Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Who gives a (bleep) if it's moral or practical.

I do and you should. Satisfying your bloodlust can't be the only reason for policy.

By the way, I like who you cut and pasted the only sentence in there to back up your review. You work in newspapers or media? Nice manipulation. You should get a raise.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
ocho wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

I do and you should. Satisfying your bloodlust can't be the only reason for policy.

By the way, I like who you cut and pasted the only sentence in there to back up your review. You work in newspapers or media? Nice manipulation. You should get a raise.

I snipped your quote to save space and to highlight the question you asked. Did you feel your meat grinder fantasy needed a second printing?
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
ocho wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

I snipped your quote to save space and to highlight the question you asked. Did you feel your meat grinder fantasy needed a second printing?

You tell me?:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BH7UvlcCYAISsl_.jpg:large

(GRAPHIC, ONLY CLICK IF YOU CAN HANDLE)

Are my words worse than this? This poor guy went to freakin run and enjoy his accomplishment. And what does he get? He gets maimed And for what? What if this was your dad or brother, or uncle or son? Go, go ahead....

Last edited by Oliver Reed on Mon May 18, 2015 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
ocho wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
ocho wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

You tell me?:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BH7UvlcCYAISsl_.jpg:large

(GRAPHIC, ONLY CLICK IF YOU CAN HANDLE)

Are my words worse than this? This poor guy went to freakin run and enjoy his accomplishment. And what does he get? He gets maimed And for what? What if this was your dad or brother, or uncle or son? Go, go ahead....

No, your words aren't worse than that. I don't think you should be killed for your words or punished in any way. You have the right to express a belief freely. Tsarnaev should lose his freedom forever and be removed from society. None of this changes the fact that you both agree that killing is ok as long as you feel it is justified. He feels as strongly as you do.

If it were my dad or brother I would feel no joy in knowing he was executed. I would prefer he go to prison forever and live as long as possible. More death doesn't turn me on.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:

^^^Then you are a better man then I am
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
^^^Then you are a better man then I am

Btw if that really had happened to a member of my family and you ask me the same question that day, I might sing a different tune out of emotion and anger. We have to strive to be better than our worst impulses, especially when it is least convenient.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject:

Hate these types of discussions because it always ends up with people saying "well if you're for the death penalty than you are Tsarnaev"

Oversimplification at its finest.

(And only second it annoyance factor, to people who insert ridiculously long links to break the thread. Thanks a lot).
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Hate these types of discussions because it always ends up with people saying "well if you're for the death penalty than you are Tsarnaev"

(And only second it annoyance factor, to people who insert ridiculously long links to break the thread. Thanks a lot).

I know I know, I (bleep) up, and I couldnt change it fast enough before there was a reply. I (bleep) up. Sorry.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I know I know, I (bleep) up, and I couldnt change it fast enough before there was a reply. I (bleep) up. Sorry.

You are hereby sentenced to DEATH!
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Why should he get off so easy?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

The long thread makes reading it difficult. Mods have the ability shorten the link. The poster does also.

I've PM Mods and posters in the past to no avail.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I suggest penal colonies for certain infractions. If properly run they could be useful to society as a whole. I've read horror stories about penal colonies which is why I prefaced, properly run.

This talks to my one state solution. Take one state that's sparsely populated (Wyoming), build a wall around it, implement containment protocols, and release convicts "into the wild". They create their own rules, punishments, and are allowed to operate in a shadow society all of their own making & choosing. They've proven they can't live with the rules of our society, so give them their own.

Nothing from the outside is allowed in. If they want electricity, then they'll have to mine the raw materials, build smelting plants to manufacture the steel necessary to provision electrical facilities which they build from scratch. Same goes for weapons, food, and anything else they desire. They have to build it. But any success they find is theirs. If they kill each other off, so be it - it's their world and their rules. Basically you're giving them an exit pass from this society and into the unknown.

So...Australia?

What You Talkin Bout Willis?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

The long thread makes reading it difficult. Mods have the ability shorten the link. The poster does also.

I've PM Mods and posters in the past to no avail.

People don't use tinyurl.com for the same reason they just post their question hoping someone else will google it for them.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I suggest penal colonies for certain infractions. If properly run they could be useful to society as a whole. I've read horror stories about penal colonies which is why I prefaced, properly run.

This talks to my one state solution. Take one state that's sparsely populated (Wyoming), build a wall around it, implement containment protocols, and release convicts "into the wild". They create their own rules, punishments, and are allowed to operate in a shadow society all of their own making & choosing. They've proven they can't live with the rules of our society, so give them their own.

Nothing from the outside is allowed in. If they want electricity, then they'll have to mine the raw materials, build smelting plants to manufacture the steel necessary to provision electrical facilities which they build from scratch. Same goes for weapons, food, and anything else they desire. They have to build it. But any success they find is theirs. If they kill each other off, so be it - it's their world and their rules. Basically you're giving them an exit pass from this society and into the unknown.

Will this be televised? Or live-feed online?

Uhh Hello! HBO Pay-Per-View. Duh...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

“You can judge a society by how well it treats its prisoners”.

Fyodor Dostoevsky

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"

Ghandi
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ghandi

"Thou Shalt Not Kill"

God
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
24 wrote:

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ghandi

"Thou Shalt Not Kill"

God

That isn't a strong pro-death penalty sentiment to be quoting.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
24 wrote:

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ghandi

"Thou Shalt Not Kill"

God

That isn't a strong pro-death penalty sentiment to be quoting.

Perhaps you missed something?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I'm against the death penalty for a number of reasons: 1) If we're talking about punishment, then execution cuts it short. I'd rather have them live a long life rotting away in a place like the ADX. 2) I can't see an actual benefit to it -- it's not a deterrent, and it's not cost effective. 3) The death penalty is the one thing we can't un-do when we get it wrong, and there are many, many cases of the criminal justice system getting it wrong.

BTW, here's a good piece on the ADX (which currently houses the Atlanta Olympics bomber, Terry Nichols, the OKC bomber, the underwear bomber, the unabomber, the 1993 WTC bomber, and the 9/11 conspirator, among others):

LINK

I'm more than happy seeing justice served by letting someone live out the rest of their life in a place like this.

ADX Florence is a good substitute for the death penalty, in a way they are almost analogous. Tsarnaev would actually be safer at ADX Florence versus USP Terre Haute, which is his likely destination. Well, relatively safe up to when they ever actually execute him.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Even Conservatives are Starting to Admit the Silliness of the Death Penalty:

Quote:
The Nebraska Legislature will decide in the next several weeks whether to do what no other conservative state has done in more than 40 years: Abolish the death penalty.

In the latest sign that vigorous support for capital punishment can no longer be taken for granted among Republicans, a coalition of Republican, Democratic and independent lawmakers has backed a bill that would replace capital punishment with life imprisonment.

On Friday, the unicameral Legislature voted in favor of the bill, 30 to 16, after four hours of debate. A final vote is likely this week, and if the lawmakers approve the measure again, as is expected, it will go to Gov. Pete Ricketts, a Tea-Tard and strong supporter of capital punishment. The governor has said he would veto the bill, setting up a potentially fierce campaign to override him.

Senator Colby Coash, a conservative who is a sponsor of the bill, said he had come to believe that opposing capital punishment aligned with his values as a Republican and a Christian conservative.

Compasionate Conservatives
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Tsarnaev’s Russian relatives have been in the U.S. since April 21, fitted with ankle bracelets and living under “hotel arrest,” federal officials said. The Russians were permitted to travel to the U.S. on S-visas, or Significant Public Benefit Parole, issued to aliens considered a security risk who were subpoenaed to testify.

A male relative was sent back to Dagestan after he admitted to Customs officials at Logan Airport that he fought alongside Chechen Muslim militants.
--

Ugh. Allying with thugs that kill children runs in the Tsarnaev bloodline. I'm sure this relative was a "sunny, kind" child, as well.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject:

I'm torn on the death penalty in principle.

I do think that some people do deserve to die, but that doesn't mean that I'd be a good judge about which people that should be. Everyone has certain biases, and in jury trials it can be a roll of the dice on what biases those particular jury happens to have.

I think that there really isn't a way to make the application of it completely fair and consistent. Humans make mistakes, and if someone is executed we can't go back and correct that mistake.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

I do think that some people do deserve to die, but that doesn't mean that I'd be a good judge about which people that should be. Everyone has certain biases, and in jury trials it can be a roll of the dice on what biases those particular jury happens to have.

I think that there really isn't a way to make the application of it completely fair and consistent. Humans make mistakes, and if someone is executed we can't go back and correct that mistake.

What would be the advantage to society in putting someone to death?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

What would be the advantage to society in putting someone to death?

Having the knowledge that a monster can't possibly harm anyone ever again?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: