"And I am a breakfast defector"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "And I am a breakfast defector"

jodeke wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
This has got to be one of the worst ad campaigns ever.

You say it's "got to be one of the worst ad campaigns ever" but hasn't it done what commercials are supposed to do, bring attention to a product? It chose a high profile personality, James Harden, to lead the charge.

I think it's contrived brilliance. I think people who make commercials do it with a plan to target.

When you are tasked with an advertising campaign, getting attention is certainly one goal. But as many an advertiser has discovered, attention doesn't mean squat if it doesn't actually drive consumers to your product.

Look at the reactions in this thread. Do you get the idea that anyone is running off to Taco Bell for breakfast because of the ad?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "And I am a breakfast defector"

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

You say it's "got to be one of the worst ad campaigns ever" but hasn't it done what commercials are supposed to do, bring attention to a product? It chose a high profile personality, James Harden, to lead the charge.

I think it's contrived brilliance. I think people who make commercials do it with a plan to target.

When you are tasked with an advertising campaign, getting attention is certainly one goal. But as many an advertiser has discovered, attention doesn't mean squat if it doesn't actually drive consumers to your product.

Look at the reactions in this thread. Do you get the idea that anyone is running off to Taco Bell for breakfast because of the ad?

I don't know, my Internet stalker. Let me ask. Anyone thinking about running off to Taco Bell for breakfast?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "And I am a breakfast defector"

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

I don't know, my Internet stalker. Let me ask. Anyone thinking about running off to Taco Bell for breakfast?

Flatter yourself much?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "And I am a breakfast defector"

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Flatter yourself much?

Nope.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
The weirdest commercial currently running is the strange Buick Ad where the couple is spying on their neighbors with binoculars and the wife says "lucky her" about the neighbors wife when seeing the neighbor husband.

Not sure why you find that "weird". It was a pretty funny joke for a commercial. It's typically the dude's scoping on the hot chick. It was a clever to turn the tables on that kind of stereotype and let the woman gawk for once.

Interesting take.

I took it as her saying to her husband that she could be so lucky if he bought a Buick for them.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "And I am a breakfast defector"

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Flatter yourself much?

Nope.

It was a rhetorical question.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "And I am a breakfast defector"

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Flatter yourself much?

Nope.

OK George, my high school best friend.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: "And I am a breakfast defector"

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Flatter yourself much?

Nope.

OK George, my high school best friend.

The Off Topic section can be summarized in three formats: Cops, TV/Movies, DMR vs. jodeke.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
The weirdest commercial currently running is the strange Buick Ad where the couple is spying on their neighbors with binoculars and the wife says "lucky her" about the neighbors wife when seeing the neighbor husband.

Not sure why you find that "weird". It was a pretty funny joke for a commercial. It's typically the dude's scoping on the hot chick. It was a clever to turn the tables on that kind of stereotype and let the woman gawk for once.

I just thought it was an odd idea for a marketing plan featuring a couple spying on their two neighbors with binoculars and then the wife indicating that the other lady was "lucky" either for getting a new Buick or having a more manly husband than her glasses wearing, binoculars holding non-Buick owning guy.

So she is admiring the Buick or the swarthy neighbor? Just seemed odd to me.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject:

To Jodeke:

Interesting take, but bad press is worse than no press at all isn't it? I've spread the "breakfast defecator" joke to several of my friends and they all laughed and scoffed at the idea of wrecking your intestines with Taco Bell in the morning.

Plus, one of them had a funny comment: "if you are getting breakfast at Taco Bell you're getting breakfast...so aren't you NOT a breakfast defector?!"
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
To Jodeke:

Interesting take, but bad press is worse than no press at all isn't it? I've spread the "breakfast defecator" joke to several of my friends and they all laughed and scoffed at the idea of wrecking your intestines with Taco Bell in the morning.

Plus, one of them had a funny comment: "if you are getting breakfast at Taco Bell you're getting breakfast...so aren't you NOT a breakfast defector?!"

I didn't know they were getting bad press.

We're discussing the commercial on LG. How many other places is it being discussed. If it is a conversation in other places, hasn't the commercial done what it's supposed to, bring attention to a product?

Wrecking your intestines in the morning is a knock on Taco Bell that really has nothing to do with the commercial. Jack, Mickey D's, Taco Bell, Wendy's and most fast food will wreck your intestines in the morning, won't they?

Subliminal seduction?

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: "And I am a breakfast defector"

Don Draper wrote:

Alright Don Draper, how would you sell Taco Bell for breakfast?

Ponder that one while you down your Old Fashioneds.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:

It's a good devil's advocate argument, I just don't know anybody who is heading to Taco Bell because of the ad. Their goal clearly was to get people to try and permanently switch from Egg McMuffin's to Breakfast Crunchwraps, and it'll take more than getting some forum recognition to do that.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: "And I am a breakfast defector"

DancingBarry wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

"It ain't rocket science. It ain't physics. It's crunchwraps."

Peyton Manning stares at the camera and takes a big bite.

"Taco Bell. (bleep) breakfast. *ding*"
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject:

I'm also surprised they didn't reuse their "4th meal" campaign and re-dub breakfast as "1st meal," since nobody is ever going to associate the actual term "break-fast" with a taco joint.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
It's a good devil's advocate argument, I just don't know anybody who is heading to Taco Bell because of the ad. Their goal clearly was to get people to try and permanently switch from Egg McMuffin's to Breakfast Crunchwraps, and it'll take more than getting some forum recognition to do that.

Actually, that isn't true. It's not a direct response ad.

The ultimate goal is to get people to switch, but the ad isn't designed to make the switch to happen immediately. The ad appears to be geared more towards an awareness and consideration play which typically result in delayed, though more sustained, sales.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

There are 318.9 million people in the U.S. How many do you know.

I believe you are right when you say Taco Bell is attempting to capture the morning crowd.

Honestly, they have me curious.

I don't have the numbers but I think Egg Mac is leading the charge for morning breakfast and Jack is closing in fast.

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: "And I am a breakfast defector"

DancingBarry wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Family Breakfast at Taco Bell, of course.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Don Draper wrote:

Actually, that isn't true. It's not a direct response ad.

The ultimate goal is to get people to switch, but the ad isn't designed to make the switch to happen immediately. The ad appears to be geared more towards an awareness and consideration play which typically result in delayed, though more sustained, sales.

Damn I regretted my anecdotal reference as soon as I wrote it. You and Jodeke are right to criticize that, but you also know what I meant. I mean, this isn't 1984, people have some choice. They'll choose the crunchwrap over time if it's consistently good, not because they believe they are "defecting" from an Egg McMuffin.

You're also right that all ads are good if they draw attention, but I wasn't disputing that in the OP. Just the idea that being a "breakfast defector" is ridiculous to think about

And nobody commented on my better post! They'd have more luck redefining the word "breakfast" than saying Taco Bell is now the "breakfast" place.

Last edited by Don Draper on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

I don't have the numbers but I think Egg Mac is leading the charge for morning breakfast and Jack is closing in fast.

Jack is good. You get like 3 pounds of sausage patties for the price of one Egg McMuffin.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:

^^^^ @ DD

I understand where you're coming from. My point is the commercial, no matter how idiotic it may seem, be, did what it was designed to, bring attention to a product.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
^^^^ @ DD

I understand where you're coming from. My point is the commercial, not matter how idiotic it may seem, be, it did what it was designed to, brought attention to a product.

Yeah no question about that! I just edited my other post but I'll say it again here, I'm really just talking about how ridiculous the ads are, not if they are inherently effective or not
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
jodeke wrote:
^^^^ @ DD

I understand where you're coming from. My point is the commercial, not matter how idiotic it may seem, be, it did what it was designed to, brought attention to a product.

Yeah no question about that! I just edited my other post but I'll say it again here, I'm really just talking about how ridiculous the ads are, not if they are inherently effective or not

I understand your frustration. I've been on that end on many occasions. You have a meaning not well articulated and before you can clarify you're bombarded with criticisms.

As you said in a post, the product is the end, the commercial the means. If the crunch is good Taco Bell has a winner, if not, move on.

SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject:

i thought "breakfast defector" means not eating breakfast altogether.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i thought "breakfast defector" means not eating breakfast altogether.

DD's point about how ridiculous the ads are.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: