Why Couldn't Jimmer Fredette become what Steph Curry Became?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject:

Could D'angelo Russell become what Curry has become?
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject:

Steph is the best shooter in NBA history. He has probably the quickest release I've seen and is still deadly with his accuracy. Dell Curry as your dad doesn't hurt.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject:

Everything about Curry's game is built upon his pull up jump shot, he'd be a very average player without it.

His handles are above average, but without that freakish shot, they're not good enough to create good shots consistently, he doesn't have the ball on a string, vary the height like some of the real special ball handlers (something kawhi exploited to hell and back), but then jimmer's handles are tiers behind. Curry is also despite his slender frame, tallish for a one guard, whereas Jimmer is short and not really a pg anyway (which makes him a midget 2 guard).

Main problem with being short and not really having offense running skills is there are only 2 guys (not in perpetual inactive states) in the whole nba over 6'3 who can run an offense, so if you're short and you can't, your job opportunities are low and the job requirements will include defense which he also doesn't have
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject:

Why couldn't Danny Ferry be the next bird?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject:

Klay Thompson drops 42 in 30 minutes, 8 for 10 threes. This is indeed a very special, unique, never seen before back-court in the NBA.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
i feel if you gave ferdette curry type touches and a curry type green light he would get you curry type scoring.

Particularly if it came with Curry's handling, speed, quickness, release, and court vision

Jimmer has really nice handles and a nice first step, he showed all of it in college, not to mention he is a pull up off the dribble shooter just like curry, he is not a catch and shoot guy.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
i feel if you gave ferdette curry type touches and a curry type green light he would get you curry type scoring.

Particularly if it came with Curry's handling, speed, quickness, release, and court vision

Jimmer has really nice handles and a nice first step, he showed all of it in college, not to mention he is a pull up off the dribble shooter just like curry, he is not a catch and shoot guy.

Disagree.

I think he's happiest as a catch-and-shoot guy as well as a pull up off the dribble.

Attacking the rim? Not his best skill.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject:

Jimmer is reprising the role Steve Alford played 25+ years ago, while Curry is basking in the sunshine of the Reggie Miller role ...

I think it's karma accrued during his time at BYU, but not sure ...
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

You're right. That's why we haven't seen any of it in the NBA. He is actually one of the most skilled players in the league - he just doesn't want to show off and hurt the other players feelings.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Everything about Curry's game is built upon his pull up jump shot, he'd be a very average player without it.

His handles are above average, but without that freakish shot, they're not good enough to create good shots consistently, he doesn't have the ball on a string, vary the height like some of the real special ball handlers (something kawhi exploited to hell and back), but then jimmer's handles are tiers behind. Curry is also despite his slender frame, tallish for a one guard, whereas Jimmer is short and not really a pg anyway (which makes him a midget 2 guard).

Main problem with being short and not really having offense running skills is there are only 2 guys (not in perpetual inactive states) in the whole nba over 6'3 who can run an offense, so if you're short and you can't, your job opportunities are low and the job requirements will include defense which he also doesn't have

I'm sure your opinion has nothing to do with the MVP race.

And Curry's handles are "above average" in the same way that Salma Hayek circa 1995 was somewhat attractive.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Why didn't Adam Morrison become what Larry Bird became?

Couldn't pass. Not as strong.

Not as athletic either?

Adam Morrison couldn't whip the towel like larry did, larry was just a lot more sensual.
hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Inverse wrote:
I felt like they had pretty similar college careers. Both big time gunners on a small conference team. What happened to Jimmer? From the outside their college game seemed pretty similar to me.

Fredette didn't have Curry's quickness and never developed his ball-handling to the advanced level Curry has.

Hand-eye coordination runs in that family and it took over 5 years to get Curry to this point. He didn't even learn how to play PG at the NCAA level until his last season. He played SG the rest of the time.

Oh, and Stephen has the quicker release.

That's how important ball-handling is.

I'm surprised that no one mentioned Footwork as the reason.
Ball handling is fine and dandy but without the footwork you can't make use of the ball handling.

It's the reason why Clyde dribbling with his right hand his entire career didn’t have to have pretty dribbling ability but still got to the basket. Don’t say it’s because he was athletic. There's a guy named Wes on our team that’s super athletic and can barely get to the rim off the bounce. Why is that? Who had better handles Drex or Wes? I say neither..Lol. But Drex got to the basket due to his superior footwork.

Curry's Footwork was shown when he was in college. I knew then he was going to be a star in the nba. I also knew to have that kind of footwork at that young age...His dad must have had him playing with/against NBA players(ex nba guys, and perhaps current nba guys.)

IF you ever want to find out why some guy at the local playground courts with crazy handles can’t make the NBA. It’s his lack of footwork. Shaking guys side to side is one thing. Shaking a guy to create space (nick young) is another thing. But when you can shake a guy and go towards the basket, it can't be guarded. Most will say but curry shoots a lot of jumpers. Yes he does. Why is he so open? Because, the defender is afraid to crowd him for fear he will beat them off the dribble and make his team's defense collapse in the paint for wide open shooters or score himself.

Last but not least. It's not just his ability to do all sorts of insane ball handling tricks. It's his IQ to know when to do which move depending on how he's guarded. Not many guys at any level can do this that well. CP3 is one of the great ones at this. You can see these type of guards just completely dismantling their defender. Defender does this, they do that. They always know the perfect counter ball handling technique for the situation. It's amazing to watch to be honest.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject:

Because unlike Steph Curry, Jimmer's dad didn't have the sweetest jump shot in all of basketball...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject:

hoopla wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Inverse wrote:
I felt like they had pretty similar college careers. Both big time gunners on a small conference team. What happened to Jimmer? From the outside their college game seemed pretty similar to me.

Fredette didn't have Curry's quickness and never developed his ball-handling to the advanced level Curry has.

Hand-eye coordination runs in that family and it took over 5 years to get Curry to this point. He didn't even learn how to play PG at the NCAA level until his last season. He played SG the rest of the time.

Ball handling is fine and dandy but without the footwork you can't make use of the ball handling.

It's the reason why Clyde dribbling with his right hand his entire career didn’t have to have pretty dribbling ability but still got to the basket. Don’t say it’s because he was athletic. There's a guy named Wes on our team that’s super athletic and can barely get to the rim off the bounce. Why is that? Who had better handles Drex or Wes? I say neither..Lol. But Drex got to the basket due to his superior footwork.

Curry's Footwork was shown when he was in college. I knew then he was going to be a star in the nba. I also knew to have that kind of footwork at that young age...His dad must have had him playing with/against NBA players(ex nba guys, and perhaps current nba guys.)

IF you ever want to find out why some guy at the local playground courts with crazy handles can’t make the NBA. It’s his lack of footwork. Shaking guys side to side is one thing. Shaking a guy to create space (nick young) is another thing. But when you can shake a guy and go towards the basket, it can't be guarded. Most will say but curry shoots a lot of jumpers. Yes he does. Why is he so open? Because, the defender is afraid to crowd him for fear he will beat them off the dribble and make his team's defense collapse in the paint for wide open shooters or score himself.

Last but not least. It's not just his ability to do all sorts of insane ball handling tricks. It's his IQ to know when to do which move depending on how he's guarded. Not many guys at any level can do this that well. CP3 is one of the great ones at this. You can see these type of guards just completely dismantling their defender. Defender does this, they do that. They always know the perfect counter ball handling technique for the situation. It's amazing to watch to be honest.

I don't think "footwork" is the right way to describe what you're trying to say. Great ball handling skills and superior ambidexterity is what Curry has. When you can go left or right easily, combined with the fact that they always have to respect or bite on your jumper, then the world opens up for you. Footwork can be clearly defined down in the blocks. How a player efficiently maximizes his pivot foot. That's generally what people talk about when discussing footwork. And the master of this is of course Hakeem the Dream. Perimeter players do not do pivot work from the 3 point line other than when they initially catch the ball and the dribble hasn't been used. They just let the ball bounce and start dancing. I don't know if you can defined it as footwork when you can shake a guy as well as go towards the hoop. I would just call it superior shaking. LOL! Getting to the hoop is all about having that first step on your man, and Clyde had one of the more explosive first steps. Clyde was a better shooter than Wes, and so people constantly were on their feet to challenge, that allows him to put it on the floor and go. If you are to define the ability to get to the rim as having good footwork, then I would argue the opposite for Clyde, that he did not have good footwork since he predominantly when to one side of the court. Superior footwork by your own definition would eliminate Clyde I would think. That's just not footwork, that's explosion. And c'mon, don't compare Wes to Clyde. Drexler can go left if he needed to, just not as good as MJ or Kobe, and that's why he ranks below them.

But I agree with the latter part of you post, which I bolded. Hand, eye coordination, feet, brain, IQ, hip movement.. Heck, it's not footwork. It's the whole mind and body working.

Here's a little reminder why you don't mention Wes and Clyde in the same sentence.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:

i also notice although Curry is an excellent shooter, he's not a very good spot up shooter. almost all of his threes are coming from screens where he kind of floats while shooting them and he's very good at that. once he has his feet set, he doesn't shoot with the same accuracy for whatever reason. this explains why he was very average during 3 point contest of all star weekend.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

Disagree.

I think he's happiest as a catch-and-shoot guy as well as a pull up off the dribble.

attacking the rim isn't Steph's best skill either.
hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
hoopla wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Inverse wrote:

I don't think "footwork" is the right way to describe what you're trying to say. Great ball handling skills and superior ambidexterity is what Curry has. When you can go left or right easily, combined with the fact that they always have to respect or bite on your jumper, then the world opens up for you. Footwork can be clearly defined down in the blocks. How a player efficiently maximizes his pivot foot. That's generally what people talk about when discussing footwork. And the master of this is of course Hakeem the Dream. Perimeter players do not do pivot work from the 3 point line other than when they initially catch the ball and the dribble hasn't been used. They just let the ball bounce and start dancing. I don't know if you can defined it as footwork when you can shake a guy as well as go towards the hoop. I would just call it superior shaking. LOL! Getting to the hoop is all about having that first step on your man, and Clyde had one of the more explosive first steps. Clyde was a better shooter than Wes, and so people constantly were on their feet to challenge, that allows him to put it on the floor and go. If you are to define the ability to get to the rim as having good footwork, then I would argue the opposite for Clyde, that he did not have good footwork since he predominantly when to one side of the court. Superior footwork by your own definition would eliminate Clyde I would think. That's just not footwork, that's explosion. And c'mon, don't compare Wes to Clyde. Drexler can go left if he needed to, just not as good as MJ or Kobe, and that's why he ranks below them.

But I agree with the latter part of you post, which I bolded. Hand, eye coordination, feet, brain, IQ, hip movement.. Heck, it's not footwork. It's the whole mind and body working.

Here's a little reminder why you don't mention Wes and Clyde in the same sentence.
i know the difference in footwork in the post and footwork when you handle the ball.

we're talking about a ball handler that has impeccable footwork. have you ever seen ginobili in his prime? Footwork. Not just ball handling. You need to know where to plant your feet at different points in your dribble to maximize your dribbling ability. This is why most guys can dribble side to side but can't go to the hole with the same fancy moves. In addition for great ball handlers that also are great shooters. they need great footwork to get their shots off.

examples:

this is a nice breakdown on why steph is so good

http://www.viralhoops.com/stephen-curry-motivational-video/
^^notice it says footwork..

http://www.quora.com/With-players-like-Steph-Curry-accentuating-the-importance-of-a-quick-jump-shot-are-shooting-motions-becoming-faster

^^another reason why he can get his shot off so quickly off the bounce.

https://vine.co/v/eBeanr2KtTt

^^watch that separation...footwork does this. if he doesnt know to plant that front foot that far out, he would not get that much space on the guy. some guys naturally take choppy steps. if he did this. it wouldnt work as well for steph.

and finally THIS LINK. explains everything about footwork for everyone in basketball(all positions). very good read

http://www.usab.com/youth/news/2011/06/10-fundamentals-for-proper-footwork.aspx

Its steph's footwork and handles together with his smarts that makes him virtually unstoppable.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:

Disagree.

attacking the rim isn't Steph's best skill either.

Until he learned how to set it up after his jumpshot.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Another way of reading the title of this post is:

'Why couldn't Jimmer Fredette become the likely MVP?'

The answers kind of flow naturally from there.

And tonight really solidified to me why he is MVP bar none. The way he carried GS down 20 to OT and winning is Kobesque.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Steph Curry is absolutely sensational, what a fantastic player that guy is.

He is MVP this season, I had been leaning towards Westbrook, but Curry has his team at the top of the league and is
the greatest shooter period in NBA history.

FIXED
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: