Eddie, Nick, Shaq, Kobe, Horry? How many rings if they didn't break up ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Eddie, Nick, Shaq, Kobe, Horry? How many rings if they didn't break up ?

[url=http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwO-pJowU84][/url] I still think if they didn't have Del Harris as coach and had more time to develop chemistry they could have been better than the 3 peat team with Zen Master.. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Sting on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject:

This seems like a thread that is gonna end ugly.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject:

No..... there was gonna be to many players wanting to take the offensive load it wouldn't have worked out.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:

0. Eddie was soft and Van Exel was uncoachable. I can't say I didn't enthusiastically enjoy watching those players however. They were worth the ticket.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
0. Eddie was soft and Van Exel was uncoachable. I can't say I didn't enthusiastically enjoy watching those players however. They were worth the ticket.
Imagine Nick the Quick with the Zen Master. Phil could have coached him and perhaps changed his whole career
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Imagine Nick the Quick with the Zen Master. Phil could have coached him and perhaps changed his whole career

Or benched his ass because of his shot selection and poor defense.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Phil Jackson coached one of the most uncoachable players in NBA history on the Bulls.

I think Phil could handle Nick the Quick pretty easily.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Phil Jackson coached one of the most uncoachable players in NBA history on the Bulls.

Rodman didn't have the ball in his hands.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject:

part of my wants a flashy pg with that swagger stuff like Nick. Brandon Jennings is an UFA next year..
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:
part of my wants a flashy pg with that swagger stuff like Nick.

You just described Jordan Clarkson.
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Is this a troll thread?
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Sting wrote:

Clarkson was the only reason I still watch the end of the season. Alot of cringeworthy stuff to end the year, but Clarkson sure is exciting
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Sting wrote:

Clarkson was the only reason I still watch the end of the season. Alot of cringeworthy stuff to end the year, but Clarkson sure is exciting

I'll admit I couldn't justify the choppy bandwidth and RAM usage to watch it. My only thing about the Clarkson emergence is if it will really matter next season when Kobe is starting and doing most of the ball handling or godforbid Rondo forces him to the bench. There's an eerie Kendall Marshall quality to it all. I hope I am completely wrong.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Sting wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Sting wrote:

I'll admit I couldn't justify the choppy bandwidth and RAM usage to watch it. My only thing about the Clarkson emergence is if it will really matter next season when Kobe is starting and doing most of the ball handling or godforbid Rondo forces him to the bench. There's an eerie Kendall Marshall quality to it all. I hope I am completely wrong.
Marshall looked great in MDA system. Scott doesn't have a pg system(does he even have a system)
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Deangelo Russell riminds me of taller Van Exel. After Magic, it was Sedale Threatt, the Lakers got Nick the quick with the 37th pick I believe. He was a pretty ausome point guard for us, I could imagine that it could of been a lot of pressure to be not too far removed from Magic as the starting PG, but the guy had swagger and just didn't give a f---. He made sever clutch shots, the guy had ice water in his veins. He would of made a good triangle PG with his skill set. I think we won of won and equal amount of rings. Part of the Rice trade was to help with our floor spacing which we wouldn't of needed as much had Van Exel still been on the team.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Deangelo Russell riminds me of taller Van Exel. After Magic, it was Sedale Threatt, the Lakers got Nick the quick with the 37th pick I believe. He was a pretty ausome point guard for us, I could imagine that it could of been a lot of pressure to be not too far removed from Magic as the starting PG, but the guy had swagger and just didn't give a f---. He made sever clutch shots, the guy had ice water in his veins. He would of made a good triangle PG with his skill set. I think we won of won and equal amount of rings. Part of the Rice trade was to help with our floor spacing which we wouldn't of needed as much had Van Exel still been on the team.

I can see that argument. NVE would've taken a lot of pressure away from Kobe to have to create for everyone. And seeing how Ariza flourished in the triangle, maybe Eddie would've done the same as well. Basically Kobe would be SG and Eddie SF. Talent wise, we'd be the top team easy. The league was already jealous of us in 1998 at the ASG when all 4 made it.

Otoh, could Nick survive where he'd have the ball out of his hands that much? Harper was calming influence for us in the early years. Locker room would have been combustible but Phil like chaos to push his own agenda forward.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Potato-Mania wrote:
Is this a troll thread?

Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Eddie was a quick, elite defender who didn't need the ball all the time. He was criticized for not being assertive enough. The team lost a lot of its explosiveness without him. They would have been a younger, faster team that could get out and run more. I think he would have been a great fit. Trading him away ruined the 1999 season.

Van Exel on the other hand would have been more of a problem. But he was more talented and was a better player than Fisher.

One of the big problems the teams from 2000-2002 had was they lacked talent after Shaq and Kobe. I think with Eddie and Nick they would have been a lot tougher for Portland and Sacramento to handle.

Kobe was eager to be the next MJ so I wonder how he would have fit in with all those guys.

The team won 61 games in 98 on pretty much talent alone, and that was with Shaq missing at least 20 games. With a healthy Shaq I'm sure they have the number #1 overall seed in the league that year, which means if Seattle could have beaten Utah, that Laker team likely plays the Bulls in the Finals.

Last edited by Steve007 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Sting wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Sting wrote:

Marshall looked great in MDA system. Scott doesn't have a pg system(does he even have a system)

1. Look good in a suit.
2. Have a stern look on his face.
3. Fold arms with the best of them.
4. Say "Period."
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Megaton wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Rodman didn't have the ball in his hands.

Yet he was traded by the Spurs and kicked off the 99 Lakers.

Jackson actually seemed interested in bringing him back in 2000 though, but with the experience of 99 fresh in everybody's minds, it wasn't a popular idea.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Sting wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Sting wrote:

I don't see how you can compare Marshall and Clarkson.

Not even getting into the fact that he played in a system that is tailor made for point guards to rack up assists Marshall was other wise terrible. Couldn't hit an open shot to save his life, God awful defensively, and couldn't get past anyone off the dribble.

Clarkson did all of those things pretty well and got out in transition and made plays on the break. Defensively he still needs a lot of work, but he wasn't nearly as bad as Marshall.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I seem to remember Phil mentioning that he wished the team hadn't traded away those players before he became coach. Elden Campbell would've been a really good backup center too if he weren't so overpaid. Instead we had to slog through the threepeat with basically no real backup for Shaq. But could those guys have helped extend the run beyond those 3 championships? I doubt it.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Sting wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Sting wrote:

I don't see how you can compare Marshall and Clarkson.

Not even getting into the fact that he played in a system that is tailor made for point guards to rack up assists Marshall was other wise terrible. Couldn't hit an open shot to save his life, God awful defensively, and couldn't get past anyone off the dribble.

Clarkson did all of those things pretty well and got out in transition and made plays on the break. Defensively he still needs a lot of work, but he wasn't nearly as bad as Marshall.

Again, I didn't watch a lot of it. The only similarities that gnaw at me is that they weren't winning with him playing well and the games were totally meaningless. Does his positive play carry over to next season when Kobe and an unknown free agent are starting? I just can't help but wonder about that.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Not best lineup... but best overall lineup?
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Phil still would've signed Ron Harper, played Brian Shaw major minutes and does ANYONE truly believe Elden Campbell would've grasped the triangle?
For all the crap he gets Glen Rice was a knock down shooter that the triangle and Shaq needed. And we got Horace Grant for Rice the next offseason.
And trading EDDIE didn't ruin the 99 season, going through Rambis and Harris as coaches, playing Derek Harper and not playing Ruben Patterson, and signing Dennis Rodman ruined it
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: