So Glad Howard Left.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject:

I'm by no means a Dwight fan, but man, all those baby mommas are going to circle around him like a vulture once he retires.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

And with Kobe's injuries all Dwight gets you is a mediocre pick.

I agree that resigning him would have been bad, but I don't agree that he only would have fetched a mediocre pick. He likely would have fetched you what the Cavs gave up for Love, if we are honest about it. And even if that weren't the case, we have seen far worse C's get flipped this season for quality returns. We got what should have been a lotto pick for Asik (18th pick instead). Denver got a very good return from Mozgov (two 1sts). The 1st coming from Memphis is only top 5 protected in 2017 and 2018, and unprotected in 2019. That's a very good pick. The 1st from Denver is lotto protected until 2017, and then it converts to two 2nds.

Howard would nab significantly more than a mediocre pick, even if we were to trade him now after the injuries this year.

Edit: I think I read your post wrong. If you were saying a team with Howard and no Kobe just gets you a mediocre pick, you are right. Keeping him would not have been best.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Glad because you enjoyed watching the team lose worse than ever in its era in LA?

Glad because no all star FA ever took the Lakers seriously the last two years because they had no one to team up with?

Glad because now 2 years later you'll look to sign a free agent Center who will cost just as much as Dwight only wont be anywhere near the player?

The only positive in Dwight leaving was the lottery picks. However, once he left for nothing it set back LA years. It killed any shot they had of getting back to a strong position in the West for years. Even if we make some good FA signings this summer we aren't even a lock for the playoffs.

I get that people don't like Dwight, that's cool. But losing him for nothing will always be a huge set back for us, regardless of what he does in his career elsewhere.

With Dwight, we might be stuck in purgatory for a while, 42-45 wins for next 2-3 yrs. That would just push the inevitable (last yr) down little farther down, maybe in 2017. Is that really much better?

What do you think we could've gotten for Bynum instead? Maybe a young PG like Jrue Holiday and some draft picks...

I do also wish we never traded for him after his primadonna attitude were getting exposed in Orlando and he started to sour on Lakers. As much as he resented Kobe's Chandler comments, in Houston he is doing exactly that. Like I said, I don't have an issue with him walking out. Houston has a ref-dependent choke artist and a talented but delusional center who thinks he has post game. Ariza signing was a good one, I'll give them that.

42-45 wins might be generous. Anthony Davis only won 45 after his incredible season. Houston had more success because of Harden but our team doesn't have a guy who can finish 2nd in the MVP voting and Kobe can't stay healthy.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Glad because you enjoyed watching the team lose worse than ever in its era in LA?

Glad because no all star FA ever took the Lakers seriously the last two years because they had no one to team up with?

Glad because now 2 years later you'll look to sign a free agent Center who will cost just as much as Dwight only wont be anywhere near the player?

The only positive in Dwight leaving was the lottery picks. However, once he left for nothing it set back LA years. It killed any shot they had of getting back to a strong position in the West for years. Even if we make some good FA signings this summer we aren't even a lock for the playoffs.

I get that people don't like Dwight, that's cool. But losing him for nothing will always be a huge set back for us, regardless of what he does in his career elsewhere.

With Dwight, we might be stuck in purgatory for a while, 42-45 wins for next 2-3 yrs. That would just push the inevitable (last yr) down little farther down, maybe in 2017. Is that really much better?

What do you think we could've gotten for Bynum instead? Maybe a young PG like Jrue Holiday and some draft picks...

I do also wish we never traded for him after his primadonna attitude were getting exposed in Orlando and he started to sour on Lakers. As much as he resented Kobe's Chandler comments, in Houston he is doing exactly that. Like I said, I don't have an issue with him walking out. Houston has a ref-dependent choke artist and a talented but delusional center who thinks he has post game. Ariza signing was a good one, I'll give them that.

42-45 wins might be generous. Anthony Davis only won 45 after his incredible season. Houston had more success because of Harden but our team doesn't have a guy who can finish 2nd in the MVP voting and Kobe can't stay healthy.

But he certainly lowers the pic that became randle, probably into the late lotto or low non lotto (mid teens), and almost certainly keeps you out of the top 5 this year.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
He's good, but never deserved the attention he got during those two "Decision" years. Not even close.

^^

I will hate Stern forever!! Worst a-hole ever to effect the league.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject:

My hate for Dwight is not as strong as some posters here (including fellow laker friends of mine who seem to hate him just as much). He always maintained that he was going to wait until Free agency before making a commitment to a team. To me, the Lakers took a big gamble trading for him without any assurances. To make matter worse we spurned the coach he wanted (Phil) for one he would never be on the same page with (MDA). Not surprised he left.

That being said, DJ is making a bigger impact than Dwight in this series. Dwight clearly will never be close to the class of KAJ or Shaq. I'd even take prime Pau over him anyday. I'm more disappointed the way the FO handled the Dwight issue (trading for him without any commitment, then losing him for nothing) than him actually leaving.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
I'm more disappointed the way the FO handled the Dwight issue (trading for him without any commitment, then losing him for nothing) than him actually leaving.

I agree with that on it's face value. But, what were the other options? We almost certainly would have handed Bynum a huge 5 year contract if we hadn't traded for Howard. Unless there was a better trade out there for Bynum, I can't fault them.

The part that I regret is that after we landed Howard - that convinced our FO to "swing for the fences" and go for the Nash trade. That trade with all the picks set this franchise back way more than trading for Dwight.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
I'm more disappointed the way the FO handled the Dwight issue (trading for him without any commitment, then losing him for nothing) than him actually leaving.

I agree with that on it's face value. But, what were the other options? We almost certainly would have handed Bynum a huge 5 year contract if we hadn't traded for Howard. Unless there was a better trade out there for Bynum, I can't fault them.

The part that I regret is that after we landed Howard - that convinced our FO to "swing for the fences" and go for the Nash trade. That trade with all the picks set this franchise back way more than trading for Dwight.

The Nash trade was before the Howard trade. I remember starting a thread asking if the trade for Nash was enough to beat the Thunder. Here's a link (I find the comments to be interesting looking back on it).

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=4560214&highlight=#4560214
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject:

It's interesting to observe a guy like Dwight never really improve his skills while another hyper-athletic player in Blake seems to be getting better each year.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
It's interesting to observe a guy like Dwight never really improve his skills while another hyper-athletic player in Blake seems to be getting better each year.

Blake even had similar FT woes, bottoming out his sophomore year at 52%. He now shoots 72%.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:

That's really not surprising. Blake entered the league with a better skillset. He just didnt have a solid jumper. He was super-athletic but still wasn't bigger than everyone, so he had to add stuff to his game. Howard came in and had quick success (Finals trip) just based off his size and athleticism.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

That's really not surprising. Blake entered the league with a better skillset. He just didnt have a solid jumper. He was super-athletic but still wasn't bigger than everyone, so he had to add stuff to his game. Howard came in and had quick success (Finals trip) just based off his size and athleticism.

He took 5 years to get to the Finals. What does that have to do with not significantly improving on his game?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

He took 5 years to get to the Finals. What does that have to do with not significantly improving on his game?

You see, he didn't need to improve anything, what with all the championships he was winning.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Leading a team to the Finals in 5 years is pretty quick, especially when you came straight out of high school and do it at 23. I didn't say he shouldn't have improved his game. I'm saying it's not surprising that someone who was so dominant off physical stature didn't take the time to improve their game.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

here's my take. YES, Dwight said he wouldn't make a decision for any team he's traded to with regards to making a commitment until the off-season...

but about a month or so before the trade deadline, our FO should have been asking him if he was going to stay...

if he still would not give an answer as we got close to the trade deadline, we should have gotten him and his agent into a room and laid it out.

"Dwight, tell us if you are going to stay. if you refuse to commit, we are going to trade you. we CAN NOT risk being left holding the bag".

Goldenwest wrote:
My hate for Dwight is not as strong as some posters here (including fellow laker friends of mine who seem to hate him just as much). He always maintained that he was going to wait until Free agency before making a commitment to a team. To me, the Lakers took a big gamble trading for him without any assurances. To make matter worse we spurned the coach he wanted (Phil) for one he would never be on the same page with (MDA). Not surprised he left.

That being said, DJ is making a bigger impact than Dwight in this series. Dwight clearly will never be close to the class of KAJ or Shaq. I'd even take prime Pau over him anyday. I'm more disappointed the way the FO handled the Dwight issue (trading for him without any commitment, then losing him for nothing) than him actually leaving.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Melo took the Lakers very seriously, don't misrepresent what happened. Whatever center we get likely won't quit on us like Howard did or be a mental midget. Howard was a poor ft here, it was best for both to part ways.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Melo took the Lakers very seriously, don't misrepresent what happened. Whatever center we get likely won't quit on us like Howard did or be a mental midget. Howard was a poor ft here, it was best for both to part ways.

Melo didn't consider LA as a serious option and this is from his own mouth because "it would be just him and Kobe and he wouldn't have gotten any closer to the top than staying with NY". Basically he's said that he was appealed by LAs bright lights glamor respect for Kobe etc. but he didn't see a way he would be playing with a good roster. Teaming up is the it thing right now. Guys want to go to teams they know a star in prime is already there. If in 2 years Dwight hasn't drawn someone significant (and that would have been by this offseason) then you deal him away to the best bidder. Don't see the huge burden or value lost in an all star C signing with a team. You use his status as an all star in his 20s to draw other FAs. If it doesn't work you trade him because he isn't good enough to win as a #1 option.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
67ShelbyGT wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

But he certainly lowers the pic that became randle, probably into the late lotto or low non lotto (mid teens), and almost certainly keeps you out of the top 5 this year.

This year? he likely makes the laker pick better because he simply wasn't healthy (and wouldn't have returned, so less than 30 games, and most of those unhealthy), and between him and kobe, they'd be eating almost the whole cap.

Last year? sure, but that's a lot to put on a #7 pick whose played 14 minutes
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers roster this year is much different if Howard stays.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Leading a team to the Finals in 5 years is pretty quick, especially when you came straight out of high school and do it at 23. I didn't say he shouldn't have improved his game. I'm saying it's not surprising that someone who was so dominant off physical stature didn't take the time to improve their game.

The lengths Houston fans go to protect their own is almost admirable. 5 years is quick success? Its the EC, a crappy Nets team made it twice, Pacers, etc. Its the JV conf by a mile.

On the other laughable excuse, Dwight is also undersized for a center. Blake was not all that skilled either when he got in. He'd try to barrel you until he was close enough to dunk on you. Looks like he looked at Malone tapes and tried to model his game after that. His jumper isnt the only thing improved. He is much better in the post and doesnt whine every play for the ball.

I used to think Shaq didnt add much to his game since rookie season but Dwight took that to another level. At least Shaq perfected a jump hook and decent turnaround.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

That's a huge understatement. His jumper was so horrible. As recently as two years ago I thought Blake wasn't that good and seriously questioned if he ever would live up to the hype. It wasn't that long ago when Howard was clearly the better player, and Blake has clearly gotten better than him.

Nobody would ever try the Hack-a-Shaq on Blake today. That strategy would destroy a team. Dwight on the other hand can't even do something as fundamental as making free throws, even though that has clearly hurt his game a lot for how many years now?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Nobody would ever try the Hack-a-Shaq on Blake today. That strategy would destroy a team. Dwight on the other hand can't even do something as fundamental as making free throws, even though that has clearly hurt his game a lot for how many years now?

To be fair, there are lots of centers in the Hall of Fame who were terrible free-throwers. And there are lots of theories for why 7-footers tend to be poor at the line, from concentration, to size of their hands, to poor form because no one seems to grasp that 7-footers need a different release point on their free throws than smaller players. The reasons are probably complex and multi-facted, so I wouldn't brush this off as a fundamental. For a guard yes, but not for a 7-footer.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

To be fair, there are lots of centers in the Hall of Fame who were terrible free-throwers. And there are lots of theories for why 7-footers tend to be poor at the line, from concentration, to size of their hands, to poor form because no one seems to grasp that 7-footers need a different release point on their free throws than smaller players. The reasons are probably complex and multi-facted, so I wouldn't brush this off as a fundamental. For a guard yes, but not for a 7-footer.

Conversely, there are plenty of 7 footers who are good FT shooters. I agree that it is more difficult with gigantic hands to have a consistent FT stroke, but I don't see Kawhi Leonard having issues. Dwight probably could have found something that worked for him with enough practice. But he admittedly refuses to change anything about it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Melo didn't consider LA as a serious option and this is from his own mouth because "it would be just him and Kobe and he wouldn't have gotten any closer to the top than staying with NY". Basically he's said that he was appealed by LAs bright lights glamor respect for Kobe etc. but he didn't see a way he would be playing with a good roster. Teaming up is the it thing right now. Guys want to go to teams they know a star in prime is already there. If in 2 years Dwight hasn't drawn someone significant (and that would have been by this offseason) then you deal him away to the best bidder. Don't see the huge burden or value lost in an all star C signing with a team. You use his status as an all star in his 20s to draw other FAs. If it doesn't work you trade him because he isn't good enough to win as a #1 option.

Dwight is a joiner, not an attractor. No one has ever come to play with him. Things worked out best for both sides, I don't see why we have to lament him leaving. It is the best for the Lakers in the long run. Building around a false star is not the way to win. Houston is thrilled with 2nd round losses, so it was a great deal for them. The Lakers are finally doing the rebuild they should have started in 2011, so good for them as well. It worked out fine for both parties.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Dwight is a joiner, not an attractor. No one has ever come to play with him. Things worked out best for both sides, I don't see why we have to lament him leaving. It is the best for the Lakers in the long run. Building around a false star is not the way to win. Houston is thrilled with 2nd round losses, so it was a great deal for them. The Lakers are finally doing the rebuild they should have started in 2011, so good for them as well. It worked out fine for both parties.

I don't lament him leaving (though I lament #Stay), but can I lament him coming to begin with?

Such a unique situation, though. Great physical talent #1 player talent, combined with the lack of leadership and maturity qualities required to become a #1 for us. I doubt we ever had such a choice in franchise history.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: