Jerry West
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Jerry West

Just thought I'd drop in and say I don't think it's a coincidence that the Warriors have become elite since the logo went up north.

I know they were already building their franchise and were on the rise before he arrived, but I don't think it's a coincidence they have become dominant since he became advisor/minority owner. Probably played a big role in getting Kerr to replace Jackson and I think he probably played a big role in getting Klay, Draymond and finishing that roster.

I don't think he gets the media attention he deserves, because he likes to stay in the background, but damn if he could have just come back to LA (post-burnout) after leaving Memphis.

Hard to not get nostalgic, when we're stuck with Jimbo.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Isn't some of this just speculation?
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Isn't some of this just speculation?

Most of it is.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject:

I have a sneaking suspicion West doesn't do much more than get paid, play golf and get an occasional phone call. But anything to trash the FO again yes?

!...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerry West

Bean24 wrote:
Just thought I'd drop in and say I don't think it's a coincidence that the Warriors have become elite since the logo went up north.

I know they were already building their franchise and were on the rise before he arrived, but I don't think it's a coincidence they have become dominant since he became advisor/minority owner. Probably played a big role in getting Kerr to replace Jackson and I think he probably played a big role in getting Klay, Draymond and finishing that roster.

I don't think he gets the media attention he deserves, because he likes to stay in the background, but damn if he could have just come back to LA (post-burnout) after leaving Memphis.

Let me sum up this post:

"I give Jerry West total credit for everything good that happens with Golden State, without actually knowing if he had any involvement in the good stuff, because it's just a way for me to slam the Lakers."

Cool. Have fun with that.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

I think the point is that with Jerry West in your organization, good things usually happens. Why question it? West was here when he was able to orchestrate the Shaq and Kobe trades.

Look at the present state of Lakers. A lot has to do with the people in charge. I guarantee you that people will not be lining up to hire Jim Buss as a consultant.

Just google it and you will find that Jerry West was against the trade of Kevin Love for Klay Thompson.

This is just another example of just being able to make the right decisions.

WEST WAS AGAINST THE TRADE INVOLVING LOVE

During the summer, West was purportedly one of the staunchest opponents to the Warriors including Thompson in a deal for Minnesota forward Kevin Love, and he cleared the air on that Saturday.

"They would have had one less employee if that would have happened," he said. "When you get a backcourt like that, you just can't make changes. I think everybody who looked at that from a basketball perspective knew that, at the end of the day, it wasn't the right thing for us to do. To have a backcourt like that, it's just a beautiful thing."

http://www.mercurynews.com/warriors/ci_27388426/warriors-jerry-west-couldnt-sleep-after-klay-thompsons

WEST AND MARK JACKSON HAD SOME ISSUES

This is West’s fourth season as special adviser to owner Joe Lacob and the Warriors, and he has always been around and available, but in a way this is a comeback season for West.
Last season became a bit awkward, as then-coach Mark Jackson requested that West not attend practices. That was partly because Jackson cultivated a strong us-against-the-world mentality in his team, and the “us” included only men in uniform.
Jackson came to view West as dangerous. One of West’s duties is to give Lacob his take on the team, and Jackson saw that as second-guessing. It was West talking ball, being honest, doing his job.
That’s all in the past. West and Steve Kerr get along just fine. They talk regularly.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/ostler/article/While-Golden-State-wins-easily-West-frets-behind-6001037.php

Whether the Warriors win or not, you have to recognize and acknowledge Jerry West.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion West doesn't do much more than get paid, play golf and get an occasional phone call. But anything to trash the FO again yes?

If you think that is all Jerry West does for the Warriors, you do not know Jerry West.

He is obsessive and passionate. He will not simply sit around and get a paid check.

He will be involved.

Jerry West is brilliant but also complex.

Read his autobiography and you will will understand.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:

Last season became a bit awkward, as then-coach Mark Jackson requested that West not attend practices. That was partly because Jackson cultivated a strong us-against-the-world mentality in his team, and the “us” included only men in uniform.
Jackson came to view West as dangerous. One of West’s duties is to give Lacob his take on the team, and Jackson saw that as second-guessing. It was West talking ball, being honest, doing his job.
That’s all in the past. West and Steve Kerr get along just fine. They talk regularly.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/ostler/article/While-Golden-State-wins-easily-West-frets-behind-6001037.php

Didn't the EXACT same thing happen with Phil Jackson?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
laker4life wrote:

True, but having Phil and West were redundant...Phil's success made Jerry West expendable.
My guess is that Jerry West is a lot less hands on nowadays in the Warriors organization than he was with the Grizzlies or Lakers. The Warriors already had the pieces in place before Jerry West arrived...they just needed those few complementary pieces that could push the organization over the top and I believe thats where West's knowledge helped.
Bean24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerry West

activeverb wrote:
Bean24 wrote:

Let me sum up this post:

"I give Jerry West total credit for everything good that happens with Golden State, without actually knowing if he had any involvement in the good stuff, because it's just a way for me to slam the Lakers."

"What I meant, is I have no idea what I'm talking about and if I had read the post, I would've known the OP was slamming JB and never the Lakers as a franchise."

Fixed***

Cool. Have fun with that.

City_Dawg you should know better than that, lol.

Hahaha, I knew there would be some ignorance that a simple google search could have educated you with.

http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/KNBR-conversation-Jerry-West-6237724.php

I'm sure there are tons more if you'd like.

If you have been a Laker fan for as long as you say, you would KNOW West would never take a job just to have one, or he'd be somewhere in WV hunting and retired.

Glad Laker4life is one of the smarter people to read this post.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject:

Jerry west was a terrific GM for us. Whatever he adds to GS, I'm sure they're thankful for his input.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject:

Will never forgive Magic for chasing him out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Jerry west was a terrific GM for us. Whatever he adds to GS, I'm sure they're thankful for his input.

He was, but couldn't handle that stress anymore. A cushy consultant job is perfect for him, he can give his input but not have to deal with the players and agents.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject:

West also turned the laughing stock Memphis into a playoff team as well.

Now he's made GS into a real contender

Meanwhile Jim Buss and Mitch have managed to turn the lakers into the 2nd best team to play staples Center.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
22 wrote:
laker4life wrote:

True, but having Phil and West were redundant...Phil's success made Jerry West expendable.
My guess is that Jerry West is a lot less hands on nowadays in the Warriors organization than he was with the Grizzlies or Lakers. The Warriors already had the pieces in place before Jerry West arrived...they just needed those few complementary pieces that could push the organization over the top and I believe thats where West's knowledge helped.

That's pretty dismissive. You know the same can be said about every team in the league right?
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Not only is West pretty bright in selecting players but he does ok with his hiring of coaches.

It seems that he brought in Grizzlies coach David Joerger as an Assistant when West was the GM.

So far, the Grizzlies are doing pretty well and I am sure that you have to give some credit to the coach.

You simply cannot ignore West's contributions each of the franchises that he has been involved with.

See the quote below

“We have to play a lot better. That’s a very good team, and I think one of the most underrated coaches in basketball (Dave Joerger, whom West hired as an assistant coach when West was GM of the Grizzlies).

http://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/ostler/article/The-Logo-Jerry-West-says-Grizz-won-t-go-down-6256213.php
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject:

Jerry's influence might be a difference-maker there. I will say my sister's suffered faithfully through her favorite team's long period of blight longer than I'd have been willing to endure.

I wouldn't object to a decade or so of success for GS. Seems to line up well with the Laker down period, so, hey - no conflict.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
West also turned the laughing stock Memphis into a playoff team as well.

Now he's made GS into a real contender

Meanwhile Jim Buss and Mitch have managed to turn the lakers into the 2nd best team to play staples Center.

good luck to the Warriors and West.

I always knew that good things would happen to an organization that had Jerry West. His record is undeniable.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

If you think that is all Jerry West does for the Warriors, you do not know Jerry West.

He is obsessive and passionate. He will not simply sit around and get a paid check.

He will be involved.

First, GS hasn't done anything yet. I do hope they win though.

Second, West inherited Steph Curry didn't he?

Third, for some reason Laker fans like to oversimplify things and give ONE person all the credit for things requiring others but ok, let's play. It took him 4 years after inheriting Steph Curry to make the NBA Finals.

Why would you expect Jim Buss to do more, faster, with less, in shorter time!??!

That's not Jerry West smart.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
laker4life wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

He will be involved.

Third, for some reason Laker fans like to oversimplify things and give ONE person all the credit for things requiring others but ok, let's play. It took him 4 years after inheriting Steph Curry to make the NBA Finals.

Why would you expect Jim Buss to do more, faster, with less, in shorter time!??!

They have not done anything?

First time in the finals in 40 years. Thing about all of the other teams and organizations that would relish this opportunity. That is impressive.

There is no guarantee that the Lakers will ever reach the same level of success in the past. Although I hope so but the NBA is different now.

Plus Jerry West was part of the Warriors when it made moves to surround Stephan Curry with the right players.

Also, you can easily say that Jim Buss inherited Kobe and Gasol.

Jerry West was the GM when the Lakers were able to make that trade to Kobe.

Finally, I never said that I expect Jim Buss to do it quicker.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
laker4life wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

He will be involved.

Rudy T was Jim's first hire. That starts the Jim era in 2004. He may not had full autonomy but Jerry relinquished much of his role to Jim by then.

Year 11 is too soon? {Now I look forward to Jimmy fan club to shrink this to Year 1. Like a broken watch.}
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
laker4life wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

He will be involved.

First time in the finals in 40 years. Thing about all of the other teams and organizations that would relish this opportunity. That is impressive.

There is no guarantee that the Lakers will ever reach the same level of success in the past. Although I hope so but the NBA is different now.

Plus Jerry West was part of the Warriors when it made moves to surround Stephan Curry with the right players.

I think they took West's advice on two key decisions: trading for Bogut, and not trading Klay T for Fragile Love.

Found a 2012 article on Bogut trade:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_20176238/jerry-west-raves-about-monta-ellis-andrew-bogut
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
laker4life wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

He will be involved.

Rudy T was Jim's first hire. That starts the Jim era in 2004. He may not had full autonomy but Jerry relinquished much of his role to Jim by then.

Year 11 is too soon? {Now I look forward to Jimmy fan club to shrink this to Year 1. Like a broken watch.}

You're comparing an owner to a GM. I know that helps your bash Jim agenda but anyway.

If you're going to blame him for Rudy T, you have to credit him for two rings.

I wouldn't credit him with those rings, for me, the clock starts when he had no Jerry to consult and he was completely on his own (first season after Jerry passed, so 2013-2014 season is when the clock starts for me).

My guess is you'll want to rearrange the pieces however you can to bag on Jim. Bag on him for Rudy T and not credit him for 3 finals, 2 rings, and Pau for Kwame, Ariza for what Brian Cook?

Be consistent.

I'm not in any fan club. I just think Jim deserves some time to show his worth.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject:

AshesToAshes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
22 wrote:
laker4life wrote:

That's pretty dismissive. You know the same can be said about every team in the league right?

Warriors wouldn't be as good as they are without Steph Curry playing out of his mind, and having an MVP season. Without Steph Curry they aren't going to the Finals period.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
laker4life wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
laker4life wrote:
City_Dawg wrote:

He will be involved.

I think they took West's advice on two key decisions: trading for Bogut, and not trading Klay T for Fragile Love.

Found a 2012 article on Bogut trade:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_20176238/jerry-west-raves-about-monta-ellis-andrew-bogut

Yep, he's an advisor and nothing more. He makes recommendations and the GM and owner can decide to take his advice or not. That being said his input was a lot less than his time in Memphis or the Lakers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: