Mike Budenholzer named Coach of the Year
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Telleris wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
He did a great job, but I would've given it to Kerr.

I know people will argue Kerr had the superior roster and he did, but he plays in a much, much better conference and that team was only a good team before he got there. Pretty much what Atlanta has been for years. A good team, but nowhere near being a championship contender.

Now they're the best team in the league. His offensive philosophy is so much better than the previous coach's and very similar to that of the Spurs. As good as Curry and Thompson is you rarely see them isolate. Most of their shots are coming off pin downs and within the flow of the offense. It's really beautiful to watch elite players playing within an offense structure.

Atlanta was not a good team. They were 38-44. Calling them average would be generous. Some would even say that record is bad.

Atlanta in 2014 was 6-7 in January, 2-10 in February, 6-10 in March and 6-3 in April. They were 20-30 in the last 50 games. They never would have been close to being a playoff team in the West. Golden State with 51 wins was much better than them. It was not even close.

They were probably closer to a 48 win team, Horford did miss most of last year (those last 50 games and change) and he makes a several game difference.

I could buy more wins and the idea that they were over .500 with him, but I'm not sure about 48 wins. They didn't win 48 the season before last season either.

Also, if we're going to look at injuries, I think Golden State was better than a 51 win team if they had fewer injuries to some of their key players. I remember some people picking them to win the division and finish ahead of the Clippers at the start of that 51 win season.

Everything that was wrong with that Warriors team was David Lee, and Mark Jackson playing him, especially that roll him out at center in crunch time (it sucked and it lost them half a dozen games), replacing him basically entirely with Draymond Green is far and away the biggest improvement in that team.

Atlanta though, 45-48 win last year with a healthy Al, but then they were a 65 win team this year that basically went full rest mode in the last month (No tangible difference between 65 wins and 60 wins, and i think he deserves credit for the way they softly landed into the 2nd best record), I'd give some wins to the improvement in Schroeder and small additions, but i think them finally clicking with Bud's system is worth probably 10 games, which is a massive impact for a coach.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

Kerr was great but what Atlanta did this year was pretty crazy considering their roster talent.

Phil won 67 games in his first year back in 99-00 and didnt win it. Both teams have the same talent level compared to the other teams in their respective years.

Did I think Phil should have won it back then? of course! but i understand why he did not.
g3rb3r
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject:

I was a bit surprised, honestly thought that Kerr was going to win it.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Nnamdi21 wrote:
Kerr was great but what Atlanta did this year was pretty crazy considering their roster talent.

Phil won 67 games in his first year back in 99-00 and didnt win it. Both teams have the same talent level compared to the other teams in their respective years.

Did I think Phil should have won it back then? of course! but i understand why he did not.

Phil lost it to a guy who won 41 games and missed the playoffs. I thought Doc Rivers was a much weaker candidate than the Hawks coach. I think Phil was robbed.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: