Kawhi Leonard named Defensive Player of the Year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Kawhi Leonard named Defensive Player of the Year

That's it.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject:

Code:
PLAYER               TEAM                1st Place (5 Pts)        2nd Place (3 Pts)  3rd Place (1 pt)   Total Points

Kawhi Leonard  San Antonio                37                            41                     25               333

Draymond Green  Golden State              45                            25                     17               317

DeAndre Jordan  L.A. Clippers             32                            25                     26               261

Anthony Davis  New Orleans                11                            15                      7               107

Rudy Gobert  Utah                          2                             4                     11                33

Andrew Bogut Golden State                  0                             6                     13                31

Tony Allen    Memphis                      1                             4                     12                29

Tim Duncan  San Antonio                    1                             1                      4                12

the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject:

Great accolade for Kawhi, but still somewhat surprising for me ...

The Spurs (and especially Kawhi) seldom engage in politicking for awards (or even attention of ANY kind), so winning the award having played only 64 games (fewest ever played by a DPOY during the 82 game era) is all the more unexpected.

Apparently, the following three individuals have won Finals MVP * and DPOY ** in NBA history:

Michael Jordan
(H)akeem Olajuwon
Kawhi Leonard

* Finals MVP awarded since 1968/1969 season
** Defensive Player of Year (DPOY) awarded since 1982/1983 season

edit: 1969/1969 changed to 1968/1969 in footnote ...

Last edited by the association on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Hawkins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject:

DPOY and FMVP and still not an All Star....I guess that's going to change next year.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject:

Funny how Draymond Greend got more 1st place votes.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject:

A couple of other details on Kawhi's DPOY ...

- 3rd youngest to ever win the award (behind Dwight Howard [2008/2009] and Alvin Robertson [1985/1986])
- 1st non-C/PF to win since Ron Artest in 2003/2004 season ...

I didn't realize there had been such a lengthy run of big men winning DPOY until I checked out the list ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Defensive_Player_of_the_Year_Award

edit: spelling of Artest

Last edited by the association on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject:

Hawkins wrote:
DPOY and FMVP and still not an All Star....I guess that's going to change next year.

IMO, the inference that All Star game appearances is a reputable barometer of value (one that's been made by several others here with regard to Kawhi's market value over the past few weeks) is off the mark ... as far as I'm concerned, the voting tally of (sometimes irrational) fans ≠ anything of consequence.

The media isn't perfect, but they certainly know the game better than the guy in the 909 beseeching everybody he knows to vote for "my guy", despite the fact that many of them have never held a basketball. Or the masses in Shanghai coalescing to vote for Yao merely owing to the novelty of seeing someone who looks like them playing in the NBA.

Who knows what's in store for Kawhi? I certainly don't ... but he's showing considerable progress over these first few seasons. And he's young ...
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject:

Undeserved, imo
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject:

Should have been DeAndre Jordan or Draymond Green.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject:

I agree, he didn't derseve it but that's just my opinion. Draymond Green would have been by choice.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject:

Ridiculous. Green one, Jordan two.
gill2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

He's an awesome talent on both ends of the floor but I didn't see anything special he did all year to earn the nod. Draymond Green had more of an impact with GSW this year and DeAndre's always the Clipps' defensive anchor every year.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject:

I wonder how we can get one of these. Maybe there's a future DPOY in the draft somewhere. You know, somewhere in the top 5...Perhaps the guy who won the college DPOY this season? *ahem*
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

I like him, but he didn't deserve. Deandre then Green. Whatever
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:

IMO, the inference that All Star game appearances is a reputable barometer of value (one that's been made by several others here with regard to Kawhi's market value over the past few weeks) is off the mark ... as far as I'm concerned, the voting tally of (sometimes irrational) fans ≠ anything of consequence. ...

The all-star reserves are chosen by the coaches. Fans only pick the starters.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

Only 23 years old and already has a championship, DPOY and Finals MVP under his belt. Not a bad start to say the least.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject:

Overall, the conventional and advanced statistics (on both sides of the ball) generally favor Kawhi over Green and Jordan, so ... but based on body of work (i.e., taking into account that Kawhi missed many more games than Green), the fact that this is the Defensive Player of the Year award, and the exuberant GS love that seems to be here, there and everywhere these days (the novelty factor, I guess), I anticipated that Green would get the nod.

I wonder how much of it stems from Green's personality and style being too abrasive for some? IMO, there's also an aspect of Green's game that comes across to the casual observer as being "dirty". Guys like Green and Matt Barnes (or even Ron Ron back in the day) are valuable pieces, to be sure ... but their act seems to get tiresome for some and vectors into "dirty play" territory at times.

It's probably just the case of Bogut and DJ capturing some of the votes that otherwise would have gone to Green from WC media voters ... ultimately, Green lost more votes to Bogut than Kawhi lost to Duncan.

Anyway, it is what it is ... moving on.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
IMO, the inference that All Star game appearances is a reputable barometer of value (one that's been made by several others here with regard to Kawhi's market value over the past few weeks) is off the mark ... as far as I'm concerned, the voting tally of (sometimes irrational) fans ≠ anything of consequence.

The fans only pick the starting five. Otherwise, I agree with you. Leonard would have had a good chance of making the roster if he hadn't been hurt. He was out for a month and was still getting back in the groove when the all-star selections were made. On the other hand, the forward position is pretty crowded in the West, so it isn't a given that he would make the roster even right now. But yeah, this is something that is driven by circumstances and it isn't a reflection of value.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
the association wrote:

IMO, the inference that All Star game appearances is a reputable barometer of value (one that's been made by several others here with regard to Kawhi's market value over the past few weeks) is off the mark ... as far as I'm concerned, the voting tally of (sometimes irrational) fans ≠ anything of consequence. ...

The all-star reserves are chosen by the coaches. Fans only pick the starters.

Does that distinction diminish the fact that all star appearances are slightly more insightful than the "eye test" in validating a player's worth? Which is to say, neither are very valuable in that process. And for avoidance of doubt, the All Star reserves are chosen by one coach in each conference each year, correct? I wasn't under the impression that all 30 coaches huddled in some dark corner and collectively recognized those worthy of the bench seats.

Last week, it was lack of All Star appearances and the very shaky argument that (otherwise highly accomplished) Chauncey Billups also earned a Finals MVP that was used as the basis for excluding Kawhi from max. deal consideration. Now it's just the All Star appearance issue, since even the most ardent resistance must acknowledge that Chauncey doesn't have a DPOY in his trophy room. IIRC, your astute analysis when we last crossed paths on this issue involved comparing two individuals with completed 10+ year careers (Chauncey at 17 years and Cedric Maxwell at 11 years) with one individual (Kawhi) who will be completing his 4th season this year as a 23 year old.

Four seasons ...three WCF appearances, two Finals appearances, one Finals MVP, one DPOY, a second team All Defensive team appearance, a likely first team All Defensive team appearance this season, and a possible appearance on the second or third team All NBA roster this season. And whatever happens in these playoffs ...

Good luck with this battle ...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
And for avoidance of doubt, the All Star reserves are chosen by one coach in each conference each year, correct? I wasn't under the impression that all 30 coaches huddled in some dark corner and collectively recognized those worthy of the bench seats. .

All the coaches in a conference vote for the all-star reserves in that conference. Coaches are not allowed to vote for one of their own players. If an all-star is injured and cannot play, the commissioner chooses the replacement.

I don't think Leonard's lack of all-star appearances will matter. He will get a max deal unless he takes the qualifying offer to become an unrestricted free agent next year.

Last edited by activeverb on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
the association wrote:
And for avoidance of doubt, the All Star reserves are chosen by one coach in each conference each year, correct? I wasn't under the impression that all 30 coaches huddled in some dark corner and collectively recognized those worthy of the bench seats. .

All the coaches in a conference vote for the all-star reserves in that conference. Coaches are not allowed to vote for one of their own players. If an all-star is injured and cannot play, the commissioner chooses the replacement.

OK ... thanks.

Do you have any insight on the supposed post-season awards that are possibly coming down the pike with player votes behind the awards?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

the association wrote:
activeverb wrote:
the association wrote:

OK ... thanks.

Do you have any insight on the supposed post-season awards that are possibly coming down the pike with player votes behind the awards?

I am not sure if the players play to give out a DPoY. The DPoY vote was close, and the MVP could be close among the sportswriter. It wouldn't be surprising if a different group of people, using a different voting system, comes to a different conclusion.

If so, I suspect some people will make a big deal about it. And those people will also be very disappointed if the sportswriters and players agree.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

Awww… Kia-rep man just murdered the pronunciation of Kawhi's name LOL
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
I wonder how we can get one of these. Maybe there's a future DPOY in the draft somewhere. You know, somewhere in the top 5...Perhaps the guy who won the college DPOY this season? *ahem*

4 out of the top 5 are players only a few years in, something for the FO to think about at draft time.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to Kawhi first finals MVP and now DPY. Its too bad he is restricted this summer
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: