Should the Lakers give the max to DeAndre Jordan?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

should the Lakers give a Max contract to DJ
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 43 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 34 ]
Do whatever it takes
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 81

Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Of course we offer the max.

Pick a handful of guys to pursue and offer the max to all of them. Sign the first one to say yes. Don't play a waiting game.

Don't worry too much about what space we have to build around him this year. Do the best we can to get some role players around him and look longer term. Build for next off season when we can get another max guy.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
diando wrote:
I'd prefer Javale McGee with a much cheaper contract over Jordan getting the max. I'm on the Marc Gasol bandwagon right now, but if Tim Duncan retires, he'll be in San Antonio. But I really hope we can draft a big.

When the FA season ends Marc will not be a Laker, no matter what... I usually have a good feel for these guys; we'll see...

I would love Marc Gasol but I don't understand why he'd play for us after we treated his brother like the proverbial red-headed step child for three years.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Should the Lakers give the max to DeAndre Jordan?

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
A Simple question.... Ramona Shelburne reported today that the Lakers are gonna try to steal Jordan away from the Clippers..

Even if we draft towns we still need to Max him
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Towns is no Anthony Davis ... He will take 2-3 years to develop, he will givie us a deep front court and trade assists for the future. IMO tho we won't draft him unless the pongs fall to us.... I think we draft Winslow, Johnson, or Stein.

If we get a top 3 pick we will get best available... Most likely it's pick 5
K0BEE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
If he is thinking of bolting, he's taking less money to do so. He's already in the LA market. If he decides to leave I doubt he'd do it for a team a few years away from making the playoffs. I'd love to be wrong.

I don't think there is any evidence that the Lakers are gonna be dwellers of the NBA for the next few years.

Jordan had no fame or any kind of endorsements with the Clippers despite being one of the Top big man in the NBA..... with the Lakers he would be recognized let's see what happens but I'm not gonna rule out the Lakers...... they have always come through when they really wanted to get the player they want... the Clippers will most likely resign him..... but there is always a chance that a snag hits and the Clippers and Jordan move on.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject:

RIP Clippers.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
60% shooting isn't reliable?

Is that his shooting off of plays? Or including off rebs?

Can you rely on him to score for your team? Right now, I'd say no.

I just looked it up and he takes 92% of his shots from 3 feet and in. Not saying he needs a jumper, but that tells me he's probably scoring off of misses. For max money, I want a guy you can lean on to get you easy buckets, I'm just not sure Deandre is that guy right now.

He will score 10-15 ppg at a very efficient rate without needing plays ran for him. I guess I just value defense and rebounding more than you do, no problems there. A dominant defender and rebounder is worth the max to me. Especially when it will be 65-70% of the max in one year and less in two.

I wouldn't call it a travesty if the Lakers signed him for the max. I just think it would be overpriced. I might also add, Deandre has been the beneficiary of a top PG to get easy buckets. Even with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin handling the bulk of the offensive load, I think the Clippers could have benefitted from more inside play which is why I'd prefer someone with a better offensive arsenal.

DJ might get you 15 ppg, but you can't rely on him to get you those every night. So that's my concern with him.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I just looked it up and he takes 92% of his shots from 3 feet and in. Not saying he needs a jumper, but that tells me he's probably scoring off of misses. For max money, I want a guy you can lean on to get you easy buckets, I'm just not sure Deandre is that guy right now.

He gets easy buckets, and reliably so. He averaged 11.5ppg this year, and only scored 20+ on 7 occasions. You can put him down for 3-4 easy buckets every game.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:
Unless we draft Towns...then heck yes!

Yes, and put Towns at PF anyway; split w Randle. Bigman 3 rotation.

That would be interesting. Very interesting.

If Towns is really a shooter, that might could work. I'd be worried about the PnR defense but that big lineup would give teams fits, especially with a post player. You could do Towns/DJ and also DJ/Randle or Towns/Randle. Similar to what we had with Pau/Bynum/Odom.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:

YES!! If you max Deandre in 2015 after the cap jump of 2017 his 20 million contract would be more akin to 14-15 million.

It would be the ideal off-season move.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:

If Towns is really a shooter, that might could work. I'd be worried about the PnR defense but that big lineup would give teams fits, especially with a post player. You could do Towns/DJ and also DJ/Randle or Towns/Randle. Similar to what we had with Pau/Bynum/Odom.

Something like DJ & Towns is how you could effectively go big in today's NBA. Towns can shoot (even though he wasn't asked to at Kentucky), DJ can passably defend on the perimeter, and it'd be a rebounding nightmare for stretch 4's. And you could even post up effectively with Towns, if they decided to put he stretch 4 on him. DJ could just dive cut from the weak side the way that he already does.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He gets easy buckets, and reliably so. He averaged 11.5ppg this year, and only scored 20+ on 7 occasions. You can put him down for 3-4 easy buckets every game.

Sure. But he's not a guy you're ever going to want to go to when you need an easy bucket. He'll get you those 3-4 at some point in the game but I'd like a max caliber player to be someone you can rely on, on a possession basis.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
22 wrote:

Something like DJ & Towns is how you could effectively go big in today's NBA. Towns can shoot (even though he wasn't asked to at Kentucky), DJ can passably defend on the perimeter, and it'd be a rebounding nightmare for stretch 4's. And you could even post up effectively with Towns, if they decided to put he stretch 4 on him. DJ could just dive cut from the weak side the way that he already does.

You gotta wonder if Towns had this outside game, why didn't Calipari switch WCS and Towns' roles on offense. Seems like it would have been perfect.

At least it helped Towns' development with his inside game.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:

Yes even if we draft Towns. DJ, Randle and Towns would be a pretty nice big core in a few seasons.

Intriguing but I'd allocate some dollars to sf if that were the case. I would complain if it happened though lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
som3on3_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Max money for a 1 way player? Unless we get CP3 to be able to throw him lobs on offense, he will be completely useless on offense. NO THANKS!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject:

som3on3_10 wrote:
Max money for a 1 way player? Unless we get CP3 to be able to throw him lobs on offense, he will be completely useless on offense. NO THANKS!

You have something against Clarkson who was constantly finding Tarik Black and Ed Davis for lobs?

Also don't neglect the rebounds he gets. There's a reason he shoots 60% it's because he gets rebounds which is very key.
SGSD32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have cheap talent in Clarkson, Kelly, Black, Randle and, hopefully a top five pick and another second rounder and two seconds (although I'm hoping there are some trades with those assets).

Kobe's got one year left.

Pay for a top-shelf defender/rebounder/pick and roll guy... absolutely.

Is this really a question?
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Jordan is worth the max. Not only will he be a defensive anchor but it will also weaken the Clippers.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:
He's a liability as much as he is an asset because of his free throw shooting. I would pay him around 15 million per.

His FT shooting is miniscule to what he brings offensively and defensively

If we plan on using him the way the Clippers do then yes but if we plan on going to him more on offense it could be a problem.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Honestly I would be very happy with a Jordan-Towns center-pf next season. I don't think it will happen though.
som3on3_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
som3on3_10 wrote:

You have something against Clarkson who was constantly finding Tarik Black and Ed Davis for lobs?

Also don't neglect the rebounds he gets. There's a reason he shoots 60% it's because he gets rebounds which is very key.

I have nothing against Clarkson finding Black and Davis for lobs because Black and Davis aren't making max money.
som3on3_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
defense wrote:
He's a liability as much as he is an asset because of his free throw shooting. I would pay him around 15 million per.

His FT shooting is miniscule to what he brings offensively and defensively

If we plan on using him the way the Clippers do then yes but if we plan on going to him more on offense it could be a problem.

The way the Clippers used him has a lot to do with this guy called CP3, someone we currently don't have.
revgen
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject:

No. 15 mil/yr tops.

The max is for guys like Marc Gasol or D12.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject:

som3on3_10 wrote:

No one on the Lakers can throw a lob?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
22 wrote:

Yes even if we draft Towns. DJ, Randle and Towns would be a pretty nice big core in a few seasons.

Intriguing but I'd allocate some dollars to sf if that were the case. I would complain if it happened though lol

Randle would spend time at SF
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: