Who is worth the max this summer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

No one it mentioning Carroll...I'm not sure if he's restricted or not but he's definitely worth 4 years $40 million.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
FWIW, here's a Deandre Jordan/Goran Dragic comparison http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=dragigo01&p2=jordade01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

and then isolated for "best season" (my editorial cherry picking) http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=dragigo01&y1=2014&p2=jordade01&y2=2015&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=#advanced::none

Again, I don't see how he's not max if DJ is supposedly a no-brainer in that tax bracket.

Dragic will likely get max, I just wouldn't be the one to give it to him.

DJ just had one of the best rebounding seasons in NBA history, and ranked in the Top 10 in a whole slew of advanced stats. He's on a completely different level than Dragic, who doesn't do a whole lot to help you win games.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
No one it mentioning Carroll...I'm not sure if he's restricted or not but he's definitely worth 4 years $40 million.

He is unrestricted.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
FWIW, here's a Deandre Jordan/Goran Dragic comparison http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=dragigo01&p2=jordade01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

and then isolated for "best season" (my editorial cherry picking) http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=dragigo01&y1=2014&p2=jordade01&y2=2015&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=#advanced::none

Again, I don't see how he's not max if DJ is supposedly a no-brainer in that tax bracket.

DJ just had one of the best rebounding seasons in NBA history, and ranked in the Top 10 in a whole slew of advanced stats. He's on a completely different level than Dragic, who doesn't do a whole lot to help you win games.

Depends how you use him. If you look at his Win Share and Vorp in that second comparison, the year he was used properly and made 3rd team All NBA, the difference is small if not negligible in the latter cat.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sun May 17, 2015 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

Wouldn't surprise me if the Lakers ended up with Brook. He is one of the few big name guys who I think we have a shot at.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject:

And his injury history is a reason we would have a shot at him. He isn't like Love who has missed time with a variety of injuries, he has missed time because of bad feet. That is a big red flag. If he has missed time due to an ankle sprain, then a hammy, maybe a broken arm, then maybe you give him the benefit of the doubt. But chronic injuries are much more serious.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Max contract is a prove it to me kind of contract

Dr.JerryBuss wrote:
As many hope that we make a Splash in free agency this year. I will dispell the rumors regarding a max deal for Jimmy Butler. We do not dole out max deals for non-max players and young guns who are one hit wonders. He might pan out over time, but to go all in right now would be premature. We will reward those people that can handle the LA market, but to spend max money this summer is premature gossip. We will invest when that special someone comes along with that aura to handle the LA market.

For the time being it is build through the draft and managing our cap space wisely.

One hit wonder. That's a good one Doc.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully the Bulls have this mentality.
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:

The injuries are a concern. No question. Hopefully he turns out like Ilgauskas who had similar problems but after surgery was able to play for a long time.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Depends how you use him. If you look at his Win Share and Vorp in that second comparison, the year he was used properly and made 3rd team All NBA, the difference is small if not negligible in the latter cat.

He's been in the league for 7 years, and only one of them look like that. "The year he was used properly" lol.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dragic will likely get the max.

Yep, he's not worth it, but all the same get it...
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

He's been in the league for 7 years, and only one of them look like that. "The year he was used properly" lol.

He hit his prime. What relevance are his early years or this past season when he was playing the SF? I guess it was just a fluke then...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
And his injury history is a reason we would have a shot at him. He isn't like Love who has missed time with a variety of injuries, he has missed time because of bad feet. That is a big red flag. If he has missed time due to an ankle sprain, then a hammy, maybe a broken arm, then maybe you give him the benefit of the doubt. But chronic injuries are much more serious.

Question is, is it something like big z (or curry) that goes away, or structural like yao?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

He hit his prime. What relevance are his early years or this past season when he was playing the SF? I guess it was just a fluke then...

Fwiw, if you look at his splits of playing pg or shooting guard, the numbers held consistent.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

Question:

DJ, Love, And Dragic all agree to sign for the max. Who do you say yes to?

For me it's DJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Question:

For me it's DJ

Without knowing who we drafted?

If we get Towns, do we need DJ?

If we get Russell, do we need Dragic?

I think that's an important factor.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
Question:

For me it's DJ

I agree.

100% no to Love. He's irrelevant with Randle (why doesn't this love for Love go away by now). Otherwise, if we draft a big, then give the money to Dragic. If we draft a small, then give the money to DeAndre.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Question is, is it something like big z (or curry) that goes away, or structural like yao?

That is the question, at one time I thought GS would never get a full season out of Curry. I am of the mind that if you think you can get 70+ games from him each of the next 3 seasons, signing him is a no brainer.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
Question:

For me it's DJ

Good point. Since we don't know you can pick whichever combo you like.

Then we'll revisit this after June 25th lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

DJ or Dragic, I want no part of Love.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
Question:

For me it's DJ

Good point. Since we don't know you can pick whichever combo you like.

Then we'll revisit this after June 25th lol

Yup. I think the draft will help the team narrow down the options.
Dr.JerryBuss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Max contract is a prove it to me kind of contract

[quote="hoopla"]
Dr.JerryBuss wrote:
As many hope that we make a Splash in free agency this year. I will dispell the rumors regarding a max deal for Jimmy Butler. We do not dole out max deals for non-max players and young guns who are one hit wonders. He might pan out over time, but to go all in right now would be premature. We will reward those people that can handle the LA market, but to spend max money this summer is premature gossip. We will invest when that special someone comes along with that aura to handle the LA market.

For the time being it is build through the draft and managing our cap space wisely.
Why do you think Butler is a one hit wonder? As opposed to a bubbling star? Pre injury would you have paid Max for P.George? If the answer is Yes, then why not do the same with Butler who has proven to you he is very athletic and defensive minded since he was drafted. He then started to add to his offensive game. He's a guy you can go to for a basket, while actually gainng something on defense. I bet if Crawford played defense like butler you would think he was a max guy.

This is similar to what i said about marc gasol. How many other jimmy Butler's are in the nba? wing players who not only play high level defense, are athletic, can shoot the 3, and can score 18+ ppg? That are not already superstars? Klay thompson is one of them. Thats it. Those two guys are it, perhaps wiggins next season. Thats not a dime a dozen type player. We need a wing defender that can cover for old man kobe and take over after he's gone. Or at worse be a stop gap until we find the next kobe, remember eddie jones.. thats jimmy butler my friends.[/quote

As I have said many times over the years. In order to justify the a max contract in our MARKET a player must have star power and have a proven track record. Butler is improving, but is he the media star our MARKET needs? Guaranteed money shouldn't be dolled out unless my criteria is met. IF this was more like the NFL with non-guaranteed contracts then I would tend to agree with you. Remeber I have been the owner since before most of you were born. My track record speaks for itself. ]
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject:

When evaluating giving a player the max, you have to decide how much you really want that player. If he is a guy you really want, you pay what you have to sign him.
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

Honestly, only Lebron is WORTH the max in my book. But several players will get it, mostly because of circumstance and teams' fear of losing, or other teams' overpaying to get the players. ALL of the following will get the max one way or another:

Lebron
Marc Gasol (not worth it, but Memphis will overpay to keep him)
Lamarcus Aldridge
Jimmy Butler (not necessarily worth it, but because of his age, production, and the bump in the salary cap coming, he'll get it)
Kawai Leonard (see comment re: Butler above)
DeAndre Jordan (again, not worth it, but he's arguably the best defensive big in the game right now. And teams have to pay a premium for bigs.)

As for Kevin Love, he MAY get the max. Either way, I don't see him staying in Cleveland. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go somewhere like NY with Carmelo or even Indiana, to play with Paul George. I think Aldridge is a contender for both of those teams too.

I can't see the Lakers getting ANY of those players. First and foremost, most of those players (Kawai Leonard, Gasol, Lebron) have a LOT of incentive to stay: Gasol basically grew up in Memphis since HS, and do you REALLY think Leonard is going to leave Pop? No need to even discuss Lebron.

As for Love and Aldridge, it just doesn't make sense to give a PF a $100 million when you just spent a high lotto pick on one in last year's draft. You have to see what you have in Randle.

IF the Draft doesn't net the Lakers a big (which I actually think [hope] it will), then I think the Lakers just may offer a max K to Jordan. Reason being, Randle and whoever the non-big rook can potentially handle the scoring load, and having Jordan and three quality youngsters make the Lakers a lot more attractive for the BIG name Free agents down the road: Durant--or, most importantly--WESTBROOK.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

^ I wouldn't get hung up on the term "max" this offseason. it's a peculiar offseason where it's right before a massive cap increase.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11
Jump to: