Lakers Exit Meetings Start Tuesday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Mark Medina on twitter (Randle):

Quote:
Despite injured season, Randle said he learned a lot about being professional, work ethic & studying the game

Julius Randle not sure when he can start doing contact drills. But he said "not too far."

Julius said his rehab has been pretty smooth

Randle credited Kobe for helping with his confidence when he constantly checked in with him during rehab

Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Regarding Lin and his exit interview, like 24 said, he wasn't as adamant about leaving as one would expect. Lin seem to understand and convey that it was ultimately out of his hands and he did seem more comfortable with the press as the interview went out. Here's a loose recap. Inteview starts at 1:53

Summary of meeting
. Both Mitch and Byron said same thing
. had a rough start adjusting to new system, and figuring what Scott wanted from him and how it relates to new players.
. But as time went on, there was good progression and improvement. Lin thought it was accurate
. Mitch asked what happened after the ASG, why Lin got better. Getting away helped. It was difficult trying so hard every day to figure it out inside the game. From a team perspective, because of the injuries, speeding up the game, opening up the game, lot more random p&r, drags, moving Ryan to the stretch 4, angles, that's what I'm most comfortable with. Allowed him to flourish. As we evolved that offensive end, more injuries, extended playing time, it just came together, more of a rhythm, more comfortable with the system and whats going on

Priorities for Free Agency
. haven't spoken to agent about it.
. biggest thing are to make a good decision where I wanna be and where I think I'll fit in
. not too worried about the years or money being paid
. 26 yo, going into his physical prime and find a good fit and do the best I can wherever I am
. definitely not ruled out the Lakers but they have a lot of things going on with free agency and draft
. learned alot about each other, what they wanted from a player and as a person and I learned who they are and what they wanted on the court
. its never going to be perfect but its ab out the direction and I'm optimistic about the progression being made.

Is the Lakers not the place to be?
. aware of how fast things changed, ie: league wasn't for him
. trusting God and that he has a plan for him and things can change overnight
. not ruling anything out, don't know where I'll be and never say never about coming back
. definitely keeping the Lakers open and not a last resort

Injury
. started running and cutting.
. got the swelling out. no pain. 100% range of motion
. almost there, gonna play 1 on 1 tomorrow.

Scott and Mitch and what they want from him
. 2 different meetings
. attack attack. but should facilitate more (Scott)
. getting in the paint and picking up the dribble (mitch)
. agreed with their assessment

Scott's criticizm of the team and lack of toughness
. Didn't think it was aimed at him
. Coach saw the things that Lin played through, certain things he shouldn't have played through.
. Its not about being loud verbally. Thinks toughness is about showing up everyday and doing your work, sacrificing yourself, giving your best effort and finding ways to improve
. Respect for each other has grown steadily throughout the season
. Scott respecting Lin. playing him more, giving more minutes, putting him back in the starting line up, running specific plays, to get him going
. Lin respecting Scott understanding what he wants, figuring out his style or what he expects from a point guard. His comments recently shows that they've gone a long ways from before

Do you want to come back
. Yes, it be great for me. Its an option to consider. I love the city, I love the fans. I"m comfortable here.

Intensity of his fans matching Kobe fans
. I love it.
. Seen lot of fans come and go but my real fans are there til I die. They're the best. They might not know anyone else (laughter)
. They're rooting for me, I wont complain
. letting go of being this ideal or concept for his fans
. Trying to be authentic and genuine and exactly what I say is what I execute when the camera's are off. Wanna be a good role model
. I got to play for God, and regardless of having a good or bad game, I have peace when I get home

P&R and coach wants you to do something else.
. Thats on me, my next challenge
. My name has been thrown around a little.I haven't played that many games that much experience in the league, I'm still relatively young, there's so much more to learn
. I've only really played 3.5 years in a 5 year career
. A wide array of experience, having started, coming off the bench, not played at all, now evolved where I can come in, not contingent on anything but still being able to impact the game. Thats my goal

On Scott saying Lin is able to take criticism
. That's how I am
. brought up in a tough love family
. never doubted my parents loved me but I knew they knew I had more to give. Raised in the environment was helpful
. The only Asian playing basketball, being overlooked, criticism, the doubting and speculating by people, doesn't doesn't bother him anymore. Its a marathon journey
. Criticism is a good opportunity to take for what it worth and make out as what you can out of it.

Take away from experience with Kobe
. the mental side
. early on , got a lot of advice how to watch film, how to think through the game, how to approach the game
. story of a game where Kobe had a bad half and he had a towel over his head but exploded in the second half. Told Lin what he was going through.
. leaned from him during film session and takes away from how Kobe approaches the game. Take that with him regardless of where he is.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Not surprised, management wants to get rid of the pain of this season ASAP.
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Clip of Lin's exit interview with press for those who missed it live.

K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm really curious to see if Jim and Mitch participate in the exit meetings once the season is over.... I'm interested to know what they have to say and what there plans are.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
I'm really curious to see if Jim and Mitch participate in the exit meetings once the season is over.... I'm interested to know what they have to say and what there plans are.

Mitch speaks every year, i think?
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

i want lin back as backup to clarkson
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

I think some people might be upset about this but I think there is a great chance the lakers trade randle as long as that team that gets him knows he's gonna have a pro-longed career.
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:

According to Lin, he had a meeting with Mitch and Scott but didn't say if it was separate or together.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject:

No matter how you look at it.. If a player has a meeting with the GM there is a good chance Mitch gave all the blue print in telling him that he probably won't return this offseason... I'm not sure how you bring Lin back with so many options in the FA market and also because he probably doesn't want to be a back up pg.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject:

I would be fine with bringing back Lin.

If the Lakers draft other then PG and with limited free agent PGs available I think Lin may be the best option in fact. He is solid. Not great but effective.

Going to be interesting to see how it plays out this summer.
bws94
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I would be fine with bringing back Lin.

If the Lakers draft other then PG and with limited free agent PGs available I think Lin may be the best option in fact. He is solid. Not great but effective.

Going to be interesting to see how it plays out this summer.

He didn't play his best this season. He had a stretch post ASB break where he started to play closer to his capabilities and then he had the sinus infection and still played well. But after coming back from it he wasn't the same. Then the knee injury occurred probably when he banged into Griffin and that's all she wrote. A player that didn't miss many games ends the season missing the last 4 or 5.

For the Lakers, Lin off the bench is a big factor for a strong bench. Especially if he's with Davis. For Lin, probably best not to stay with the Lakers.

Young, don't know. I don't like how one-dimensional his game is. Randle may be a superstar/franchise player. We'll see. Ellington had his ups and downs but he's not quite there.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Stay; Kobe (Mr. Obvious but don't renew), Randle, Davis ( good b-up for Randle), Johnson ( second- third string SF ?), Black ( b-up C), Clarkson & Brown.

Should go; Lin, Hill, Boozer, Price ( we could do better), Ellington (keep Brown),

Trade IF possible; Young, Kelly, Sacre
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Exit Meetings start tomorrow

numero-ocho wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
bonkers wrote:
Quote:
Lakers have exit meetings Tues for some injured players: Price (11 a.m.), Ellington (11:20), Lin (11:40), Young (noon), Randle (12:20)

-Mark Medina
https://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/status/587854161204551681

I see Randle is the last one. For the others they may plan on the short version. Something like, "We thank you for your services. Good luck on your career..."

...and please remember to clean out your locker before you leave.

This is the first time I can recall exit meetings taking place before the season ends.

Unless you count the announcement that the team was "letting go" of personnel DURING the playoff run. THAT was the snowflake that led to this disastrous avalanche we have now.
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject:

The rest of the exit interviews will take place on Thursday, starting at 10am pacific. And Mitch and Byron will speak with the press after all the players are done. Kobe will be exempt from doing the exit interviews.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Looks like the head of the snake is probably going to return.

Quote:
The Lakers are interested in keeping Price as a third-string point guard, a role Price will gladly accept.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/los_angeles_lakers#sthash.k8P7E9ms.dpuf
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Air Shooter wrote:
And Mitch and Byron will speak with the press after all the players are done.

I wanna see some anger from Mitch when he gets to speak at the exit interview.... the players he got last year either quit or failed to meet expectations.... he did a good job collecting young assets but the weaknesses the Lakers have right now will take a major overhaul for things to turn around.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Air Shooter wrote:

I wanna see some anger from Mitch when he gets to speak at the exit interview.... the players he got last year either quit or failed to meet expectations.... he did a good job collecting young assets but the weaknesses the Lakers have right now will take a major overhaul for things to turn around.

SO who is he going to be angry at? Himself?
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Air Shooter wrote:

I wanna see some anger from Mitch when he gets to speak at the exit interview.... the coach he got last year either tanked or failed to meet expectations.... he did a good job collecting young assets but the weaknesses the Lakers have right now will take a major overhaul for things to turn around.

Fixed
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:
The Lakers are interested in keeping Price as a third-string point guard, a role Price will gladly accept.

What are the odds of SCOTT benching Clarkson for Price? Can't deny the head of the snake. Where would our league trailing defense be without him?
JLinfanJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"Mitch asked what happened after the ASG, why Lin got better

LOL, uh, Ed Davis?

Such a simple answer, but it is actually true:

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/40215/davis-lin-pick-and-roll-effective-already

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2014/10/23/7049577/jeremy-lin-ed-davis-la-lakers-pick-and-roll

(Kobe, Boozer, and Hill didn't play this game, and Kings played their full regular season first and second units, including DeMarcus Cousins and Darren Collison, and Lakers were still up by about 10 points in middle of third quarter; Lakers also should have won the game except refs didn't call Lin getting shoved out of bounds by Reggie Evans on final play, clearing the way for him to get rebound that led to final bucket that gave Kings win then)
Quote:
"Jeremy Lin has shown in his career that he's very effective in the pick-and-roll no matter who he's with," Trail Blazers coach Terry Stotts said. "He penetrates well, he can make midrange shots and he sets up shots for other people. For him, it all starts at the point of attack. If he can create an advantage, he causes problems."

Lin and Davis didn't play on same unit for extended period of time for most of season, only play a few minutes together as first unit transitioned to second unit. Most of season Lin just got a screen from a big, and was left to attack the rim all alone (no roll man to make defense make split second read on whom to cover: Lin layup at rim, alley oop to Davis, pass out to three point shooter, Lin pull up jumper). From what I've read here, Lin Davis pnr was only reason second unit beat Kobe and starters occasionally in training camp, yet Lakers never tried to build upon that.

Quote:
True spread pick and roll, and an actual roll man to attack the rim with:

Celtics:

(Q4: Lin Davis pnr becomes Lin Boozer pick and pop)

Game Flow: http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20150222&game=BOSLAL

Bucks:

(Q4: Lin Davis pnr with Ryan Kelly replacing Jordan Hill to space the floor)

Game Flow: http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20150227&game=MILLAL

Sixers:

(Q4: Lin Davis pnr, with Lin becoming very difficult to stop because his own pull up jump shot was also on)

Game Flow: http://popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20150322&game=PHILAL

Would have also been nice to see how good a Lin (PG) / Clarkson (SG) backcourt could have looked like, especially if Lin and Clarkson both had the option to attack out of pnr with Ed Davis, while both spacing the floor for each other (Lin attacking from left, where I think Lin may not shoot as well as right side, but whole court, both left and right, opens up for him as a passer, while Clarkson can slash and shoot from right side of court if defense loads up on Lin Davis pnr).

We saw hints of the Lin (PG) Clarkson (SG) backcourt the last OKC Thunder game ( http://popcornmachine.net/bs?date=20150324&game=LALOKC ) where Ryan Kelly just got overpowered by Enes Kanter rolling to the rim with Westbrook, but Lakers, just like the Lin Davis pnr which clicked immediately, for whatever reason, chose not to build on that and deployed Lin as a true shooting guard who would just slash to the basket (to get blocked at rim because center didn't have to decide on whether to stop Lin or Davis, it was just Lin attacking solo vs.
) while Clarkson tries to learn how to run an NBA offense. The player with brilliant split second, instinctive read and react court vision and elite passing / playmaking skills, but who doesn't have the hops to finish at the rim, is told to slash to the rim, while the player with elite athleticism and hops, but perhaps not as good natural point guard skills, is told to run the team, instead of just catch and slash to the basket when defense loaded up against Lin Davis pick and roll.

Last edited by JLinfanJoe on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:39 pm; edited 5 times in total
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lakers Exit Meetings Start Tuesday

bonkers wrote:
Quote:
Lakers have exit meetings Tues for some injured players: Price (11 a.m.), Ellington (11:20), Lin (11:40), Young (noon), Randle (12:20)

-Mark Medina
https://twitter.com/MarkG_Medina/status/587854161204551681

20 minutes? LOL! That faster than getting your passport stamped at some airports...

Snake: Byron nodded and gave him the thumbs up
Ellington: Byron nodded neutrally
Lin: Byron crossed his legs and looked at his watch
Young: Byron smiled and shook his head
Randle: Byron leaned forward with his elbows on his thighs, offering rapt attention...
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject:

I would gladly welcome J-Lin back at a reduced rate.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
I would gladly welcome J-Lin back at a reduced rate.

Kobe wouldn't... Kobe will reduce him to a spot up shooter again...
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

What are the odds of SCOTT benching Clarkson for Price? Can't deny the head of the snake. Where would our league trailing defense be without him?

good points
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: