Who will be the better player: Clarkson or Randle?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will be the better player?
Clarkson
27%
 27%  [ 24 ]
Randle
72%
 72%  [ 62 ]
Total Votes : 86

Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject:

They're both cornerstones moving forward so I don't even want to compare them. Makes me feel a little dirty.

I will say if each one reaches their full potential, then I don't see anyone in the league being able to keep up with Randle's combination of size and foot speed. He'll be getting guys in foul trouble.

I'd be fine if both guys stayed where they are offensively and improved dramatically on defense. THAT would have me more excited than anything. I want this team to be nasty on defense. I want physicality. I want teams to be afraid to face us.

Last edited by Ziggy on Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
scoobs wrote:
I could see Randle maxing out at 25ppg, 11rpg and 6apg.

I would love to see Clarkson being a 20ppg, 6rpg, 7apg type.

They could be a poor man's version of LBJ/Wade, just add a Bosh type and s bunch of great shooters.

lol the next two hall of famers

SeanRooks
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
I'd go with Randle for maximum potential, but Clarkson has been a great surprise for me these past few weeks ... and regarding the statistical prognostications above:

If Randle hits 18 - 20 PPG, 8 - 10 rebounds, and 3 - 4 assists with solid defense during the core of his career (which I'm not convinced he can), he will have turned out to be a HUGE success story. (25 - 11 - 6 is HOF production, though it was mentioned as a high water mark / "maximum" of sorts) ...

If Clarkson is similarly able to pull 14 - 15 PPG, 4 - 5 rebounds, 6 - 7 assists, and 1 - 2 steals with solid overall defense (he's pulling better numbers now, but that these will very likely decline when he is forced to share the ball much more in the next few seasons with better talent around him), the 2014 NBA draft will have been an unquestionable homerun for Mitch and the FO. (20 - 6 - 7 would make Clarkson one of the greatest late draft finds ever) ...

I know those numbers you mentioned are a stretch but if some thinks these two are going to be sure fire all stars is a nod to the homerism and this shows out of touch with reality some folks on here are with expectations of your guns- I do not mean that as disrespect thing. I am Clarkson fan and think Randle could be a nice piece but like the above quote, lots of work for these 2 two to turn into all-stars.

But lets be honest and look at the facts:

Clarkson is solid. His numbers are inflated as he is given every chance to shine on a horrible team that does not get the oppositions best efforts every night. That being said, to go out and do what he has done night in and night out is impressive and any praise from DOC and CP3 is huge. BUT I think we would be lucky if he develops in a 16, 5 and 5 player on a playoff team. He has a SHOT at it but he is not the savior of the franchise that some on here thing- he has a shot at it. He has a way to go to be on a Monta level.

And Randle looked decent before breaking his leg but is an undersized wrecking ball with a sweet touch. We can't assume he is this sure fire 18 and 9 guy. Again, if he is an all-star that would be a blessing and he has the work ethic and skill set. He can be an all star with his tools but would like to see the guy play 82 games and see how defenses take advantage of his height and recklessness when he puts the ball on the floor with his head down, a top flight rim protector is going to fly over and a teams will force him right into double teams if he drops step to the center just like how we got frustrated with Dwight. I think Randel has the drive to be great and be solid going both ways but his tweener body could be an issue.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

What's the difference between Randle and Brandon Bass?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Randle has the handles of a guard at the 4. Bass does not. Randle can use his speed and athleticism to beat his man off the dribble. Bass can not. Randle can body his man in the post with his strength, Bass can not. Randle can take the ball coast to coast multiple times a game, Bass can not.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
The only thing similar is they play the same position.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

Randle is a more athletic and well rounded version of Zach Randolph who is one of the best power forwards in the league.

He's got a little bit of Lamar Odom in him. He has good handles for a 4 man, can post, decent passer, and he's more physical than LO was.

Just needs to improve his jumpshot and be a more consistent defender.

I see him as a border line superstar. Always in the convo for top overall big in the game similar to how Pau was here in his prime.

I see Clarkson as a guy who can be an All Star, but I don't ever see him being in the conversation for best point guard.

He's really good at every aspect except defense, but I don't think he's spectacular at any one thing.

Nothing wrong with that. He's gonna be a very good player for a long time, but I don't think he'll be as good as Randle.
Das
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject:

Randle but I'm very surprise how well Clarkson has been playing. Glad to have them both.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
Randle is a more athletic and well rounded version of Zach Randolph who is one of the best power forwards in the league.

He's got a little bit of Lamar Odom in him. He has good handles for a 4 man, can post, decent passer, and he's more physical than LO was.

I see him as a border line superstar. Always in the convo for top overall big in the game similar to how Pau was here in his prime.

I see Clarkson as a guy who can be an All Star, but I don't ever see him being in the conversation for best point guard.

He's really good at every aspect except defense, but I don't think he's spectacular at any one thing.

Nothing wrong with that. He's gonna be a very good player for a long time, but I don't think he'll be as good as Randle.

You think Randle will be better than Odom?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

You think Randle plays like Brandon Bass...
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

His floor is a more aggressive Odom imo.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject:

Seems weird to discuss this now when we've really only watched one of them play in the NBA. I have no idea at this point. I don't see a star in either, but hopefully Randle will join Clarkson in being a solid contributor to our rebuild efforts.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject:

It remains to be seen what Randle will become. I think his development is far more important than Clarksons. If Julius is a bust or just can't stay healthy, it'll be a pain.

!...
SeanRooks
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:

HOW?! I am hopeful but this is nuts to think. Right now, he is about at a Brandon Bass level. He has proven zero besides a few good Exhibition games.
Weapon 6
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject:

ronnyjeremy wrote:
Clarkson. I think Randle is too injury prone and will have a career like Greg Oden.

You need to calm down with all those bad vibes.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject:

SeanRooks wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

HOW?! I am hopeful but this is nuts to think. Right now, he is about at a Brandon Bass level. He has proven zero besides a few good Exhibition games.

People say that because of his skill set. What he can do at his size is rare in the league. Of course he still has to put it together but I love his potential.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject:

I just hope that they can be like Shaq and Kobe in terms of skill level. If we get Towns, Okafor, Embiid (In a trade) or Marc Gasol next year, I believe we can immediately contend. Still want Dragic to start at point however.

So preferred starting lineup is:

Dragic
Clarkson
Bryant
Randle
Towns/Okafor/Embiid

Bench:
Farmar/Another Point (Have many other ball handlers already)
Young/Maybe (Ellington)
Defensive Swing-man (Anybody but Wes)
Davis/ Black
Kufos

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

If he makes it back from his leg injury absolutely.

That's no knock on Lamar. He was a terrific player, but he could've been a great player with his skill set. Lacked the aggressive mindset to be one.

Randle has that mindset. It's just about him getting back from the injury and back on the court.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:

SeanRooks wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

It's nuts to view him as a Brandon Bass type player. Again as I mentioned the kid has a supreme skill set for a power forward. He can post, he has the strength to bang with the big boys down low, he can also use his quickness off the dribble against them, and a force on the boards. Terrific ball handling skills for a big.

Are there things he needs to improve? Sure his defense and his jumpshot, but every 20 year old has something to work on.

He suffered a horrific, freak injury, but there's no reason to believe he's not gonna be a star in this league if he can make it back. If it wasn't for that he'd be right in contention for the rookie of the year award with the likes of Wiggins and his teammate Clarkson.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
I could see Randle maxing out at 25ppg, 11rpg and 6apg.

I would love to see Clarkson being a 20ppg, 6rpg, 7apg type.

They could be a poor man's version of LBJ/Wade, just add a Bosh type and s bunch of great shooters.

Randle's numbers would be best player in the world numbers and Clarkson's would be a top-3 PG. I'd love for these things to happen, but you're saying these numbers like they're nothing.
SeanRooks
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
SeanRooks wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

It's nuts to view him as a Brandon Bass type player. Again as I mentioned the kid has a supreme skill set for a power forward. He can post, he has the strength to bang with the big boys down low, he can also use his quickness off the dribble against them, and a force on the boards. Terrific ball handling skills for a big.

Are there things he needs to improve? Sure his defense and his jumpshot, but every 20 year old has something to work on.

He suffered a horrific, freak injury, but there's no reason to believe he's not gonna be a star in this league if he can make it back. If it wasn't for that he'd be right in contention for the rookie of the year award with the likes of Wiggins and his teammate Clarkson.

I do not disagree with his potential but we have zero sample size. There is nothing. Lets forget summer league and exhibtion. Even Kwame Brown looked like the second coming.So, if Kwame was a rookie we would be saying all the same things about him as to Randle: Size, speed etc. What I am trying to communicate, YES It is all there but we can't assume just because he has skill this will workout no questions asked.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

I think Randle has more unique abilities. He's also 3 years younger. Both need to stay healthy, so far Clarkson looks good. Randle, let's just hope that this is something that happened, but he'll stay mostly healthy in seasons to come.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

He's not as talented as Odom, but I think he wants to be great more than Odom did.
persons
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject:

Randle... Clarkson is taking 16-19 shots a game , with a proper system hes going down to earth.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: