Can you see DeAndre Jordan as the face of the franchise?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think that DeAndre Jordan can be the face of the Lakers?
Yes
11%
 11%  [ 9 ]
No
88%
 88%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 80

twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
No. If Deandre Jordan's your best player, you aren't winning any titles. He'd be a great third option though.

Not saying DeAndre is our best player. But a franchise can have 2 stars to build their identity on... think Shaq-Kobe, Paul-Griffin, Durant-Westbrook. I was thinking along the lines of a Jordan-Durant, Jordan-Westbrook future.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't mind Jordan, but he's not a franchise player.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
I wouldn't mind Jordan, but he's not a franchise player.

Not a face of franchise player. Certainly a top 3 player on the team. Oh wait that's his current situation.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject:

Will the people who voted yes please stand up
Druggas
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject:

The only thing dumber than this poll, are the five that voted "yes".
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject:

Role player becomes the face of this franchise?

I dunno, but it sounds scary to me. Does it mean we gonna tank for the next 5 years?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
Lakers95 wrote:
No. If Deandre Jordan's your best player, you aren't winning any titles. He'd be a great third option though.

Not saying DeAndre is our best player. But a franchise can have 2 stars to build their identity on... think Shaq-Kobe, Paul-Griffin, Durant-Westbrook. I was thinking along the lines of a Jordan-Durant, Jordan-Westbrook future.

I think it's funny you bring up Paul-Griffin, because you can't even say Paul-Jordan or Griffin-Jordan.

That should tell you everything you need to know.

If he's not good enough to be the face of the Clippers, then he isn't good enough to be the face of the Lakers.

That said, would I want Jordan? Sure. But as the face of the franchise but not the best player? That makes absolutely no sense.
datniggbstyle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject:

Besides the face of the franchise part Deandre would be an excellent addition to the team.

The quickest way to catch up to the competition is to take talent from said competition. Not only would we be strengthening our roster we would be hurting the clippers. He is Priority #1 for me this summer. Assuming we are not in position to draft 1st or 2nd.

An offseason of signing Deandre Jordan and KJ McDaniels along with the Potential drafting of Justise Winslow and we could defend any team on any night. And if not It won't be for lack of effort.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject:

no
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

Nope. The guy is one deminsional. Good at the rim, and that's it.

He's a great guy to have down under though.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject:

kbitboc wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kbitboc wrote:
Hell no. He's only known for his defense and he's not even good at that. He's an overrated defender. He has no offensive game at all other than other creating for him. A team with him as the best or second best player has no chance of even sniffing the finals.

He's not even a good defender?

Okay bro you've lost all credibility because it's clear you haven't watched the man play at all.

He's one of the best defensive players in the NBA.

Then why is the Clippers not a good defensive team? Why does the Clippers allow less points when he's not on the floor? Why does he allow 49% fg at the rim? He's a great rebounder but he's not that great at protecting the rim. I remember Bynum used to own him all the time when they play.

Bynum used to own him when four/five years ago? Please, Jordan is a much better player now. The Clippers perimeter defense is dreadful outside of Paul so with how much penetration they allow it's a miracle teams shoot 49 percent it should be a lot higher than that.

He's one man. You need more than one elite defender to be elite. Look at the Warriors it's not just about Green. Bogut, Curry, and Thompson have all been elite defenders as well.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject:

Not his style, he's a defensive force but I don't think leadership is one of his better strengths.
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject:

Nope. Jordan is a great role player not franchise level talent.
mnstrdnk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject:

I think he knows his role. Most people probably are getting hung up with "face of the franchise" He can definitely be a team leader and is a game changer. No question. Jerry West tried to get him for the Warriors and i know he knows talent.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

Telling how far down the Lakers have fallen when threads like these sprout out like ragweed.

Deandre can be the face of a franchise when he learns to tell the difference between a shot clock and game clock buzzer.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

He won't be the face of any franchise but he'll certainly posterize dunk on the face of another franchise.
Or annihilate that face of a franchise's lay up/dunk attempt.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:

He could be the 3rd best player on a championship team, but doesn't have the post moves to be a 1st or 2nd option. His FT shooting is another reason, great role player though.
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Okay, I get where you're trying to go with this. Jordan protects the paint, he protects the rim, and he gobbles up everything within a 10 foot radius.
    He's the best low block defender in the league. Anyone who comes into the paint has think about locating Jordan before trying to create something.

He's probably going to this year's DPOY. He's had a ton of exposure throughout the year on Top Ten plays of the day. ESPN turned him into must-see TV on Sports Center.

Is he a center piece? Nope. He's just a piece. Let's not mistake him for what he isn't.
    He is not an offensive player. This season, 92% of his shots were inside 3 feet. He was 37% from 3 to 10 feet. From 3 feet to the elbow, he has no game. He gets open on the low block constantly, because his man leaves him to double on Paul or Griffin whenever they get into the paint. The last I checked, the Lakers have no one comparable to a Paul or Griffin, so Jordan would lose a ton of chippies at the rim.

He can't pass. DJ had 61 assists this season. Noah had 312 assists this season in 800 less minutes. Boogie Cousins had 210 assists in 800 less less minutes. Robert Sacre had 6 less assists in 1600 less minutes. To me, that's saying something. Unless he has a clear path to the rim, which Paul and Griffin help to facilitate, Deandre Jordan would be a black hole if he has to create offense or facilitate on his own.

Deandre Jordan is this generation's Ben Wallace, Dikembe Mitumbo, and Dennis Rodman, all guys who were no more than the 4th best players on their team. And as we know, 4th best players are neither centerpieces nor max deal players.

IMO, DeAndre Jordan is a star in the NBA at the present. but he is absolutely not the future face of any team.

That being said, I'll take him for Jordan Hill money, or something commensurate with being a very good role player.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Nightwalker wrote:
Nope. Jordan is a great role player not franchise level talent.

He probably gets my vote for DPOY. But like others have said, he can't be your 1st or 2nd guy. Kind of like Rondo, who was the 4th or 5th wheel on that title team. But once he was "promoted" to franchise status, C's weren't as good anymore.
kbitboc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
kbitboc wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kbitboc wrote:
Hell no. He's only known for his defense and he's not even good at that. He's an overrated defender. He has no offensive game at all other than other creating for him. A team with him as the best or second best player has no chance of even sniffing the finals.

Okay bro you've lost all credibility because it's clear you haven't watched the man play at all.

Then why is the Clippers not a good defensive team? Why does the Clippers allow less points when he's not on the floor? Why does he allow 49% fg at the rim? He's a great rebounder but he's not that great at protecting the rim. I remember Bynum used to own him all the time when they play.

Bynum used to own him when four/five years ago? Please, Jordan is a much better player now. The Clippers perimeter defense is dreadful outside of Paul so with how much penetration they allow it's a miracle teams shoot 49 percent it should be a lot higher than that.

He's one man. You need more than one elite defender to be elite. Look at the Warriors it's not just about Green. Bogut, Curry, and Thompson have all been elite defenders as well.

He's supposed to be a defensive anchor in the middle. His job is to stop them when they penetrate. If they are still allowing that high of a fg% at the rim, then he's not doing his job. Imagine him on this years Lakers. Lakers defense will still be horrendous because he can't protect the rim, then whats the point of having him when you probably have to offer him a max contract. Look at how much Utah defense improved when they had a real defensive anchor in Gobert. They went from terrible to one of the best. Also the Clippers allow less points when Jordan is not on the floor. Not saying he's a bad defender but he's not great and is overrated.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

No but he could play the Andrew Bynun role for a championship caliber team down the road.

Anchor.
Control the glass.
Power inside.

Doesn't have a post game but we used Pau for that anyway.

Considering Bynum was on a 15 m per year deal, i would be willing to give the same investment to DeAndre. He's definitely a 3rd best player on a contender type of talent. I also like a Fc of DeAndre and Randle, hopefully with an all star SF/swing man acquired down the road.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:

kbitboc wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kbitboc wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kbitboc wrote:

He's supposed to be a defensive anchor in the middle. His job is to stop them when they penetrate. If they are still allowing that high of a fg% at the rim, then he's not doing his job. Imagine him on this years Lakers. Lakers defense will still be horrendous because he can't protect the rim, then whats the point of having him when you probably have to offer him a max contract. Look at how much Utah defense improved when they had a real defensive anchor in Gobert. They went from terrible to one of the best. Also the Clippers allow less points when Jordan is not on the floor. Not saying he's a bad defender but he's not great and is overrated.

Blame Griffin and Enes Kanter, not the centers.

It's the PF that has to rotate over when the C is stopping initial penetration. Utah got better by playing Gobert, having Burke and Exum step up, and getting rid of Kanter.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject:

kbitboc wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kbitboc wrote:

If you're seeing this, tune into the Spurs game. The Spurs are a very patient and efficient team and all Harlan and Miller are talking about the last few minutes is "the Jordan effect". No, I don't mean his poor FT shooting, but his dominant defensive game. He isn't the face of a franchise and has major offensive issues but he's one of the best defenders in the game.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject:

I'm okay with VLF's idea of telling Jordan he'll be the face of the franchise.

But under no circumstances do I think he is a franchise player. We won't go very far if he's the best player we have on our roster.
dgh425
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:

he's pretty extremely offensively/athletically challenged. this a joke?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: