Matt Barnes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Classic Matt Barnes on display today. A mental midget who's never there when you need him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Shalashaska wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Barnes sucks the real outrage was letting Ariza go. He was the perfect wing compliment for Kobe and this team.

MWP wasn't bad either. If we were going to lose Ariza, MWP was the perfect replacement.

True. Not sure if 2010 bling happens if you take away Artest's defense on Pierce and mental toughness in Game 7 and replace that with Ariza (who had his own great run in 2009, to be sure).

As for Barnes - he always seems to come up small in critical playoff moments. He had a few clutch plays in the Spurs series, but overall he's been a posterchild throughout his career for decent regular seasons followed by playoff flops.

Artest was the reason they won game 7....he was the Laker that was their offense when everyone else on the team was on a slump.

My argument has always been that if they had Ariza and Jack they wouldn't have needed Game 7. Of course that is just speculation.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
He's a fake tough guy, the kind that gets technical fouls . . .

And gets all tatted up thinking that ink van makes you a bad ass.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
He's a fake tough guy, the kind that gets technical fouls . . .

And gets all tatted up thinking that ink van makes you a bad ass.

He also assaults women and then complains that he was the victim.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Shalashaska wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Barnes sucks the real outrage was letting Ariza go. He was the perfect wing compliment for Kobe and this team.

MWP wasn't bad either. If we were going to lose Ariza, MWP was the perfect replacement.

True. Not sure if 2010 bling happens if you take away Artest's defense on Pierce and mental toughness in Game 7 and replace that with Ariza (who had his own great run in 2009, to be sure).

As for Barnes - he always seems to come up small in critical playoff moments. He had a few clutch plays in the Spurs series, but overall he's been a posterchild throughout his career for decent regular seasons followed by playoff flops.

Artest was the reason they won game 7....he was the Laker that was their offense when everyone else on the team was on a slump.

My argument has always been that if they had Ariza and Jack they wouldn't have needed Game 7. Of course that is just speculation.

Exactly.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Artest was really inconsistent. I feel he helped lose games 2 and 5. But he helped win games like game 7 and game 5 against Phoenix. So at least he helped a team win occasionally. Barnes just helps you lose around 80-90 percent of the time.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Artest was worth the MLE when he was here and Barnes is worth the minimum. Hard to argue either should be paid more (I know no one is arguing that, just pointing out that they are/were what they are/were).
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
Horrible thread. Barnes sucked so much for us. All of the sudden he has a couple of good games and you're really gonna be blaming the FO? Ridiculous. Lock this one up.

Just ask yourself this. Matt Barnes or Wes Johnson?

Luckily, options exist to both.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Artest was worth the MLE when he was here and Barnes is worth the minimum. Hard to argue either should be paid more (I know no one is arguing that, just pointing out that they are/were what they are/were).

I wouldn't want Barnes for free. Complete waste of time and roster space.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Shalashaska wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Artest did more harm than good that series. That 3 point shot made so many forget about all of the dumb mistakes and missed shots he had during that series.
Ariza on the other hand played out his mind through the playoffs before and saved us on more than one occasion.
I also hold firm to this day that we would be sitting on another 3 peat if PJ did not foolishly bench Ariza during the first finals against the Celtics
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Shalashaska wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Artest did more harm than good that series. That 3 point shot made so many forget about all of the dumb mistakes and missed shots he had during that series.
Ariza on the other hand played out his mind through the playoffs before and saved us on more than one occasion.
I also hold firm to this day that we would be sitting on another 3 peat if PJ did not foolishly bench Ariza during the first finals against the Celtics

I'll always be thankful for that game 7 but you're right. Pierce also shot 43% that series too. There was only one game Pierce shot horribly from the field and the Celtics won that game...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Artest shot 40% FG% amd 29% 3PT% in those playoffs.
Ariza shot 50% FG% and 48% 3PT% during our championship playoffs run
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

I like MWP, but I don't look too fondly upon his time as a Laker. He repeatedly clanked wide open looks throughout his tenure as a Laker that even an average shooter would've feasted on. He made an impact defensively. However, he often hurt us offensively with his lack of efficiency.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

Trevor is shooting in these playoffs just like Ron did with us. IMO Trevor was just on a hot streak.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Trevor is shooting in these playoffs just like Ron did with us. IMO Trevor was just on a hot streak.

Yup. And he was exposed as a primary offensive option. Ariza is an excellent 3/4 option who can occasionally get hot and put up #2 type numbers.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Did some of you actually watch Artest in the playoffs? Where is this coming from where he was playing bad? He made one bone head mistake and that was in the Phoenix series and he made up for it with the put back.

If Artest isnt guarding Pierce in the Finals, Lakers would have lost that series and that is the TRUTH. He contained Pierce in all the games except Game 5. He harrassed Pierce, he took out Allen be kneeing his in the thigh and Allan wasnt never the same the rest of the series after Game 2. Had Allen not been in God mode in Game 2, Lakers would have won both games in LA, and probably finished Boston in 5 or 6. Artest was a big part of that.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Did some of you actually watch Artest in the playoffs? Where is this coming from where he was playing bad? He made one bone head mistake and that was in the Phoenix series and he made up for it with the put back.

If Artest isnt guarding Pierce in the Finals, Lakers would have lost that series and that is the TRUTH. He contained Pierce in all the games except Game 5. He harrassed Pierce, he took out Allen be kneeing his in the thigh and Allan wasnt never the same the rest of the series after Game 2. Had Allen not been in God mode in Game 2, Lakers would have won both games in LA, and probably finished Boston in 5 or 6. Artest was a big part of that.

Artest did a nice job on Pierce, but I don't think the Lakers did a bad job on him in 2008. Celts didn't have as much depth in 2010, and we had the homecourt advantage. Lakers beat them on the boards when it really mattered, and that wasn't the case in 2008. That flipped from -5 to +5 per game.

I don't think the real comparison isn't Artest vs. Ariza anyway. Artest was an upgrade over Radman, though.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:

His inconsistency on offense was a major problem. In some games he was on. In other games he threw up brick after brick (which hurts both the offense and the defense). He wasn't having a good series after the first 5 games and a lot of fans were fed up with him wishing Ariza was on the team. Then games 6 and 7 happened and all was forgiven.

I think people overrate Pierce on here a bit. I almost get the feeling that people think Pierce looked like MJ in 2008.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

these playoffs he's playing like a very solid "D and 3" wing player on a championship contender. I would choose this over any year Artest gave us.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2024-02-21/matt-barnes-dropped-as-sacramento-kings-analyst-crespi-harvard-westlake-incident

Quote:
Matt Barnes dropped as Sacramento Kings analyst weeks after incident at Crespi High game

Former UCLA and NBA forward Matt Barnes was reportedly dropped as a Sacramento Kings studio analyst by NBC Sports California nearly three weeks after he yelled at officials and confronted a student broadcaster from Studio City’s Harvard-Westlake School during a high school boys’ basketball game at Encino Crespi.

Barnes, 43, became irate after an official called a technical foul on one of his twin sons, who play for Crespi. Video posted to social media shows Barnes putting his right hand on the shoulder of Harvard-Westlake student Jake Lancer, who was broadcasting the game. Barnes and Lancer exchanged words before adults intervened.

The Sacramento Bee reported that Barnes no longer will serve as a Kings analyst, a job he’d held for three years. Barnes played 14 seasons in the NBA, including two with the Lakers, four with the Clippers and nearly two with the Kings. He played at UCLA from 1998-2002.

Barnes addressed the confrontation during an appearance Feb. 13 on “The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz.”

“I was yelling at the refs, Dan,” he told Le Batard. “I’ve yelled at the refs my entire college career, my 15-year NBA career. I coach AAU in the summertime, I have high school boys, and I have a 5-year-old coming down the pipeline, so I’m going to be doing a lot of yelling at the refs.

“This particular incident — I will say my one mistake was putting my hand on [Lancer’s] shoulder. A lot of people want to say I grabbed this kid or I did this — I literally put my hand on this kid’s shoulder because it was almost like I was talking to my son. ... So he and I had a little back and forth, and obviously ... for touching him, I was wrong. But I just didn’t like the disrespect that came with the entitlement where they felt like they could say anything to me.”

Lancer addressed the incident on social media, tweeting: “Last comment on the situation last night: I want to make it very clear that I never told [Barnes] to ‘shut up’ or anything close to that, he came up to me. All I wanted to do in the moment was get back to announcing the championship game.”

Harvard-Westlake backed Lancer in a tweet from the school account: “Harvard-Westlake is proud of Jake Lancer and the poise he showed on [Feb. 2] under unusual circumstances. Jake’s calm demeanor and professional focus are unparalleled in high school journalism and we are honored he is our lead commentator on HWTV.”

Barnes, who attended Del Campo High near Sacramento, was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence in 2010, although the alleged victim, Barnes’ fiancée, Gloria Govan, said, “Any accusations of domestic violence are false. My fiancée, Matt Barnes, has never physically abused me or my family.”

Govan is the mother of twins Carter and Isaiah Barnes, whose coach at Crespi is former Lakers guard Derek Fisher. In 2015, Barnes and Fisher were involved in a physical altercation when Barnes confronted Fisher about his relationship with Govan, who was estranged from Barnes. Fisher and Barnes have since resolved their differences.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: