Should the Lakers give the max to DeAndre Jordan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

should the Lakers give a Max contract to DJ
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 43 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 34 ]
Do whatever it takes
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 81

K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
It should certainly be offered. Not entirely sure why he'd accept it.

A Chance to be a multiple all-star in a Laker uniform is why he would want to accept it.... after the fact that Rivers benched him in Important games in the 4th quarter is another reason why he should think about bolting.
mde24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I heard on the radio today that DJ is out. The relationship between he and Paul has been degrading for some time now and he will likely leave the Clippers.

Can't remember where I heard it but pretty sure it was Clippers radio.

Sounds marvelous!

My preference is to go after Jimmy Butler, but I recognize we have a hole at center. Go Big and get the Defense and rebounding.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject:

mde24 wrote:
22 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I heard on the radio today that DJ is out. The relationship between he and Paul has been degrading for some time now and he will likely leave the Clippers.

Sounds marvelous!

My preference is to go after Jimmy Butler, but I recognize we have a hole at center. Go Big and get the Defense and rebounding.
Yeah and plus Butler is just impossible to get without giving up assets

Dj only costs cap. Butler will likely cost cap + assets
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
shortodom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject:

From DJs stand point I don't see why he signs here unless we get another big name player like Love or Butler. Why sign with us and start from scratch when the team he's on was so close to the wcf's? He's been on the Clips for 5 or 6 years and they're finally good, I don't see him leaving
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
ocho wrote:

A Chance to be a multiple all-star in a Laker uniform is why he would want to accept it.... after the fact that Rivers benched him in Important games in the 4th quarter is another reason why he should think about bolting.

If he is thinking of bolting, he's taking less money to do so. He's already in the LA market. If he decides to leave I doubt he'd do it for a team a few years away from making the playoffs. I'd love to be wrong.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
ocho wrote:

If he is thinking of bolting, he's taking less money to do so. He's already in the LA market. If he decides to leave I doubt he'd do it for a team a few years away from making the playoffs. I'd love to be wrong.

In reality, he doesn't take much less money if he signs a 1+1 deal.
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject:

shortodom wrote:
From DJs stand point I don't see why he signs here unless we get another big name player like Love or Butler. Why sign with us and start from scratch when the team he's on was so close to the wcf's? He's been on the Clips for 5 or 6 years and they're finally good, I don't see him leaving

Read my post above.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject:

He's a liability as much as he is an asset because of his free throw shooting. I would pay him around 15 million per.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject:

scott12199 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Maybe DJ is mad that CP3 gets all the glory but I believe is 3rd all-time in playoff games played without a conference finals berth. Or is it 3rd all-time among active players? One of the two.

As for DJ at $20M, no thanks, that's steep.

20M is a bargin right now guys. Once the cap jumps up to 90 million in two years, the max is 30m. Lock him up now for 20M and we will be saving a butt load for him.

It will for maybe a year. Most guys who sign max deals this off season will have opt outs. Either they fail to perform and continue getting overpaid, at less than current max but still taking up space, or they they perform well and opt out for the future max. Its kind of like a lose-tie situation.
infoman2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject:

NO!!!

Can't give max deal to a one-trick pony!!! No offense game besides alley-oops, and can't make Free-Throws.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:

DJ will go to a Texas team if he leaves the Flippers.
That being said, "he is not going anywhere."
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Unless we draft Towns...then heck yes!

Yes, and put Towns at PF anyway; split w Randle. Bigman 3 rotation.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Jordan is not my favorite choice and his game has flaws but if the Lakers can get one of the best rim protectors and rebounders in the league... it is a no brainer. He is exactly what we had hoped Howard would be w/o giving up assets.

Would prefer Jordan over Love for similar contracts. Would also prefer the Lakers draft Winslow or one of the PGs then a big at that point.

Not too worried about the FT issue. Within a year or two they will find a way to eliminate the Hack-A- _____ strategy because of all the whining about its not fun to watch. League will protect the poor FT shooters for some bizarre reason.

My biggest concern is why Jordan would make the move. If he embraces his strengths as a defender and rebounder? Or is he coming to the Lakers to expand his offensive game. Can he accept his role or is he going to have an attitude problem?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Unless we draft Towns...then heck yes!

Yes even if we draft Towns. DJ, Randle and Towns would be a pretty nice big core in a few seasons.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

They would be the same old Clippers if they let that happen. If it is something that they can't work out, I would re-sign DJ and trade CP3 if I were the Clippers.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Jordan is not my favorite choice and his game has flaws but if the Lakers can get one of the best rim protectors and rebounders in the league... it is a no brainer. He is exactly what we had hoped Howard would be w/o giving up assets.

Would prefer Jordan over Love for similar contracts. Would also prefer the Lakers draft Winslow or one of the PGs then a big at that point.

Not too worried about the FT issue. Within a year or two they will find a way to eliminate the Hack-A- _____ strategy because of all the whining about its not fun to watch. League will protect the poor FT shooters for some bizarre reason.

My biggest concern is why Jordan would make the move. If he embraces his strengths as a defender and rebounder? Or is he coming to the Lakers to expand his offensive game. Can he accept his role or is he going to have an attitude problem?

This was my reaction to Jordan talk too. It's not something you bank on but it's likely. I'll just play along with the scenario that he actually leaves. For those that wouldn't offer max, what are you offering? 18+M for a first year number is fine when you consider he covers a lot of ills as a great defensive player. He also sets solid screens and has the athleticism to be a threat in a PnR game. Clarkson isn't CP3, but Jordan can still do some damage. I'd give him max.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject:

I'd prefer Javale McGee with a much cheaper contract over Jordan getting the max. I'm on the Marc Gasol bandwagon right now, but if Tim Duncan retires, he'll be in San Antonio. But I really hope we can draft a big.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
He's a liability as much as he is an asset because of his free throw shooting. I would pay him around 15 million per.

His FT shooting is miniscule to what he brings offensively and defensively
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject:

scott12199 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Maybe DJ is mad that CP3 gets all the glory but I believe is 3rd all-time in playoff games played without a conference finals berth. Or is it 3rd all-time among active players? One of the two.

As for DJ at $20M, no thanks, that's steep.

20M is a bargin right now guys. Once the cap jumps up to 90 million in two years, the max is 30m. Lock him up now for 20M and we will be saving a butt load for him.

Disagree. He hasn't shown himself, IMO, to be enough of a two-way player. For that kind of money, I'd like to see someone I can rely on on both ends of the floor.

He's still young so maybe he'll be that guy but if I'm paying $100M I'd wanna know. Just me.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject:

60% shooting isn't reliable?
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Is that his shooting off of plays? Or including off rebs?

Can you rely on him to score for your team? Right now, I'd say no.

I just looked it up and he takes 92% of his shots from 3 feet and in. Not saying he needs a jumper, but that tells me he's probably scoring off of misses. For max money, I want a guy you can lean on to get you easy buckets, I'm just not sure Deandre is that guy right now.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't impressed with Jordan's playoff performance, but I'd be down with signing him because it gives us a legitimate center and rim protector and also weakens the Clippers. Assuming we keep our top 5, we'd then we could have a lineup that would look something like this

Jordan/Black
Randle/Davis
Winslow/Johnson
Kobe/Jabari
Clarkson/Lin

Then when Kobe leaves, we could sign an exciting new point guard or shooting guard in 2016 depending on how the Clarkson experiment plays out.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Is that his shooting off of plays? Or including off rebs?

Can you rely on him to score for your team? Right now, I'd say no.

I just looked it up and he takes 92% of his shots from 3 feet and in. Not saying he needs a jumper, but that tells me he's probably scoring off of misses. For max money, I want a guy you can lean on to get you easy buckets, I'm just not sure Deandre is that guy right now.

He will score 10-15 ppg at a very efficient rate without needing plays ran for him. I guess I just value defense and rebounding more than you do, no problems there. A dominant defender and rebounder is worth the max to me. Especially when it will be 65-70% of the max in one year and less in two.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:
I'd prefer Javale McGee with a much cheaper contract over Jordan getting the max. I'm on the Marc Gasol bandwagon right now, but if Tim Duncan retires, he'll be in San Antonio. But I really hope we can draft a big.

When the FA season ends Marc will not be a Laker, no matter what... I usually have a good feel for these guys; we'll see...
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject:

yes, in a heartbeat. He'd be my first callup
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: