Rockets fire social media guy for emoji horse joke
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject:

I'm no expert on what rapists say to their victims, but I'm pretty sure that "it'll all be over soon" when placed next to a horse with a gun next to his head means that the Mavs were about to be put down, not sexually assaulted.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I'm no expert on what rapists say to their victims, but I'm pretty sure that "it'll all be over soon" when placed next to a horse with a gun next to his head means that the Mavs were about to be put down, not sexually assaulted.

In Houston, that comes later....
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Correlating a horse emoji with sexual assault?

My mind doesn't work that way, but then I've never been to a donkey show.

Need to watch a Sarah Jessica Parker movie?

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I'm no expert on what rapists say to their victims.

You don't have to be an "expert" at being a rapist to understand where the reference to "it will all be over soon" comes from.

But you'd need to be completely out of touch with common phrases to miss the reference.

Thanks for implying that people who get the reference are inclined to sexual assault.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

You don't have to be an "expert" at being a rapist to understand where the reference to "it will all be over soon" comes from.

But you'd need to be completely out of touch with common phrases to miss the reference.

Thanks for implying that people who get the reference are inclined to sexual assault.

I guess I'm just an a-hole, but this is the type of oversensitive tripe I'm talking about. Getting all offended at nothing. I must be blind compared to the PC-crowd these days, but I didn't see him implying what you're saying at all. Sexual assault didn't pop into my mind when reading that Rocket employee's tweet, either. Apparently, I'm some kind of savage.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I guess I'm just an a-hole, but this is the type of oversensitive tripe I'm talking about. Getting all offended at nothing. I must be blind compared to the PC-crowd these days, but I didn't see him implying what you're saying at all. Sexual assault didn't pop into my mind when reading that Rocket employee's tweet, either. Apparently, I'm some kind of savage.

I think the horse and gun emoji changes the phrases context, but the phrase itself is definitely one associated with what rapists say to their victims.

This all happened the same week Bud Light pulled and apologized for a phrase on their label that read: "The perfect beer for removing 'no' from your vocabulary for the night.". They too received backlash for it's association with rape, as in "no means no", as well as drunk driving, as in "are you too drunk to drive? No."

I think it is a sign of how PC we've become, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially coming from a corporate entity whose trying to engage with the masses, on a personal level. If they want to have a dialog with potential "consumers", they have to be willing to accept the response.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I think the horse and gun emoji changes the phrases context, but the phrase itself is definitely one associated with what rapists say to their victims.

This all happened the same week Bud Light pulled and apologized for a phrase on their label that read: "The perfect beer for removing 'no' from your vocabulary for the night.". They too received backlash for it's association with sexual assault, as in "no means no", as well as drunk driving, as in "are you too drunk to drive? No."

I think it is a sign of how PC we've become, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially coming from a corporate entity whose trying to engage with the masses, on a personal level. If they want to have a dialog with potential "consumers", they have to be willing to accept the response.

The context is the key. Had the emoji been phallic in nature then the tweet would have a more sinister connotation. As it stands, the tweet sounds like something you'd utter to a dear pet before euthanizing it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I get the rape reference, but I honestly don't think that's what the guy was going for. It was "you're about to be put out of your misery".
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject:

I've never heard it used in the rapey sort of way.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

I think it is important to understand the difference between being offended and understanding what is appropriate.

I'm not offended by hearing the "F word", but that doesn't mean I want my children to use it.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Wait, what? I didn't imply that at all.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Yeah, I get the sexual assault reference, but I honestly don't think that's what the guy was going for. It was "you're about to be put out of your misery".

Obviously. Does sexual assault have the market cornered on the "it will all be over soon" phrase? You could apply this phrase to any number of unpleasant experiences. This is what my mom would tell me when I'd get a shot, for chrissakes.

I don't complain about things being "too PC", because I think it's generally made us less a-holey to others over the last 25 years, but my gripe with this is linguistic in nature. It was obviously not a sexual assault reference. Misapplications and overreaches such as this actually devalue legitimate complaints regarding the terms and phrases that we use in a "Boy Who Cried Wolf" sort of way. This is silly.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

That was some cold-blooded (bleep) right there!

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't gotten around to The Wire yet, despite the fact that pretty much every person whose opinion I respect loved it.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Obviously. Does sexual assault have the market cornered on the "it will all be over soon" phrase? You could apply this phrase to any number of unpleasant experiences. This is what my mom would tell me when I'd get a shot, for chrissakes.

I don't complain about things being "too PC", because I think it's generally made us less a-holey to others over the last 25 years, but my gripe with this is linguistic in nature. It was obviously not a sexual assault reference. Misapplications and overreaches such as this actually devalue legitimate complaints regarding the terms and phrases that we use in a "Boy Who Cried Wolf" sort of way. This is silly.

That's what I'm saying, though. To me, "too PC" means overreaching and crying wolf over anything and everything anyone says. Too many people these days do that kind of nonsense.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Wait, what? I didn't imply that at all.

Sorry, I saw the "I'm no expert on what rapists say" and it seemed to imply that those who got the reference were more versed in the act and I worded my reply very poorly. Apologies.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't gotten around to The Wire yet, despite the fact that pretty much every person whose opinion I respect loved it.

Well, it certainly takes some guts to admit as much, but come on, GT. It's the best show ever, and I don't think it's even close.

My current GF hadn't ever seen it either, which was, not that I needed one, a great reason to binge watch the series again. It's just phenomenal.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Sorry, I saw the "I'm no expert on what rapists say" and it seemed to imply that those who got the reference were more versed in the act and I worded my reply very poorly. Apologies.

That certainly was not my intention. My apologies for not wording that more clearly.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

No matter what people tell you, no matter how many clips you see, no matter how great it is hailed, you simply won't believe how great it actually was. It's like going to Manhattan for the first time when you thought you grew up in a great city because you grew up in LA.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject:

I'm not offended by the tweet, but it do show poor sportsmanship by the Rockets, during a win. Showing a gun shooting a horse is really no different than a Rockets player doing a throat slash gesture and saying "it's over". Nobody likes to see that done by the players and they can be fined/suspended for it. So if this guy was the mouthpiece of the Rockets, then he should have showed more class in winning.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
I've never heard it used in the rapey sort of way.

Neither have I.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject:

Just another case of modern day overreaction and eOutrage.

Bad joke, sure, but nothing more.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Yup.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

But a bad joke can be unsportsmanlike. I feel people thought it was classless coming from the franchise directly. A fan can do this, but not the team. And it embarrassed the franchise after an extremely rare playoff series win.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

But a bad joke can be unsportsmanlike. I feel people thought it was classless coming from the franchise directly. A fan can do this, but not the team. And it embarrassed the franchise after an extremely rare playoff series win.

Sure, and sometimes a bad joke is just ... a bad joke and nothing more than that.

I certainly don't think he deserved to lose his job over it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: