Magic - "The Clippers are still the Clippers"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Dippers are always Dippers

Marcellus can take his ass to Seattle as well.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:

I would like to hear Marcellus.

That dude probably is speechless.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Fantastic quote, Magic. He's telling it like it is. It's an insult to LA that they acted like they "owned" the city. Making the playoffs 4 times in a row(and not doing jack (bleep) while in it) doesn't make up for 4 DECADES of being one of the worst franchises in all of sports. (bleep) the Clippers.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject:

http://www.latintimes.com/pulse/clippers-choke-memes-see-20-best-jokes-la-clippers-collapse-game-6-316993

Coach Wooden
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

I would like to hear Marcellus.

That dude probably is speechless.

Hasn't shown up to work yet.....

edit: He just showed up.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Clippers' Doc Rivers responds to Magic Johnson's criticism of team http://fw.to/c4PEbab

When the Clippers advanced past the defending champion San Antonio Spurs in the first round and were only one game away from reaching the Western Conference finals in the second round, Johnson actually praised the team.
Tweeted Johnson: "I never thought I would say this, but I think the Clippers can win the NBA Championship. They have a little bit of everything...

Rivers laughed at the fact that within the course of a week Johnson, along with many others, went from saying that the Clippers were true title contenders to now saying the Clippers need to blow up their roster.

“I don’t listen," Rivers said. "That’s why."

Coach Wooden
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Hahahaha.

Max Kellerman said the Clippers are just another Microsoft product that doesn't work.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Hahahaha.

Max Kellerman said the Clippers are just another Microsoft product that doesn't work.

Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Hahahaha.

He should really rub the salt into that wound.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I think Magic should just keep his mouth shut.

And I hate the Clippers!

he's entitled to his opinion but I think he's wrong ... Blake would have been a bust by now and they'd be counting ping pong balls along with us. Little Brother just choked. Horrific choke job.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I think Magic should just keep his mouth shut.

And I hate the Clippers!

he's entitled to his opinion but I think he's wrong ... Blake would have been a bust by now and they'd be counting ping pong balls along with us. Little Brother just choked. Horrific choke job.

I agree. He's entitled to his opinion. And he should keep that opinion to himself.

He represents the Lakers and he comes off petty when he says things like that publicly.
Frank The Tank
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Only difference between the Clippers of the old versus now is that their failures is on a bigger stage...before they started to to make playoff appearances, networks like TNT, ABC, ESPN, and NBC and CBS before that rarely put Clippers games on. They were that crappy 2nd NBA team in LA that people ignored and were only seen on local TV.

I wonder if their players and FO members have ever stopped for a minute to say to themselves, "You know what? Losing playoff series actually sucks more than simply being invisible." I've read KingsFans.com from the heyday of our battles (late 2001) to the point at which both our teams went to sh, but it seemed to me that their passion as a fanbase began to wane AFTER they went thru the trials and tribulations of blown playoff expectations. They became jaded once they got a perspective of what it felt like to watch their franchise actually contend for something other than isolated RS upsets over the Lakers or Malone/Stockton or Jordan. They were more rabid as a base when they were perennial underdogs. Their crowds at ARCO dating back to the late 80s were always good and homogeneous (no discernible Lakerfan presence, e.g.). Then they got really invested around the time they got Bibby and after the title contention window was shut and the franchise went back to that limbo state of mediocrity, they tuned out just like a lot of us did in recent years. Their innocence and wonder as a fanbase was gone forever.

Losing playoff series and realizing what a championship window is and seeing it shut more and more with each passing season is WORSE than just resigning yourself to the lottery in late November. By the time the season is over, you barely care about anything except for that pick. Having been in this bizarro situation twice now, I can see how easy it is to slip into that mentality. The constant push for excellence is harder. To quote JFK: "We choose to go to the moon and do the other things not because they're easy, but because they're HAHHD!"

No, that's not what happened if you look at seats sold:

1999-00 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (44 W – 38 L – Playoffs)
2000-01 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (55 W – 27 L – Playoffs)
2001-02 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (61 W – 21 L – Playoffs)
2002-03 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (59 W – 23 L – Playoffs)
2003-04 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (55 W – 27 L – Playoffs)
2004-05 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (50 W – 32 L – Playoffs)
2005-06 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (44 W – 38 L – Playoffs)
2006-07 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (33 W – 49 L)
2007-08 Seats Sold: Kings 81% (38 W – 44 L)

The Kings were still selling out all their seats years after their window closed. Instead, what really depressed the passion and support were the Maloofs who were ranked as the worst sports owners in any professional sport.

The Maloofs overexpanded in Vegas and lost so much money that they had to sell their distribution rights to sell Coors. It's obvious that the Maloofs were trying to poison the well so that the Kings could relocate and make more money in another market.

Sacramento would try to come up with bond measures and taxes to keep the Kings in Sacramento, but then the Maloofs would reverse course, sabotage those efforts, and break promises they had made.

Days before the city voted for a tax increase to keep the Kings, the Maloofs would start to question the location of the arena and withdraw his support of the tax measure.

And, days before the vote where they were asking city residents to pay money to help build them a new arena, the Maloofs were seen on TV in a Carls Jr commercial showcasing their extravagance with a $6000 bottle of wine.

I don't blame fans for leaving when ownership already had one foot out of the door. But, what happens is that the ownership then points to declining attendance, which ownership helped precipitate, as justification for leaving.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

http://i.imgur.com/Tx33Ae9.gif
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject:

Tony Parker was clearly hobbled during round one.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

Frank The Tank wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Only difference between the Clippers of the old versus now is that their failures is on a bigger stage...before they started to to make playoff appearances, networks like TNT, ABC, ESPN, and NBC and CBS before that rarely put Clippers games on. They were that crappy 2nd NBA team in LA that people ignored and were only seen on local TV.

I wonder if their players and FO members have ever stopped for a minute to say to themselves, "You know what? Losing playoff series actually sucks more than simply being invisible." I've read KingsFans.com from the heyday of our battles (late 2001) to the point at which both our teams went to sh, but it seemed to me that their passion as a fanbase began to wane AFTER they went thru the trials and tribulations of blown playoff expectations. They became jaded once they got a perspective of what it felt like to watch their franchise actually contend for something other than isolated RS upsets over the Lakers or Malone/Stockton or Jordan. They were more rabid as a base when they were perennial underdogs. Their crowds at ARCO dating back to the late 80s were always good and homogeneous (no discernible Lakerfan presence, e.g.). Then they got really invested around the time they got Bibby and after the title contention window was shut and the franchise went back to that limbo state of mediocrity, they tuned out just like a lot of us did in recent years. Their innocence and wonder as a fanbase was gone forever.

Losing playoff series and realizing what a championship window is and seeing it shut more and more with each passing season is WORSE than just resigning yourself to the lottery in late November. By the time the season is over, you barely care about anything except for that pick. Having been in this bizarro situation twice now, I can see how easy it is to slip into that mentality. The constant push for excellence is harder. To quote JFK: "We choose to go to the moon and do the other things not because they're easy, but because they're HAHHD!"

No, that's not what happened if you look at seats sold:

1999-00 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (44 W – 38 L – Playoffs)
2000-01 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (55 W – 27 L – Playoffs)
2001-02 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (61 W – 21 L – Playoffs)
2002-03 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (59 W – 23 L – Playoffs)
2003-04 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (55 W – 27 L – Playoffs)
2004-05 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (50 W – 32 L – Playoffs)
2005-06 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (44 W – 38 L – Playoffs)
2006-07 Seats Sold: Kings 100% (33 W – 49 L)
2007-08 Seats Sold: Kings 81% (38 W – 44 L)

The Kings were still selling out all their seats years after their window closed. Instead, what really depressed the passion and support were the Maloofs who were ranked as the worst sports owners in any professional sport.

The Maloofs overexpanded in Vegas and lost so much money that they had to sell their distribution rights to sell Coors. It's obvious that the Maloofs were trying to poison the well so that the Kings could relocate and make more money in another market.

Sacramento would try to come up with bond measures and taxes to keep the Kings in Sacramento, but then the Maloofs would reverse course, sabotage those efforts, and break promises they had made.

Days before the city voted for a tax increase to keep the Kings, the Maloofs would start to question the location of the arena and withdraw his support of the tax measure.

And, days before the vote where they were asking city residents to pay money to help build them a new arena, the Maloofs were seen on TV in a Carls Jr commercial showcasing their extravagance with a $6000 bottle of wine.

I don't blame fans for leaving when ownership already had one foot out of the door. But, what happens is that the ownership then points to declining attendance, which ownership helped precipitate, as justification for leaving.

Yeah, the Kings always had a rabid fanbase even when they were losing...its when the Maloofs stopped caring about the team and started to think about moving it to Vegas, Anaheim or wherever that the fans stopped caring. Its a well known strategy to kill off the fanbase before preparing it for a move. As somebody who saw the late Ram's owner employ this method in the early 90's, its not a big secret. Its been done before when the Sonics were being prepared to move to OKC as well.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
Clippers' Doc Rivers responds to Magic Johnson's criticism of team http://fw.to/c4PEbab

When the Clippers advanced past the defending champion San Antonio Spurs in the first round and were only one game away from reaching the Western Conference finals in the second round, Johnson actually praised the team.
Tweeted Johnson: "I never thought I would say this, but I think the Clippers can win the NBA Championship. They have a little bit of everything...

Rivers laughed at the fact that within the course of a week Johnson, along with many others, went from saying that the Clippers were true title contenders to now saying the Clippers need to blow up their roster.

This is one case where both guys correctly trashed the other. The Clippers indeed still are the Clippers, and Magic remains a disingenuous guy who jumps the bandwagon.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:

This is one case where both guys correctly trashed the other. The Clippers indeed still are the Clippers, and Magic remains a disingenuous guy who jumps the bandwagon.

Coach Wooden
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Hahahaha.

The Clippers wish they were as dominant as Windows.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject:

The Clippers probably have one or two more shots to win a ring. Blake and DJ are in their prime right now but CP3 is wearing down and all the support pieces that make the Clippers such a potent offensive team will start falling off.

We'll see which new team rises out the West next season. Maybe next season it's the Pelicans' year. All the Texas teams look like they're on their way down.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject:

They need upgrades at the SF and SG. Funny that they wiffed on Ariza and stayed with Barnes. Also shocked they didnt pursue Paul Pierce harder.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject:

Ship their ass back to Buffalo. Those (bleep) don't deserve Southern California sunshine.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: