SC cop claims he shot suspect out of fear for life; video reveals cop as murderer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A former police officer in North Charleston, S.C., was indicted Monday by a grand jury on a murder charge in connection with the April shooting death of Walter L. Scott, which was recorded by a passer-by and became a resonating symbol in the national debate about police behavior.

The former officer, Michael T. Slager, had been jailed on a murder charge since April 7, when the video became public. Mr. Slager’s lawyers have so far made no request for bail, and his indictment in Charleston County had been widely expected.

Police records obtained by The New York Times show that Mr. Slager was involved in 19 use-of-force episodes during his tenure as a police officer, including the shooting death of Mr. Scott and the encounter with Mr. Givens.

Of those 19 episodes, the records show, at least 14 involved Mr. Slager using his Taser in some manner. Mr. Scott’s shooting was the only time that Mr. Slager fired his handgun while on patrol.

Indictment
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:

If I was a police officer I would be happy people are choosing to stop and videotape crimes ;)
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A judge denied bail Monday for a white former South Carolina police officer charged with murder in the shooting death of a black motorist, saying his release would "constitute an unreasonable danger to the community."

In a brief order, Circuit Judge Clifton Newman denied bond for Michael Slager.

"After careful consideration of all the evidence presented and the nature and the circumstances of the offense, the court finds that the release of (the) defendant would constitute an unreasonable danger to the community and the request for release on bond should be denied," it says.

The former North Charleston officer has been held in solitary confinement since his arrest on murder charges in the April 4 shooting death of Walter Scott.

Bond Denied
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Michael Slager's defense called witnesses Monday to make a case that the white former South Carolina patrolman was stunned by his own Taser in a struggle before he shot a fleeing black motorist in the back.

Slager faces 30 years to life if convicted of murder in the April 2015 death of Walter Scott. The 50-year-old motorist was hit with five of the officer's eight bullets as he tried to escape from a traffic stop.

Mark Kroll, an expert on the effects of electrical shocks, testified that melted fibers on Slager's uniform could only have been caused by being stunned with a Taser at close range.

"There's really no alternative source for the damage," Koll testified. He later fired a Taser in the courtroom so the jury could hear the distinctive electronic sound the weapon makes and identify it in the cellphone video. The jury of eleven whites and one black has reviewed the video repeatedly, including several times frame by frame.

The defense contends that the two men struggled over Slager's stun gun and that Scott got control of it for a time before trying to get away.

Defense to Contend Officer Was Tased With His Own Taser Before He Chased, Shot Victim in the Back, and Planted Evidence
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The judge in the murder trial of former North Charleston, S.C., police Officer Michael Slager declared a mistrial on Monday after the jury said it could not come to a unanimous decision.

"We as the jury regret to inform the court that, despite the best efforts of all members, we are unable to come to an unanimous decision in the case of the State vs. Michael Slager," a letter from the foreperson of the jury read.

Slager is accused of murder for shooting Walter Scott multiple times as he ran away from the officer in 2015, after a routine traffic stop. The jurors had three options if they hoped to avoid a mistrial: a guilty verdict for either murder or voluntary manslaughter, or an acquittal.

In all, the jury deliberated for about 22 hours over four days, and the content of their deliberations was uncommonly public. On Friday, during its third day of deliberation, the jury began sending a series of notes to Judge Newman, containing questions about the case and statements about the opinions of individual jurors.

As The Two-Way reported, on Friday one of the 12 jurors could not agree with the other 11 on a guilty verdict:

11 Jurors Agree,and 1 Juror Sets Cop Free
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Apparently they are going to retry it.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
Okay. Guy is fired. That's a given. We can rejoice when he gets some jail time.

True. It is South Carolina and it only takes one for a hung jury.

KBCB with the game winner from beyond the grave?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
Okay. Guy is fired. That's a given. We can rejoice when he gets some jail time.

True. It is South Carolina and it only takes one for a hung jury.

KBCB with the game winner from beyond the grave?

Black Juror In Walter Scott Case Opens Up About Mistrial

LINK

Irony, the one Black juror on the panel elected jury foreman.

Quote:
The jury foreman and only black person on the jury in the trial of Michael Slager, the former cop who fatally shot Walter Scott in North Charleston, South Carolina in 2015, is speaking out about how the case resulted in a mistrial on Monday

I miss my brother. I don't think he wants to come back.

Walter Scott Shooting: Prosecutors Confident of Slager Conviction on Retrial

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Facing uphill battles to find jurors willing to convict police officers, prosecutors in two states say they will try again to win guilty verdicts against white officers in the fatal shootings of black men.

A judge in the case against former University of Cincinnati police officer Ray Tensing set a Monday hearing on a timetable for a retrial. Jurors couldn’t reach a verdict on murder and voluntary manslaughter charges against him in the death of Sam DuBose, and a mistrial was declared Nov. 12.

A South Carolina jury deadlocked Dec. 5 on the same charges against Michael Slager, a former North Charleston officer. The prosecutor also pledged to try Slager again for the death of Walter Scott.

In both trials, the former officers testified in their own defenses and said they feared for their lives. Tensing, 27, said he believed he could be killed by DuBose’s car, as the 43-year-old man tried to drive away after he was stopped by Tensing in July 2015 for a missing front license plate. Slager, 35, said the 50-year-old Scott wrestled his stun gun away and pointed it at him after he stopped Scott for a broken tail light in April 2015.

Prosecutors said evidence including Tensing’s bodycam video contradicted his story. A bystander’s cellphone video showed Slager shooting Scott five times in the back.

78 officers have been charged with murder or manslaughter in on-duty shootings since the beginning of 2005. Those cases resulted in 27 convictions on at least one charge, 14 in jury trials. Thirty ended without convictions, including 15 jury acquittals. Twenty-one, including Tensing and Slager, are pending trials or potential retrials.

Retrial Roadblocks
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The state retrial of a South Carolina police officer charged with murder for killing a black driver running from a traffic stop has been scheduled to begin March 1.

Multiple media outlets report that a judge released the order setting the date Thursday.

A jury couldn’t reach a verdict in Michael Slager’s murder trial in state court earlier this month.

Slager, who is white, is also charged in federal court with violating Walter Scott’s civil rights. That trial is set to start May 1.

Criminal Retrial Set for March 1st - Civil Trial Set for May 1st
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: