Who is the best SF Kobe ever played with?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is the best SF Kobe ever played with?
Rick Fox
22%
 22%  [ 32 ]
Glen Rice
17%
 17%  [ 24 ]
Devean George
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Trevor Ariza
20%
 20%  [ 29 ]
Ron Artest
36%
 36%  [ 51 ]
Other
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 141

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Artest sucked, even in 2010. I don't know why everyone likes him so much. No shooting ability and slow defensively. He was living off of his past reputation at that point.

We don't like him we love him because without Ron we don't win the 2010 title.

Forget the regular season just thank back to the playoffs.

He held Kevin Durant to a miserable shooting series and still we barely beat them of a Gasol tip in in game 6.

Where would we have been if we didn't have someone to make life miserable for Durant like Artest?

Against Phoenix he had that put back at the buzzer off Kobe's airball. Without that the game goes into overtime and Phoenix would've had all the momentum after their huge comeback.

In the next game he had 27 points and really was the only player who showed up offensively other than Kobe. Pau had 9 points and Lamar like the rest of the road games in that series was a no show.

His defense in the Finals was superb on Pierce who really only got off in game 5. In Game 7 when Kobe and Pau were struggling mightily it was Artest who kept us afloat with 20 points including the mega clutch three in the final minute.

And he set the tone for the entire series and forshadowed that 2010 wasn't going to be 2008 redux with his takedown of Paulina before Tip off game 1.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Artest sucked, even in 2010. I don't know why everyone likes him so much. No shooting ability and slow defensively. He was living off of his past reputation at that point.

His performance against Paul Pierce wiped away many of the misgivings LGers had towards him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Best fit? Ariza.
Best individual talent? Caron Butler or Glen Rice

I was really high on Caron, I am surprised he didn't develop into a little more than what he did. I see his names on rosters still, and think it would be nice to have him back if only for a veteran presence.
Superlaker66
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject:

Wow this is a good survey! I can't decide between MWP, Rice, or Ariza...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject:

Ariza was a great fit b/c of his low usage rate, ability to defend/run the fastbreak. Perfect guy for Kobe, but would have been outmatched against Pierce.

Ron Artest earned his contract with his performance in game 7. Will never forget what he did.

Still, Fox is the man for me. Was the right guy for Kobe at the time.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

I think that many don't realize what Fox was in that locker room. I have mentioned before that I ran into a player from that era at a Starbucks in Monticeto several times a few years ago, and he said that locker room would have exploded if not for Fox and Shaw. That is part of the reason that I would love to see Fox added to the FO and become the face of franchise to the fans and media (the way Magic was supposed to be for the Dodgers before, well, he hasn't been. But that is for you Dodger fans to discuss). Guy is slicker and more well-spoken than Riley, and that is saying a lot.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

Rice.

I always remember when we played the Heat @ Miami. Kobe was ice cold the 1st half, Shaq was in foul trouble thanks to Alonzo, but Rice kept us close until Shaq and Kobe got going.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

Best career: Glen Rice
Best suited: Ron Artest
Most Respected: Rick Fox
Most Underrated: Devean George

Who fit best with Kobe: Trevor Ariza
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think that many don't realize what Fox was in that locker room. I have mentioned before that I ran into a player from that era at a Starbucks in Monticeto several times a few years ago, and he said that locker room would have exploded if not for Fox and Shaw. That is part of the reason that I would love to see Fox added to the FO and become the face of franchise to the fans and media (the way Magic was supposed to be for the Dodgers before, well, he hasn't been. But that is for you Dodger fans to discuss). Guy is slicker and more well-spoken than Riley, and that is saying a lot.

Most def. Fox literally kept Shaq/Kobe from killing each other IMO. And he was a hell of a player who knew his limits and exceeded in that capacity.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Most def. Fox literally kept Shaq/Kobe from killing each other IMO. And he was a hell of a player who knew his limits and exceeded in that capacity.

Foxy would be great in that role.

Unfortunately I think Hollywood and the NBA media is what he prefers to do
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject:

I voted Other. Cmon guys, Lebron is way better than any of those guys.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Foxy would be great in that role.

Unfortunately I think Hollywood and the NBA media is what he prefers to do

Yeah, he was talking NBA playoffs with Sam Rubin of all people down in Coachella on Friday's morning news.
MDI
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Ron Artest. Unfortunately age/injuries made Ron decline real quick

I don't think Ariza would've kept it up, he was a contract year player
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Jenn wrote:
Horry.

He was a power forward.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

We don't like him we love him because without Ron we don't win the 2010 title.

Forget the regular season just thank back to the playoffs.

He held Kevin Durant to a miserable shooting series and still we barely beat them of a Gasol tip in in game 6.

Where would we have been if we didn't have someone to make life miserable for Durant like Artest?

Against Phoenix he had that put back at the buzzer off Kobe's airball. Without that the game goes into overtime and Phoenix would've had all the momentum after their huge comeback.

In the next game he had 27 points and really was the only player who showed up offensively other than Kobe. Pau had 9 points and Lamar like the rest of the road games in that series was a no show.

His defense in the Finals was superb on Pierce who really only got off in game 5. In Game 7 when Kobe and Pau were struggling mightily it was Artest who kept us afloat with 20 points including the mega clutch three in the final minute.

And he set the tone for the entire series and forshadowed that 2010 wasn't going to be 2008 redux with his takedown of Paulina before Tip off game 1.

Exactly... 2010 Ron Artest was key to us beating the Celtics and exacting revenge for that dismal 2008 ass whopping that we took. He'll always be one of the Laker elite for that.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to say Fox, based on both skill-set and longevity.

Yes, Ariza was more quicker and more athletic. Artest was physically stronger and more intimidating. And Rice was a no-question better scorer.

However, while Ariza's length and quickness gave us help D and transition speed, his 6'8", 200 lb frame was of little use against Pierce and the rest of the Celtic swingmen in the 2008 playoffs. Also, for all his finishing ability, Ariza was not the most reliable of ball-handlers or decision-makers with the ball in his hands.

Fox, however, would do enough to throw off bigger SFs (like Peja), or muscle out younger, quicker opponents (Richard Jefferson, etc.)

Likewise, Rice was a devastating scorer, whether outside on Shaq kick-outs, or as an underrated post scorer when Shaq sat. However, anyone and everyone on this Board during those years remembers screaming in despair every time Rice tried (badly) to help beat the press with his dribble. And defense? Who are we kidding?

Fox? Here's a guy who would give us 3-4 assists a game in the equal-opportunity-assist-stats triangle, and would also help break the press without giving fans cardiac episodes. And Fox formed a solid defensive triangle with the young Kobe and the still-mobile Horry in 2001 and 2002.

Artest, of course, was still in his defensive, dominating prime in his one healthy year with us in 2010. And yes, he harassed and hampered everyone from Pierce to KD to Melo. On D, he was just a beast. And on offense? Oh boy, anyone who claims they did NOT scream "NO!" on least a half-dozen of his shots during that season is either a liar or just wasn't watching enough games.

Which brings us back to Fox - arguably our best Swiss-Army-knife role player since Coop. Fox could also post-up, which Ariza could not. Fox could also dribble and chew gum at the same time, which Rice could not. Fox could initiate the triangle, which Artest openly admitted he couldn't understand most of the time.

Seriously: Fox was not a dead-eye 3-pt shooter like Rice or Fish in his prime... but shot 37.9% from 3s during the 2000-2002 playoff years, including 46% in 2000. Way better than Ron-Ron. Plus, throw in Fox's occasional -- and still reliable -- post moves when the matchups presented themselves, combined with his high-70s/ low-80s FT shooting, and there's a reason why Rick was a key member of the Core 5 in the 2000-02 era.

Rice, Ariza, and Rice each helped us toward titles -- but only to one title apiece. And Rice was often put on the bench in place of Fox whenever D was needed most.

Fox may have only gotten to the Finals in the second half of his Laker career, but he was always a team leader and exemplary teammate, whether by taking less money his 1st 2 years with the team ($1M each year) to help sign other FAs, or bulking up to 248 lbs in 2000 when Shaq needed an enforcer other than AC Green, or dropping back down to 223 to help our perimeter D when Rice was let go.

In his peak, starter-level years with us, Fox would be a reliable 10 pts, 4 boards, AND nearly 4 assists a game for us, to go with 80% FTs and 36-38% from the arc.

Maybe not the flashiest guy or the flashiest stats, but indispensable, invaluable glue. And the best SF to play alongside Kobe.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
I'm going to say Fox, based on both skill-set and longevity.

Yes, Ariza was more quicker and more athletic. Artest was physically stronger and more intimidating. And Rice was a no-question better scorer.

However, while Ariza's length and quickness gave us help D and transition speed, his 6'8", 200 lb frame was of little use against Pierce and the rest of the Celtic swingmen in the 2008 playoffs. Also, for all his finishing ability, Ariza was not the most reliable of ball-handlers or decision-makers with the ball in his hands.

Fox, however, would do enough to throw off bigger SFs (like Peja), or muscle out younger, quicker opponents (Richard Jefferson, etc.)

Likewise, Rice was a devastating scorer, whether outside on Shaq kick-outs, or as an underrated post scorer when Shaq sat. However, anyone and everyone on this Board during those years remembers screaming in despair every time Rice tried (badly) to help beat the press with his dribble. And defense? Who are we kidding?

Fox? Here's a guy who would give us 3-4 assists a game in the equal-opportunity-assist-stats triangle, and would also help break the press without giving fans cardiac episodes. And Fox formed a solid defensive triangle with the young Kobe and the still-mobile Horry in 2001 and 2002.

Artest, of course, was still in his defensive, dominating prime in his one healthy year with us in 2010. And yes, he harassed and hampered everyone from Pierce to KD to Melo. On D, he was just a beast. And on offense? Oh boy, anyone who claims they did NOT scream "NO!" on least a half-dozen of his shots during that season is either a liar or just wasn't watching enough games.

Which brings us back to Fox - arguably our best Swiss-Army-knife role player since Coop. Fox could also post-up, which Ariza could not. Fox could also dribble and chew gum at the same time, which Rice could not. Fox could initiate the triangle, which Artest openly admitted he couldn't understand most of the time.

Seriously: Fox was not a dead-eye 3-pt shooter like Rice or Fish in his prime... but shot 37.9% from 3s during the 2000-2002 playoff years, including 46% in 2000. Way better than Ron-Ron. Plus, throw in Fox's occasional -- and still reliable -- post moves when the matchups presented themselves, combined with his high-70s/ low-80s FT shooting, and there's a reason why Rick was a key member of the Core 5 in the 2000-02 era.

Rice, Ariza, and Rice each helped us toward titles -- but only to one title apiece. And Rice was often put on the bench in place of Fox whenever D was needed most.

Fox may have only gotten to the Finals in the second half of his Laker career, but he was always a team leader and exemplary teammate, whether by taking less money his 1st 2 years with the team ($1M each year) to help sign other FAs, or bulking up to 248 lbs in 2000 when Shaq needed an enforcer other than AC Green, or dropping back down to 223 to help our perimeter D when Rice was let go.

In his peak, starter-level years with us, Fox would be a reliable 10 pts, 4 boards, AND nearly 4 assists a game for us, to go with 80% FTs and 36-38% from the arc.

Maybe not the flashiest guy or the flashiest stats, but indispensable, invaluable glue. And the best SF to play alongside Kobe.

I agree with your post, but Ariza didn't play much in the 2008 finals. He was injured
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject:

I originally voted Fox based on career contribution to the Lakers. But based on a one year peak (particularly playoffs) it's gotta be Ariza.

I'd rank MWP 3rd in both measures, so I'm surprised to see such a landslide for him in this poll. He was just too big of an offensive liability to be considered above Fox or Ariza.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject:

No love for the "space cadet"?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Ron Artest at his peak was in my opinion the best player on that list
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject:

if you are talking about just their time with the Lakers...

NO WAY MWP should be on the top of the list.

People have no memories....

dude was a brick machine with his shots and momentum killer with his lay ups. Teams would leave him wide open on purpose (Rondo style) and to guard the others....

yes, he was the hero of game 7, but if he didn't brick all the other shots we might have won it before 7. Just like because Shaq sometimes hits clutch free throws doesn't mean he is a good free throw shooter.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Luke Walton

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
No love for the "space cadet"?

Again, Luke Walton.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject:

The best SF Kobe played with ? Rick Fox.

He fit with Kobe best. He was healthy here for longer. He was young enough to play near his peak with Kobe and he could do most everything a small forward needed to do well.

Artest and Rice had better peaks with other clubs, and were better SFs for longer periods before they were Lakers. However, neither was as complete a player when he played here, and hence not as good a complement to Kobe.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject:

It would have been interesting to see Kobe play with Artest when Ron was in his prime. Fox was a great player to have for KB's early years. I think that Ariza was the best overall fit for prime and vet Kobe. Shame he didn't remain longer.

Guess it depends on whether you're voting for who you think meshed the best with Kobe or just who was the best outright player. Definitely changes who I would pick depending on that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: