ESPN Severs Ties With Grantland Founder Bill Simmons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
^^^Agree, AP. Bill's schtick is to be the outsider who can shoot from the hip and say anything about anyone. It was only a matter of time before his schtick caused more headaches than they were worth for his employer. I've been following him since his Boston Sports Guy days and mostly appreciate his schtick -- EXCEPT when it's directed at the Lakers.

Ad dollars is all about click bait now. Look at the portals at the bottom of the ESPN website. They all lead to fluff websites with lists, etc. That's where the money is. Msm is starting to wise up to what bloggers already were doing as far back as 15 years ago.

Fluff!? Fluff!!
People need to know who the 30 hottest athlete wives are!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
The shallow/TMZesque way ESPN covers sports equates to more $$$. It's just not my cup of tea, and a major reason why I don't take their analysis as gospel when we have sports debates on LG.

And wisely so. I wish more people would understand this.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
^^^Agree, AP. Bill's schtick is to be the outsider who can shoot from the hip and say anything about anyone. It was only a matter of time before his schtick caused more headaches than they were worth for his employer. I've been following him since his Boston Sports Guy days and mostly appreciate his schtick -- EXCEPT when it's directed at the Lakers.

Ad dollars is all about click bait now. Look at the portals at the bottom of the ESPN website. They all lead to fluff websites with lists, etc. That's where the money is. Msm is starting to wise up to what bloggers already were doing as far back as 15 years ago.

Fluff!? Fluff!!

Link?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, without guys like Simmons, Goodell doesn't discipline Brady to any real extent...
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:

na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey....goodbye~~~

screw this annoying dude, sick of his BS.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Fluff!? Fluff!!

Link?

Here ya go.

Last edited by kikanga on Mon May 11, 2015 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Anybody ever play "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego"?

Where in the World is Bill Simmons?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject:

He was making $5 million per. He may have overplayed his hand, time will tell.

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
He was making $5 million per. He may have overplayed his hand, time will tell.

That just never gets old!
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Fluff!? Fluff!!

Link?

Here ya go.

Khloe at #29? What is this site for? Cows?

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Fluff!? Fluff!!

Link?

Here ya go.

Lol..you had to go and click it?
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Hooray, he's finally out

I won't miss the guy. His basketball acumen is nothing special. He's not edgy or provocative, he's just odd. His writings are tedious, overworked and tangled in meanderings. The boy has yet to learn how to say concisely in ten words what he fumbles to say in ninety. Good riddance ! ESPN gets better by default, even if they choose to broadcast box scores and Mantovani in his segment.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
rwongega wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Fluff!? Fluff!!

Link?

Here ya go.

Lol..you had to go and click it?

My penis caused me to. Then it shriveled at #29.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Fluff!? Fluff!!

Link?

Here ya go.

That must be old. Kate Upton didn't make the list. I agree with the comment about Khloe K, but I guess some people see something in the Ks that evades me.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
rwongega wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Fluff!? Fluff!!

Link?

Here ya go.

That must be old. Kate Upton didn't make the list. I agree with the comment about Khloe K, but I guess some people see something in the Ks that evades me.

where did this one rank?

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject:

One slot ahead of Khloe.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Think the lesson to be learned here is no matter how much you think the company you work for values your contributions, you can be canned anytime and all your rights to the stuff you helped create goes to the company. Bill needs to create his own website, like TMZ where he has full control of his content.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Think the lesson to be learned here is no matter how much you think the company you work for values your contributions, you can be canned anytime and all your rights to the stuff you helped create goes to the company. Bill needs to create his own website, like TMZ where he has full control of his content.

I think the real issue is that Simmons thought his contributions were more important to ESPN than ESPN did. He thought he was untouchable, and his hubris brought him down. It's OK to project a public image as a rebel within a $50 billion media empire, but you'd also build some strong political ties within the organization.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Simmons is a good basketball writer (when he's not writing about Kobe Bryant), but he grabbed the tiger by the tail and got what was coming to him.

ESPN can't afford to have their theoretical "star" ripping the commissioner of their most important client. It's as simple as that. It was absolutely stupid on Simmons' part to do that (right up to the end no less), and shows an arrogance that is off the charts delusional on his part.

ESPN overvalued Simmons, and he clearly lost his mind. They don't need him. They won't lose any market share now that he's off to whatever ESPN wanna-be that decides to grossly overpay him next. Love 'em or hate 'em (and I'm in the latter camp), ESPN is the big dog, and Simmons became a moronic annoyance that had to go.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject:

He'll end up at Fox or Turner, and he'll end up making more money than he did at ESPN

The Fox one is where i hope he ends up, because i think it'd be hilarious for the NFL's influence to leave him at a major NFL broadcaster (The NFL's international broadcast strategy is pretty much dependent on Fox as News Corp is really the only US media outlet with international distribution) rather than the bastard step child.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
He'll end up at Fox or Turner, and he'll end up making more money than he did at ESPN

The Fox one is where i hope he ends up, because i think it'd be hilarious for the NFL's influence to leave him at a major NFL broadcaster (The NFL's international broadcast strategy is pretty much dependent on Fox as News Corp is really the only US media outlet with international distribution) rather than the bastard step child.

That's without a doubt imo.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject:

The thing about ESPN is...every time a "star" leaves there are 2-3 others already vying to replace him/her. They'll be fine.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:

I think it'd be even funnier if the NFL flexed their muscles to keep Simmons off Fox.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject:

Simmons won't appear on ESPN or Grantland any longer.

Quote:
There will be no farewell columns, podcasts or television appearances for Bill Simmons on ESPN.

SI has learned that ESPN and Simmons have worked out an agreement that officially ends his tenure as a front-facing employee for ESPN. Simmons sent an email to Grantland staffers this week informing them that he would no longer be working for the site he founded in 2011. Simmons will also no longer do podcasts or appear on television for ESPN.

An ESPN spokesperson declined comment Friday afternoon when contacted by SI. The Simmons camp has declined all interview requests since last week, including one from SI on Friday.

LINK
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Wow. I was starting to like that bastard, especially his podcasts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: