Tim Tebow will sign with the Philadelphia Eagles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Tim Tebow will sign with the Philadelphia Eagles

First Take will be interesting tomorrow

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/19/eagles-signing-tebow-on-monday/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Quote:
Eagles signing Tebow on Monday

He’s back.

After a two-season exile, the man who took the Broncos to the divisional round in 2011 before being summarily dumped for Peyton Manning will have a new job in the NFL.

Per Jay Glazer of FOX Sports, Tim Tebow will sign with the Eagles on Monday. (Yes, Glazer has the scoop, even though Tebow works for ESPN.)

Traded to the Jets in March 2012, Tebow had a single, disastrous season in New York. Cut by the Jets, the Patriots gave him a look in the 2013 offseason, training camp, and preseason. Tebow didn’t make the 53-man roster, and he hasn’t been heard from again.

The Eagles gave Tebow a workout on March 16, and they reportedly would be inclined to sign him only if Matt Barkley were traded. Barkley hasn’t been traded, and the connection never made sense; with 90 roster spots in the offseason and plenty of quarterbacks needed to distribute the ball during practice sessions.

Tebow arrives with the opening of the offseason program in Philadelphia, rejoining Mark Sanchez and a depth chart that also includes Sam Bradford, Barkley, and G.J. Kinne. With Bradford still rehabbing a torn ACL suffered last August, Tebow becomes as a practical matter the fourth quarterback who is able to participate in practice session that will begin after a two-week lifting/conditioning period.
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Not sure why so many people hate on Tebow.

He's not everyone's ideal quarterback, but he works hard. He's a good guy by all accounts. He's chasing his dream. I, for one, hope he does well.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject:

He must have a good agent.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Yes! The world is a better place.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject:

madsen35 wrote:

He's not everyone's ideal quarterback, but he works hard. He's a good guy by all accounts. He's chasing his dream. I, for one, hope he does well.

It's because he's unashamedly an outspoken Christian.

There are other players of similar skill level that don't get anywhere near the level of hate. People just don't really care about them very much. If those players have fans... oh well. No big deal.

For Tebow it's a crime to be a fan of his and it's a crime for him to continue to work hard and pursue his goal.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:

I used to like Tebow because of his work ethic but got tired of him. He may hard but he doesn't work smart. Everyone knows the reasons why he wasn't/wont be a good NFL QB and he didn't really address those weaknesses and reinvent his game. He just worked harder and being better at what no one wanted in the first place. He's too prideful and then acts like he's the victim; no, you're stubborn. Either allow someone to mold you into a decent QB or switch positions- something that numerous coaches said they would love to sign him if he did.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
madsen35 wrote:

There are other players of similar skill level that don't get anywhere near the level of hate. People just don't really care about them very much. If those players have fans... oh well. No big deal.

For Tebow it's a crime to be a fan of his and it's a crime for him to continue to work hard and pursue his goal.

If I had to guess I'd say most NFL players are devout Christians.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
madsen35 wrote:

And if they expressed it as outwardly as Tebow, they'd be attacked too.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
ocho wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
madsen35 wrote:

And if they expressed it as outwardly as Tebow, they'd be attacked too.

There's a lot of elements to the Tebow thing. Turning his religion into a sideshow is one of them, but it's also his lack of talent in relation to his media coverage. Plenty of players are outwardly religious. Kurt Warner comes to mind. So your premise doesn't really hold up.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject:

^ True. Isn't Russell Wilson too?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ True. Isn't Russell Wilson too?

Russell Wilson doesn't count. Well, not in the same way for me anyway.

It is funny when you think about it. I'm not religious at all, but, it's acceptable to bag on someone for being outwardly Christian but you better not dare make a comment about someone being Muslim or Jewish.

For me, I think I just get annoyed by anyone who thanks God for their good performances. He isn't any more responsible for your good game than he is for Tebow's bad games.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject:

^ I think it's how it's presented though. He does it in a way that seems kind of like "look at how good a person I am. I'm such a good Christian", which of course isn't a fact, just how I see it and I think a lot of people do as well.

On the flip side, you have a guy like Sandy Koufax who was openly not a very devout jew but refused to play a world series on Yom Kippor because he wanted to set a good example for jewish children throughout the country. I find that honorable because even though he probably didn't care about the holiday, he did what he thought was right and put the faith above anything. With Tebow it feels like an attention grab, similar to Michael Sam, IMO, using the fact that he's gay to get more attention but acting like he's gonna be the next Jackie Robinson.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject:

I believe the feelings of contempt (and sometimes ridicule, mockery or excessive criticism) directed at guys like Tebow and Jimmer Fredette have very little to do with the actual person / player, but very much to do with the type of rabid supporters that tend to congregate (pun intended) around them ...
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
I believe the feelings of contempt (and sometimes ridicule, mockery or excessive criticism) directed at guys like Tebow and Jimmer Fredette have very little to do with the actual person / player, but very much to do with the type of rabid supporters that tend to congregate (pun intended) around them ...

You mean like our own Jermey Lin? Who most like, but find his jockers uber annoying? I personally like both Tebow and Jeremy, but find their jockers
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
the association wrote:

You mean like our own Jermey Lin? Who most like, but find his jockers uber annoying? I personally like both Tebow and Jeremy, but find their jockers

Yeah, I guess Lin is another ... if we all think about it, we can probably cobble together a list of 15 - 20 guys across multiple sports who fit the bill.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
the association wrote:

Lin is a good example, though he's far better at his sport than Tebow is. Lin is also extremely religious, and nobody dislikes him for it. He doesn't choose to make a spectacle of his faith, which is a key difference.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
the association wrote:

Lin is a good example, though he's far better at his sport than Tebow is. Lin is also extremely religious, and nobody dislikes him for it. He doesn't choose to make a spectacle of his faith, which is a key difference.

There are also some notable examples of professional athletes (e.g., the late Reggie White of NFL fame) who consistently featured their faith as a central aspect of their public persona, yet never managed to rile the masses the way Tebow and Jimmer have ...

Unless the guy has a completely disagreeable personality (e.g., Bryce Harper), I really think it's always about the fans ...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ I think it's how it's presented though. He does it in a way that seems kind of like "look at how good a person I am. I'm such a good Christian", which of course isn't a fact, just how I see it and I think a lot of people do as well.

On the flip side, you have a guy like Sandy Koufax who was openly not a very devout jew but refused to play a world series on Yom Kippor because he wanted to set a good example for jewish children throughout the country. I find that honorable because even though he probably didn't care about the holiday, he did what he thought was right and put the faith above anything. With Tebow it feels like an attention grab, similar to Michael Sam, IMO, using the fact that he's gay to get more attention but acting like he's gonna be the next Jackie Robinson.

Yeah, though, I think it's a bit different. Koufax is an all-time great. If Tebow or Sam were any good, I'm sure people would view them differently a la Kurt Warner.

You could be supporting Koufax or Warner because they're good and not because of their faith. With Tebow or Sam, it should be plainly obvious why most people were backing such poor talents. And that is kind of annoying, for me anyway.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

I think the fact that Chip Kelly is signing all of these QB's who used to be good in college but haven't done much in the pros is him trying to find somebody to run his system and hoping one of them is a diamond in the rough. Also the reason most NFL teams and fans don't think much of Tebow is that he is useless when it comes to passing the ball. He can't throw a spiral and the only reason he had much success in college is because Florida ran the option offense, which relies mostly on running the ball, not passing. As far as comparisons to Kurt Waner, Kurt was probably even more devoted to Christianity as Tebow, except on the football field he was a way better passing QB. 3 Superbowl appearances, 1 Super Bowl ring, 1 Super Bowl MVP, 4 Pro Bowl appearances, and will be in the NFL Hall of Fame in the future.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject:

Listening to First Take this morning. SAS was cracking up over someone saying, he can throw a spiral now. Maybe in the two years past Tim's been working on throwing the ball.

Chip Kelly's been looking for someone to run his pass option. Tim is use to it. He ran it a FSU. Maybe they're a good match.

Good luck Tim.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Listening to First Take this morning. SAS was cracking up over someone saying, he can throw a spiral now. Maybe in the two years past Tim's been working on throwing the ball.

Chip Kelly's been looking for someone to run his pass option. Tim is use to it. He ran it a FSU. Maybe they're a good match.

Good luck Tim.

Yeah, but those years of being away from the game will hurt him. I'm sure he's kept some sort of workout regiment trying to get back into the game, but there is no replacement for actual playing time.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:

Prediction... Eagles will try the most 2 point conversion attempts if Tebow makes the team.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Good luck Tim.

Yeah, but those years of being away from the game will hurt him. I'm sure he's kept some sort of workout regiment trying to get back into the game, but there is no replacement for actual playing time.

I hope he's given a better shot in Philly than he was in New York. Patience and wiliness to face his demons is key. His williness to earn the position and not expect it to be given to him is tantamount to his success.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Good luck Tim.

I hope he's given a better shot in Philly than he was in New York. Patience and wiliness to face his demons is key. His williness to earn the position and not expect it to be given to him is tantamount to his success.

Are you saying he wasn't willing to earn it??
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
jodeke wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Good luck Tim.

Are you saying he wasn't willing to earn it??

No

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: