View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Can anyone confirm that she was a Republican? The first I remember seeing her is when she beat crazy B1 Bob. She was most certainly a Democrat then.

She was NEVER a Republican. I don't even know where that came from. My guess is that some associate her with Republicans because of her opposition to Gray Davis, but that's just a guess.

Wrong, she was a Republican.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/DROPPING+MARRIED+NAME+HELPED+SANCHEZ+DEFEAT+DORNAN.-a084004036

Quote:

Dornan had a field day with Sanchez's numerous transformations. She is a former Republican who switched her affiliation in 1992 when she became upset by what she saw as GOP extremism.

I stand corrected. In that sense, I too was a Republican once since I registered with the Republican Party back in college before I'd matured to the point of not simply following the lead of my parents, but instead using my brain to figure out which most closely aligned with my own values of live & let live + Do unto others. Those basic core values made it impossible for me to continue alignment with the Republican party.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Then again... when policy exists to give any race advantages or disadvantages merely because of the color of their skin, I see that as much more blatant racism. Yet, others see it as merely evening the odds.

You do understand the vast and important difference between actions and programs designed to inhibit and deny people versus those meant to aid them?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
24 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I view Republicans as a party that places a greater importance on their own self-interests (i.e. money, faith, tradition, etc) than one motivated by hate above all else.

Well that would explain both parties. Both (And I use the term 'Both' loosely, because they are effectively just one party with an extreme vs moderate right slant) put their self interests above all else. And I agree with you that the Republican Party is not a Party motivated by hate above all else. Theirs is primarily an image issue, and since few in the party are willing to fight that image, it persists. It's a lot like the State of Idaho, which due to a minority of it's residents being very loud and devout Aryans, the state has received a lasting reputation as being a bastion of racists. And that there is the problem with members of any group not standing up against the worst amongst them. They risk being defined by the worst amongst them (Similar to the way Blacks are often defined by the worst amongst them).

So this right here is what more non narrow-minded Republicans need to do. They need to stand up against the bigots in their midst. Blacks need to stand up against the sympathizers in their midst. Idahoans need to stand up against the Aryans in their midst. Good cops need to stand up against the overly authoritarians in their midst. And when these groups stand up they need to do so CLEARLY, LOUDLY, and UNAMBIGUOUSLY since they now have to overcome an image that they are accepting of these trending misanthropes amongst them.

That's fair in a narrow sense. It is true that wealth (corporate and individual) carries enormous clout in electoral politics, and that wealth plays both sides of the fence. But it is also true that on everything ranging from regulation to taxation (everything from corporate tax to estate tax to income tax brackets to capital gains taxes) to labor laws, The GOP is much much more pro wealth.

The problem with that is that even with the backing of the large donors, you don't have much of an electoral base, even with the successful marketing of wealth centric policies to those they adversely impact.

That's why the Southern strategy, the mating of fiscal conservatism to religious conservatism, and the strong push against minorities and "others" (and creating the pejorative connotation of the word liberal) as takers, both of your tax money (the famous welfare queen) and your jobs. Then there was the emphasis against feminism, and a tie into religious conservative views on social issues like abortion and reproductive rights, and homosexuality. This is of course brought full circle back around through guns, militarism, distrust of the government, distrust of cosmopolitan city folk, and anti tax sentiments to the fiscal policy, essentially mating a lot of conservative religious, and rural white social, racial and sexual mores to fiscal policy that heretofore were not linked.

There is a reason that the earliest attacks on Obama were related to community organizing, false ties to muslim ideology and terrorism, and false claims of being born in Africa. All of that is code for fear of a looming brown horde coming to take away your way of life. And that sells the rest of the message.

There are lots of fiscal conservatives who do not vote republican based upon racial or sexual dog whistles, but to deny that these are central to the strategic vision of GOP electoral policy, and that they are also pretty mainstream views in huge swaths of America that are electorally dominated by the GOP, and that those two things are inextricably linked, is either excessively or willfully ignorant.

All of what you say is true. That still doesn't make most of them racists. They are "Bubble People" and the last highlighted in blue speaks to that. And before the screaming hordes come with their pitchforks, their ignorance isn't universal in form. They simply choose to pretend the world inside their little bubble is indicative of the real world outside it and their ignorance to that factual inaccuracy is what allows them to believe in some of the silliness you've accurately described that many of them subscribe to as reality. But to my mind, there is a very stark difference between Bubble People & Out-n-Out racists. One is driven be a belief of inherent superiority, and the other is driven by blind allegiance to that which serves self. That said, there are certain individual policies which are undeniably racist at their basis and supported by a large swath of Republicans. Whether or not their widespread support of those undeniably racist policies is driven by a nugget of racism within them, or owes to the basic ignorance which accompanies their presence inside the bubble? Who's to say? I'd bet on it being a bit of both...

The bolded is what I was trying to get at. I think you put it more succinctly.

That's the distinction that too many people fail to make. I think part of it is the internet age where it's just easier to label someone a racist and then call it day, but as a person of mixed race, casual use of a term like that really bothers me and IMO, does absolutely nothing in terms of bridging gaps, if anything, it further widens them because it puts people in an immediately defensive position.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
24 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I view Republicans as a party that places a greater importance on their own self-interests (i.e. money, faith, tradition, etc) than one motivated by hate above all else.

Well that would explain both parties. Both (And I use the term 'Both' loosely, because they are effectively just one party with an extreme vs moderate right slant) put their self interests above all else. And I agree with you that the Republican Party is not a Party motivated by hate above all else. Theirs is primarily an image issue, and since few in the party are willing to fight that image, it persists. It's a lot like the State of Idaho, which due to a minority of it's residents being very loud and devout Aryans, the state has received a lasting reputation as being a bastion of racists. And that there is the problem with members of any group not standing up against the worst amongst them. They risk being defined by the worst amongst them (Similar to the way Blacks are often defined by the worst amongst them).

So this right here is what more non narrow-minded Republicans need to do. They need to stand up against the bigots in their midst. Blacks need to stand up against the sympathizers in their midst. Idahoans need to stand up against the Aryans in their midst. Good cops need to stand up against the overly authoritarians in their midst. And when these groups stand up they need to do so CLEARLY, LOUDLY, and UNAMBIGUOUSLY since they now have to overcome an image that they are accepting of these trending misanthropes amongst them.

That's fair in a narrow sense. It is true that wealth (corporate and individual) carries enormous clout in electoral politics, and that wealth plays both sides of the fence. But it is also true that on everything ranging from regulation to taxation (everything from corporate tax to estate tax to income tax brackets to capital gains taxes) to labor laws, The GOP is much much more pro wealth.

The problem with that is that even with the backing of the large donors, you don't have much of an electoral base, even with the successful marketing of wealth centric policies to those they adversely impact.

That's why the Southern strategy, the mating of fiscal conservatism to religious conservatism, and the strong push against minorities and "others" (and creating the pejorative connotation of the word liberal) as takers, both of your tax money (the famous welfare queen) and your jobs. Then there was the emphasis against feminism, and a tie into religious conservative views on social issues like abortion and reproductive rights, and homosexuality. This is of course brought full circle back around through guns, militarism, distrust of the government, distrust of cosmopolitan city folk, and anti tax sentiments to the fiscal policy, essentially mating a lot of conservative religious, and rural white social, racial and sexual mores to fiscal policy that heretofore were not linked.

There is a reason that the earliest attacks on Obama were related to community organizing, false ties to muslim ideology and terrorism, and false claims of being born in Africa. All of that is code for fear of a looming brown horde coming to take away your way of life. And that sells the rest of the message.

There are lots of fiscal conservatives who do not vote republican based upon racial or sexual dog whistles, but to deny that these are central to the strategic vision of GOP electoral policy, and that they are also pretty mainstream views in huge swaths of America that are electorally dominated by the GOP, and that those two things are inextricably linked, is either excessively or willfully ignorant.

All of what you say is true. That still doesn't make most of them racists. They are "Bubble People" and the last highlighted in blue speaks to that. And before the screaming hordes come with their pitchforks, their ignorance isn't universal in form. They simply choose to pretend the world inside their little bubble is indicative of the real world outside it and their ignorance to that factual inaccuracy is what allows them to believe in some of the silliness you've accurately described that many of them subscribe to as reality. But to my mind, there is a very stark difference between Bubble People & Out-n-Out racists. One is driven be a belief of inherent superiority, and the other is driven by blind allegiance to that which serves self. That said, there are certain individual policies which are undeniably racist at their basis and supported by a large swath of Republicans. Whether or not their widespread support of those undeniably racist policies is driven by a nugget of racism within them, or owes to the basic ignorance which accompanies their presence inside the bubble? Who's to say? I'd bet on it being a bit of both...

There is a huge danger to believing that unconscious or unwillful or uniformed racism is not in and of itself racist. It is probably the biggest racism problem we have in this country. The so called bubble, where the effect is racist but not the conscious intent is not perpetuates the systemic effects of racism far more effectively than the openly aggressive racists do. This is one of the most effective, cogent arguments made by African American social intellectuals, that the most dangerous form of racism in regard to them is unexamined racism, the silent majority that accepts and perpetuates their privilege without feeling in any way racist.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Quote:
There is a huge danger to believing that unconscious or unwillful or uniformed racism is not in and of itself racist. It is probably the biggest racism problem we have in this country. The so called bubble, where the effect is racist but not the conscious intent is not perpetuates the systemic effects of racism far more effectively than the openly aggressive racists do. This is one of the most effective, cogent arguments made by African American social intellectuals, that the most dangerous form of racism in regard to them is unexamined racism, the silent majority that accepts and perpetuates their privilege without feeling in any way racist.

Thank you two four for inking my point so eloquently.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: