of his salesman ship during the white flight out of NYC.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

Flash-forwards seem to be the "in" thing to do. Wouldn't be surprised if the finale starts in like 1990 from Sally or Peggy's perspective and we only get a cameo of Don.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

Flash-forwards seem to be the "in" thing to do. Wouldn't be surprised if the finale starts in like 1990 from Sally or Peggy's perspective and we only get a cameo of Don.

That doesn't seem like Weiner's style.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

Full redemption would be Don returning home to take custody of his kids and raise them. Maybe he'll end up in real estate, taking advantage of his salesman ship during the white flight out of NYC.

I would be shocked at an ending that schmaltzy and I don't think Weiner would even consider that but who knows. Breaking Bad went 2 episodes too long. I feel like last week's episode should have been the finale.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

I would be shocked at an ending that schmaltzy and I don't think Weiner would even consider that but who knows. Breaking Bad went 2 episodes too long. I feel like last week's episode should have been the finale.

I think Weiner, for the most part, has the ability to turn "schmaltzy" material into a style that works. Take Betty's narration of her letter to Sally, last week. In less capable hands that type of story telling would come off as sappy, intentional heart-string tugging. With Weiner, though, he's constructed Betty's character over the years, so that we know she's cold towards her children and has never been able to say "I love you" or even offer a warm compliment to them in person. The only way to express it would be through a letter.

Plus, Don has been maintaining communication with Sally during his road trip. He warned the hotel grifter about not being able to return home, if he stole the money. It wouldn't be out of character for Don to want to be with his children.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

I think Weiner, for the most part, has the ability to turn "schmaltzy" material into a style that works. Take Betty's narration of her letter to Sally, last week. In less capable hands that type of story telling would come off as sappy, intentional heart-string tugging. With Weiner, though, he's constructed Betty's character over the years, so that we know she's cold towards her children and has never been able to say "I love you" or even offer a warm compliment to them in person. The only way to express it would be through a letter.

Plus, Don has been maintaining communication with Sally during his road trip. He warned the hotel grifter about not being able to return home, if he stole the money. It wouldn't be out of character for Don to want to be with his children.

I didn't find anything schmaltzy about Betty's letter and like you said, it was perfectly in line with her character.

Don achieving some kind of "redemption" by becoming the good ol' Dad isn't who he is. Shedding his identity and moving on is.

You could argue Don Draper (the construction) died when he walked out of the McCann boardroom. Since that moment he's been shedding the remains of that persona (the job, the car). That's why I love the idea of last week's episode being the finale. Everyone got a logical sendoff, and you'd leave Don on the bus stop stripped of his mask and ready to start anew somewhere else. My fear is that they'll do what Breaking Bad did and try to leave the audience feeling good about their main character. I don't need to see more from any of those characters.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

I didn't find anything schmaltzy about Betty's letter and like you said, it was perfectly in line with her character.

Don achieving some kind of "redemption" by becoming the good ol' Dad isn't who he is. Shedding his identity and moving on is.

You could argue Don Draper (the construction) died when he walked out of the McCann boardroom. Since that moment he's been shedding the remains of that persona (the job, the car). That's why I love the idea of last week's episode being the finale. Everyone got a logical sendoff, and you'd leave Don on the bus stop stripped of his mask and ready to start anew somewhere else. My fear is that they'll do what Breaking Bad did and try to leave the audience feeling good about their main character. I don't need to see more from any of those characters.

Weiner could have easily let last week's episode be the show's finale, and the audience would be happy and able to assume everyone's future. But I think Don's journey has put him in a place where leaving his kids behind wouldn't be acceptable to him. I think Weiner has more to say about Don's redemption, if this trip is to be viewed as one.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

Weiner could have easily let last week's episode be the show's finale, and the audience would be happy and able to assume everyone's future. But I think Don's journey has put him in a place where leaving his kids behind wouldn't be acceptable to him. I think Weiner has more to say about Don's redemption, if this trip is to be viewed as one.

If the finale ends up being about Don's redemption as a good father I can't think of it ending any worse, or any more dramatically limp.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

If the finale ends up being about Don's redemption as a good father I can't think of it ending any worse, or any more dramatically disinteresting.

Well, there could be more to it that just that. But having parents is something his life lacked as a child, so it would make sense. Sally is already older, but it looks like their relationship is closer. Why else would they show Don on the phone with her last week? If he was going full gonzo, then he wouldn't have bothered to check in. He also mentions to her that he was going to call over to the Francis' house to talk to Bobby and Eugene. He's still engaged with family life.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

Like I said, if the last we see of Don is him sitting at the bus stop, I would be happy. The character has been nothing but a mystery during the entire series, why not leave it as another mystery regarding the future?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

If the finale ends up being about Don's redemption as a good father I can't think of it ending any worse, or any more dramatically disinteresting.

Well, there could be more to it that just that. But having parents is something his life lacked as a child, so it would make sense. Sally is already older, but it looks like their relationship is closer. Why else would they show Don on the phone with her last week? If he was going full gonzo, then he wouldn't have bothered to check in. He also mentions to her that he was going to call over to the Francis' house to talk to Bobby and Eugene. He's still engaged with family life.

I think the finale will likely be more what you're describing than what I'm describing. Show writers fall in love with their characters, even their flawed ones. The opportunity to write a redemption story for them is enticing. I'm just saying for my tastes, leaving the audience feeling good about a character that hasn't earned it not only feels cheap but it's just completely uninteresting to me. But most people love the Breaking Bad finale so my guess is we'll get something similar. Hope they go another way.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

Maybe they can sort of mix the two. Don get's "redemption" in the form of another rebirth, into a totally new character who we see him act as throughout the finale. Let's say it's a flashforward a couple years to get to this point (I know it was said Weiner doesn't like FF but this could work without that too). The episode ends with Sally (now 17-18) finding her dad after a lengthy search. "Don" looks at her as if he's never seen her before in his life, gets in his car, and drives away. Sally collapses on the side of the road bursts into tears...the end.

That's basically a win/win...Don gets his new life and he's still the flawed douche we've all come to love.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: