Having #2 Pick would be the best position for Lakers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject:

I'd take russell over Okafor.

Towns ability to shoot the 3 and defend the paint scares the crap plot of me as it should every coach in the NBA that has to defend that. A full-time stretch 5 that can defend the paint and guard the PnR. That's just not fair smh

If you're not afraid of the t-wolves you should be because they are going to be unstoppable for a very long time.

I don't think Karl towns is a superstar but he's definately a cornerstone. His skillset is going to make whatever team he plays on very difficult to defend because guys like Levine are going to have a wife open lane to the basket all day long smh
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject:

True, there are some bigs on the market...But I wouldn't play Russian Roulette and take a risk at thinking we're a sure lock to land a big let alone any free agent in the Summer...I'd play it safe/smart and get the best player available. ..Towns/Okafor...We can't afford to get cute and think "Ahh..no big deal...we'll just sign a great big in July"...Front office has no room for arrogance especially now and what our beloved Lakers gone through the past few years
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Same. I don't see LA skip on whatever bigman is there. No way, Jose. They're too hard to obtain on the FA market or in trades and god knows they ain't cheap even when you can snag one. Poster/pal Birmingham tells me he doesn't like Okafor's defensive outlook. I agree he's not where Towns is, but I'd still wager one of my pink kidneys (non-smoker/drinker) that they don't think outside of the box after getting this refreshing bit of good fortune. Guards and forwards can be found. If you were to tell me 3 yrs ago that we were gonna have the 2nd and 7th picks and we could fill any two positions with them, I would've told you that I hope for a PF and a C. If Jahlil isn't everything you want as a defensive player, we can look to fill that bill elsewhere. I joked with you (WITH YOU, WITH YOU!!!, bro) above about the Oden-Bowie concerns, but this ain't that kinda deal. Either of the two are more than suitable to take with that pick. Anyone complaining about passing Russell is being a jive turkey. The backlash over passing up a potential star center (either of em) would be way too fierce.

Frankly, if our likelier option was Sam Bowie with no tibia issues, I'd take him with that 2nd pick and sleep well. The problem with him was the injuries, not his talent. He was good for us as a replacement for Vladimir/Elden at the end of his career. Okafor is probably further along offensively than Sam was at that point. Of course, Sam was a shot blocker, but all that's neither here nor there, I just wanted to hammer home the point that this is all relative. That 2nd pick is gonna be made for us by Minnesota and it's gonna be a big boy.

This year the market for bigs is MUCH better than it is elsewhere. DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Brook Lopez, Al Jefferson, Tyson Chandler, Roy Hibbert, Robin Lopez, Omer Asik...and then PFs like Lamarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, & Paul Millsap.

You're starting to wear me down on this D'Angelo R'Ussell kid. Maybe I -can- see the MVP season of C'Urry being fresh on their minds as well as the coming retirement of K'Obe. Maybe you -have- shown me the light. What would we be with a perimeter scorer and/or reputed shooter and/or a facilitator in lieu of our latest talented pivot?
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject:

The perception is the #2 or #3 picks would be "easier" to make in regards to the general fanbase opinion. Sad thing is though, most fans won't own up to being right there with the Griz for taking Thabeet and so forth.

If they landed #1, the board would be at odds even after the draft, but if they took the better prospect that would be a better actual result. So sure, landing the #1 is better, but I think the OP was regarding accountability to the fans (if you value that). The fourth or fifth spot could be really open, they'd be pulled apart for taking a PG that can't shoot or maybe a euro that isn't ready.

In comparing 2 and 3, the 2 pick puts you in the driver seat for either big or Russell. I don't like the theory that taking Russell and going for a big makes Russell the better pick. If they strike out on Love/LMA/Jordan/Gasol/ect.. then it shouldn't make taking Russell a bad idea. Okafor could and should (IMO) have a better career and be the better pick. The 3rd pick may be the easiest of all the picks, but they're sitting very pretty from a fans perspective where they're at.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: