SC cop claims he shot suspect out of fear for life; video reveals cop as murderer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: SC cop claims he shot suspect out of fear for life; video reveals cop as murderer

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html

-cop plays fear for life card, says suspect took his taser in scuffle
-cop walks over to dying/dead suspect and drops taser near suspect's body

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: SC cop claims he shot suspect out of fear for life; video reveals cop as murderer

C M B wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-officer-is-charged-with-murder-in-black-mans-death.html

But he feared for his life as the older, smaller, really slow dude ran away after being tased.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait to hear what tripe the officers defenders will come up with this time...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Was the cameraman invisible?
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Can't wait to hear what tripe the officers defenders will come up with this time...

Can't imagine anyone defending this. Dude has been charged with murder. Of course, if someone with a cell phone had not been there, absolutely no chance for any charges.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Was the cameraman invisible?

If you're a cop and you know for fact that the overwhelming majority of cops who shoot black men, even when there are eye witness's and video evidence, still get away with their killings - why would it even matter if you saw someone filming? Even with video evidence, these cops still get away with it 9 times out of 10. For them, video evidence is usually no more than a nuisance.. It certainly hasn't changed their behaviour much.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Hard to watch. Can't wait to see how this unfolds.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Can't imagine anyone defending this.

Oh you know they will. It'll probably be the ole tried and true -"What happened before the video started" routine where they say the victim threatened to kill the officer, his family, and drop a homemade nuclear device on the officers neighborhood - a story which mind boggingly get's believed by a wayward jury that aquits him.

Followed up by the predictable day before the verdict warning "There are gonna be riots", and when the riots don't happen comes the followup failed justice dept investigation. Then when folks do finally act out, we'll get the ole "There they go rioting again" where the irony of just how casually the news of protesting officers getting away with another shooting isn't something that actually worth protesting about. The fact that it's all so predictable as a result of happening so many times that folks are just numb to the whole played out scenario repeating itself again is truly the sad part.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Poor bastard cop was probably an SAE.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Can't imagine anyone defending this.

Oh you know they will. It'll probably be the ole tried and true -"What happened before the video started" routine where they say the victim threatened to kill the officer, his family, and drop a homemade nuclear device on the officers neighborhood - a story which mind boggingly get's believed by a wayward jury that aquits him.

Followed up by the predictable day before the verdict warning "There are gonna be riots", and when the riots don't happen comes the followup failed justice dept investigation. Then when folks do finally act out, we'll get the ole "There they go rioting again" where the irony of just how casually the news of protesting officers getting away with another shooting isn't something that actually worth protesting about. The fact that it's all so predictable as a result of happening so many times that folks are just numb to the whole played out scenario repeating itself again is truly the sad part.

Sadly, you're probably right in every respect.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Poor bastard cop was probably an SAE.

leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Wow, sickening. God bless the cameraman. Without him, the cop would have gotten away with it.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject:

You can see after the guy is shot, the cameraman is shaking.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject:

#dontrushtojudgement
#wetakeallegationsofpolicemisconductveryveryseriously
#wefoundnoevidenceofwrongdoing
#hewasreachingintohiswaistband
#theshootingwasjustified
#caseclosed

I've seen this movie a thousand times ...

RIP Demetrius DuBose, Steve Foley's career, et al.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject:

So, the link didn't work for me immediately initially and I went to YT to see what had happened. I didn't see the murderer go back to retrieve the taser and drop it next to the body.

The second officer on the scene saw this. The official police report says CPR was performed, not that it would have helped in this case, but obviously that was a lie on the official documentation.

Wow, Shooter is going to jail for a long time. Others on the scene will be fired.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

I'd recommend the Death Penalty.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
#dontrushtojudgement
#wetakeallegationsofpolicemisconductveryveryseriously
#wefoundnoevidenceofwrongdoing
#hewasreachingintohiswaistband
#theshootingwasjustified
#caseclosed

#livetodunkanotherdonut
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Without video what would the story be?

The story would be "whatever those with the power (bleep) say it is" and you and me just deal with it..

"A few bad Apple's"
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

Sincere questions

Say you are the only other officer on the scene.
No video taken
Killer cop kills dude and writes it up blaming the black dude.
You know what really happened
What do you do..
Remember we all know what happens to cops who snitch.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

Sincere questions

Say you are the only other officer on the scene.
No video taken
Killer cop kills dude and writes it up blaming the black dude.
You know what really happened
What do you do..
Remember we all know what happens to cops who snitch.

I'd arrest him myself.

I will say this about this situation, If in fact the guy running had commited a violent felony during the events leading up to the video or if the Ofc had a reason to believe be possed a threat to others then he may come out this a rich man after suing the department and city.

See ; Tennessee v. Garner

Dont look good for the officer here the fact that they already booked him is telling. I read somewhere that this departemnt has 80% white officers in a area that is mostly black. I worked in LE in SC for a few years and I left that state due to the culture amongest law enforcement there.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject:

Found this one on YT. Deandre Brunston, Compton 2003. Although the object he was hiding was a flip-flop sandal instead of a gun, there was a "face value" verbal threat of gunfire towards the sheriffs involved and also a professed willingness to die rather than going back to prison, but this is still one of the more visceral examples of the "unloading principle" at work. The K9 that ran up on Brunston was killed as well. They shot until there was no movement. He was shot 22x, with a visible hit to the sternum area (heart, aorta, etc) probably being fatal by itself. The recent rash of police shooting videos from across the country seem to demonstrate hail of bullet shootings as a norm. Worse than a mere psychological norm (panicked reaction to threat of being shot back at), it appears that shoot to drop and/or kill is a standard tactical procedure/norm with a low threshold for the veracity of the "feared for my life" claims that follow. Matter of fact, I recall one of CNN's police experts brushing off a suggestion that Michael Brown could've been shot in the leg. He more or less admitted that it's procedural to go for a shot that stops an attack, meaning vital organs, upper body. Maybe an officer/poster can confirm or deny that.

wiki article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deandre_Brunston

(Head's up = this one would not be shown on the news, more graphic than most)

Closer angle without context:

Further angle with argument preceding shooting:

Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Found this one on YT. Deandre Brunston, Compton 2003. Although the object he was hiding was a flip-flop sandal instead of a gun, there was a "face value" verbal threat of gunfire towards the sheriffs involved (and a professed willingness to die rather than going back to prison), but this is still one of the more visceral examples of the "unloading principle" at work. The K9 that ran up on Brunston was killed as well. They shot until there was no movement. He was shot 22x, with a visible hit to the sternum probably being a fatal shot even without the other 21. The recent rash of police shooting (of black men, predom) videos from across the country seem to demonstrate hail of bullet shootings as a norm. Worse than a mere psychological norm (panicked reaction to threat of being shot back at), it appears that shoot to drop and/or kill is a standard tactical procedure/norm with a low threshold for the "feared for my life" claim. Matter of fact, I recall one of CNN's police experts brushing off a suggestion that Michael Brown could've been shot in the leg. He more or less admitted that it's procedural to go for a shot that stops an attack, meaning vital organs, upper body. Maybe an officer/poster can confirm or deny that.

wiki article:

Not just that but even as regular joe public you always go center mass(hints when you are shooting at a local gun range) The stuff you see in the movies is simply that... "hollywood fiction".

Fact: Although we have to qualify every year (or more depending on the state and department) some of us are great shots, however your accuracy drops 50% during a real life stressful situation. That’s why you aim center mass. If i attempted to go Hollywood cop and shoot legs and fingers.. I’d prob shoot the guy in the bushes trying to record it: lol:
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject:

You might think that acquittals in a case like the one below would open the eyes of those living in denial about this insidious, homicidal "us vs. them" culture that has emerged in law enforcement, but you would be sorely mistaken. Every last poll shows that the vast majority of Americans continue to STRONGLY support those in the public safety field, regardless of their actions. It's truly vexing ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Amadou_Diallo
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Found this one on YT. Deandre Brunston, Compton 2003. Although the object he was hiding was a flip-flop sandal instead of a gun, there was a "face value" verbal threat of gunfire towards the sheriffs involved (and a professed willingness to die rather than going back to prison), but this is still one of the more visceral examples of the "unloading principle" at work. The K9 that ran up on Brunston was killed as well. They shot until there was no movement. He was shot 22x, with a visible hit to the sternum probably being a fatal shot even without the other 21. The recent rash of police shooting (of black men, predom) videos from across the country seem to demonstrate hail of bullet shootings as a norm. Worse than a mere psychological norm (panicked reaction to threat of being shot back at), it appears that shoot to drop and/or kill is a standard tactical procedure/norm with a low threshold for the "feared for my life" claim. Matter of fact, I recall one of CNN's police experts brushing off a suggestion that Michael Brown could've been shot in the leg. He more or less admitted that it's procedural to go for a shot that stops an attack, meaning vital organs, upper body. Maybe an officer/poster can confirm or deny that.

wiki article:

Not just that but even as regular joe public you always go center mass(hints when you are shooting at a local gun range) The stuff you see in the movies is simply that... "hollywood fiction".

Fact: Although we have to qualify every year (or more depending on the state and department) some of us are great shots, however your accuracy drops 50% during a real life stressful situation. That’s why you aim center mass. If i attempted to go Hollywood cop and shoot legs and fingers.. I’d prob shoot the guy in the bushes trying to record it: lol:

What's the actual data on officer-involved shootings, though ...

Without looking at a single data point, I'm guessing that 99+% of LEO are never fired on by civilians, while 95+% never discharge their service weapon outside of a training range or simulation setting ...

Below is an incomplete list of the killings for last month ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_killings_by_law_enforcement_officers_in_the_United_States,_March_2015
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject:

Has it happened where a officer shot a limb instead of hiting vital areas.. of course all the time, however his actually intentions were what we train for center mass. Michael Brown had multiple hits to other areas and 100% was officer shooting a moble target in high stress situation.

Earlier this week in my area an officer responed to a robbery in progress and was fired upon, HOWEVER HE DIDNT RETURN FIRE the supect is on the lose armed and prob will rob sombody else or worse. Just goes to show WE dont shoot everybody we encounter.

Nothing is wrong with the tactics we use today in this field regarding use of force. To be critical though the one area the feds need to look at these hiring practices within certain states. Notice the shootings rather justified or not occur in areas with high minority populations with a police force made up of mostly white men. Not saying that any officer who’s white is racist, but it creates a polarizing relationship amongst the community. Your department should reflect the demogragics of the area. You can’t have a 90% black area and the police is 80% white lol. My current department is very diverse the demo matches the area.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: