If ShowTime Lakers played today
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dylandogg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: If ShowTime Lakers played today

Season is over for the Lakers. Play offs are boring, and the F'ing Celtics are still in it. And as ironic as it may be, I want them to beat the Cav's. My dad is rolling in his grave.

So, since there is nothing to cheer for until May 19th, and as I have had more than my share of wine, let's go to the land of make believe.

The Show Time Lakers are brought to the present, with a modern day philosophy coach (think small ball). What is your starting 5 and how do they compete.

PG - Cooper - can D up as well as any player in the league on today's point guards and still provide 3 point shooting, etc.

SG - Scott- would still be a borderline all star in todays NBA

SF - Magic - Run the offense from the SF position. May have some weakness at D, but will post up at will and still run the show time offense. Can still spread the floor with his outside shooting.

PF - Worthy - A fantastic rebounder, solid D against todays PF's, and would score at will.

C - KAJ - Is there even a center in the league today that compares? Dump it into the post and if he is double teamed, he has 4 players he can pass out to for the open shot.

Name a current team that can beat them.

Dylan
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject:

I think they'd get beaten more than people think. Guys today are stronger and faster. I doubt they would win as many games.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: If ShowTime Lakers played today

Dylandogg wrote:
Season is over for the Lakers. Play offs are boring, and the F'ing Celtics are still in it. And as ironic as it may be, I want them to beat the Cav's. My dad is rolling in his grave.

So, since there is nothing to cheer for until May 19th, and as I have had more than my share of wine, let's go to the land of make believe.

The Show Time Lakers are brought to the present, with a modern day philosophy coach (think small ball). What is your starting 5 and how do they compete.

PG - Cooper - can D up as well as any player in the league on today's point guards and still provide 3 point shooting, etc.

SF - Magic - Run the offense from the SF position. May have some weakness at D, but will post up at will and still run the show time offense. Can still spread the floor with his outside shooting.

PF - Worthy - A fantastic rebounder, solid D against todays PF's, and would score at will.

C - KAJ - Is there even a center in the league today that compares? Dump it into the post and if he is double teamed, he has 4 players he can pass out to for the open shot.

Dylan
Yeah that is about right. Today, Byron would be considered a borderline combo guard, but fast enough to defend point guards. Magic would rarely have to defend the opponents best wing player with Cooper there either. Worthy don't have the three point shot to play the 3 today so he would be better utilized as a 4.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject:

Different Eras.

More guys could defend Magic and Worthy. Byron is undersized. Kareem is old. Guy like Cooper would have his hands full w/the touch fouls.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: If ShowTime Lakers played today

Dylandogg wrote:

Dylan

I don't know why you'd want Coop at PG and leave Magic at SF. Magic is far and away the best passer the game has ever seen. You want the ball in his hands as much as possible. Coop was a good backup PG back in the day, but absolutely nothing special on the offensive side. I can't think of a scenario where Coop starts. If anything, he should be the backup SF in today's game.

PG-Magic- all time top 5 type player, greatest passer ever. Norm Nixon off the bench

SG-B. Scott. He benefited greatly by playing alongside Magic. He needs someone like Magic and the others to draw defenders. He didn't have great handles. But, he was an exceptional shooter and spread the floor well. He and Magic would be almost as effective today as they were back then on the offensive side of the ball. Coop off the bench.

SF-Worthy- Exceptional post and transition player. Decent midrange J. Long, even now for SF.Wilkes off the bench

PF- Mychael Thompson-Still a legit starting PF in today's game and possibly an all-star with the right team. Size, down low presence, Defense. He was the full package. People forget how good he was. Mitch off the bench.

C-KAJ. No need to say more. McAdoo off the bench.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject:

The Showtime guys would have to learn how to play hands-off defense and how to defend the rim in the protected area. Once over that, I'd think any of the rosters from '80 through '89 would contend for a deep playoff run. Nixon's game - drive, drive, drive - would translate even better in today's era.

The more interesting question might be which of today's teams would contend best in the 80s period.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Different Eras.

More guys could defend Magic and Worthy. Byron is undersized. Kareem is old. Guy like Cooper would have his hands full w/the touch fouls.

Exactly. I mean, we're talking about a center who weighed then, about 10 lbs less than Carmelo Anthony does now. Sure, he'd still get his buckets, but not with more efficiency than he did in his time, probably less.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject:

can they bring the rules from the 80s too or would they have to play today's p.... ball?
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject:

Nobody. I don't care what era you're talking about. That team ain't losing to anyone.

We had by far and away the best point guard in the game. The best big man who aged gracefully because of incredibly skill and a non reliance on quickness and athleticism.

Coop was one of the greatest perimeter defenders of all time. Scott was one of those guys during the rare moments that James, Magic, and KAJ weren't going could pick us up and get us going.

Worthy was a terrific two way player and one of the most underrated players of all time.

Yes it would've been tougher with how much more athletic today's players are, but still their overwhelming skill would be too much for anyone to defeat.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

they'd be the favorite to win it all...
Magic ran showtime offensively as good if not better than current Spurs or LeBron led team
KAJ is better than any bigmen today (including Duncan)
role players (3pt shooters) in place
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

Byron shooting 3s in today's NBA...the irony.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: If ShowTime Lakers played today

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
Dylandogg wrote:

Dylan

I don't know why you'd want Coop at PG and leave Magic at SF. Magic is far and away the best passer the game has ever seen. You want the ball in his hands as much as possible. Coop was a good backup PG back in the day, but absolutely nothing special on the offensive side. I can't think of a scenario where Coop starts. If anything, he should be the backup SF in today's game.

PG-Magic- all time top 5 type player, greatest passer ever. Norm Nixon off the bench

SG-B. Scott. He benefited greatly by playing alongside Magic. He needs someone like Magic and the others to draw defenders. He didn't have great handles. But, he was an exceptional shooter and spread the floor well. He and Magic would be almost as effective today as they were back then on the offensive side of the ball. Coop off the bench.

SF-Worthy- Exceptional post and transition player. Decent midrange J. Long, even now for SF.Wilkes off the bench

PF- Mychael Thompson-Still a legit starting PF in today's game and possibly an all-star with the right team. Size, down low presence, Defense. He was the full package. People forget how good he was. Mitch off the bench.

C-KAJ. No need to say more. McAdoo off the bench.

THIS.

The major advantages are Magic and the often overlooked KAJ.

Magic is LBJ before LBJ. But an even better passer. One of the best passers ever. As a 6'9" true PG, he's a huge match up problem for any team.

Kareem may be of slighter build than some of today's players, but he had the most unstoppable shot in the history of the game, period. If your name isn't Wilt Chamberlain, you shouldn't even bother trying to block it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I think they'd get beaten more than people think. Guys today are stronger and faster. I doubt they would win as many games.

This is always the cross era dilemma. If you take them as is, then I agree. If you assume they have the same access to training and such, then I think they are still dominant, because their inherent talent isn't degraded in such an evolutionary nanosecond.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
Nobody. I don't care what era you're talking about. That team ain't losing to anyone.

We had by far and away the best point guard in the game. The best big man who aged gracefully because of incredibly skill and a non reliance on quickness and athleticism.

Coop was one of the greatest perimeter defenders of all time. Scott was one of those guys during the rare moments that James, Magic, and KAJ weren't going could pick us up and get us going.

Worthy was a terrific two way player and one of the most underrated players of all time.

Yes it would've been tougher with how much more athletic today's players are, but still their overwhelming skill would be too much for anyone to defeat.

They lost to the new era Pistons in 89'. Pistons were the early incarnation of Pat Riley's NY Knick physical style defense which forced the NBA to put in rule changes.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

This is always the cross era dilemma. If you take them as is, then I agree. If you assume they have the same access to training and such, then I think they are still dominant, because their inherent talent isn't degraded in such an evolutionary nanosecond.

So, if Wilt Chamberlin had access to modern day training, would it even be legal for him to play in the NBA?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Yah but if you gave them access to today's training then they weren't yesterday's showtime team either so you'd be comparing two different teams.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject:

An interesting question. The prime Showtime Lakers of 1987 would have difficulties against today's bigger and/or quicker athletes, but would have definite advantages of their own.

Magic -
Advantages: Overpowering passer for position, based on height and skill set. Could post up any opposing point-man not named LeBron. Outstanding rebounder at position, worth an extra 2-3 seconds on every transition play. Improved outside shot (by 1987 season) makes him a floor-spacing threat. High 80s FT percentage makes him extra-clutch.
Disadvantages: Could not effectively guard waterbugs back in 1987 like Stockton and Isiah Thomas in his prime; guys like Chris Paul and Westbrook would eat him up unless Scott switched onto them. New strong-side illegal D rules could clog up his passing lanes.

Scott -
Advantages: A rarity today - an outside sniper, a terrific finisher, AND a solid defender. More all-around skills than most gunners today.
Disadvantages: At an in-shoes height of 6-4, also shorter than most gunners today. Would most likely have to cross-guard opposing PGs, which could eat up some of his energy on offense.

Worthy -
Advantages: Still a top-flight size-speed ration at the position. Has the post skills most modern SFs lack. Powerful finisher in transition. Underrated defense, can chase players through and around screens, and solid help defender. Modern hand-check rules help him even more.
Disadvantages: Modern illegal-D rules balance that out. Not a modern-day floor-spacer, as he has no 3-ball. May have to burn fuel on D chasing SF gunners.

Green -
Advantages: Would be surprisingly effective as a spacer-4, as had a decent midrange and baseline shot. Quickness and speed for position all up to current standards.
Disadvantages: 6-9 w/ shoes, 6-8 w/o shoes, so undersized in a world of 6-10 and 6-11 PFs. His regular hair product may also be on the banned substances list, too. Not a dominant rebounder or shot-blocker, so less weakside D for Showtime team compared to modern era.

Abdul-Jabbar -
Advantages: Unstoppable hook shot. Dominant skills advantage working the post against people who don't know how to play it anymore outside of Tim Duncan. Weightlifting and yoga regimen already on par with many players in the league today. Solid post-passer.
Disadvantages: Might burn energy on D against midrange/ outside shooting centers and PFs. A lot of big, bruising centers today may also wear him down. Illegal-D rules also might hamper his effectiveness scoring or passing against multi-angled double teams.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Jim Buss.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

So, if Wilt Chamberlin had access to modern day training, would it even be legal for him to play in the NBA?

Wilt would probably be spending too much time in court for paternity suits to play.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Wilt would probably be spending too much time in court for paternity suits to play.

I know Wilt.

And Dwight Howard, you sir are no Wilt Chamberlin.
tony smith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

82-0
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

If it's modern NBA standards, you still have an elite PG and elite PF.

You also, arguably, have one of the fastest teams in the league. They forced turnovers by cutting into passing lanes, not by being a more physical defensive team.

Also, highly disagree Worthy was a great rebounder. Magic got the defensive rebounds for him so that Worthy could play wide receiver.

What would make it tough for every team in the league, is that Kareem shot 55% or greater taking hook shots 8'-12' away from the basket, drawing doubles away from the painted area.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:

Green -
Advantages: Would be surprisingly effective as a spacer-4, as had a decent midrange and baseline shot. Quickness and speed for position all up to current standards.
Disadvantages: 6-9 w/ shoes, 6-8 w/o shoes, so undersized in a world of 6-10 and 6-11 PFs. His regular hair product may also be on the banned substances list, too. Not a dominant rebounder or shot-blocker, so less weakside D for Showtime team compared to modern era.

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

They'd have spacing issues in the modern NBA, but I think it's a silly question. They were constructed for their era.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

They lost to the new era Pistons in 89'. Pistons were the early incarnation of Pat Riley's NY Knick physical style defense which forced the NBA to put in rule changes.

With the starting backcourt out with injury.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: