Mike Budenholzer named Coach of the Year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Mike Budenholzer named Coach of the Year

Quote:
Hawks' Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year
Warriors' Steve Kerr finishes close second

The Atlanta Hawks' Mike Budenholzer, who guided the team to the best regular season in franchise history, is the recipient of the Red Auerbach Trophy as the 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year, the NBA announced today.

Budenholzer received 67 first-place votes and 513 total points from a panel of 130 sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada. The Golden State Warriors' Steve Kerr, who led the Pacific Division champions to a franchise-record and NBA-high 67 victories in his first season as an NBA coach, finished second with 56 first-place votes and 471 total points. Jason Kidd of the Milwaukee Bucks was third with one first-place vote and 57 total points. Coaches were awarded five points for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third-place vote.

Budenholzer led Atlanta to a 60-22 record in his second season, three games better than the previous team high of 57-25 set in 1986-87 and matched in 1993-94. The Hawks earned both the No. 1 playoff seed in the Eastern Conference and a division title (Southeast Division) for the first time since 1993-94 -- the last season they had the NBA Coach of the Year (Lenny Wilkens). Atlanta made the playoffs for the eighth consecutive year, the longest active streak in the East.

After posting a 38-44 record last season, Budenholzer oversaw a 22-win improvement rooted in balance on offense and teamwork on defense. According to NBA.com/Stats, Atlanta tied for sixth in the league in offensive rating (points scored per 100 possessions) and ranked seventh in defensive rating (points allowed per 100 possessions). Six players averaged double figures in scoring, but none eclipsed 17 points per game. The Hawks set a franchise record for three-pointers with 818, ranked second in the NBA in assists (25.7 apg) and finished in the top five in field goal percentage (fourth), three-point field goal percentage (second) and free throw percentage (fifth).

Atlanta opened the season 5-5 before winning 35 of its next 38 games, a stretch that included a franchise-record 19-game winning streak. The 35-3 run also featured a 17-0 January, the best calendar month in NBA history and a perfect run that earned the Hawks' starting five the Kia NBA Eastern Conference Player of the Month and Budenholzer his second NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month award of the season. The honors continued when a team-record four Hawks players were selected to the NBA All-Star Game, coached on the East team by Budenholzer.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

He did a great job, but I would've given it to Kerr.

I know people will argue Kerr had the superior roster and he did, but he plays in a much, much better conference and that team was only a good team before he got there. Pretty much what Atlanta has been for years. A good team, but nowhere near being a championship contender.

Now they're the best team in the league. His offensive philosophy is so much better than the previous coach's and very similar to that of the Spurs. As good as Curry and Thompson is you rarely see them isolate. Most of their shots are coming off pin downs and within the flow of the offense. It's really beautiful to watch elite players playing within an offense structure.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

well deserved. Kerr inherited an already stacked GS team, nothing special there.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
well deserved. Kerr inherited an already stacked GS team, nothing special there.

Agreed, well-deserved; kudos to Mike Budenholzer!

The GSW were stocked, Duece could have coached them into the playoffs.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject:

Kerr is not getting enough credit IMO

I can't knock Budenholzer getting the award since he's deserving too, but Kerr could have easily had that team with a 70 win season had they not rested players.

They were stacked, but they never would have reached that potential with Mark Jackson as HC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

The same 'stacked' team was a 6 seed last year. Adding Kerr turned them from a 51 win team/1st round exit to a historic 67 win title favorite. Coach Bud did a great job with Atlanta but not giving the award to Kerr seems silly.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
pio2u wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

The same 'stacked' team was a 6 seed last year. Adding Kerr turned them from a 51 win team/1st round exit to a historic 67 win title favorite. Coach Bud did a great job with Atlanta but not giving the award to Kerr seems silly.

I could go either way. The Warriors improved by 16 wins, the Hawks by 22 wins. They both jumped in offensive and defensive ratings. I don't think either is a wrong choice, and I'm not surprised it was a close vote.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Kerr could have easily had that team with a 70 win season had they not rested players.

You can't give a guy credit for stuff that didn't happen. For all we know, the rest is what made the team effective and if you played them more, the team would have won fewer games
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
22 wrote:
Kerr could have easily had that team with a 70 win season had they not rested players.

You can't give a guy credit for stuff that didn't happen. For all we know, the rest is what made the team effective and if you played them more, the team would have won fewer games

The only rest any player got on that team was Draymond Green's 2 games and avoiding an @Denver b2b, and they won them all

Atlanta on the other hand lost 4 or 5 games to rest (like philly, where he rested the whole starting lineup, and their last 3 games)
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
22 wrote:

Not really, it's not a huge leap to make. Regardless, doesn't change my stance. 67 wins in the west this year is highly impressive.

Bud is deserving so I won't complain. I just think Kerr is more so
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
activeverb wrote:
22 wrote:

The only rest any player got on that team was Draymond Green's 2 games and avoiding an @Denver b2b, and they won them all

Atlanta on the other hand lost 4 or 5 games to rest (like philly, where he rested the whole starting lineup, and their last 3 games)

I think he meant "rest" in terms of limiting their number of minutes, rather than sitting them out whole games.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I can't knock Budenholzer getting the award since he's deserving too, but Kerr could have easily had that team with a 70 win season had they not rested players.

They were stacked, but they never would have reached that potential with Mark Jackson as HC

I'm not sure he isn't getting enough credit. Bud barely nudged out Kerr.

67 vs 56 first place votes and 513 vs 471 total points.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Yes Kerr already had the talent but how can you call 67 wins not special? It's only happened a few times in NBA history. I would have voted for Budenholzer but Kerr is also deserving.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject:

No brainer, even though Kerr maximized the Warriors this year, nobody could've predicted the Hawks would have the best record in the east, especially for a franchise that is used to 1st round playoff exits and mediocrity.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:

You couldn't go wrong with either Kerr or Budenholzer but I'd give it to Budenholzer because the Hawks were never expected to be contenders .. ever.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to Budenholzer.
The fact that he started out as a film coordinator makes his rise even more admirable.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Atlanta looked like they were coasting at the end of the season and still won 60 games. I think they would have won more too if they pushed themselves harder.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:

I know people will argue Kerr had the superior roster and he did, but he plays in a much, much better conference and that team was only a good team before he got there. Pretty much what Atlanta has been for years. A good team, but nowhere near being a championship contender.

Now they're the best team in the league. His offensive philosophy is so much better than the previous coach's and very similar to that of the Spurs. As good as Curry and Thompson is you rarely see them isolate. Most of their shots are coming off pin downs and within the flow of the offense. It's really beautiful to watch elite players playing within an offense structure.

Atlanta was not a good team. They were 38-44. Calling them average would be generous. Some would even say that record is bad.

Atlanta in 2014 was 6-7 in January, 2-10 in February, 6-10 in March and 6-3 in April. They were 20-30 in the last 50 games. They never would have been close to being a playoff team in the West. Golden State with 51 wins was much better than them. It was not even close.

Last edited by Steve007 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject:

The man deserves it, did a great job with the Hawks.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
pio2u wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I think Kerr is a clear second. The Warriors were a good team with 51 wins. The Hawks were below average and didn't even win 40 games. Golden State was a first round exit because the West was stacked. I think they were good enough to win the East.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Well deserved. Many knew the Dubs were gonna be nice. No one saw the Hawks winning 60.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Congrats to Budenholzer.
The fact that he started out as a film coordinator makes his rise even more admirable.

Mike Brown likes this.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Congrats to Budenholzer.

Mike Brown likes this.

We chose the wrong Mike.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

Atlanta was not a good team. They were 38-44. Calling them average would be generous. Some would even say that record is bad.

Atlanta in 2014 was 6-7 in January, 2-10 in February, 6-10 in March and 6-3 in April. They were 20-30 in the last 50 games. They never would have been close to being a playoff team in the West. Golden State with 51 wins was much better than them. It was not even close.

They were probably closer to a 48 win team, Horford did miss most of last year (those last 50 games and change) and he makes a several game difference.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

They were probably closer to a 48 win team, Horford did miss most of last year (those last 50 games and change) and he makes a several game difference.

I could buy more wins and the idea that they were over .500 with him, but I'm not sure about 48 wins. They didn't win 48 the season before last season either.

Also, if we're going to look at injuries, I think Golden State was better than a 51 win team if they had fewer injuries to some of their key players. I remember some people picking them to win the division and finish ahead of the Clippers at the start of that 51 win season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: