The Greatest Passer in the history of the game///
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
golaker wrote:
And then you watch this and realize Kobe was the more skilled passer.

wat

Lol.

Just based on pure ability. I've seen kobe use footwork and ball handling skills to create passes that I don't think magic could ever do. I'm not trying to take anything away from magic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOCreWFeeo

That to me might be the greatest assist of all time.
nashftw
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
1) Magic
2) Stockton
3) Kidd
4) Nash
5) Cp3
*Jason Williams (didn't rack up the assists, but he threw some of the greatest passes I've ever seen)

stockton is a great passer but a good part of it was a product of the system and karl malone. if the list was great PG, i might agree with the above.

if the topic was just passing alone, no other variable, would probably be Magic, Kidd, Nash, Stockton, maybe even Rubio before cp3.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
C M B wrote:
golaker wrote:

wat

Lol.

Just based on pure ability. I've seen kobe use footwork and ball handling skills to create passes that I don't think magic could ever do. I'm not trying to take anything away from magic.

Kobe had some awesome passes, for sure. But Magic's almost-supernatural court vision and ability to thread the needle like Peyton Manning in all kinds of traffic over and over and over are things that are beyond Kobe. On the other hand, of course, Magic could never do so many of the things on the scoring front that Bryant could.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
C M B wrote:
golaker wrote:

wat

Lol.

You need to either watch more bball or take off the Kobe tinted rose colored glasses. There are 100's of guys that have made passes like that. Go watch Magic throw a bounce pass through 3 defenders, on a dead run, having to put enough english on the ball to thread it through the first 2 and then, when it bounces, spin it past the 3rd...and putting it perfectly into the hands of a team mate for a layup. Or how he got knocked on his ass, and while hitting the ground and sliding across the floor on his back, flipped a lob from above the FT line over 2 defenders perfectly to a guy at the rim for a dunk?
Or, go watch videos of a young Pistol Pete Maravich....who made better passes than that about every 3rd play in virtually every single game he played since high school. That guy made dozens of absolutely stunning passes in virtually every game he ever played in when he was younger (before his knees went).
Kobe is a lot of things, but when it comes to great passing I'd doubt he'd even break the top 50.
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
golaker wrote:

Proof that some people will argue against gravity...

and the world is flat too
Nightwalker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Magic was awesome nobody had greater effect on their teammates than him. Dude was winning titles at every level.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject:

EZ-Ryder wrote:
1) Magic
2) Stockton
3) Kidd
4) Nash
5) Cp3
*Jason Williams (didn't rack up the assists, but he threw some of the greatest passes I've ever seen)

you could easily add
Isiah Thomas (there's a reason they called him Mini Magic & Pocket Magic)
Kevin Johnson
Pete Maravich
Big O - who averaged 9.5 in his career and pulled a triple double for an entire season
And I'll +1 vote for Jason Williams
golaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
golaker wrote:
C M B wrote:
golaker wrote:

wat

Lol.

You need to either watch more bball or take off the Kobe tinted rose colored glasses. There are 100's of guys that have made passes like that. Go watch Magic throw a bounce pass through 3 defenders, on a dead run, having to put enough english on the ball to thread it through the first 2 and then, when it bounces, spin it past the 3rd...and putting it perfectly into the hands of a team mate for a layup. Or how he got knocked on his ass, and while hitting the ground and sliding across the floor on his back, flipped a lob from above the FT line over 2 defenders perfectly to a guy at the rim for a dunk?
Or, go watch videos of a young Pistol Pete Maravich....who made better passes than that about every 3rd play in virtually every single game he played since high school. That guy made dozens of absolutely stunning passes in virtually every game he ever played in when he was younger (before his knees went).
Kobe is a lot of things, but when it comes to great passing I'd doubt he'd even break the top 50.

Could you provide a link to one of magic's assists that you feel is better than the link I provided for Kobe's dime to Turiaf?
BruceLeroy1985
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject:

I would love to say it was Magic but stats don't lie. John Stockton easily the best passer in history. You don't have to be flashy to be good. Stockton proved that. I doubt any NBA person would disagree.

As a matter of fact, I don't even think it is debatable.

Last edited by BruceLeroy1985 on Mon May 18, 2015 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject:

BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
I would love to say it was Magic but stats don't lie. John Stockton easily the best passer in history. You don't have to be flashy to be good. Stockton proved that. I doubt any NBA person would disagree.

Difference between great passer and prolific assist man. difference in offenses.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I still have Magic as my greatest NBA player of all time.

It is all a personal preference of course, but nobody ever was a bigger winner and made his teammates better like that guy.

+1
Same here.

Some of those were just downright silly. That no look to Byron on the break had me shaking my head. Ahhh, when Bball games were FUN to watch.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
P.K. wrote:
golaker wrote:
C M B wrote:
golaker wrote:

wat

Lol.

Could you provide a link to one of magic's assists that you feel is better than the link I provided for Kobe's dime to Turiaf?

youtube.com
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject:

golaker wrote:
P.K. wrote:
golaker wrote:
C M B wrote:
golaker wrote:

wat

Lol.

go watch the original link...there's about 5 there
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject:

So it this thread about the greatest passer of all time (Lebron) or is it about Magic?

JK. But I bet there are some young kids somewhere who think Lebron is the better passer
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject:

Best court general I have ever seen.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject:

Magic could see the open man time and time again in all kinds of traffic before anyone else knew what was going on. Supernatural court vision and pinpoint accuracy:

RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject:

Magic is the greatest player of all time. He is the best pg and passer. However, the best passes I have ever seen were from Ernie Digregorio. He was my next door neighbor. 5'11 and slow as (bleep). He made himself into a great basketball player. He would run with a wheelbarrow loaded with rocks and every summer would only use his left (off) for EVERYTHING. Every day he ran back and forth to school dribbling his basketball. He played every minute possible outside of school.

He had a great college and NBA (short) career (until the league realized how slow he was). The Providence College Friars were one of the best teams ever. Unfortunately, he went from NBA rookie of the year to nothing in a few years.

He made the greatest pass of all time. Look up his youtube videos.
undefeatedAJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject:

kobe a better a passer than magic....
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject:

God Shammgod.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject:

Water is wet
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
BruceLeroy1985 wrote:

Difference between great passer and prolific assist man. difference in offenses.

Heck, JKidd, Nash, and Mark Jackson were more prolific in the end. But no one could do with the ball what Magic did. The way Showtime ran, even compared to Nash's best teams, was made possible in part because of the speed of the their game and the quickness/velocity of Magic's passes. The degree of difficulty was much higher than in the Stockton-Malone system.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

Distant second (to Magic not Kobe ): Pete Maravich
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

The GOAT.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't compare a shooting guard with a point guard though, because their jobs are different. I think many would say kobe is the better shooter / scorer than magic, and magic is the better passer. I mean 1 is a point guard and the other is a well, point. but just because a player doesn't pass or shoot as much as another player, doesn't make the player that passes or shoots the most the better passer and shooter.
Moises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject:

A routine Magic pass was another player's career highlight. I doubt you'd find many (if any) players who were able to hit players from anywhere on the court from any situation like Magic could.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: