Venice neighborhood council wants topless beaches
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

What the? Ok, do me a favor and re-read what you wrote.

The law allows health clubs to deny service based solely on gender. (This has been challenged and upheld). The law also allows beaches to deny the removal of outerwear based solely on gender.

I do wish it were as easy as saying "different issue" but it isn't. (I wish I could do that with my bills quite frankly, then I'd never have to pay them!)

The law has to discriminate based on gender at times. For instance, what about law's that prohibit men from entering women's restrooms? There is no anatomical need for a separate restroom. The bathrooms are really the same. There are legally recognized safe havens for abused women to go to. How irate are you that the law does not allow you, a men with comparable faculties, to enter these safe havens?

Bottom line -- if women want to go to Venice Beach topless, just say that that's what you want. Don't play the discrimination card. It's the wrong way to go about it.

I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand, if it's a public place and the public nudity laws don't allow women to do something that men can do, then it's inequality under the law, and that should be changed. I believe in equality under the law. I'm not talking about the law in terms of whether private businesses/property are allowed to discriminate based on sex/gender, that's a different issue. If it's the case however that they allow private organizations to discriminate against men but not women, or vice versa, then that's inequality under the law.

I actually don't believe in segregated bathrooms. However, at least the same would be true for women in that they can't go in the men's bathroom. As far as shelters go, I happen to think that's a huge case of systemic sexism against men in that they don't get anywhere near the funding for shelters as women do (if they get any at all,) despite being roughly half of domestic violence victims according to the methodologically sound studies on the issue. Whether they should be segregated, I don't think so, but at the very least, I'll take separate but equal over just plain unequal.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand, if it's a public place and the public nudity laws don't allow women to do something that men can do, then it's inequality under the law, and that should be changed. I believe in equality under the law. I'm not talking about the law in terms of whether private businesses/property are allowed to discriminate based on sex/gender, that's a different issue. If it's the case however that they allow private organizations to discriminate against men but not women, or vice versa, then that's inequality under the law.

I actually don't believe in segregated bathrooms. However, at least the same would be true for women in that they can't go in the men's bathroom. As far as shelters go, I happen to think that's a huge case of systemic sexism against men in that they don't get anywhere near the funding for shelters as women do (if they get any at all,) despite being roughly half of domestic violence victims according to the methodologically sound studies on the issue. Whether they should be segregated, I don't think so, but at the very least, I'll take separate but equal over just plain unequal.

I don't either. The few times I've had to use a women's restroom because a men's was unavailable or occupied was like stepping into a Ritz Carlton's restroom. No poop or piss on the floor or on the walls or on the seat or in the sink.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

What the? Ok, do me a favor and re-read what you wrote.

The law allows health clubs to deny service based solely on gender. (This has been challenged and upheld). The law also allows beaches to deny the removal of outerwear based solely on gender.

I do wish it were as easy as saying "different issue" but it isn't. (I wish I could do that with my bills quite frankly, then I'd never have to pay them!)

The law has to discriminate based on gender at times. For instance, what about law's that prohibit men from entering women's restrooms? There is no anatomical need for a separate restroom. The bathrooms are really the same. There are legally recognized safe havens for abused women to go to. How irate are you that the law does not allow you, a men with comparable faculties, to enter these safe havens?

Bottom line -- if women want to go to Venice Beach topless, just say that that's what you want. Don't play the discrimination card. It's the wrong way to go about it.

And hey, I would too. I'm completely in favor of the law identifying that there are circumstances in which it makes sense to allow certain forms of discrimination.

If I can't go to the exact same places that a woman goes to, and the law says that I cannot, then that is discrimination based on gender. It doesn't really matter if they also say that women can't go to the exact same places that a man goes to. That's discrimination too! That certainly might be fair, but it is discrimination nonetheless. The only way it cannot be discrimination is if I am allowed, by law, to do the exact same things and go to the exact same places as women with no exceptions. But hey, I'm fine with some of the exceptions, they make sense to me, some of those exceptions are the price paid to provide protection for women.

That said, I have no issue with topless beaches. Hey, go for it if that's what you want ladies! My point was simply that making the argument you should be allowed to do it because not allowing it is a "serious equality issue" is a bad approach. The reason the law exists is because they were concerned about its negative impact to Venice Beach. So focus on why it would be good for Venice Beach. Centering ones argument around discrimination means you don't really care if it's ultimately better for Venice Beach or not. If you want them to listen, focus on a different argument.

Because discrimination isn't good, but it is permissible, by law, when there is a belief that there is a net positive as a result of it (as in, the case of segregated bathrooms). We already all know it is discrimination to allow men to not have tops but not women. That's not even up for debate. The question is whether, like segregated bathrooms, is Venice Beach better off? If so, why.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

And hey, I would too. I'm completely in favor of the law identifying that there are circumstances in which it makes sense to allow certain forms of discrimination.

If I can't go to the exact same places that a woman goes to, and the law says that I cannot, then that is discrimination based on gender. It doesn't really matter if they also say that women can't go to the exact same places that a man goes to. That's discrimination too! That certainly might be fair, but it is discrimination nonetheless. The only way it cannot be discrimination is if I am allowed, by law, to do the exact same things and go to the exact same places as women with no exceptions. But hey, I'm fine with some of the exceptions, they make sense to me, some of those exceptions are the price paid to provide protection for women.

That said, I have no issue with topless beaches. Hey, go for it if that's what you want ladies! My point was simply that making the argument you should be allowed to do it because not allowing it is a "serious equality issue" is a bad approach. The reason the law exists is because they were concerned about its negative impact to Venice Beach. So focus on why it would be good for Venice Beach. Centering ones argument around discrimination means you don't really care if it's ultimately better for Venice Beach or not. If you want them to listen, focus on a different argument.

Because discrimination isn't good, but it is permissible, by law, when there is a belief that there is a net positive as a result of it (as in, the case of segregated bathrooms). We already all know it is discrimination to allow men to not have tops but not women. That's not even up for debate. The question is whether, like segregated bathrooms, is Venice Beach better off? If so, why.

A private organization denying access to an individual or a group of people is not the same as the legislature doing it. You're right that if you can discriminate both ways, it's still discrimination in both cases, but I never stated otherwise. What I said was that if the law allowed one form of discrimination, but not the other, then that would be a double standard and discrimination under the law.

I don't care if it's better for Venice beach or not. I believe all public nudity laws should be changed to an equal standard for everyone.

I don't really think segregated bathrooms and public nudity laws are comparing apples to apples. At least in the case of bathrooms, they both have a right to a bathroom, but with public nudity laws, one doesn't have the right to be in public without a top on. If separate isn't equal though, I don't agree with segregated bathroom.

I guess I just hold equal rights, and equality under the law in general, to a higher priority than you do.

Quote:
the price paid to provide protection for women.

Women are not more important than men, women do not deserve more protection than men.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:

^ You're missing the point. My opinion and your opinion about discrimination isn't the issue here. The issue at bar is whether centering the argument in favor of topless beaches around discrimination is a wise one. In your view, that is the best strategy to give those in favor the best chance of success. I disagree. Strongly. I think it is a horrible strategy. If they want the right to be topless, focusing the argument around discrimination is a terrible way yo go.

The reason I think it is a horrible strategy is because the law is discriminatory by design. If you wanted access to social security dollars prior to the age of 67, it would be a terrible strategy to say "age discrimination" as your logic. The lawmakers already know that. It was designed that way and the belief is that net-net, we are better off this way. If you want them to eliminate age restrictions on ss ditributions, you should show why it would be better to do that. Same with topless beaches. Saying it is discriminatory is saying nothing.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
^ You're missing the point. My opinion and your opinion about discrimination isn't the issue here. The issue at bar is whether centering the argument in favor of topless beaches around discrimination is a wise one. In your view, that is the best strategy to give those in favor the best chance of success. I disagree. Strongly. I think it is a horrible strategy. If they want the right to be topless, focusing the argument around discrimination is a terrible way yo go.

The reason I think it is a horrible strategy is because the law is discriminatory by design. If you wanted access to social security dollars prior to the age of 67, it would be a terrible strategy to say "age discrimination" as your logic. The lawmakers already know that. It was designed that way and the belief is that net-net, we are better off this way. If you want them to eliminate age restrictions on ss ditributions, you should show why it would be better to do that. Same with topless beaches. Saying it is discriminatory is saying nothing.

I was never commenting on whether it was the most pragmatic argument or not, I was only claiming that it's a valid one.

Age is relevant and central to the very idea of social security, gender/sex isn't relevant to how nude you should be allowed to be in public.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I don't either. The few times I've had to use a women's restroom because a men's was unavailable or occupied was like stepping into a Ritz Carlton's restroom. No poop or piss on the floor or on the walls or on the seat or in the sink.

And that's not because attendance take better care of the lady's room.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I was never commenting on whether it was the most pragmatic argument or not, I was only claiming that it's a valid one.

Age is relevant and central to the very idea of social security, gender/sex isn't relevant to how nude you should be allowed to be in public.

Go re-read the posts on page 1. I said I didn't think the discrimination argument was the way to pursue this fight. You said, how exactly is it not the way to pursue this fight?

If you want lawmakers to change their policies, ya gotta tell them things they don't already know.

You don't need to hammer home your point. We share the same beliefs regarding this. Where we don't agree, is on the strategy that would provide the best likelihood of a change in law.

Highlighting the benefits to Venice Beach of changing said law would be a much better approach.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject:

FWIW, the courts have held that female nipples are different than male in a substantive enough way to make the topless disparity not discrimination.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
FWIW, the courts have held that female nipples are different than male in a substantive enough way to make the topless disparity not discrimination.

Really? Interesting. I guess that goes in to the "anatomical differences" argument made by Fan0Bynum17. In either case, I personally don't see the big deal but then again, would I want my 15-year old daughter walking around topless in public? Heck no.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
FWIW

Not much.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Speaking of equality and discrimination.

Why do shows like Banshee and Boardwalk Empire flash women pubic areas and not men?

I'm of a mind women like flash too.

Watch Game of Thrones if you're looking for some dong, Jodeke.

I've only seen a few episodes of Game of Thrones.

I remember the episode that the Princess or someone of stature was picking a slave for the evening.

That's a series I'm going to binge.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
FWIW

Not much.

Hey, next time you get into a legal dispute, make sure you tell the court that what it thinks doesn't matter much.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
FWIW

Not much.

Hey, next time you get into a legal dispute, make sure you tell the court that what it thinks doesn't matter much.

Would highly suggest the "Your (bleep) are bigger than a lot of women's and they don't produce milk yet either" argument.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
FWIW

Not much.

No, I think I'll bow down to them instead and praise them as the infallible authorities that they are, since there's never been a stupid winning argument in the history of the court system.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
FWIW

Not much.

No, I think I'll bow down to them instead and praise them as the infallible authorities that they are, since there's never been a stupid winning argument in the history of the court system.

Wow. You must really, really, really want topless beaches.

Can you at least see now, why centering one's strategy around a discrimination is a poor one? Or still holdin' on?

Frankly, I think we need to be focusing on getting equal pay for women first but I understand, completely, the allure of boobs.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
FWIW

Not much.

Can you at least see now, why centering one's strategy around a discrimination is a poor one? Or still holdin' on?

Frankly, I think we need to be focusing on getting equal pay for women first but I understand, completely, the allure of boobs.

Forget the boobs, I'm a advocate for full frontal.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
FWIW

Not much.

That's bush league.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
FWIW

Not much.

That's bush league.

I see what you did there.

Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
FWIW

Not much.

I don't care whether women actually do choose to go topless or not, just as long as they have the same rights to choose as men in this regard.

Like I said, I never argued about whether it was a practical for convincing people or not, just that it's a valid argument.

The wage gap is a myth.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
FWIW

Not much.

I don't care whether women actually do choose to go topless or not, just as long as they have the same rights as men in this regard.

Like I said, I never argued about whether it was a practical for convincing people or not, just that it's a valid argument.

The wage gap is a myth.

We weren't even talking about validity. We were talking about quality of the argument. In this case, discrimination is a poor argument for the reasons cited on the past 2 pages!

Let's not get in to the wage gap thing now, this thread is about funbags.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
FWIW

Not much.

I don't care whether women actually do choose to go topless or not, just as long as they have the same rights as men in this regard.

The wage gap is a myth.

We weren't even talking about validity. We were talking about quality of the argument. In this case, discrimination is a poor argument for the reasons cited on the past 2 pages!

That's not what I was talking about.

You brought it up.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
24 wrote:
FWIW

Not much.

The wage gap is a myth.

That's not what I was talking about.

You brought it up.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: