Lakers Skimp on Training Room Budget
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cvballa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Lakers Skimp on Training Room Budget

I am good friends with a CEO for growing and innovative training and recovery company (Yes the Lakers use their products, as well as every other team in the league). I was talking to him yesterday and he made an interesting statement at dinner last night.

He knows many trainers throughout the NBA, including Gary Vitti (one of his favorite trainers in the league). He told me that the Lakers training room budget is FAR lower than almost every team in the league (confirmed by Vitti).

This was shocking to me considering how rich the franchise is and how much they spend on player salaries. The players are the product and its amazing that they would skimp in this way.

Hopefully they change this protocol ASAP!
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

Under Jimbo, nothing surprises me.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the tidbit.

If true, let's hope this changes with the new practice facility they're building
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers Skimp on Training Room Budget

cvballa wrote:
I am good friends with a CEO for growing and innovative training and recovery company (Yes the Lakers use their products, as well as every other team in the league). I was talking to him yesterday and he made an interesting statement at dinner last night.

He knows many trainers throughout the NBA, including Gary Vitti (one of his favorite trainers in the league). He told me that the Lakers training room budget is FAR lower than almost every team in the league (confirmed by Vitti).

This was shocking to me considering how rich the franchise is and how much they spend on player salaries. The players are the product and its amazing that they would skimp in this way.

Interesting.

Although so many of these guys were so injured that they didn't even show up to the training facilities anymore.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

Ugh. Thanks for the insight.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

It's so the team can afford Kobe...
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers Skimp on Training Room Budget

cvballa wrote:

That's crazy you think with Lakers brand and money this franchise has you think they would have better training facility.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject:

As I mentioned before, the Jimbo Era began when the Lakers made massive layoffs. That's the mark of new management, and it tells you the vision of new management. As such saving money on equipment is consistent with cash flow optimization and should not be a surprise.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
As I mentioned before, the Jimbo Era began when the Lakers made massive layoffs. That's the mark of new management, and it tells you the vision of new management. As such saving money on equipment is consistent with cash flow optimization and should not be a surprise.

It can't even be THAT much money all things considered, no?
cvballa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

I am not sure, but the impression I get is that this has been the case for many years. Even under Jerry Buss.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

cvballa wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I am not sure, but the impression I get is that this has been the case for many years. Even under Jerry Buss.

If you don't mind, check on that if you can.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

cvballa wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I think as that core of personnel ages, we will hopefully see a changing of the guard (with the final one being Mitch, who I like). Vitti has been the trainer for decades so I'm just going to wish him the best as he moves on next year.
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

The Lakers have got to be one of the most financially sound franchises in the NBA, given the market size.

Would this skimping be by directives up top? In which case, we'd have to wonder whether it's coming from the business side (Jeanie?) worried about expenses, or from the basketball operations side (Jimbo, Mitch?) who redirect resources elsewhere instead (they could do with beefing up the analytics department).

Or is it from the Vitti level where Vitti simply doesn't make use of the more expensive cutting edge equipment, and thus doesn't requisition such or ask the higher ups for a it in the budget? (Leeches and grass-fed are enough for us!)

I just can't fathom how a rich franchise like the Lakers can't find the money to do all this and more.

Seems like a shocking contrast between this and the state-of-the-art individualized computer monitoring systems (mentioned in the infamous valley of the suns article) that Phoenix uses to train their athletes and prevent injuries.

Last edited by AirShooter on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Interesting theory, but considering they just got approval to build their new $80 million training facility yesterday, I'm not sure if I buy it.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

It can't even be THAT much money all things considered, no?

It wouldn't be. All expenses are dwarfed by player salaries, but then some organizations are run by cash flow optimization that they've been cut to the bone or worse. Or perhaps more metaphorically, a friend who worked as a management consultant once said, "Sometimes management tries to cut the fat but end up cutting out the muscle as well."
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Interesting theory, but considering they just got approval to build their new $80 million training facility yesterday, I'm not sure if I buy it.

Thanks for this update, knew they bought some land for a new facility about a year ago.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

If you actually read the real reporting Mike Trudell does on the Lakers website, you'd know this. He wrote several pieces about how Vitti and DiFranesco are expected to fulfill roles that, in reality, should be filled by people more qualified (like Alex McKechnie). They try their best, but from how Trudell puts it, it's like asking a Podiatrist to do a Cardiologist's job.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

This is what I mentioned above. That new facility should be here soon. And the Lakers will likely spare no expense on the equipment/staff.

Hopefully Luca chimes in on this
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
If you actually read the real reporting Mike Trudell does on the Lakers website, you'd know this. He wrote several pieces about how Vitti and DiFranesco are expected to fulfill roles that, in reality, should be filled by people more qualified (like Alex McKechnie). They try their best, but from how Trudell puts it, it's like asking a Podiatrist to do a Cardiologist's job.

DD post the link please kind sir
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Buying a new training facility is one thing, but based on the OP, Vitti's comments, and Trudell's reporting, it appears they cut costs on staff and the other things that make an $80 million training facility run smoothly.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject:

Didn't they buy that crazy space-age treadmill that cost a fortune JUST for Bynum's rehab? That doesn't sound like skimping.
AirShooter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Frankly, my concern is not so much the dollar figure, but how it's being used. It's good that they realize they need to invest in it. But that article doesn't fill me with hope.

The article indicates the need for expansion based on needing extra room, and also to provide the basic amenities that players now expect from training facilities (video room, nutrition, etc.).

What is notably lacking and a worry is that the article doesn't indicate the inclusion of any of the advanced technologies and methodologies pioneered by places like Phoenix, or heck, even Houston.

Things like the individualized computer simulations that Phoenix creates to model each player's bones and tendons and musculature, with frequent periodic body muscle force measurements, to indicate where a player might be overcompensating during recovery, or what changes of gait and such need to be implemented to reduce the potential for future injury. Or the cryogenic chambers employed for post game recovery by Houston.

The new Lakers facility is simply spending money to create the physical space (they mention part of the $80M construction is to create space for corporate offices, and courts for the D-fenders, etc.). They include the basic amenities players expect like nutrition/weight room/video watching/community hangout. But the article is notably silent on investing any of the $80M into any of the cutting edge technologies employed by Phoenix or Houston or other NBA teams in their training facilities.

I hope it's not a new $80M corporate office overlooking the D-Fenders court and Vitti's leeches parked next to grass-fed cattle, with some basic player expected amenities parked inside.

The Lakers have the money, spend it on the Phoenix medical staff, or invest in the cutting edge tech being employed by Phoenix and build your own version. Not just a $80M construction of a glitzy shell with outdated innards.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

I'd rather have the Lakers spend $10m on PHX's training staff over $10m on Rondo.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

DD post the link please kind sir

They're dense, don't have time to look for specific quotes at the moment:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/130614_trainerstake_vitti

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/140801trainerstake_garyvitti

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/130712grassfed_timdifrancesco

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/2012/09/28/being-an-nba-strength-coach/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1618056-la-lakers-injuries-its-fair-to-question-training-staffs-effectiveness
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

AirShooter wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

Frankly, my concern is not so much the dollar figure, but how it's being used. It's good that they realize they need to invest in it. But that article doesn't fill me with hope.

The article indicates the need for expansion based on needing extra room, and also to provide the basic amenities that players now expect from training facilities (video room, nutrition, etc.).

What is notably lacking and a worry is that the article doesn't indicate the inclusion of any of the advanced technologies and methodologies pioneered by places like Phoenix, or heck, even Houston.

Things like the individualized computer simulations that Phoenix creates to model each player's bones and tendons and musculature, with frequent periodic body muscle force measurements, to indicate where a player might be overcompensating during recovery, or what changes of gait and such need to be implemented to reduce the potential for future injury. Or the cryogenic chambers employed for post game recovery by Houston.

The new Lakers facility is simply spending money to create the physical space (they mention part of the $80M construction is to create space for corporate offices, and courts for the D-fenders, etc.). They include the basic amenities players expect like nutrition/weight room/video watching/community hangout. But the article is notably silent on investing any of the $80M into any of the cutting edge technologies employed by Phoenix or Houston or other NBA teams in their training facilities.

I hope it's not a new $80M corporate office overlooking the D-Fenders court and Vitti's leeches parked next to grass-fed cattle, with some basic player expected amenities parked inside.

The Lakers have the money, spend it on the Phoenix medical staff, or invest in the cutting edge tech being employed by Phoenix and build your own version. Not just a $80M construction of a glitzy shell with outdated innards.

The article was a report of a council meeting. What they fill the building with had nothing to do with the story.

I know that the knee jerk reaction to anything the team does these days is skepticism and negativity, but you don't spend that kind of money on a new facility and then fill it with stuff from Ikea and Craigslist.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: