Obama DeMilitarizing Police

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Obama DeMilitarizing Police

Quote:
President Obama on Monday banned the federal provision of some types of military-style equipment to local police departments and sharply restricted the availability of others.

“We are, without a doubt, sitting at a defining moment in American policing,” Ronald L. Davis, the director of the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services at the Department of Justice, told reporters in a conference call organized by the White House. “We have a unique opportunity to redefine policing in our democracy, to ensure that public safety becomes more than the absence of crime, but it must also include a presence for justice.”

After the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, the federal government sharply expanded its efforts to provide police departments with automatic weapons, armored vehicles and other military-style gear through grant programs at the Homeland Security and Justice Departments and transfers from the Defense Department.

The report from the task force on military equipment cited the police response to the Ferguson unrest as an example of how the “militarization” of police departments can lead to fear and mistrust. In addition to prohibiting some equipment outright, officials said, Mr. Obama accepted the group’s recommendation to impose new restrictions on other military-style items, such as wheeled armored vehicles, pyrotechnics, battering rams and riot gear, and more stringent requirements for training and information collection for departments that acquire them.

Obama Bringing Mayberry to Mainstreet
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject:

This is increabilty stupid. The Police/local LE will most likely be the 1st line of defense in a terrorist scenario as we just witnessed in TX.

Geeish can’t believe I supported this guy in 2008.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
This is increabilty stupid. The Police/local LE will most likely be the 1st line of defense in a terrorist scenario as we just witnessed in TX.

They are going to stop giving them miltary weapons from the Iraq War....which is basically overkill for civilian scenarios....
You are still going to have Bearcats and armored vehicles for tactical situations...Just no more MRAPs that is basically useless for a civilian police force.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Its not nor should be used in day to day police duties with the public, however this is more of a vile attempt at throwing red meat to the libreal base who wants " De-armed" police forces.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject:

But where will we send all the unnecessary military equipment that we bought with our inflated budget in order to fill the pockets of the military industrial complex?
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
But where will we send all the unnecessary military equipment that we bought with our inflated budget in order to fill the pockets of the military industrial complex?

Knowing the Obama admin prob to mexico so the drug cartels can get it.

Remember his Fast and furious operation
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
Its not nor should be used in day to day police duties with the public, however this is more of a vile attempt at throwing red meat to the libreal base who wants " De-armed" police forces.

Yes, Obama is getting liberals in line for a run at his third term in office. He needs to lock down that highly touted liberal vote, which has been so hard for democrats to secure over the years
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

Just a small piece of advice (something you could likely use in your job as well btw): if you're trying to convince people that the accusations against the police being an out of control, racist, power abusing group who have way too much occupying army, above criticism, thank me and shut up, do what i say or you deserve what you get attitude going on are off base, you might want to pick a tactic that doesn't involve being a cartoonish stereotype of the behavior?
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Shlumpledink wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

Yes, Obama is getting liberals in line for a run at his third term in office. He needs to lock down that highly touted liberal vote, which has been so hard for democrats to secure over the years

Well, while you are being sarcastic.. libreals actually soured on him for the ladder part of his 1st term . He see a opportinty to mend those fences. I assume most people think that presdents on the way out just give up doing anything because there is no 3rd term? You forget all the other sentors, congressmen etc.. that have to run an if the hot topic is whats decussed of course hes going to support the cause. Its polictics 101.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

Just a small piece of advice (something you could likely use in your job as well btw): if you're trying to convince people that the accusations against the police being an out of control, racist, power abusing group who have way too much occupying army, above criticism, thank me and shut up, do what i say or you deserve what you get attitude going on are off base, you might want to pick a tactic that doesn't involve being a cartoonish stereotype of the behavior?

I believe that’s pretty clear in my stance on the issue.

Its pretty clear here day by day that this forum hates cops for whatever reason... idk brushes/pass experiences with the law etc... All the neg anti-cop stories posted heck I even remember post while back were the slur " pig" was being used. Meanwhile 2 cops killed last week in MS and NOT A PEEP said on here after all the anti-stuff posted? Let’s call this for what it is already.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

Its pretty clear here day by day that this forum hates cops for whatever reason... idk brushes/pass experiences with the law etc... All the neg anti-cop stories posted heck I even remember post while back were the slur " pig" was being used. Meanwhile 2 cops killed last week in MS and NOT A PEEP said on here after all the anti-stuff posted? Let’s call this for what it is already.

Thats where youre wrong. Im former military and leo, and serve on the board of two community orgs that work closely with police. I love good cops like brothers, and mourn when any of you are killed on our behalf.

I believe strongly that policing is a sacred calling, paid for and empowered by the community. But the community does not, nor will many of us, cede to you powers beyond what are appropriate for the duty to which you swear. And we will not accept that you can do what you like to whom you like, especially those you don't feel have the power to fight back. Nor will we accept being cowed into silence because you do not want those you serve to monitor, critique, and censor your performance when necessary. Thats the disconnect. We are not here to obey you at your whim, or shut up if we want your protection. you are here to serve us, and it is you who need to opt out if accountability to those who you serve is unacceptable.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:
24 wrote:
Lakers2001 wrote:

Thats where youre wrong. Im former military and leo, and serve on the board of two community orgs that work closely with police. I love good cops like brothers, and mourn when any of you are killed on our behalf.

I believe strongly that policing is a sacred calling, paid for and empowered by the community. But the community does not, nor will many of us, cede to you powers beyond what are appropriate for the duty to which you swear. And we will not accept that you can do what you like to whom you like, especially those you don't feel have the power to fight back. Nor will we accept being cowed into silence because you do not want those you serve to monitor, critique, and censor your performance when necessary. Thats the disconnect. We are not here to obey you at your whim, or shut up if we want your protection. you are here to serve us, and it is you who need to opt out if accountability to those who you serve is unacceptable.

Wrong where?

Its fact most of the posts cop related are negative about police or should i say are meant to shed neg light to policing. I went back and looked just to be sure and ZERO was mentioned or posted about the officers killed in cold blood by 2 thugs last week.

A Young Black Officer was killed in this... I thought "Black Lives" matter?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject:

By all means, if you want to start a thread commemorating officers killed in the line, i will offer my heartfelt condolences, and inwill certainly chase out any jackasses who say offensive stuff.

But thats the difference you seem to not grasp. When a cop is killed, there is a funeral, an outpouring of support and condolences, a manhunt and prosecution, and punishment. And this is all publicly supported. If the general populace worked to make sure that all cop killers got off, and challenged everyone mourning them and calling for the murderer's capture and punishment, you'd have a point. That's the problem. Cops are killing and getting away with it on very questionable at best circumstances, and you are trying to call us out for speaking up about it. We already support the capture and punishment of other murderers. We just want cops held at the minimum to the same standard.
Lakers2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
By all means, if you want to start a thread commemorating officers killed in the line, i will offer my heartfelt condolences, and inwill certainly chase out any jackasses who say offensive stuff.

But thats the difference you seem to not grasp. When a cop is killed, there is a funeral, an outpouring of support and condolences, a manhunt and prosecution, and punishment. And this is all publicly supported. If the general populace worked to make sure that all cop killers got off, and challenged everyone mourning them and calling for the murderer's capture and punishment, you'd have a point. That's the problem. Cops are killing and getting away with it on very questionable at best circumstances, and you are trying to call us out for speaking up about it. We already support the capture and punishment of other murderers. We just want cops held at the minimum to the same standard.

Proof? evidence? cases? (of course there cant be if they got away)

I dont wanna come of as a jerk to your post because I understand a littile of your argument however the blanket statement like that causes issues with me.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject:

Somehow, it just doesn't strike me as a problem when the federal government stops providing bayonets and grenade launchers to local police. I mean, seriously, bayonets and grenade launchers? Are the cops digging trenches and setting up barbed wire and land mines? Is this the war on drugs to end all wars on drugs?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject:

Lakers2001 wrote:

Damn right. Paranoia rocks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: