Who is the best SF Kobe ever played with?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is the best SF Kobe ever played with?
Rick Fox
22%
 22%  [ 32 ]
Glen Rice
17%
 17%  [ 24 ]
Devean George
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Trevor Ariza
20%
 20%  [ 29 ]
Ron Artest
36%
 36%  [ 51 ]
Other
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 141

waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject:

I say it was Glen Rice, even if his time here was very short. He played here when he was still quite a good offensive player, and it really forced teams not to overplay on Shaq. Ron Artest is probably the next closest guy on the list, simply by his body of NBA work. Ron was sort of like a Derek Harper guy, here at the end of his career, a little bit of a trainweck. He held it together just enough to get us that final ring. Rick Fox is sort of like AC Green, though I would argue that Green had the better skill set and the better body of work as a player.

Bottom line, we won most of our titles in the era on a shoe string outside of Shaq, Kobe, and Horry.
dmblakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject:

Artest's blow kisses alone make him the best SF to ever play basketball.

WHEETIES

Derek
Fisher
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject:

I go back and forth between Artest and Fox.
stojan1993
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject:

I assume this is while he played with them and not for their careers, so i voted for fox although its neck and neck between him and artest, and maybe ariza a close third.
Artest was the better player than both when he was here but fox did better at playing his role and being consistent, i was close though to giving it to ron for the gamewinner against the suns and the tree in game 7 but to often he was a lyability on offense and killed our spacing.
EldenCampbell
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

Best fit: Rick Fox
Most talented: Glen Rice
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

Best: Ron Ron
Honorable mention: Rick Fox

Note: We never saw the good versions of either Rice or Fox, the ones that played well in Charlotte and Boston. Rice was never the same shooter after wrist surgery and seemed a tad slower. Foxy was never as athletic as his Boston days due to recurring hip and lower back trouble, but did a commendable job compensating by playing the tough guy on defense. Rice on the other hand seemed indifferent.
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

It's Ron, c'mon guys

STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject:

Eddie Jones?
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject:

What are we talking about here? Total career or time spent as a Laker?

Total career-wise, it's hands down Antawn Jamison.

As a Laker, it was Trevor who would have had a very good Laker career had it not been for his stunted agent with honorable mentions to Foxy and Metta.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Trevor wouldn't have locked up Paul Pierce for a 7 game series. I'll say that right now.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:
Eddie Jones?

for spot minutes, you would not be wrong.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Career wise it's definitely Glen Rice, and if he'd had a better attitude perhaps he'd been a better fit. The best fit was Trevor imo, and 2009 was probably the best season by a Lakers SF since Worthy. If you look back on that team, it was basically a two man team of Kobe and Pau (well, three man team if you count the nights that LO showed up). Trevor filled that no. 3 void nicely whenever needed and took nothing off the table with his timely shot making and clutch D. That gm 4 comeback vs Orlando wouldn't have been possible without Ariza.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject:

Ariza gets a 'lot' of credit imo, and in some ways too much, for having 2 good games in the finals.

To me Artest's 25 vs Phoenix and 20 vs Boston in Game 7 while locking up Pierce for a series is the most important thing.

To me Ron was a better defender than Ariza, was more experienced, more complete and did something like lock up Paul Pierce for 7 games which Ariza wouldn't have done imo.

Ariza gets a lot of credit for a big shot in our comeback vs the Magic. But what he really gets rated on are his 3 back to back threes the next game which essentially buried the momentum the Magic may have had after he got in Turkuglu's face. But to me, what Artest did for the team, not just defensively but his lockdown defense over that 7 game series was extremely vital.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject:

Artest was way too inconsistent and the offense in 2010 looked much worse with him than it did with Ariza. The 2009 offense was amazing. The 2010 team had improved defense but worse offense.

Artest had major strengths and major weaknesses, and because he was so inconsistent, he has people both overrating him and ripping on him.

I have mixed feelings about him. I feel like he won playoff games and lost playoff games for the team. With Ariza you wouldn't see the occasional great game with 15-20 points and great D on an elite player, but the team played at a high level more consistently because Ariza wouldn't kill the offense when he had a bad game.

The biggest thing for me is the team won 65 games with Ariza and 57 games with Artest. That's a pretty significant difference.

Last edited by Steve007 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Trevor wouldn't have locked up Paul Pierce for a 7 game series. I'll say that right now.

I've always thought the team would score more points with Ariza which would make up for that. Boston struggled to stop the 2009 Lakers in the regular season, and even lost when they were on a 19 game winning streak. And the 2009 version of the Celtics was probably better than the 2010 version.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
The biggest thing for me is the team won 65 games with Ariza and 57 games with Artest. That's a pretty significant difference.

Though I'm not sure how much of that can be credited to Ariza. He only played 24 MPG.

I would attribute that 65-win success more to Pau and Kobe missing one game combined all season versus 26 the following year with Artest.

In fact, that we only lost 8 games despite Kobe and Pau missing 26 games might say a lot about Artest!
ILoveLA WeLoveIT
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:

Rick Fox for me! Savvy savvy vet. Did nothing wrong to hurt the team.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Though I'm not sure how much of that can be credited to Ariza. He only played 24 MPG.

I would attribute that 65-win success more to Pau and Kobe missing one game combined all season versus 26 the following year with Artest.

In fact, that we only lost 8 games despite Kobe and Pau missing 26 games might say a lot about Artest!

Bynum missed 15 more games in 2009 than he did in 2010. Gasol missed 16 more games in 2010 than he missed in 2009. Odom missed 4 more games in 2009 than he missed in 2010. So when when you look at Gasol, Bynum and Odom, they missed more games in 2009. As a result, I think your numbers are misleading.

The only stat that could sway me is Kobe missed 9 more games in 2010, but I wouldn't expect the impact to affect the team record by 8 games! Maybe 2 or 3 games at the most. The team was talented enough to win games without him. They weren't going 0-9 or 2-7 without Kobe, for example.

Moreover, Kobe and Gasol missed zero games in 2011 and they still won 8 fewer games than the 2009 team.

The 2008 team didn't even have Gasol until February, didn't have Bynum and Gasol play a single game together, had no Artest and even had a lot of Luke Walton and Vladimir Radmanovic and won just as many games as the 2010 and 2011 teams with Artest.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject:

It's remarkable how many folks in this poll saw the performance of Ron Artest (a guy severely slowed, overweight and with skills degraded so much from mid-career levels) so positively.

The guy had one decent year here, made a clutch shot in the Finals and that apparently erased all the bad stuff. Oh well ...
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
It's remarkable how many folks in this poll saw the performance of Ron Artest (a guy severely slowed, overweight and with skills degraded so much from mid-career levels) so positively.

The guy had one decent year here, made a clutch shot in the Finals and that apparently erased all the bad stuff. Oh well ...

Part of the reason is people overrate Paul Pierce and his performance in the 2008 Finals. Pierce was not Kobe, but people almost seem to act like he was.

The biggest difference between the 2008 and 2010 Finals is the Laker bigs played much better in 2010. In 2008, Bynum played zero minutes and Gasol looked terrible when he was matched up against Perkins.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject:

09 A-three-za was the perfect fit. My favorite of course will always be the great Foxy.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: