Magic - "The Clippers are still the Clippers"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Magic - "The Clippers are still the Clippers"

This quote by Magic made my day!

Quote:
I thought the Spurs taught the Clippers how to win after a tough 7 game series. I was wrong. The Clippers are still the Clippers.

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/600067321328181250
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject:

Magic is right.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject:

That was funny when I first read it but leave it to an impartial journalist to provide some perspective.

His quote as follows:

Between then and now, the Clippers will catch a lot of hell. They deserve it, just like they did the praise of beating the Spurs. There are no parades for winning first-round series, especially in Los Angeles. "The Clippers are still the Clippers," Magic Johnson gleefully tweeted on Sunday. Truth be told, the Lakers are the Clippers now. The Lakers franchise is in shambles, gutted of talent, devoid of direction and desperate for the bounce of a pingpong ball at Tuesday night's draft lottery in New York.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/after-a-collosal-collapse--the-clippers-are-back-on-the-brink-043705162.html
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject:

Wojnarowski should stick to what he does best which is BREAKING NEWS instead of writing stupid opinion articles.
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject:

Nice reply by Captain Obvious... Of course "The Clippers are still the Clippers." The Clipper Curse is real and it's Living Large in L.A. They can cover our Championship banners, Balloon our Statue's and turn our locker room into Balmer's personal lounge, but them fools will always be "The Clippers." The Cubs of the NBA... hell no that's an insult to the Cubs. L.A. belongs to the Lakers... nuff said. That's real. Great or Bad, this is a Laker town. Clipper's and their fans... Go kick Rocks.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
That was funny when I first read it but leave it to an impartial journalist to provide some perspective.

His quote as follows:

Between then and now, the Clippers will catch a lot of hell. They deserve it, just like they did the praise of beating the Spurs. There are no parades for winning first-round series, especially in Los Angeles. "The Clippers are still the Clippers," Magic Johnson gleefully tweeted on Sunday. Truth be told, the Lakers are the Clippers now. The Lakers franchise is in shambles, gutted of talent, devoid of direction and desperate for the bounce of a pingpong ball at Tuesday night's draft lottery in New York.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/after-a-collosal-collapse--the-clippers-are-back-on-the-brink-043705162.html

funny thing is that people don't realize two things about the current lakers/clippers eras:

1. the lakers have bottomed. Legitimately, we will have large cap space and if we keep the lottery pick, even better.

2. the clippers have reached their top. This is it for them, it's only a matter of time before they start tearing this team apart. They had several years and nothing happened.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:

His quote as follows:

I think it says a great deal about how significant the Lakers are that having a couple of down years due to injury, voided trades and cap issues leads people to describe them in a "shambles".

The Lakers may be out of the playoffs and in need of roster help, but I would still take their position over the Clippers any day.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject:

Even in the worst moment of Clippers history, the Lakers remain more relevant. There is ZERO reason the Lakers need to be mentioned in a Clipper piece and yet we steal the show at the end.

lol

Laker Town!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
laker4life wrote:

His quote as follows:

I think it says a great deal about how significant the Lakers are that having a couple of down years due to injury, voided trades and cap issues leads people to describe them in a "shambles".

The Lakers may be out of the playoffs and in need of roster help, but I would still take their position over the Clippers any day.

Yeah it was such an odd way to end that piece. I guess the Clippers will always be compared to us. Not sure what we have to do with what happened last night, and I think the description is pretty off key. The franchise isn't in shambles nor is it isn't gutted of talent. You could argue the direction isn't great at the moment and that we're desperate for some luck tomorrow (what team wouldn't be desperate for a potential Top 5 pick?). The franchise can't be that much in shambles when they're shoehorned into playoff pieces that have nothing to do with them.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Even in the worst moment of Clippers history, the Lakers remain more relevant. There is ZERO reason the Lakers need to be mentioned in a Clipper piece and yet we steal the show at the end.

lol

Laker Town!

my thoughts exactly.

and also, i hope everyone can stop calling Doc River a HC with championship pedigree. the guy won ONE, SINGLE, UNO, 一(for those who know Chinese) title with the big 3 in Boston. what has he ever done outside of those 2 title series ('08 and '10)? he knows how to talk, play the camera, that's why he's on the Wire to Wire 99% of the time instead of the other team's huddle. Doc only comes handy when coaching a bunch of low IQ plyaers like DJ and Griffin, i smell a CP3 Doc River blowup next season.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

I think Magic should just keep his mouth shut.

And I hate the Clippers!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

Only difference between the Clippers of the old versus now is that their failures is on a bigger stage...before they started to to make playoff appearances, networks like TNT, ABC, ESPN, and NBC and CBS before that rarely put Clippers games on. They were that crappy 2nd NBA team in LA that people ignored and were only seen on local TV.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

And I hate the Clippers!

C'mon now, why stifle his free speech because some people don't like what he says? If we did that, you wouldn't be able to post here, man. Aside from Lakers2001 in police threads, you've gotta be the one poster who most often riles up others with controversial comments a la Earvin.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Only difference between the Clippers of the old versus now is that their failures is on a bigger stage...before they started to to make playoff appearances, networks like TNT, ABC, ESPN, and NBC and CBS before that rarely put Clippers games on. They were that crappy 2nd NBA team in LA that people ignored and were only seen on local TV.

I wonder if their players and FO members have ever stopped for a minute to say to themselves, "You know what? Losing playoff series actually sucks more than simply being invisible." I've read KingsFans.com from the heyday of our battles (late 2001) to the point at which both our teams went to sh, but it seemed to me that their passion as a fanbase began to wane AFTER they went thru the trials and tribulations of blown playoff expectations. They became jaded once they got a perspective of what it felt like to watch their franchise actually contend for something other than isolated RS upsets over the Lakers or Malone/Stockton or Jordan. They were more rabid as a base when they were perennial underdogs. Their crowds at ARCO dating back to the late 80s were always good and homogeneous (no discernible Lakerfan presence, e.g.). Then they got really invested around the time they got Bibby and after the title contention window was shut and the franchise went back to that limbo state of mediocrity, they tuned out just like a lot of us did in recent years. Their innocence and wonder as a fanbase was gone forever.

Losing playoff series and realizing what a championship window is and seeing it shut more and more with each passing season is WORSE than just resigning yourself to the lottery in late November. By the time the season is over, you barely care about anything except for that pick. Having been in this bizarro situation twice now, I can see how easy it is to slip into that mentality. The constant push for excellence is harder. To quote JFK: "We choose to go to the moon and do the other things not because they're easy, but because they're HAHHD!"
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

And I hate the Clippers!

C'mon now, why stifle his free speech because some people don't like what he says? If we did that, you wouldn't be able to post here, man. Aside from Lakers2001 in police threads, you've gotta be the one poster who most often riles up others with controversial comments a la Earvin.

I completely agree with what Magic says so I don't dislike it at all.

I just think that on some things, he should keep his mouth shut. Not because I want to violate his rights, but because I think it would be the smarter thing to do.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

And I hate the Clippers!

Magic is entitled to his opinion.

Even ESPN referred to it.

In the end, Magic wants what we all want to happen.

Another championship season for the Lakers.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

And I hate the Clippers!

I wish Magic would stop bad mouthing the Lakers. I never hear Kobe mutter anything negative about Jim Buss and the Lakers. He's doing more harm than good in the press, which could affect our ability to sign players.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

And I hate the Clippers!

Not saying he isn't entitled to his opinion. A smart person in his position would keep quiet.

James Harden is entitled to grow any beard he wants. Doesn't mean he should.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:

I love Magic, but everything he says should be geared toward making free agents want to sign with us. He's a smart guy, but its frustrating that he hasn't figured this out.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

yep. Before it was like "oh, how adorable, the Clippers made the playoffs"
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

This might have been their last season as contenders if DeAndre Jordan bails on them.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Shalashaska
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
laker4life wrote:

His quote as follows:

Yeah it was such an odd way to end that piece. I guess the Clippers will always be compared to us. Not sure what we have to do with what happened last night, and I think the description is pretty off key. The franchise isn't in shambles nor is it isn't gutted of talent. You could argue the direction isn't great at the moment and that we're desperate for some luck tomorrow (what team wouldn't be desperate for a potential Top 5 pick?). The franchise can't be that much in shambles when they're shoehorned into playoff pieces that have nothing to do with them.

Agree. Was a dumb, irrelevant cheapshot by Woj, whom I otherwise think is a respectable columnist.

As someone mentioned earlier, this is most likely the peak for the Clippers - this was their year to win. Paul and Griffin aint getting any younger, and franchises typically dont recover from these kinds of consecutive postseason meltdowns (lets not forget about the Game 5 collapse against the Thunder last year, although not as pathetic as this series).

LAL at least have youth, cap space and picks moving forward.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Shalashaska wrote:
ocho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
laker4life wrote:

His quote as follows:

Agree. Was a dumb, irrelevant cheapshot by Woj, whom I otherwise think is a respectable columnist.

As someone mentioned earlier, this is most likely the peak for the Clippers - this was their year to win. Paul and Griffin aint getting any younger, and franchises typically dont recover from these kinds of consecutive postseason meltdowns (lets not forget about the Game 5 collapse against the Thunder last year, although not as pathetic as this series).

LAL at least have youth, cap space and picks moving forward.

LAL at least have won TITLES, plural. Bad as things are, Lakers repeated only 5-6 yrs ago. How many other teams good or bad have done even that much? Lakers CLOSED the deal when it was their turn... Prepare to hear more of this kind of historical perspective-free anti-Laker sentiment as we continue to rebuild from scratch. Woj just wanted to be a bitter dick because a Laker had the audacity to criticize a franchise has been irrelevant and feckless for 3 decades, as if they deserve all the credit in the world for another 2nd Round flameout. Whopee! Otoh, Lakers hit their first real dry spot since the mid 70s (when this guy in Kindergarten) and he wants to shovel dirt as if they're still in any way comparable to the historically pathetic Clippers. What an idiot. Talk about someone who shouldn't go there. He's bitter because a guy with 5 championship rings and 9 Finals appearances made an observation about a team he had underdog feelins for. Woj should take his quip as considered professional opinion with the resume Earvin has. But I'm not mad!!
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:

PROPHET wrote:
laker4life wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

And I hate the Clippers!

I wish Magic would stop bad mouthing the Lakers. I never hear Kobe mutter anything negative about Jim Buss and the Lakers. He's doing more harm than good in the press, which could affect our ability to sign players.

Kobe is smart enough not to bad mouth the Lakers. I think that he learned from his previous experience in bad mouthing the Lakers earlier in his career.

You do not bite the hands that feed you.

Look at A Rod. He is very careful about in talking about the Yankees.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:

To Chris and Blake:

ABC

AIDA
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: