Would you sign Rondo? At what price?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you sign Rondo? At what price?
Not at any price
48%
 48%  [ 14 ]
Yes, but only for the minimum
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Yes, I'd go up to $5 million
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
Yes, I'd go up to $10 million
13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Yes, I'd go up to the MAX
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 29

gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Would you sign Rondo? At what price?

Just curious what the board consensus is. Personally I'd go up to 5 million for him.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Pass.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Why is "Ryan Kelly's soul" not an option?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject:

Although cap hits concern me re: Rondo, it's everything else that is a red flag for me.

I still think the FO sees it something like:

max: 0%
15-18m: 5%
12-15m: 10%
9-12m: 25%
5-8m: 50%
under 5m: > 50%
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject:

For the sake of "what if..."

Let's say that Rondo agreed to come for between 18 and 22 million over 3 years with the 3rd year being a team option. If that was the case, does anyone really see him being able to coexist with coach Scott? Does anyone think that having the opportunity to get Rondo is a good enough reason to fire Scott, pay Scott anyways and then hire and pay yet another coach? Sure, we might as well pay yet another head coach.

I used to respect Rondo as a player before his injury. Everyone said he could never shoot. Yet, he hit clutch shots in the playoffs quite frequently. So, I could really give a hoot about his regular season stats when he was always top3 in both assists and overall pg defense. But, all of that is part of the past now. He's not capable of being that level of player any longer. Even if we were able to pair him with Thibs as his coach (the only one I think that can really coach him and get results at this stage) I would probably still pass on the whole situation.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject:

No. Not even if he paid us the MAX and it gave us extra cap room somehow
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

No, not under any circumstance or any price.
:Worthy Mamba Magic:
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject:

3-4 mil per and agreed to be the bench spark plug. in other words....no

Illiterate's could read the literature in my scriptures...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject:

I would not sign him except for minimum or no more than 3.5ish mil/year
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject:

If the only PG that is currently not a Laker from the past season willing to come ends up being Rondo - would most fans be content to see the FO resign Lin as the backup to Jordan while he continues to develop?

It seems that there's no middle ground when it comes to Lin. Fans either like him or despise him. I think he can be a solid change of pace backup PG for this team at least for the next couple of years until a better option presents itself. Say - between 8 and 10 million over 3 years? I really have no idea what the market for Lin will be.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
If the only PG that is currently not a Laker from the past season willing to come ends up being Rondo - would most fans be content to see the FO resign Lin as the backup to Jordan while he continues to develop?

It seems that there's no middle ground when it comes to Lin. Fans either like him or despise him. I think he can be a solid change of pace backup PG for this team at least for the next couple of years until a better option presents itself. Say - between 8 and 10 million over 3 years? I really have no idea what the market for Lin will be.

I'd take Lin back over Rondo without hesitation, but no way should we pay him that much. $5m/year TOPS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject:

I'm not a Lin fan but even I'd take him over a cancer and poor shooter like Rondo.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Rek wrote:

I'd take Lin back over Rondo without hesitation, but no way should we pay him that much. $5m/year TOPS.

I meant 8 to 10 million over the course of 3 years - not per season.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
22 wrote:
Rek wrote:

I meant 8 to 10 million over the course of 3 years - not per season.

oh ok, got you
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject:

No worries, I wasn't very specific on that proposition. I suspect Lin will be looking for more per season. But, even 4 million per would be solid. I think he's a bit underrated. He just needs consistent minutes and will typically give solid production. Sometimes he racks up stats like a starter. He reminds me of Ramon Sessions in that respect.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

I'll pay him whatever we can with what ever is left after we sign a max player.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't pick him up for a bag of potato chips. JJ Barea and Austin Rivers look much better than they are against that Rockets D. If Rondo can't succeed when those guys can, then I don't want him on this team.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject:

It's hard to tell what his value really is anymore. He improved his FG% and 3pt% (by 10%) and still had a disaster of a year when you consider his relationship with players and the coach.

I think Rondo sees the right scenario as more valuable than a few extra million. LA would really have to pick up a lot of extra shooters for even a 15mpg backup PG role to make sense, and even then would Rondo comply? I think being Chicago's backup, back with Tibs (if he stays) where they have bigs with range makes sense. Might as well try and win a ring and sit behind a player that could go down any minute.

If I'm LA, I spend my cap space wisely. Say a max player and a solid role player with the remainder. They could get someone younger and more stable with their room. If Rondo wants to take the room ex, I'm fine with that but again I doubt it's the right fit unless Kobe wows him.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
I'm not a Lin fan but even I'd take him over a cancer and poor shooter like Rondo.

Other than assist rate, I don't actually think Rondo does anything better (or even close to as well) as Lin. As was shown in the analytics thread in the Lounge, Lin is actually not bad, just utilized in the wrong way by Scott (not surprising).

Rondo just doesn't do anything well anymore. Maybe it is all attitude, who knows. Maybe if he plays with his buddy Kobe he'll get it together. Then again, it is equally likely that Kobe strangles him....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: