The 1990s, A Blueprint to Rebuild Today?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: The 1990s, A Blueprint to Rebuild Today?

The 1990s are mentioned as sort of a blueprint to rebuild the Lakers today. I took the liberty of compiling some of the data, including key players (I may be missing out on some players, so fill me in). The baselines are: when the Lakers made a Finals to when they made it back to the Finals in 2000.

1990-91 (58-24, lost to Bull in NBA Finals)

1991-92 (43-39, 8th seed, lost in 1st round)
Notable players: Vlade, AC Green, Perkins, BScott, Worthy, Threatt, Teagle

1992-93 (39-43, 8th seed, lost in 1st round)
Notable players: Vlade, AC Green, Perkins, BScott, Worthy, Threatt, PEELER

1993-94 (33-49, 9th in conference)
Notable players: VAN EXEL, Peeler, LYNCH, Vlade, Campbell, CHRISTIE, TSmith, Threatt

1994-95 (48-34, 5th in conference, WC Semis)
Notable players: Van Exel, EJONES, Ceballos, Peeler, Lynch, Vlade, Campbell, Threatt

1995-96 (53-29, 4th in conference, lost in 1st round)
Notable players: Magic, Van Exel, EJones, Ceballos, Peeler, Lynch, Vlade, Campbell, Threatt

1996-97 (56-26, 4th in conference, lost in WC Semis)
Notable players: SHAQ, Van Exel, EJones, Ceballos, HORRY, KOBE, BScott, FISHER, Campbell

1997-98 (61-21, 3rd in conference, WC Finals)
Notable players: Shaq, Van Exel, EJones, FOX, Horry, Kobe, BScott, Fisher, Campbell

1998-99 (31-19, 4th in conference, lost in WC Semis)
Notable players: Shaq, Van Exel, EJones, Fox, Horry, Kobe, BScott, Fisher, Campbell

1999-00 (67-15, 1st in conference, NBA CHAMPS)
Notable players: Shaq, Kobe, HGRANT, Fox, Horry, SHAW, RHARPER, Fisher

ANALYSIS

8 seasons between 2 FINALS appearances
1991-92 (lost in 1st round)
1992-93 (lost in 1st round)
1993-94 (9th in WC)
1994-95 (WC Semis)
1995-96 (WC Finals)
1996-97 (WC Semis)
1997-98 (WC Finals)
1998-99 (WC Semis)
1999-00 (CHAMPS )

Wins from 1991 to 1998 (43, 39, 33, 48, 53, 56, 61, 31 (prorated to 51 wins), 67).

First 5 seasons after 1990 NBA Finals appearance, wins average: 43.2 wins

Compare that with the current trajectory since we beat the Chowda heads in 2010:

2010-11 (lost in WC Semis)
2011-12 (lost in WC Semis)
2012-13 (lost in 1st round)
2013-14 (14th place in WC)
2014-15 (14th place in WC)

Wins from 2010 to now (57, 41, 45, 27, 21).

First 5 seasons after 2009 NBA Finals, wins average: 38.2 wins

As spoiled Lakers fans, we are now 5 years from our last championship. Which model (1990s and current) do you like so far?

By year 5 of the 1990s rebuild, they had:

Magic (I guess he's the Kobe in the equation), Van Exel, EJones, Ceballos, Peeler, Lynch, Vlade, Campbell, Threatt. Exel had already completed 2 good seasons, and Jones had a good rookie campaign.

Lakers currently have Clarkson as the only proven young asset due to Randle's injury.

My purpose isn't to make the call, but give folks some context to discuss our rebuild. If the Lakers have a modus operandi, or will follow the 1990s blueprint, are we really doing that at this point?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject:

I think that by year 5 of this rebuild (2019) we will be contending for the Western Conference championship.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I think that by year 5 of this rebuild (2019) we will be contending for the Western Conference championship.

I was a teenager in LA during the 1990s, and wasn't as much into the Lakers at the time. I'd love your insight into the 1990s Lakers. The progression made is starkly different than us right now. I'd argue that we are at ground zero in terms of the 1990s rebuild as we only have Clarkson to show for it at this point (due to Randle's injury). I hope we get a top 5 pick and some free agents, then we can start the rebuild in earnest.

I'm not sure I see a cataclysmic move like 1996-97 when the Lakers got Shaq, Kobe, Fisher in one off season.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

What is amazing is that during the 1990s rebuild, the Lakers only missed the playoffs once, and barely.
Kingpin2010
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject:

I don't think we should expect to replicate bringing in 2, top 10 of all time players
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject:

Kingpin2010 wrote:
I don't think we should expect to replicate bringing in 2, top 10 of all time players

Agreed. The hope is (was) Durant, but his foot problems are scary. Then maybe Westbrook, but both pale in comparison to Shaq/Kobe.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject:

At least 3 years to get back playoff contention, that freaking Kobe contract delayed it by several years
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I was a teenager in LA during the 1990s, and wasn't as much into the Lakers at the time. I'd love your insight into the 1990s Lakers. The progression made is starkly different than us right now. I'd argue that we are at ground zero in terms of the 1990s rebuild as we only have Clarkson to show for it at this point (due to Randle's injury). I hope we get a top 5 pick and some free agents, then we can start the rebuild in earnest.

I'm not sure I see a cataclysmic move like 1996-97 when the Lakers got Shaq, Kobe, Fisher in one off season.

A deal like the one that got Shaq would be impossible now. I actually enjoyed that period of time, I watched every game and loved seeing the draft picks and FA signings develop. Just as I will enjoy next season for the same reason. West was all about adding talent regardless of position. One of my favorites was Anthony Peeler, I seem to have a soft spot for players from Missouri. I hated to see him get traded, but when the payoff was Shaq, I had no issues with it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject:

That 1994-95 team was fun. I really like EJones a lot growing up.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What is amazing is that during the 1990s rebuild, the Lakers only missed the playoffs once, and barely.

I think you are I are similar in age, I got into basketball around 1987 so I was spoiled right off the bat.

The early 90s teams that snuck into the playoffs had steady veteran leaders e.g. Worthy, Green, Scott, Vlade - post Magic

Then in the mid 90s, it was the Lakeshow period lead by some vets .. Vlade, Elden, Ceballos, and youngsters Van Smack, Peeler, Christie and soon Eddie Jones.

It's always been a mix of youngster and vets plus a dash of luck which happened in 1996.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
That 1994-95 team was fun. I really like EJones a lot growing up.

When I say EDDIE .. you say JONES

Eddie ... JONES

Eddie .. JONES
#Avatar-gate
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:

IMO the Lakers are not trying to emulate some blueprint from the past. Although, who knows, maybe their end game is to maneuver their draft picks and youngsters to gain a couple super stars.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:

There was no particular blueprint. West was kept in constant limbo because of Magic's uncertain situation. He just did the best he could every season to keep the engine warm.

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
There was no particular blueprint. West was kept in constant limbo because of Magic's uncertain situation.

I hope that's not something that will haunt Mitch with Kobe.
Throwback96
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject:

Due to the somewhat drastic change in the CBA, the present mind state of players i.e. obvious fears about their legacy thus forming super teams (at least superstars) I think we'll see a combination of old school growth by the draft combined with clever manipulation of the salary cap system to aquire free agents and make trades. I think it's hard to ignore that we can no longer just poach other teams superstars with large pay days instead we have to display a solid foundation of youth with great potential while also accepting the fact that we'll have to take some risks and make sacrifices that may be unpopular amongst fans but serve a greater long term good. Because of this I fully expect some unpopular decisions come draft and free agency.

I also think this will be the first summer where Mitch will be able to apply his new approach. I say that because this is the first year we have cap space, a top draft pick (multiple picks actually) and young talent already on the roster

Bottom line I think the future is pretty briight.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:

Throwback96 wrote:
Due to the somewhat drastic change in the CBA, the present mind state of players i.e. obvious fears about their legacy thus forming super teams (at least superstars) I think we'll see a combination of old school growth by the draft combined with clever manipulation of the salary cap system to aquire free agents and make trades. I think it's hard to ignore that we can no longer just poach other teams superstars with large pay days instead we have to display a solid foundation of youth with great potential while also accepting the fact that we'll have to take some risks and make sacrifices that may be unpopular amongst fans but serve a greater long term good. Because of this I fully expect some unpopular decisions come draft and free agency.

I also think this will be the first summer where Mitch will be able to apply his new approach. I say that because this is the first year we have cap space, a top draft pick (multiple picks actually) and young talent already on the roster

Well technically, we had a max slot plus last season and a 7th pick.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject:

The blueprint was simple, in theory, albeit ahrd to pull off:

(1) Draft solid, even if not "STAR" players in the 1st round.
(2) Draft aggressive, hungry players in the 2nd round.
(3) Sign mid-level vets to reasonable contracts that can be dumped for space or combined to get talent.
(4) Make the team young and competitive so that big FAs will eventually want to sign here.

By relying so much on home-run signings (4), we squandered our chances at (3).
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:

(3) Sign mid-level vets to reasonable contracts that can be dumped for space or combined to get talent.
(4) Make the team young and competitive so that big FAs will eventually want to sign here.

They tried to get Barkley and Hakeem IIRC.
Throwback96
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Throwback96 wrote:

Well technically, we had a max slot plus last season and a 7th pick.

True but a #7 pick pales in comparison to a top 3 pick. Plus we lacked young talent already on the roster. Also our cap space was still restricted to superstar players or bust. I think Mitch has moved beyond that thinking.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

They tried to get Barkley and Hakeem IIRC.

They DID!!! I remember 1990/91 it was the rumored Worthy/AC Green/Scott and picks for Hakeem or Akeem

Then Barkley I think was just Worthy primarily.
#Avatar-gate
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject:

We can't truly rebuild until Kobe retires. His contract is still a huge problem. I know he only has one year left but we could have had a opportunity to sign two max players this summer. We have some good young players with Randle and Clarkson, but I don't think we will be good until Kobe retires. Stars aren't going to come here until he's gone.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
We can't truly rebuild until Kobe retires. His contract is still a huge problem. I know he only has one year left but we could have had a opportunity to sign two max players this summer. We have some good young players with Randle and Clarkson, but I don't think we will be good until Kobe retires. Stars aren't going to come here until he's gone.

Well you can start picking up pieces for this "Future Star" *cough* RWB!
#Avatar-gate
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

Westbrook is definitely a possibility if Durant leave, but he seems to be more Duncan then Lebron. I just don't think stars want to play with Kobe at his age and Iso ball. I could see them signing a defensive big, but as long as Kobe is around no stars will come here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Westbrook is definitely a possibility if Durant leave, but he seems to be more Duncan then Lebron. I just don't think stars want to play with Kobe at his age and Iso ball. I could see them signing a defensive big, but as long as Kobe is around no stars will come here.

If we don't trade for Russ, he'll be what, 29 in 2017?
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

If we don't trade for Russ, he'll be what, 29 in 2017?
Yeah, and Clarkson will be just entering his prime at 25.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: