So Glad Howard Left.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
ocho wrote:
That summer my feeling was the best course of action would be to sign him so you could trade him. 2nd choice was let him walk. Distant 3rd option would be to keep him long term. I feel the same way today.

That one lone season, it just felt that team would never come together. Dwight started off hurt, then Nash was hurt, then Kobe got hurt at the end of the season. Maybe they would not have been friends, but I just wish we could have had 1 season together where they were relatively healthy. Obviously, from Dwight's standpoint, you had Kobe with a torn Achilles and he probably thought that the Lakers would be a sinking ship. In a sense he was right, but the boat jumped off to isn't exactly tearing up the postseason seas.

Aside from forcing his way to GS, where could he have gone that would be having better postseason success?

I remember the hours leading up to when he signed with the Rox, hoping that the Lakers/Warriors could do a S&T that would get Klay to the Lakers.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Well, Orlando Dwight was a monster. Didn't need a post game.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Sure, but I also think he benefited from being in a conference that didn't have a lot of big men in the playoffs.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Blessing in disguise! Better to be lucky than good, right?

FO dodged a major bullet. I didnt have as big an issue as many that blasted FO and Kobe for losing out on D12. What would Bynum had really gotten us?

I only wish D12 put us on the do not trade list so he would never come close to donning the P&G. And yeah the #Stay campaign was bad, but at least Jeanie owned up to it.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Sure, but I also think he benefited from being in a conference that didn't have a lot of big men in the playoffs.

And being in Van Gundy's offense, on a team filled with shooters.

Hell, the go-to guy in crunch time on that team was Hedo Freaking Turkoglu. Not Dwight.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Yes and no. I know this is going to come across as petty, but a big part of that was the system. Yes Dwight was a physical marvel and what he did well he did two levels better than anyone else. But the fact that he didn't have a balanced game or more specifically that the holes in his game were so significant, he wasn't the type of player that could lead you to a championship.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject:

SO glad.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

It showed once he got to the Finals and was handled by Pau. Pau wasn't the greatest defender out there, but as I argued so many times in so many threads before we traded for him, it is easy to shut down a guy who quits when the going gets tough.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject:

I agree. I wanted it to work but the guy is a sheer clown and was better at a younger age than now.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject:

Dwight was Andre Drummond on steroids early on his career. Too bad he turned into a center version of Josh Smith.
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject:

Agreed.
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Then why did we trade for him?

Why did the FO do that ridiculous #stay campaign.

I'd love to think that it was a grand master plan to trade for Dwight, but knowing we "really didn't want to keep him b/c we wanted to eventually tank and not keep Kobe/Dwight core."

Then soon thereafter the team locked up Kobe on a huge extension.

So if the FO had its wishes, we may have had a Kobe/Dwight/Melo (?) team this summer.

I guess we were fortunate that it didn't happen.

why #stay?

Because it's Dwight Howard... that was really the best attempt... and it woulda worked if they got rid of Kobe (lol).

That's how DH12 works and fundamentally why it's great he's gone.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject:

Glad because you enjoyed watching the team lose worse than ever in its era in LA?

Glad because no all star FA ever took the Lakers seriously the last two years because they had no one to team up with?

Glad because now 2 years later you'll look to sign a free agent Center who will cost just as much as Dwight only wont be anywhere near the player?

The only positive in Dwight leaving was the lottery picks. However, once he left for nothing it set back LA years. It killed any shot they had of getting back to a strong position in the West for years. Even if we make some good FA signings this summer we aren't even a lock for the playoffs.

I get that people don't like Dwight, that's cool. But losing him for nothing will always be a huge set back for us, regardless of what he does in his career elsewhere.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject:

Letting him walk for nothing was the worst possible outcome. I believe Dr Buss never would have let that happen. He would have persuaded him to buy into this team or he would have shipped his ass out and got compensation. The Lakers would have been in a much better position the last few years if either of those had happened.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Glad because you enjoyed watching the team lose worse than ever in its era in LA?

Glad because no all star FA ever took the Lakers seriously the last two years because they had no one to team up with?

Glad because now 2 years later you'll look to sign a free agent Center who will cost just as much as Dwight only wont be anywhere near the player?

The only positive in Dwight leaving was the lottery picks. However, once he left for nothing it set back LA years. It killed any shot they had of getting back to a strong position in the West for years. Even if we make some good FA signings this summer we aren't even a lock for the playoffs.

I get that people don't like Dwight, that's cool. But losing him for nothing will always be a huge set back for us, regardless of what he does in his career elsewhere.

Well on the flip side, I'm glad we got him, even considering the 1st round loss last year and the flameout this year. I HATED getting the #14 pick each year and players like Harden clearly need all the playoff experience they can get. Looking at who went where the last two summers, I'm not seeing what we could have spent our $$ on to be in a better situation.

Now if his knee is shot I'll change my mind.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Well on the flip side, I'm glad we got him, even considering the 1st round loss last year and the flameout this year. I HATED getting the #14 pick each year and players like Harden clearly need all the playoff experience they can get. Looking at who went where the last two summers, I'm not seeing what we could have spent our $$ on to be in a better situation.

first of all in today's diluted college talent pool there's no difference between a 14th pick and 31st pick (whatever the last pick in 1st rd is). this isn't NFL draft which talent drop off is huge from pick to pick. secondly, Dwight is almost 30 with bad knees and limited post game. those are lethal combination for an aging big man. i was rooting for Lakers resign Dwight, but not because i believe he's capable of leading us to a title, but using him to attract other young stars come to Lakers.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Gotta disagree with the main point of your post Wolf. The bolded is HUGE.

And as Houston is proving, you can't win with Dwight as a main cog. Would we have had a better record with him here? Sure. But we'd be at best a middle of the pack team and far from sniffing a title. We'd be worse than a lottery team because we'd be in NBA purgatory.

I'd much rather have a less talented C who plays within himself with a good attitude (see DeAndre Jordan) than Dwight.

Now you can argue that we failed to get assets for him leaving. That's a fair criticism. But to me it's clear we were better off losing him for nothing than if he had chosen to re-sign. Especially when you add in the health concerns.

It hasn't profited Dwight at all to leave LA. No championship & now he's not even an all-star
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Is the knee injury a long-term issue? Between his back, shoulder, and knee, he could be done.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

And as Houston is proving, you can't win with Dwight as a main cog. Would we have had a better record with him here? Sure. But we'd be at best a middle of the pack team and far from sniffing a title. We'd be worse than a lottery team because we'd be in NBA purgatory.

I'd much rather have a less talented C who plays within himself with a good attitude (see DeAndre Jordan) than Dwight.

Now you can argue that we failed to get assets for him leaving. That's a fair criticism. But to me it's clear we were better off losing him for nothing than if he had chosen to re-sign. Especially when you add in the health concerns.

It hasn't profited Dwight at all to leave LA. No championship & now he's not even an all-star

If howard stays, not only do the lakers not have randle or the potential top five pick, but they don't have any other star guy with dwight because he and Kobe use up all the cap until 2016.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

Quote:
@ZachLowe_NBA: Dwight is 5-of-18 on post-ups vs Clips. Upside: he draws lots of fouls. Downside: He has to shoot the foul shots. Maybe just stop posting DJ
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
22 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

If howard stays, not only do the lakers not have randle or the potential top five pick, but they don't have any other star guy with dwight because he and Kobe use up all the cap until 2016.

Ouch! Just thinking about that hurts my soul 24. lol

Would have been a disaster
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
24 wrote:
22 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Ouch! Just thinking about that hurts my soul 24. lol

Would have been a disaster

The one thing the FO did right was not compound one mistake with another.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
22 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

And with Kobe's injuries all Dwight gets you is a mediocre pick. We'd be capped out with bad picks and wouldn't even make the playoffs. Howard has no history of being a FA draw. Oh and he's starting to break down. Keeping Dwight would have only delayed the rebuild we would have had to endure anyway.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

With Dwight, we might be stuck in purgatory for a while, 42-45 wins for next 2-3 yrs. That would just push the inevitable (last yr) down little farther down, maybe in 2017. Is that really much better?

What do you think we could've gotten for Bynum instead? Maybe a young PG like Jrue Holiday and some draft picks...

I do also wish we never traded for him after his primadonna attitude were getting exposed in Orlando and he started to sour on Lakers. As much as he resented Kobe's Chandler comments, in Houston he is doing exactly that. Like I said, I don't have an issue with him walking out. Houston has a ref-dependent choke artist and a talented but delusional center who thinks he has post game. Ariza signing was a good one, I'll give them that.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Is the knee injury a long-term issue? Between his back, shoulder, and knee, he could be done.

I'm not sure, because he's looked pretty spry this postseason and they never really went into what the injury was.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: